Memory speed, SD cards, and Directory Bind.

Search This thread

ChodTheWacko

Feb 8, 2011
Hey Everyone,

I recently discovered the wonderful program 'Directory Bind' which basically lets you redirect a directory from /sdcard to somewhere else.
(i.e. you external memory card!) This is fantastic since some games (Like Bard's Tale) consume a gig of /sdcard space and apps2sd doesn't work.

I also discovered that 'sd tools', whch allows you to test read/write to a directory allows specifying any directory, so can select a directory in /sdcard and test the internal memory speeds.

I noticed, for my Lexar Class 10 card (LSDMI32GBSBNAR), I got 10 MB/s write, and 20 MB/s read.
For my Note 1, the internal memory has only 5.4 MB/s write, but 47 MB/s read (!!!!)

I am now very curious how the memory speeds of the Note 2 are, and also what the speed of the SD interface of the Note 2 is.
But it's nice to get confirmation that games/whatever should load considerably faster if you keep them on internal memory.

- Frank

DMax99

Aug 30, 2010
Does this app works properly on the note 2?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

wonsanim

Jan 25, 2007
Hey Everyone,

I recently discovered the wonderful program 'Directory Bind' which basically lets you redirect a directory from /sdcard to somewhere else.
(i.e. you external memory card!) This is fantastic since some games (Like Bard's Tale) consume a gig of /sdcard space and apps2sd doesn't work.

I also discovered that 'sd tools', whch allows you to test read/write to a directory allows specifying any directory, so can select a directory in /sdcard and test the internal memory speeds.

I noticed, for my Lexar Class 10 card (LSDMI32GBSBNAR), I got 10 MB/s write, and 20 MB/s read.
For my Note 1, the internal memory has only 5.4 MB/s write, but 47 MB/s read (!!!!)

I am now very curious how the memory speeds of the Note 2 are, and also what the speed of the SD interface of the Note 2 is.
But it's nice to get confirmation that games/whatever should load considerably faster if you keep them on internal memory.

- Frank

Hey Frank,I can't find in the market?:confused:

ChodTheWacko

Feb 8, 2011

It's an xda app:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1410262

Some notes:
1) First: Go into settings -> default data path and change it to: /mnt/extSdCard/
It is currently the old ICS directory of /sdcard/external_sdcard

2) Simple Instructions:

First, find a big directory with your data.
Run DiskUage, select 'Storage Card'. Note the directory pattern, i.e. Android/data/com.ea.deadspace_na

Menu -> add new entry
Menu -> data transfer assistant
Find the directory you used above.
Hit 'Add'.

Hit the disk to activate the mount. It should turn green.

Now rerun DiskUsage.
A) You should see a new 'disk' which corresponds to the directory you just moved.
B) Check 'Storage Card'. You probably need to 'Rescan'. You should have more memory now.

Now try playing the game or whatever you just moved.

- Frank

apprentice

Apr 22, 2005
NORWICH, England
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
It's an xda app:

Some notes:
1) First: Go into settings -> default data path and change it to: /mnt/extSdCard/

2) Simple Instructions:

Run DiskUage, select 'Storage Card'. Note the directory pattern, i.e. Android/data/com.ea.deadspace_na

Menu -> add new entry
Hit 'Add'.

Now rerun DiskUsage.
A) You should see a new 'disk' which corresponds to the directory you just moved.
B) Check 'Storage Card'. You probably need to 'Rescan'. You should have more memory now.

- Frank

You would not believe it but finding your post here has saved me hours of anguish! The one flaw I found in the Note II was the crazy storage problem. Now resolved. Thank you so much!

ChodTheWacko

Feb 8, 2011
By the way, I highly recommend, before doing a nandroid/CM backup, to turn off the binds.
Since the data is already on your external card, there's not much point in backing it up again.

Not to mention: if you do a restore you might exceed your internal memory.

- Frank

Nazar78

Mar 29, 2006
Singapore
By the way, I highly recommend, before doing a nandroid/CM backup, to turn off the binds.
Since the data is already on your external card, there's not much point in backing it up again.

- Frank

Need not actually, this app is doing the bind only after boot complete, mount -o bind,rw target newpath. In cwm you will not see this bind because it doesn't exists in the recovery fstab...

---------- Post added at 03:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 AM ----------

Hello there

Is there any application besides Directory Bind that does the same operations in a more user-friendly way? :)
Thanks a lot

This app is the most user friendly. Unless you load your own shell script from init.d...:D

Reactions: alexandruvlad

alexandruvlad

Mar 10, 2010
Bucharest
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks!
Does this app got anything to do with the functionality of Directory Bind => Paragon exFAT, NTFS & HFS+ ?
I've seen it presented by many users on YouTube and it looks really cool and useful for high capacity microSDs

Nazar78

Mar 29, 2006
Singapore
Thanks!
Does this app got anything to do with the functionality of Directory Bind => Paragon exFAT, NTFS & HFS+ ?
I've seen it presented by many users on YouTube and it looks really cool and useful for high capacity microSDs

I've not seen any of those vids, but yes you can practically bind any directory from any fs mount that your kernel supports ie exfat/ntfs. But remember though only fat is supported in recoveries ie cwm/twrp2. Meaning if you choose exfat, you will not see your extsdcard in recovery mode...

Nicoga97

Nov 25, 2012
Bogota
Can someone help me i tried to create the blind directory but when the app say that create it I put create and it stay in that screen

francois13

Dec 16, 2011
Paris
DirectoryBind crashes regularly on Note II

Basically, it works. Crashes from time to time, but still works. Till it doesn't.
And I don't really know what to do: I need to move my Spotify cache ; link2sd and consorts don't do it.

I'm trying an init.d script, but i'm not so good at it :(

Any ideas ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

It's an xda app:

Some notes:

2) Simple Instructions:

Menu -> add new entry
    Hit 'Add'.

Now rerun DiskUsage.

- Frank
    Hey Everyone,

- Frank
    Does this app works properly on the note 2?

yea, works great.

Awesome...will try it tonight. :)

- Frank

Need not actually, this app is doing the bind only after boot complete, mount -o bind,rw target newpath. In cwm you will not see this bind because it doesn't exists in the recovery fstab...

---------- Post added at 03:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 AM ----------

Hello there

Is there any application besides Directory Bind that does the same operations in a more user-friendly way? :)
    Thanks a lot

This app is the most user friendly. Unless you load your own shell script from init.d...:D