Do I need the MF1 firmware for 4.3 ?

Search This thread

cjmcsw87

Apr 29, 2013
West Union
Currently I'm on 4.1.2, Hyperdrive RLS16, Base MB1, and build number is MF1.. So am I actually on the wrong base right now ?

I'm wanting to flash one of the latest PAC nightly, so I'm thinking I need to flash the MF1 base.

Do I flash that FIRST, and then the Rom/Gapps, or how do I go about this ?

any info is appreciated, thanks.

cjmcsw87

Apr 29, 2013
West Union
No, my baseband version is I535VRBMB1
"Build number" is JZO54K.I535VRBMF1

that's kind of confusing.. after looking at the hyperdrive forum it says mb1 + Parts of MF1 so I'm guessing Its still based on mb1.

So do I need to flash MF1 before the rom, or after ?

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011

that's kind of confusing.. after looking at the hyperdrive forum it says mb1 + Parts of MF1 so I'm guessing Its still based on mb1.

Seems like you already on MF1, but your radio(modem) is still MB1, you could just flash the MF1 radio and you should be up to date.

Reactions: cjmcsw87

cjmcsw87

Apr 29, 2013
West Union
Ok. I already have the MF1 zip.. Would it be worth it to find just the radio, or should I just flash the zip I already have ?

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Ok. I already have the MF1 zip.. Would it be worth it to find just the radio, or should I just flash the zip I already have ?

Only full blown firmware come with modem. an upgrade only for the rom. If you flash a full firmware the down side is it going to wipe all your data/settings, the good side is you have a clean install. If you feel that your phone is running well then just flash the modem which is VRLF2 can be found here http://invisiblek.org/sch-i535/modems/VRLF2.modem.tar.md5 . An other point is sometime the newer modem is not necessary better.

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
Only full blown firmware come with modem. an upgrade only for the rom. If you flash a full firmware the down side is it going to wipe all your data/settings, the good side is you have a clean install. If you feel that your phone is running well then just flash the modem which is VRLF2 can be found here http://invisiblek.org/sch-i535/modems/VRLF2.modem.tar.md5 . An other point is sometime the newer modem is not necessary better.

VRALF2 and VRBMF1 are not the same thing. VRALF2 is 4.0.3 ICS. VRBMF1 is 4.1.2 JB. Invisiblek stopped making modem-only zips once we moved onto 4.1.2. So VRBMB1 (4.1.2) VRBMF1 (4.1.2) firmware update about five partitions which you can easily see if you unzip the files. VRUCML1 (4.3) firmware only updates one partition because, well Invisiblek explained it best in his firmware thread. What you linked is an ICS modem-only zip. Flashing these 20 MB zips does not wipe you data. You're confusing that with an Odin flashable stock image which is at minimum 1 GB, these do wipe /sdcard.

Reactions: landshark68

cjmcsw87

Apr 29, 2013
West Union
VRALF2 and VRBMF1 are not the same thing. VRALF2 is 4.0.3 ICS. VRBMF1 is 4.1.2 JB. Invisiblek stopped making modem-only zips once we moved onto 4.1.2. So VRBMB1 (4.1.2) VRBMF1 (4.1.2) firmware update about five partitions which you can easily see if you unzip the files. VRUCML1 (4.3) firmware only updates one partition because, well Invisiblek explained it best in his firmware thread. What you linked is an ICS modem-only zip. Flashing these 20 MB zips does not wipe you data. You're confusing that with an Odin flashable stock image which is at minimum 1 GB, these do wipe /sdcard.

So now I'm confused ? do I not need to flash any of them then ?

landshark68

Jan 13, 2011
Illinois

You don't NEED to, but you can. Different modems/radios (baseband) seem to work to varying degrees on different devices. People have had mismatched build and baseband numbers with no ill effects. You can flash the MF1 file and see if your reception improves, stays the same, or gets worse. If your reception improves with the MF1 radios, then stick with them. If your reception gets worse, flash back to MB1. It's going to depend on which radio works best on your phone. The only thing I have read recently that seems to be a must is anyone who flashes a 4.3 (ML1) ROM seems to need the ML1 radios to get good reception.

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
Okay. Thank you all I appreciate the info

Sent from my SCH-I535

You don't need to flash that entire rom, it'll unroot you and put you at risk for being updated to the 4.3 base. You're only looking to update the firmware which is much easier.

Go to this link, click the latest firmware AIO link, download the mf1 firmware and flash in recovery.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1788313

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

cjmcsw87

Apr 29, 2013
West Union
You don't need to flash that entire rom, it'll unroot you and put you at risk for being updated to the 4.3 base. You're only looking to update the firmware which is much easier.

Go to this link, click the latest firmware AIO link, download the mf1 firmware and flash in recovery.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1788313

Thanks. I have the MF1 zip already just haven't flashed it yet - I didn't know if I need to flash it before, or after the rom ? or if it even matters ? Me going to one of the latest PAC Nightlies which is a 4.3 I will need the ML1 baseband after the MF1 AIO, Correct ?

I'm a little hesitant to flash any of these before i know that it's exactly what I need because the phone is Verizon, but my carrier is PagePlus. From what I've read and been told flashing these sort of things has the potential to screw up my PPlus flash.

Again, Thank you for the info It's much appreciated.

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
Thanks. I have the MF1 zip already just haven't flashed it yet - I didn't know if I need to flash it before, or after the rom ? or if it even matters ? Me going to one of the latest PAC Nightlies which is a 4.3 I will need the ML1 baseband after the MF1 AIO, Correct ?

I'm a little hesitant to flash any of these before i know that it's exactly what I need because the phone is Verizon, but my carrier is PagePlus. From what I've read and been told flashing these sort of things has the potential to screw up my PPlus flash.

Again, Thank you for the info It's much appreciated.

I'm not completely sure about page plus, but in this case I wouldn't even worry about the ml1 modem. It's only really needed for the 4.3 Touchwiz rom. AOSP shouldn't make too much of a difference.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If your baseband version in about phone says I535VRBMF1 then you should be good to flash PAC. I don't think it really matters. I will find the link for the MF1 firmware.

Edit: http://invisiblek.org/d2firmware.html or
    http://invisiblek.org/sch-i535/firmware/

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Seems like you already on MF1, but your radio(modem) is still MB1, you could just flash the MF1 radio and you should be up to date.

You don't NEED to, but you can. Different modems/radios (baseband) seem to work to varying degrees on different devices. People have had mismatched build and baseband numbers with no ill effects. You can flash the MF1 file and see if your reception improves, stays the same, or gets worse. If your reception improves with the MF1 radios, then stick with them. If your reception gets worse, flash back to MB1. It's going to depend on which radio works best on your phone. The only thing I have read recently that seems to be a must is anyone who flashes a 4.3 (ML1) ROM seems to need the ML1 radios to get good reception.