[APP+DRV] [Keys remapper] Topaz Keyboard Controller GSM v1.4

Search This thread

tarkim

Mar 12, 2008
This is for Topaz only! Do not try to install this on other devices!
Do not ask me to make a version for other device since my remappers are driver dependent and this can be very and very complicated without real device (if possible at all).

By requests of Topaz owners... here you are :)

What is it ?
It's a solution that allows you to remap ALL keys of your device.
Any key (yeah, i mean ANY, including Home and Back keys) can be reassigned to perform desired actions.

Features:
  • Different event types supported: single, double and triple clicks, long presses
  • Two modes of key mapping: three actions per key or direct key mapping
  • Key repeats in direct key mapping mode
  • Actions sequence repeats in actions mode
  • Key combinations using FN modifier
  • Default key behaviour action - you won't loose key's default behaviour if you just want to add double click or long press to it
  • Different key behaviour depending on foreground process/window class/window text
  • Multiple rules for each key to provide different behaviour for each application you want
  • Multiple actions for each event
  • Different predefined actions:
    • Run program
    • Key press emulation
    • Send symbol/text to active window
    • Close active window
    • Switch to window by class/text
    • Terminate data connection
    • Wi-Fi toggle
    • BT toggle
    • Screen rotation
    • Power management (screen power toggle, suspend, reset)
  • Exceptions lists which are used to deny key remapping depending on foreground process/window class/window text
  • Configurable long press and double click duration
  • Configuration import/export in configurator

Changelog is located here.
Configurator UI localization support information is located here.

Requirements:
- .NET CF 2.0 (for configurator app)

Installing:
- Install SdkCerts.cab
- Install TopazKbdControl_XXX.cab
- Soft reset
- Check if keyboard works by pressing hardware buttons and seeing if they do their work, if not - uninstall cab, this wouldn't work on your current ROM (PM me if you still want this to work on your device)
- If it works - go to the control panel and find "Keyboard Config" on a System page

How to define key processing:
- Run configurator (Control Panel -> System -> Keyboard Config)
- Press Menu -> Add key
- When dialog asking you to press key appears press and release desired key
- Set up needed options in key setup dialog and press OK (left softkey)
- In configurator's main window press left softkey "Update settings" to let new configuration take place (reboot is not needed, coz new settings will work immediately after saving)

Backup before installing of modified driver is strongly recommended.
Be careful when downloading the cab, make sure you choose the correct version suitable for your device.

Raphael's version thread here and Rhodium's one here.

CDMA owners can try to install GSM version, but i'm not responsible for any damage given to you device or information stored in it. Maybe there will be version for CDMA devices if GSM one wouldn't work.

Attachments

• TopazKbdControl_GSM_1.4.zip
    129.8 KB · Views: 3,539
Last edited:
C

cheyenne

Thank You one More Time!

tarkim, Thank you one more time for This Cool Program!
Alex from 4pda :)

tarkim

Mar 12, 2008
Hi and congrats !

Do you think this app+drv could work on GSM Blackstone ???

Thx in advance
nope
this version is only for Topaz since it contains its keypad driver which is hardware dependent
besides making a version for Blackstone is more complicated - it has four touch keys which are handled by other driver, not keypad one
don't think i can help with this without real device

lezink

Dec 7, 2004
:(
There's an app (mobile magic) that allows to remap nearly all button (except home). Maybe this could be of any help.....

BTW, thanks for fast answer.

adek23

Jul 10, 2009
Core Player compatibility?

Hi, its very fine app I must say, thank you!

Unfortunately I can't get it to work with Core Player (I want to map VOL_UP/VOL_DOWN with forward/back). It seems that CorePlayer has some other way to recognize keypresses, in normal situation, there is standard HTC volume screen, and when I change CorePlayer's option "Capture all buttons (like games)" it is better (eg. no volume screen) but it sees no difference no matter if I change behaviour of key or not. It maps VOL_UP and VOL_DOWN as #E5. However, there is application which works good with Core Player, it is VolDpad (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=552947) - it is different keyboard remap technique?

tarkim

Mar 12, 2008
Hi, its very fine app I must say, thank you!

Unfortunately I can't get it to work with Core Player (I want to map VOL_UP/VOL_DOWN with forward/back). It seems that CorePlayer has some other way to recognize keypresses, in normal situation, there is standard HTC volume screen, and when I change CorePlayer's option "Capture all buttons (like games)" it is better (eg. no volume screen) but it sees no difference no matter if I change behaviour of key or not. It maps VOL_UP and VOL_DOWN as #E5. However, there is application which works good with Core Player, it is VolDpad (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=552947) - it is different keyboard remap technique?
can use explain how you configured vol up and vol down keys ? or post your config here please
in any case you should use direct key mapping mode with Left and Right key codes for VOL_DOWN and VOL_UP keys resrectively, and don't forget to turn on key repeat for each of them - in this way you will get desired forward and back in CorePlayer

vua777

Jun 13, 2005
i hope your girlfriend use a touch HD someday and you make her a driver
the home button on touch hd is useless from now

losdrivare

Jul 17, 2008
i hope your girlfriend use a touch HD someday and you make her a driver
the home button on touch hd is useless from now

First, how are you going to get somebody to help you with your problem, acting like that? :D

Second, if you installed this on a Touch HD, you are to blame yourself. This is for Topaz, not Blackstone. It clearly says for Topaz in post 1 and it says NOT for Blackstone in post 4.

Third, I'd be VERY surprised if this can not be solved. Tried uninstalling the app and soft-reset? In worst case a hard reset should sort this out.

Last edited:

franklopez

Aug 28, 2007
Lisboa
I've installed this software and i've tryed to remap volum up/ down to page Up/down.

I've chose process and put the name of the aplication but it doesn't work, the volume up/down stop working and in the app the down / up doesnt work.

I have 2 actions 4 each key one * wich does nothing and a new one that i've created.

please help.

thanx.

tarkim

Mar 12, 2008
I've installed this software and i've tryed to remap volum up/ down to page Up/down.

I've chose process and put the name of the aplication but it doesn't work, the volume up/down stop working and in the app the down / up doesnt work.

I have 2 actions 4 each key one * wich does nothing and a new one that i've created.
more info please, more info...
post your config here
you have GSM or CDMA device ?
have you tried to use other settings ?
other keys continue working even after remapping ?

lobo81

Aug 20, 2007
The Hague

please help.

thanx.

Ok, I just tried it myself and it does work. Here is how I've done it.

1 - click menu - add key
2 - press volume up
3 - event = click - action = emulate key press
4 - key = 33 page up
5 - event = long press - action = default key action
6 - click OK
7 - click update config

This way the volume up key will work as page up (I tested this with opera only and reading a news page it worked great) when you click it ONCE and when you do a LONG PRESS it will turn up your volume.

You can repeat these steps for the volume down key and it will work too.

I've just tested this and it works. I haven't tested it within and explorer (let's say total commander) but in opera it works great for scrolling up or down a page.

Cheers!

Bothkill

Aug 16, 2009
Bucharest
This is a great application!

Thank you!

One request though:

First to set the context.
I've seen from other threads that (first step) you have to assign the default action to the button and then (second step) re-map the button to your desired function for the desired application.
If you don't do the first step, the respective button will behave as re-mapped for all applications.

Now the problem concerns the button's backlight.
By default, when a button is presses the backlight comes on.

Now, is it possible to disable the backlight function only when using the button in the re-mapped case? (i.e. only for the second step above and not for first step).

The main reason is to avoid draining the battery when using frequently the re-mapped buttons.

franklopez

Aug 28, 2007
Lisboa
Ok, I just tried it myself and it does work. Here is how I've done it.

1 - click menu - add key
2 - press volume up
3 - event = click - action = emulate key press
4 - key = 33 page up
5 - event = long press - action = default key action
6 - click OK
7 - click update config

This way the volume up key will work as page up (I tested this with opera only and reading a news page it worked great) when you click it ONCE and when you do a LONG PRESS it will turn up your volume.

You can repeat these steps for the volume down key and it will work too.

I've just tested this and it works. I haven't tested it within and explorer (let's say total commander) but in opera it works great for scrolling up or down a page.

Cheers!

now it works, but 4 my application the keys are up /down.

Tanx a lot.

lobo81

Aug 20, 2007
The Hague

Thank you!

One request though:

I've seen from other threads that (first step) you have to assign the default action to the button and then (second step) re-map the button to your desired function for the desired application.
If you don't do the first step, the respective button will behave as re-mapped for all applications.

Now, is it possible to disable the backlight function only when using the button in the re-mapped case? (i.e. only for the second step above and not for first step).

The main reason is to avoid draining the battery when using frequently the re-mapped buttons.

It really depends on what you want to do with the keys. For example, I've reassigned the back key to single press = open total commander and long press = open pTravelAlarm. So I don't use it as default. In your case, yes you should assign the click = default action and long press = whatever you want.

Cheers.

tarkim

Mar 12, 2008

Thank you!

One request though:

not clear for me what is the problem (or maybe not problem ? :)) with default key action
you have to set it for any event if you don't want to loose default key behaviour, this is not strict requirement

about rules:
there is default rule (*) for all applications which is used when no other matching rule is found
key remains unremapped if you select 'do not remap' for this rule (or any other)
if you add rule for particular application and default rule has an option to not remap key, then remapping for that key would work only in this application
hope was clear enough :)

can't promise anything about backlight at this moment, this is not critical