OS Builder Kitchen for Hurricane: WM6, WM6.1 and WM6.5 English + German

Search This thread

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
Finally also the Hurricane kitchen for OS Builder. You get WM6.0, WM6.1 (from Rose) and WM6.5 (from Captain/Maple) based XIP/SYS/package in the kitchen with the OEM parts from my batch-kitchen for Hurricane which was largely ported from the Tornado WM6 kitchen done by nitrogen.

You need OS Builder (see link above) and the archive from below link, then:
- Install OS Builder
- unpack the archive
- go to the relevant folder (WM60, WM61 or WM65)
- double-click on the file "OSBuilder.osb"
- push the green "play" button in the button bar -> see the build being created
- at the end you get OS.BIN along the OSBuilder.osb file
- upload this to your device via MTTY "l" (load) command

Mind that the MTTY can have 2 presets for the "load" command by pushing the "F" button in the toolbar. Set the "Download Command" to just "l" (the lowercase letter "L" without quotes) and select the "First time download file name" with the "..." button to the OS.BIN that you have created. So instead of typing (no quotes): "l my-path\os.bin" in the MTTY window, just push the Button "1" aside the "F" button. In case not present enter for the "mask ROM start address" just 00000000.

Kitchen is located here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?h6d6e1wslcsdk <- click me

If you have a shipped ROM still on your Hurricane, some more steps have to be done. The relevant tools are in the \tools folder of the packages. Follow the sequence in the folder "tobbbie-prepare-flashing-(one-time-per-device)". I had started to link that to the OSB Tools menu as well but this is not complete.

Reactions: sniper304

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
Backlight works as it should - no difference between builds. Mind that the backlight has some quirks on the Hurricane. Some settings are useless (set to 'ff) and sometimes (within the settings menu, I think) keypress seems not to reset the backlight count-down, nothing severe though.

Compared to my batch kitchen here all the UPX-ed stuff is removed as it eats much more RAM per UPX-ed program. Mind that the use of the paging pool is not commonly understood. In short:

• all exe/dll code is running within the paging-pool RAM space if possible.
  • if parts of the code are not accessed, the oldest code copy is discarded in the paging pool if new code needs to run
  • if the code is accessed again, it is loaded back from ROM to paging pool RAM and executes from there
  • So small paging pool -> slow device: the OS is busy swapping code in/out
  • UPX-ed exe/dll cannot load parts of the code from ROM as only the whole file can be read and decompressed to RAM. So if such code is run, it reserves the whole required RAM for its code, however outside the paging pool.
  • Better is that not UPX-ed run inside the paging-pool RAM and eat nothing extra for code space and well co-exist with other programs depending on their execution needs.

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
SDHC on Hurricane (and Typhoon)

20121003 Update (since no new posts allowed anymore):
Just to let you know: The SDHC lets the device also read FAT32 formatted SDXC cards (e.g.64 GB). It even reads more than one partition (I have 2 on my Android) and mounts both of them (32k Cluster size used).
Not sure how well the performance will be when managing data there - but reading a large music collection should be ok :)

More good news:

It seems that the SDHC support from Tornado also works on the Hurricane (even the Typhoon!). By replacing the drivers and related entries in the .rgu, the device still boots and gets access to an SDHC card (4GB, 8GB). Export via WM5torage works as well and chkdsk does not report problems for a 5GB full 8GB card.

It may still require some more testing - but finally all that I wanted to have on these devices is finally there :)

Will post the updates soon (just a few KB) -> DONE, advice included in ZIP.

This probably could even be done via a CAB file - but I will not check this.

Attachments

• sdhc-Hurricane-Typhoon.zip
    81.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Reactions: sniper304

sniper304

Feb 5, 2011
More good news:

It seems that the SDHC support from Tornado also works on the Hurricane (even the Typhoon!). By replacing the drivers and related entries in the .rgu, the device still boots and gets access to an SDHC card (4GB, 8GB). Export via WM5torage works as well and chkdsk does not report problems for a 5GB full 8GB card.

It may still require some more testing - but finally all that I wanted to have on these devices is finally there :)

Thank you!It's great news!I post it on wce.by and 4pda.ru!

Reactions: tobbbie

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart

Just go ahead, I hope there is a larger community than here at xda-developers. I feel lonely with my addiction to candy-bar smartphones :)
Everyone so proud of carrying a large touch brick in their pockets, sigh.

You should try out yourself first though before posting further.

sniper304

Feb 5, 2011
tobbbie
Thank you for your phone HTC Hurricane (since I lost my!)
Today finished russification your kitchen based on the OS Builder - for htc hurricane!
Russification about 99%. =)
All files sorted!
All ROM's checked-all works great!

here is link http://www.mediafire.com/?dpdx3zmvbaxn3mi

Thank you tobbbie!!!

P.S. WOW, I forgot to say that now cab files are not deleted after installation!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Finally also the Hurricane kitchen for OS Builder. You get WM6.0, WM6.1 (from Rose) and WM6.5 (from Captain/Maple) based XIP/SYS/package in the kitchen with the OEM parts from my batch-kitchen for Hurricane which was largely ported from the Tornado WM6 kitchen done by nitrogen.

You need OS Builder (see link above) and the archive from below link, then:
    - Install OS Builder
    - unpack the archive
    - go to the relevant folder (WM60, WM61 or WM65)
    - double-click on the file "OSBuilder.osb"
    - push the green "play" button in the button bar -> see the build being created
    - at the end you get OS.BIN along the OSBuilder.osb file
    - upload this to your device via MTTY "l" (load) command

Mind that the MTTY can have 2 presets for the "load" command by pushing the "F" button in the toolbar. Set the "Download Command" to just "l" (the lowercase letter "L" without quotes) and select the "First time download file name" with the "..." button to the OS.BIN that you have created. So instead of typing (no quotes): "l my-path\os.bin" in the MTTY window, just push the Button "1" aside the "F" button. In case not present enter for the "mask ROM start address" just 00000000.

Kitchen is located here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?h6d6e1wslcsdk <- click me

If you have a shipped ROM still on your Hurricane, some more steps have to be done. The relevant tools are in the \tools folder of the packages. Follow the sequence in the folder "tobbbie-prepare-flashing-(one-time-per-device)". I had started to link that to the OSB Tools menu as well but this is not complete.
    SDHC on Hurricane (and Typhoon)

20121003 Update (since no new posts allowed anymore):
    Just to let you know: The SDHC lets the device also read FAT32 formatted SDXC cards (e.g.64 GB). It even reads more than one partition (I have 2 on my Android) and mounts both of them (32k Cluster size used).
    Not sure how well the performance will be when managing data there - but reading a large music collection should be ok :)

More good news:

More good news: