[ROM][AOSP] 4.0.4 ICS | Evervolv | 2.2.0b1 | 5/20/12

Search This thread

MongooseHelix

Aug 29, 2010
Portland, OR, USA
This ROM is built from source and is incorporated s custom Evervolv look and feel to the stock ICS experience. This started as a collaborative effort to port ICS to the eris, heroc, and hero. We will continue to work together to try and get the best functionality, speed, and enjoyment possible. I've had a lot of fun working on ICS since source was released back in November and it's been great to work with many other devs across a multitude of devices and backgrounds.

A ton of credit for how functional this ROM is must go to jaybob413 who always amazes me with both his ability to fix anything & everything, and also his willingness to share, teach, & work together. We all know workshed of course who has given me lots of help & advice, not to mention that GSB is what got me into messing around with ROMs. Then there's the master of all that is Evervolv, preludedrew. When not sabotaging my builds or giving me a hard time, he puts up with my questions and has taught me a lot along the way. Many thanks to those that open source their work and fixes like CyanogenMod and plenty of others. And now on to what you are here for...ICS on the Eris.

--------

* Downloads *

You flash this BETA build at your own risk! Be sure to make a nand backup and do a full wipe before flashing. The first boot takes awhile so give it some time.
ROM - 2.2.0b1
MD5sum: 3b2e097212eec7187f32109846c3fad8

Gapps are NOT included so be sure to flash this zip if you want them!
GAPPS - 5.20
MD5sum: fba8c84a2f370cd2c47743465c51731b

--------

WIP 2.6.35 kernel - Optional for those that want to try it out
Flashable zip
List of known Issues: here

--------
Keep in mind that this is a WIP so not everything will be completely stable or working perfectly. Progress is being made though...

Working
touchscreen
physical & capacitive buttons
data
sms & mms
camera - pictures
built-in screenshot feature
wifi
gps
calls
audio
microphone
sdcard
usb mass storage
sensors
vibration
trackball navigation, selection, light
notification / charging LED

Not Working
camera - video & panorama modes
bluetooth(still can't figure out why)
wallpapers - offset from center
wifi signal strength icon display
gpu hw acceleration / opengl
mic mute in call
google music app
voice search app
Changelog
2.2.0 Beta 1:
* Coming Soon...

2.1.0 Beta 2:
* ability to take pics with camera but no preview and loads slowly(rapmv78, zbwu86, CAF)
* browser/gmail/etc fixed (arcee)
* revamped notification toolbox - new layout, use EVToolbox app to select widgets/# per row/default on pulldown (settings icon switches views, long-press to enter settings app)
* fixed bug where selecting silent in power popup menu(on long-press) first went to vibrate instead
* fixed signal strength reporting in Settings->About phone->Status
* other misc fixes/tweaks/options

2.1.0 Beta 1:
* AOSP 4.0.3 source
* full audio (jaybob413)
* usb mass storage
* trackball functionality
* cache2cache updated and included
* notification toolbox - cycle through notifs/widgets/media/batt by pressing settings icon(long-press for settings)
* EVToolbox app - lockscreen(style, custom mapping), choose notif toolbox widgets, 6bar/stock signal strength icon toggle, vol btn lockscreen music control toggle, vol btn wake toggle
* initial launcher settings(press menu while on home screen) - Homescreen->search bar toggle, other options are just placeholders for now
* latest gapps, terminal emulator, file expert, quickpic, and opera mini included in ROM
* misc fixes/improvements

Alpha 5 / Preview 2:
* working gps
* fixed some background crashes of libdvm (jaybob413)
* bluetooth now turns on and "sees" devices but I was unable to pair successfully
* hot reboot added to reboot options menu
* now includes the optimized galaxy nexus boot animation (workshed & snowjumpstump)
* added terminal emulator app to build
* replaced stock gallery app with quickpic for the time being
* updated maps to v6.0.1 in the tiny gapps zip

Alpha 4 / Preview 1:
* fixed keyboard prediction - english only for now
* fixed keyboard layout so bottom row is no longer cut off (jaybob413)
* mic works after a delay of 2 - 10s
* audio: speaker plays stereo sounds only, at times has a delay, and sometimes too quietly
* reboot options added: recovery, bootloader, normal
* File Expert app included
* built with most apps/framework in ODEX format

Alpha 3.5:
* fixed touchscreen for the older melfas type
* fixed wifi
* fixed sdcard mounting
* fixed sensors

Alpha 3:
* button mapping fixed (no more needing adb to reboot!)
* added ICS gapps base & ICS gmail
* added superuser app and su binary for root privileges
* disabled flashing red border(visual StrictMode)
* removed a few uneeded/incompatible apps along with foreign fonts & tts to save space on /system

Alpha 2:
* touchscreen fixed(synaptics only)

--------

* Recommended Flashing Instructions *
1 - full wipe: data + cache + dalvik cache
2 - flash the ROM zip
3 - flash Gapps
4 - reboot: the first boot will take awhile
5 - ensure everything is loaded and settled by letting the screen timeout and waiting a minute or so before waking it up and proceeding
6 - skip or go through the google setup wizard and then wait another couple mintes to allow the rest of the ROM to load up and any google data to sync
7 - reboot and allow things to load up again (optional)
8 - everything should now be ready to go :)

--------

* Tips *
* switching between the Evervolv notification toolbox and the stock notification view is achieved by swiping either left or right
* can open a running apps list by long-pressing the home button & swipe(or long-press) to clear (useful if an app won't open or system slows down to clear out some memory)
* disabling an app is very easy in ICS: either through the manage app screen or by dragging a particular app from the drawer to the "app info" section displayed at the top of the screen, you'll find a button to disable that app
* the ICS launcher makes it simple to create & use folders: just drag one icon on top of another, let go, and they will now be in a folder together which you can name whatever you like

--------

* Sources *
Evervolv: GitHub & Gerrit
Conap's Kernel: GitHub
WIP 2.6.35 Kernel: GitHub

Last edited:

MongooseHelix

Aug 29, 2010
Portland, OR, USA
Screenshots

A video showing off the touchscreen in alpha2 thanks to workshed:

These screenshots are of the first alpha where the touchscreen was acting like a trackpad/pointer:

5AnXKl.jpg

bywmLl.jpg

OkjLVl.jpg

1yx3ml.jpg

9XsSKl.jpg

GYt9yl.jpg

6VYCil.jpg

364oPl.jpg

RVYPMl.jpg

Fxaj6l.jpg

Last edited:

workshed

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 23, 2010
turn around!
Congrats lix! Nice work my man, I'm proud of you. (I know that sounds stupid, but I am) :) please feel free to contact me, I'm sure I could help with some of the button mapping. Maybe we could team up some, just msg me if you're down, no worries if not.

You can email or add me to gtalk, anyone can! stupiddaddy@gmail.com

p.s. the email address is a long story lmao ;)

Again, good work Mon! (I can't figure out what I want to call you in short) :) lix or mon hahaha

Reactions: MongooseHelix

Zer0_Cool

Mar 14, 2010
Philadelphia
Awesome, not sure if I want to wait until this is more stable or not to play around with it, probably once the buttons are mapped I'll play with this :D

mjb413

Aug 22, 2010
South Carolina
one word. simply awesome. this is why my eris remains in use as my bedside clock/mp3 player. it just never seems to give up thanks to the amazing developers we have here.

Reactions: kevina90

Captainkrtek

Retired Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Feb 16, 2010
Seattle
Knowing how far this device has come and being here since day one of the launch, all I have to say is holy ****, pardon my language

playpolo4life

Jun 16, 2010
This is unbelievable. I upgraded from the good ol' Eris a few months ago, and the progress on this far surpasses Thunderbolt development. It's a shame really, that development on the tbolt is so fragmented.

I still keep my Eris around just to load up projects like these, and marvel at how far it has come. It's a long way from the Cupcake that it launched with.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This ROM is built from source and is incorporated s custom Evervolv look and feel to the stock ICS experience. This started as a collaborative effort to port ICS to the eris, heroc, and hero. We will continue to work together to try and get the best functionality, speed, and enjoyment possible. I've had a lot of fun working on ICS since source was released back in November and it's been great to work with many other devs across a multitude of devices and backgrounds.

A ton of credit for how functional this ROM is must go to jaybob413 who always amazes me with both his ability to fix anything & everything, and also his willingness to share, teach, & work together. We all know workshed of course who has given me lots of help & advice, not to mention that GSB is what got me into messing around with ROMs. Then there's the master of all that is Evervolv, preludedrew. When not sabotaging my builds or giving me a hard time, he puts up with my questions and has taught me a lot along the way. Many thanks to those that open source their work and fixes like CyanogenMod and plenty of others. And now on to what you are here for...ICS on the Eris.

--------

* Downloads *

You flash this BETA build at your own risk! Be sure to make a nand backup and do a full wipe before flashing. The first boot takes awhile so give it some time.
    ROM - 2.2.0b1
    MD5sum: 3b2e097212eec7187f32109846c3fad8

Gapps are NOT included so be sure to flash this zip if you want them!
    GAPPS - 5.20
    MD5sum: fba8c84a2f370cd2c47743465c51731b

--------

WIP 2.6.35 kernel - Optional for those that want to try it out
    Flashable zip
    List of known Issues: here

--------
    Keep in mind that this is a WIP so not everything will be completely stable or working perfectly. Progress is being made though...

Working
    touchscreen
    physical & capacitive buttons
    data
    sms & mms
    camera - pictures
    built-in screenshot feature
    wifi
    gps
    calls
    audio
    microphone
    sdcard
    usb mass storage
    sensors
    vibration
    trackball navigation, selection, light
    notification / charging LED

Not Working
    camera - video & panorama modes
    bluetooth(still can't figure out why)
    wallpapers - offset from center
    wifi signal strength icon display
    gpu hw acceleration / opengl
    mic mute in call
    google music app
    voice search app
    Changelog
    2.2.0 Beta 1:
    * Coming Soon...

2.1.0 Beta 2:
    * ability to take pics with camera but no preview and loads slowly(rapmv78, zbwu86, CAF)
    * browser/gmail/etc fixed (arcee)
    * revamped notification toolbox - new layout, use EVToolbox app to select widgets/# per row/default on pulldown (settings icon switches views, long-press to enter settings app)
    * fixed bug where selecting silent in power popup menu(on long-press) first went to vibrate instead
    * fixed signal strength reporting in Settings->About phone->Status
    * other misc fixes/tweaks/options

2.1.0 Beta 1:
    * AOSP 4.0.3 source
    * full audio (jaybob413)
    * usb mass storage
    * cache2cache updated and included
    * notification toolbox - cycle through notifs/widgets/media/batt by pressing settings icon(long-press for settings)
    * EVToolbox app - lockscreen(style, custom mapping), choose notif toolbox widgets, 6bar/stock signal strength icon toggle, vol btn lockscreen music control toggle, vol btn wake toggle
    * initial launcher settings(press menu while on home screen) - Homescreen->search bar toggle, other options are just placeholders for now
    * latest gapps, terminal emulator, file expert, quickpic, and opera mini included in ROM

Alpha 5 / Preview 2:
    * working gps
    * fixed some background crashes of libdvm (jaybob413)
    * bluetooth now turns on and "sees" devices but I was unable to pair successfully
    * hot reboot added to reboot options menu
    * now includes the optimized galaxy nexus boot animation (workshed & snowjumpstump)
    * added terminal emulator app to build
    * replaced stock gallery app with quickpic for the time being
    * updated maps to v6.0.1 in the tiny gapps zip

Alpha 4 / Preview 1:
    * fixed keyboard prediction - english only for now
    * fixed keyboard layout so bottom row is no longer cut off (jaybob413)
    * mic works after a delay of 2 - 10s
    * audio: speaker plays stereo sounds only, at times has a delay, and sometimes too quietly
    * reboot options added: recovery, bootloader, normal
    * File Expert app included
    * built with most apps/framework in ODEX format

Alpha 3.5:
    * fixed touchscreen for the older melfas type
    * fixed wifi
    * fixed sdcard mounting
    * fixed sensors

Alpha 3:
    * button mapping fixed (no more needing adb to reboot!)
    * added ICS gapps base & ICS gmail
    * added superuser app and su binary for root privileges
    * disabled flashing red border(visual StrictMode)
    * removed a few uneeded/incompatible apps along with foreign fonts & tts to save space on /system

Alpha 2:
    * touchscreen fixed(synaptics only)

--------

* Recommended Flashing Instructions *
    1 - full wipe: data + cache + dalvik cache
    2 - flash the ROM zip
    3 - flash Gapps
    4 - reboot: the first boot will take awhile
    5 - ensure everything is loaded and settled by letting the screen timeout and waiting a minute or so before waking it up and proceeding
    6 - skip or go through the google setup wizard and then wait another couple mintes to allow the rest of the ROM to load up and any google data to sync
    7 - reboot and allow things to load up again (optional)
    8 - everything should now be ready to go :)

--------

* Tips *
    * switching between the Evervolv notification toolbox and the stock notification view is achieved by swiping either left or right
    * can open a running apps list by long-pressing the home button & swipe(or long-press) to clear (useful if an app won't open or system slows down to clear out some memory)
    * disabling an app is very easy in ICS: either through the manage app screen or by dragging a particular app from the drawer to the "app info" section displayed at the top of the screen, you'll find a button to disable that app
    * the ICS launcher makes it simple to create & use folders: just drag one icon on top of another, let go, and they will now be in a folder together which you can name whatever you like

--------

* Sources *
    Evervolv: GitHub & Gerrit
    Conap's Kernel: GitHub
    WIP 2.6.35 Kernel: GitHub
    Beta 1

Ok, so it took some extra time to get it ready so I'm only going to post the link here for now until I have time to update the OP and all that.

No need to flash Gapps, they are included in this build!

Beta 1: download

Quick Changelog:
    * usb mass storage
    * initial launcher settings(press menu while on home screen) - can remove google search bar
    * hot reboot option available in power menu
    * cache2cache included
    * auto mounting of ext partition on sdcard
    * full audio
    * updated gapps included
    * includes latest terminal emulator, file expert, quickpic, and opera mini(browser replacement)
    * ICS 4.0.3

There will be little issues here and there so please be aware of that and report them so we can continue making it better.
    Some exciting news, at least to me...
    I finally got a .35 kernel build that compiles, boots, and seems to be mostly functioning :D

Some things I know are not working yet:
    * proximity sensor
    * physical keys - pwr, send, vol up/down (screen buttons work fine - home, menu, back, search)
    * bluetooth (at least seeing errors about it though which helps)
    * audio jack
    * usb mass storage
    35 kernel status update:

It's now getting to the bootani so that's helpful progress. Currently debugging the cause of the kernel panic that forces a reboot. There is also breber's version from a while back that build and boots to the lockscreen but does not have a functioning touchscreen/physical keys. Additionally, it doesn't include all of the updates/features that are in jaybob's heroc kernel so I'm trying, slowly, to get things merged together and functioning properly.

I am no experienced kernel dev/tinkerer but I keep learning as I go and may even be lucky enough to receive some pointers and help from people like jaybob, preludedrew, gnarlyc, breber, conap, workshed, etc.
    FYI,

The beta2 of this ROM uses the HTC /system/lib/libhtc_ril.so which exhibits the undead call bug.

If you are going to use this ROM on an activated phone, you can patch that bug thusly:

Code:
    [color=green][b]mkdir /data/data/com.android.dmportread
    chown 1001.1001 /data/data/com.android.dmportread
    touch /data/data/com.android.dmportread/history
    chown 1001.1001 /data/data/com.android.dmportread/history[/b][/color]

note there are portability issues with "chown uid.gid target" vs. "chown uid:gid target" and also using symbolic names for uid and guid. I checked with a running version of the ROM, and the uid/gid pair for the "rild" process were 1001/1001.

cheers

bftb0