[RECOVERY LOCKED/ND3] Safestrap Recovery v3.75 [2014-06-26 B03]

Search This thread

s8freak

Jan 17, 2013
Sanger
Yeah bro, I just Odin back to NG3 and still have the same issue with safe strap. So idk what the hell.

You broke the phone that's what happens when you become a truck driver there's no turn signals on your phone LOL
you need to update Superuser I bet

---------- Post added at 06:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 AM ----------

Or your SD card is bad

berniesteven

Apr 20, 2010
Tamworth
Is it just me, or is anyone else having an issue with the date being wrong in ss recovery? It's been wrong since I first started, but this is the first I've mentioned it.
Thanks

SM-G870A Peace

Oops, just realized I posted in the wrong thread. Should be in Q&A.

Last edited:

markbnj

my pain with downgrading/rooting my SM-G900A

As a junior member it would behoove you to spend a lot more time reading.
The question you just asked leads me to believe you didn't read or search at all since it's been answered many times months ago.
The search function is there for a reason.
I really take issue with his not searching. I've had multiple windows open for 3-5 days (about 2 hrs/day) searching for this info to get my S5/AT&T working right
As an FYI, I am keeping track, and writing a list of steps that I take to get this right, and will post it as a How-to, when I get it successfully finished,

My AT&T G5 is brand new, with a kernel build date of 1/9/2015.
What I've found so far is:
a) SafeStrap requires root.
b) Root (towel-Root v3) does NOT work on roms AFTER june 3rd 2014.
c) there is a very complicated (and I've been a unix administrator over 30+ years) thread that was pointed to HERE, that I am attempting to download/follow):

http://xdaforums.com/att-galaxy-s5/general/g900and3tong3keeprootota-zip-t2862299
which says:
1. Take the NG3 OTA update.
-->> I don't think I need this. but have downloaded it.​

2. Download and install Towelroot-v3.apk(this version does not require internet access).
--> THIS WILL NOT work for builds after 6/3/14!!!​
ALSO NOTE that this will trigger Antivirus and Android alarms when downloading!
3. Place your phone into "Download Mode" (press and hold the Home, Volume Down, and
Power keys until the phone powers on and displays warning screen, then press Volume Up key) and flash the G900A_ND3_Stock_Kernel using Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).
---> Geez.. THAT's a lot to decipher if you're not a power user.
I show that step to say: (and please correct me if I'm wrong):
3a) DOWNLOAD Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).​
3b) Run/install odin's pda slot.. (I didnt search this on HOW yet...)​
3b.1 test reboot/download/ the ODIN app​
3c) (forgotten step: copy your G900a_ND3_Stock Kernel to your memory card!
3d) Place your phone into "Download Mode" (press and hold the Home, Volume Down, and
Power keys until the phone powers on and displays warning screen, then press Volume Up key) and flash the G900A_ND3_Stock_Kernel​
If I am correct, this will downgrade your G900A ROM from the current version (mine is Build # KTU84P.G900AUU2A0A1 to the stock version from before june 3rd.

4. Open the Towelroot app from your app drawer and press "Make it Rain" to root your device.
5. Power off then boot into "Download Mode" again and flash the G900A_NG3_Stock_Kernel also using Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).
6. Install SuperSU to manage root access. Done!

Please comment and add/subtract to this, so I can see if this will work.
NB: New note:
After much more searching, just found this (didn't find before)
VERY GOOD guide on restoring a bricked G900A/or downgrading it
(WHICH is what we need to do to get root and then a new ROM!)

SIGH...
-----------UPDATES-----------
I did FINALLY successfully downgrade my phone from jan version 4.4.4 to a a kernel dated mar-14-2014.
IT was SIGNIFICANTLY painful, and I did think I softbricked my phone for 2 days, before getting it correct!

Here are the steps I did for success:
a) downloaded odin version 3.09 (didn't try 3.10)
b) downloaded towel-root apk (see above for comments, and pain involved)
c) downloaded (apparently, a bad) version of the software
c.1) CORRECT version that worked like a charm was here
Linky to download HERE:
I did use odin, and the original file discussed, did NOT work.
d) After getting 4.4.2 installed, towel-root worked like a champ,
e) next I will install safestrap, and then try and figure out which ROM to finally install.

----------------------
Bottom LINE? if you Don'T already have a Samsung Galaxy S5, RUN!!! don't walk, and buy a unlocked LG3 or something else for around the same $$$$!!!
I already hate this phone..
(and my new otterbox case for the S5 is LESS sturdy then my old otterbox for the SII!)

I am quite upset I didn't choose a LG G3 (or G4) instead of this piece of JUNKQUE!
sigh
A full guide will follow (search for my name) when I finish my upgrade (I am writing it as I upgrade to make it very step-by-step, and am essentially attempting to follow the above guide to restore a bricked G900A to download a lower version of the ROM.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmerlyn

nutt_case

Sep 15, 2011
Shreveport LA
Hey guys, I hope this thread still has a pulse. Anyway, I've installed everything in the correct order and by the OP s instructions except I can't seem to find any reference to my build anywhere on d
XDA. I have the AT&T S5 Active Build #KTU84P.G870A70AUCU1AOA1. Any advice on where I could find the safestrap ask for this phone? Thx a million.

The latest beta build in the op works on the active. Unfortunately SS no longer works on 5.0....looks like everyone is moving to FlashFire.

sent from my nexus 4....probably cause I bricked my S5....

The latest beta build in the op works on the active. Unfortunately SS no longer works on 5.0....looks like everyone is moving to FlashFire.

sent from my nexus 4....probably cause I bricked my S5....

Thx for responding bro...seems I managed to brick the S5 Active (stuck on boot screen) Can't boot into TWRP via safestrap but am able to use hardware button method to gaid stock recovery access. Is it possible to flash a stock image here zip here or should I attempt flashing a ,tar via Odin? Btw, my son is pissed since it is his phone that is we're discussing...lol. thx for any help you can offer

nutt_case

Sep 15, 2011
Shreveport LA
Thx for responding bro...seems I managed to brick the S5 Active (stuck on boot screen) Can't boot into TWRP via safestrap but am able to use hardware button method to gaid stock recovery access. Is it possible to flash a stock image here zip here or should I attempt flashing a ,tar via Odin? Btw, my son is pissed since it is his phone that is we're discussing...lol. thx for any help you can offer

Best bet would be to flash the stock nce .tar in odin...that should get you back up and running and you can go from their.

Link is in the notes section of this post:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=60141953

Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A

u1988

Dec 22, 2011
Can Anyone please give us links to roms base on 900F ,
That will work with Safestrap Recovery on 900A/900V (Non-Aroma installer) ?!

u1988

Dec 22, 2011
That's why one must READ THE OP

I did many times and still not found an answer...Aroma Mentioned only in #2 after OP,
My goal is to find in S5 a rom base rom 900F and without Aroma - install (In Here Not in AT&T/Verizon Fourm),
I still dosn't know how to Identify Non-Aroma that will work on Safe...on 900V+900A.

s8freak

Jan 17, 2013
Sanger
I did many times and still not found an answer...Aroma Mentioned only in #2 after OP,
My goal is to find in S5 a rom base rom 900F and without Aroma - install (In Here Not in AT&T/Verizon Fourm),
I still dosn't know how to Identify Non-Aroma that will work on Safe...on 900V+900A.

They OP will state if there is a non aroma zip not many G900F Roms are non aroma. G900F Rom Pyrana is one of them. You state G900V are you Verizon?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *** DISCLAIMER ***
    I work on projects that may brick your device. Don't sue me, hate me or try and kill my dog if that happens. I will feel bad the community will feel bad and hopefully we'll find a way to get you going again. But, the very nature of my projects involves a certain amount of risk taken by YOU. And by using the projects that I work on, you've accepted that fact.

THERE IS AN UNKNOWN ISSUE WHERE IF YOU HAVE ENCRYPTION ENABLED AND INSTALL SS IT BOOTLOOPS. IF YOU FIT THIS DESCRIPTION PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM SAFESTRAP FOR NOW.

AT&T Samsung Galaxy S5 Safestrap

SAFESTRAP INSTALLATION VIDEO BY @Tomsgt:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d-cPtK-CR8&feature=youtu.be

CURRENT PROJECT STATUS:
    BETA v3.75 (ND3)

READ KNOWN ISSUES IN POST #2
    MAKE SURE YOU CHECK REQUIREMENTS BELOW BEFORE INSTALLING

WHAT IS SAFESTRAP?

Safestrap is a Bootstrap / Recovery for locked bootloader phones. The goal is to avoid touching your primary system (I'll call this "stock" system) and only flash or make large changes to another place on your phone that Safestrap treats as a "2nd system" (in this case, it's a series of virtual ROM slots located on the internal emmc area: "/sdcard"). Once installed, you will see a "Splashscreen" giving you the option to hit "menu" to enter recovery. The recovery portion of Safestrap is now based on TWRP 2.7.1.x (a touch based recovery) and you can perform .zip installs, backups and restores here. The additional features I've added to TWRP are mostly located under the "Boot Options" menu:
    1. Here you can create virtual ROM-slots (probably only 1 on the S5 due to partition size and internal space) for flashing ROMs. These ROM-slots allow for different sizes of /system, /data and /cache partitions. The defaults *SHOULD* be good enough for flashing the stock-based ROMs.

NOTE: The bigger you make these partition the less room you will have to make other ROM-slots.
    2. You can activate a new ROM-slot by choosing the slot you wish to make active and then selecting the "Activate" button. Once active, you will see the "rom-slot#" up in the top of the screen shown in green. If you make the "stock" ROM active, then you can see it in the top shown in red.
    3. Once a ROM-slot is active, all actions you would normally perform using TWRP are directed to that ROM-slot. For example, "Install" to flash a .zip, backup and restore.
    4. For more information you can read up here:
      http://blog.hash-of-codes.com/how-to-safestrap/

HOW DO I INSTALL SAFESTRAP?
    1. Requirement: Root
    2. Requirement: busybox. If your stock ROM doesn't have it built-in you need to grab "Busybox" from the Play Store and run the installer.
    3. Requirement: External SD card
    4. Requirement: Remove (temporarily) XPosed framework while installing Safestrap
    5. Requirement: Allow APK install from Unknown Sources
    6. Download the Safestrap APK
    7. Find the APK using a Filemanager tool and open it on your device, then click "Install".
    8. (If updating from an existing Safestrap you might be warned that this will over-write the existing installation. Click the "Yes" equivalent to this message.)
    9. Once installed, open up the Safestrap application as you would any other app.
    10. Agree to the disclaimer that you won't try to sue me and hunt me down with a rifle if you manage to break your phone..
    11. Then use the "Install Recovery" button. You should see the current version down in the lower left corner of the window. And the "Status:" should say "Installed" when you're done.
    12. From there you can reboot and you *should* see a new splash screen during the boot up. While this is showing you can enter Safestrap Recovery using the [ menu ] button.
    13. That's it for the installation! Read below for a brief overview of Safestrap Recovery v3.x

HOW DO I ENTER RECOVERY?

During each reboot a splashscreen will be displayed showing whether the device is running a rom-slot or on the "Stock ROM".
    Press the button shown on the screen to either enter "RECOVERY" or "CONTINUE" booting (or the hard button underneath each option).

HOW DO I UPGRADE SAFESTRAP?
    • Push the APK up to your sdcard.
    • Boot back into the "stock" rom-slot.
    • Go into your old Safestrap app and use the "Uninstall Recovery" button
    • THEN, open a "file explorer" of some sort (even TW "My Files" will work)
    • Browse to where you pushed the APK
    • Click on it and install like normal
    • Once installed, open the APK
    • Grant SU access
    • Use the "Install Recovery" button
    • All set, now you can reboot and re-activate whatever rom-slot you were using

DOWNLOADS:
    CONFIRM THAT YOU ARE USING AN AT&T SAMSUNG GALAXY S5

FIND YOUR STOCK OPERATING SYSTEM VERSION BELOW AND USE THAT FILENAME:

[KITKAT:ND3]
    LATEST BETA FILE: Safestrap-KLTEATT-ND3-3.75-B03.apk
    XDA Downloads
    Mirror 1 (Crackflasher)

As of version 3.75, Safestrap Recovery is now based on TWRP 2.7.1.x. For more on TWRP you can visit their website: http://www.teamw.in/

WARNING: Safestrap is heavily modified to be "Safe" for your device. Do not download TWRP from their website and expect it to work the same way. Also TWRP does not support Safestrap, tho some issues that may come up will be TWRP dependant, please try and contact myself or look on the forums for your device for answers before hunting down TWRP people. They won't be able to help w/ Safestrap specific questions.

For the purposes of direct user testing I've established a channel on freenode.net IRC: #safestrap
    I'm in the channel mostly all the time, but may not be active for discussion.

Special Thanks To
    DeesTroy & TeamWin for all their hard work making TWRP such a fantastic recovery. If you are considering a donation, then please have a look at the Team WIN website: http://teamw.in/project/twrp2

XDA:DevDB Information
    Safestrap Recovery v3.75, Tool/Utility for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 5

Contributors
    Hashcode, DeesTroy & TeamWin

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: 3.75 B03
    Beta Release Date: 2014-06-26

Created 2014-06-25
    Last Updated 2014-06-26
    Reserved

DO NOT USE ROM-SLOTS YET. STILL DEBUGGING A MOUNTING ISSUE WHERE IT WIPES THE INTERNAL STORAGE.

KNOWN ISSUES:
    • If you install Safestrap on a rom-slot it will show "not installed". *DO NOT INSTALL SAFESTRAP ON A ROM-SLOT*
    • Rebooting from a rom-slot will end up at a blank screen. Battery pull and re-power on.
    • Sometimes the installation doesn't work correctly. If you don't see the splashscreen after a rebooting. Install Safestrap again. (DEBUGGING THIS AS I GET TIME)
    • If you don't see files on "Micro SDcard" for some reason try tapping that area and swapping to "Internal Storage" and then back again.
    • No Aroma installer support. This is due to the stock S5 kernel framebuffer. To build a recovery which worked, it needed QCOM patches. So will Aroma.
      If you try a .zip file with an Aroma installer, it will most likely just hang.
    • If you use the "4way reboot" mod, then "Reboot Recovery" button in the Safestrap APK won't work correctly.
    Had a user test rom-slots and it showed "Device memory damaged" and then it wiped the ENTIRE internal storage.

So no go for rom-slots for now, till i figure out what happened.

That would be me.

Don't mind sacrificing my phone a few times before we get this figured out :p
    **Updated** Safestrap-G900A-KitKat-3.75 w/Working ROM Slots

Here it is: Safestrap-G900A-KitKat-3.75.apk

All precautions, limitations, and known issues stated in the OP still apply! Proceed to install and use at your own risk!

Changelog:
    1. Resolved "reboot from ROM-slot bug."

Instructions: Make certain that you have BusyBox installed! (Make certain that you open the BusyBox app after downloading from the Play Store and actually install BusyBox!).
    1. Uninstall previous Safestrap recovery version using the Safestrap app "Uninstall Recovery" function.
    2. Uninstall the previous Safestrap app from your app drawer.
    3. Go into SuperSu settings and "forget" the previous safestrap version's root privileges.
    4. Place the new Safestrap.apk onto your sdcard or extsdcard.
    5. Install the new Safestrap.apk.
    6. Locate and open the new Safestrap app from your app drawer and press "Install Recovery." Done!

Known Issues:
    None!...yet.

Please note: This is a Development Thread! Therefore, please do not post comments related to ROM specific issues, favorite ROM's, that weird rash that won't go away, etc., in this thread. Please use the following thread in the General section for non-development related discussion: http://xdaforums.com/att-galaxy-s5/general/updated-safestrap-g900a-kitkat-3-75-apk-t2938105

Credits:
    Hashcode
    I've uploaded a new beta for Safestrap S5 ATT.

HOW DO I UPGRADE SAFESTRAP?
    • Push the APK up to your sdcard.
    • Boot back into the "stock" rom-slot.
    • Go into your old Safestrap app and use the "Uninstall Recovery" button
    • THEN, open a "file explorer" of some sort (even TW "My Files" will work)
    • Browse to where you pushed the APK
    • Click on it and install like normal
    • Once installed, open the APK
    • Grant SU access
    • Use the "Install Recovery" button
    • All set, now you can reboot and re-activate whatever rom-slot you were using

CHANGELOG
    • [2014-06-26]I also included a slightly different init binary in this release in hopes that it might stop the "Device Memory" issue. But only testing will tell.
    • [2014-06-26]Fixed /data/media files being included in backups (making them huge)
    • [2014-06-26]Changed splashmenu time from 8 seconds to 4 seconds (trying to avoid "device memory" error)
    • [2014-06-24]initial release

DOWNLOADS:
    CONFIRM THAT YOU ARE USING AN AT&T SAMSUNG GALAXY S5
    FIND YOUR STOCK OPERATING SYSTEM VERSION BELOW AND USE THAT FILENAME:

[KITKAT:ND3]
    LATEST BETA FILE: Safestrap-KLTEATT-ND3-3.75-B03.apk
    XDA Downloads
    Mirror 1 (Crackflasher)

The KEY change in this update is that I fixed a bug with backups where the internal storage was being included (making the backups HUGE). Backups normally do not include the internal storage area.

However, this also means if you get hit with the corruption screen and it formats your userdata partition.. your backup won't have the internal storage files in them from now on.

MAKE SURE TO KEEP STUFF ON YOUR EXTERNAL SD.

Doing my very best to debug this wipe issue that is happening on the S5. And I thank you for your patience.