[icons] pdo27789s hobby thread

Search This thread

PDo27789

Sep 9, 2013
I'm going to have some fun in here. This is "me time" that hopefully can produce something interesting to others here, to help give back to XDA for making my devices awesome.
I am very new to icons, and image editing in general, so tips, suggestions, critique, requests, feedback of any kind, will be appreciated. Thanks for dropping by,
John, aka Proud Dad Of 2 July 7 August 9

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

P6n0K2A.jpg

I put these together with tasker and widgets in mind. They are all the same size / style. Flipping from one to another will give an on / off look.

I put all of these into one Download Folder. The filenames are fairly straightforward. The bottom right two are transparent glass and chrome overkill.

I enjoy transparency, so here's a few more.

waterdrop glyph only 300x300 72mb
wpEkpBO.jpg

transparent glass button 300x300 122mb
ZjW90eq.png

yin & yang series

Each of these has 1927 icons, 200x200. Want something different, just ask.

yin&yyang2 transparent water drops
vSJQT5a.png

yin&yang2 chrome
R0gdGLD.jpg

yin&yang1 black & white
4QQthjQ.jpg

yin&yang1 black chrome and paper
3CePsOS.png

yin&yang1 red chrome and paper
yDbRW7n.png

crayola hex code buttons

en9QtQ0.jpg

Crayola Hex Download Folder

PE4uXLa.jpg

alum2dark blue

6QSaxTg.jpg

alum2dark orange

texture buttons series

Using my own texture pictures again, this time to make a round button, and some of the glyphs. Each set is 200x200, with 1800+ icons.
If the file size scares you off, look at the aluminium buttons. It has a subtle texture that cuts the file size nerly in half. I'd also be happy to run sets with lower a resolution. Just ask.

transparent1
transparent1 supplement set, bringing it up to 1917 icons now.
transparent1 supplement2, 10 new icons
85MeRwk.png

aluminium1
aluminium1 supplement set, now 1917 icons also
aluminium1 supplement2, 10 new icons
WlNj1lU.png

aluminium1a bluetint1
lWnQoeU.png

aluminium1a yellowtint1
zOiINy4.png

headphones
YEmAImv.png

headphones1a beer
FUIGucA.png

headphones1a bluesky
D2akCAG.png

headphones1a exitsign
2t0w0oA.png

headphones1a greenleaf
hX6UU8H.png

headphones1a redstop
TghNuD6.png

steel1
2nhV8Kb.png

bluesteel
96j9yNU.png

copper
uPVqQrj.png

greencopper
tXAjSE5.png

mic series

Mic is short for micrometer thimble, a cool texture that I ran with. 200x200 with 1800+ icons

orange1grey1
mFDzGFz.png

green1grey4
8oS5pMb.png

red3grey5
tl7pY5w.png

purple1grey5
uAaz9jy.png

pink1grey5
59nFgjY.png

picframe series

My own texture pictures with a simple frame. Each is 144x144, with 1800+ icons. If you like this idea, go to the 7th post. There are more backgrounds I can run if you want.

bluesky white bevel
WOORuBb.png

drillchips black chisel bevel
zKztu12.png

green suitcase grey bevel
SkWaOEz.png

millchips black bevel
plYWP2H.png

yellowsign black flat
Ouh4jkd.png

graffiti1 (my first design)

I plan to revisit this soon. I have added to the playstore set while making the new glyphs, so I should have enough to make a decent set. I'm aiming for mid May.

OLq7IfO.jpg

Only 32, but 3 versions of each. I made these for my own use, but if anyone wants this to be a larger set, just ask.

Download:
http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407580400

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Playstore / Greyscale Playstore Icons

jceSEA8.jpg

Interest for these seems to have dried up, but if you want me to add more, just ask. Only 440 of each, downloaded at 256x256, png. More info in 3rd post.

Download playstore icons:
http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407576582

Download greyscale playstore icons:
http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407576583

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If using zooper and nova, the app drawer shortcut can be found under module OnTap - shortcuts - nova launcher - app drawer

Last edited:

PDo27789

Sep 9, 2013
I'm working on a thanks section. I feel I've come a long way in a very short period of time. I have the XDA community to thank ...

@Fugi888 for sharing links and know how, getting me off my phone and on to photoshop proper

@mloc33 for great tips, feedback, and for sharing your work

@Pfaffinator for the photoshop tutorials, and for your part in the 1800 icon base set

@SeriouslyCrazy for your part in the 1800 icon base set

@apen83 for your part in sharing the base set

@King Rollo for sharing files so I could make widgets and sliders, my first experience with layers

@vinokirk for asking about a greyscale set a couple months ago, the spark that let to my new hobby

There will be more!

Last edited:

PDo27789

Sep 9, 2013
Playstore / Greyscale

File Modifications:
- Robo defense, kijiji and uninstaller were changed from jpeg to png. For kijiji, I also smudged the corners to make it look better (the jpg left white corners that just looked bad).
- Other than these, no other modifications were made to any icons.

re Stock icons:
- I looked, but could not find a reliable source for stock icons at 256x. If anyone has, or knows where we can find some, let me know. I will update the post and credit anyone with info.
- For now, I've downloaded icons that are similar / identical to stock apps.

The greyscale Icons are identical to the playstore set, just in black and white.

Last edited:
Reactions: xperia4.0

xperia4.0

Jun 20, 2012
mumbai
OnePlus 6
These are icons I've pulled from the play store, 440+ and counting. These are for use with widgets, custom launchers, etc.

There are 2 sets for now, original, and greyscale. I'm working on some other tints and filters, but I will focus on building these two as a base.

Please let me know any icons you want me to add. Doesn't matter how obscure, if it's in the play store and you want an icon, I'll add it to the sets.

- - - - -

Resolution:
- To get started, I've downloaded the icons at 256x. I found many apps have blown up fuzzy images at 512x, so it wasn't worth the effort for a large set.
- I do however plan to put together a 512x set, just not the same quantity. Depends on demand really.

- - - - -

re Stock icons:
- I looked, but could not find a reliable source for stock icons at 256x. If anyone has, or knows where we can find some, let me know. I will update the post and credit anyone with info.
- For now, I've downloaded icons that are similar / identical to stock apps.

- - - - -

File Modifications:
- Robo defense, kijiji and uninstaller were changed from jpeg to png. For kijiji, I smudged the corners to make it look better. The jpg left white corners that just looked bad.
- Other than these, no other modifications were made to the original set. The greyscale set is the same as the original, just in black and white.

Aweeesssssoooommmeee bro...!! Thanks

Sent from my Xperia Mini using Tapatalk

Reactions: PDo27789

vinokirk

Mar 30, 2008
England
Great set of icons! Exactly what I was looking for, and this guy right here made them reality. Hats off to you Pdo.
I hope some of your other ideas come to fruition also!

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

These icons coupled with the Team Blacked Out widgets and apps look great!

PDo27789

Sep 9, 2013
No problem vinokirk. I was amazed that there wasn't an existing greyscale set.

Last edited:

PDo27789

Sep 9, 2013
Here are some backgrounds to go along with my picframe series. If there is interest, I can add many more.

If you have an idea for a set, but there isn't a picture that fits, just ask. I've taken thousands of texture pictures, so I should be able to dig up something. I will even use one of your own pictures if you want. I've only been using photoshop on my desktop for 3 days, so any experience will make me better.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-05-15-40-14.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-04-05-15-40-14.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:
Reactions: Z0R

PDo27789

Sep 9, 2013
@Fugi888,
@mloc33 has been great thus far. Thanks for mentioning him to me.
He is letting me mimic one of his icons to give me practice / pick his brain if I get stuck. I'll hopefully get to it this weekend.
I'm trying to focus on one idea at a time though (mic / reverse), and I'm working on the house, getting ready to list in a few weeks.

Reactions: Fugi888 and mloc33

mloc33

Nov 10, 2010
VA
@Fugi888,
@mloc33 has been great thus far. Thanks for mentioning him to me.
He is letting me mimic one of his icons to give me practice / pick his brain if I get stuck. I'll hopefully get to it this weekend.
I'm trying to focus on one idea at a time though (mic / reverse), and I'm working on the house, getting ready to list in a few weeks.

We`re here man if ya need some help, :)

PDo27789

Sep 9, 2013
I was home today working on the bathroom, so I ran a few batches between coats. I made 5 more for the mic series. They will be uploading while I sleep.
They are in the same folder. I'm up way past bedtime again, so I'll update the preview pic in the morning.

I also worked on some button sets, playing around with bevel and emboss. Please let me know what you think so far / any changes you think I should make.
I should have them up this time tomorrow if there aren't any hangups.

Attachments

• 1397197990693.jpg
    1397197990693.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 305
Reactions: mloc33

mloc33

Nov 10, 2010
VA
I think the green ones could be a little hard to read our make out on the phone, the other two are cool.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

PDo27789

Sep 9, 2013
I think the green ones could be a little hard to read our make out on the phone, the other two are cool.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

True. I was experimenting with a sunken look, but it faded the outline.
Maybe I'll add a duplicate layer, with only a stroke? I'll play around with it tonight.
Thank you for your input! I appreciate it greatly!

Edit:
Perhaps a double bevel like the shiny copper set, keeping the inside lighter?
@mloc33 I should point out that these came about when I started mimicking your icon. I cropped my image and added a bevel, placed the glyph, and got side tracked ...
I'm still new to Photoshop on my desktop, so I get distracted by the multitude of options.

Last edited:
Reactions: mloc33

mloc33

Nov 10, 2010
VA
True. I was experimenting with a sunken look, but it faded the outline.
Maybe I'll add a duplicate layer, with only a stroke? I'll play around with it tonight.
Thank you for your input! I appreciate it greatly!

Edit:
Perhaps a double bevel like the shiny copper set, keeping the inside lighter?
@mloc33 I should point out that these came about when I started mimicking your icon. I cropped my image and added a bevel, placed the glyph, and got side tracked ...
I'm still new to Photoshop on my desktop, so I get distracted by the multitude of options.

That`s how it goes man, I usually get side tracked all the time, damn you Photoshop, :)

PDo27789

Sep 9, 2013

Attachments

• 1397494273864.jpg
    1397494273864.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:

PDo27789

Sep 9, 2013
Great work! Clean designs and have subscribed to your thread.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I'm very happy you enjoy my work. Good to have you aboard. Fellow Ontarian to boot. We're in Hamilton currently, but getting ready to list our house in a few weeks, looking in Caledonia / Bimbrook area.

Never be afraid to comment, request a colour, make suggestions ... I am still very new (designed my first set with PS Touch a month ago tomorrow). Feedback and tips from @fugi88 and @mloc33 have been invaluable thus far. Having another watching and taking part will be amazing!

Top Liked Posts