Charging socket flap

Search This thread

Toogoofy

Dec 21, 2011
Sorry but using a butter knife is not careful! It's too wide and fat use a paper clip it will do less damage. My nails are on the short side and I have no issues opening even with my AUG case. Two phones met their end in a toilet don't want this one to.

LuckyColdJohnson

Dec 27, 2012
Garland, TX
I picked up my S5 today and my first comment to the AT&T store clerk was how long do I have to get this repaired for free... It seems like it is going to break off.

FYI, (And I don't know if anybody already said it) The Active has a way easier flap thats easy to open and close. I hated the Reg s5 flap. Especially with a case on the phone, its dang there imposible with your nail. I was using an old Micro SD card I dont use anymore to open and charge my phone at night. Sucks......Active is a better phone all the way around. Just saying. At&t will let you trade too. Even after your 14 day per.

DrSeussFreak

FYI, (And I don't know if anybody already said it) The Active has a way easier flap thats easy to open and close. I hated the Reg s5 flap. Especially with a case on the phone, its dang there imposible with your nail. I was using an old Micro SD card I dont use anymore to open and charge my phone at night. Sucks......Active is a better phone all the way around. Just saying. At&t will let you trade too. Even after your 14 day per.

I actually switched before I saw this. I agree 100%

DrSeussFreak

What did you do to get them to swap? I've had my S5 since Late may and the active looks tempting.
are there any differences in the camera features?

I was personally within my 14 day return period, hell I was still in the same day. You can argue with them about them playing games with release dates, but not sure how effective that would be. I just ask, and you would be surprised how often you get stuff.

So the S5 and S5 active have a few differences, but unlike the S4 and S4 active, they are not the specs. The camera, processor, memory, storage remain the same. What is different, the S5A has an extra button, which is customizable,but is designed for active use. It brings up the "Activity Zone" which has a barometer, compass, flashlight and compass. There is a short and long press option, so my short press enables the camera, long press enables the activity zone.

The S5A has no fingerprint sensor, and has a different cable. The S5 had the standard USB port, plus an additional port next to it to speed up data transfer with a computer. The S5A only has the standard port, which is fine. The buttons on the S5A are also real buttons, not just an area on the plastic, but they are pronounced.

::Edit:: Also note, it is a separate build of the OS. Still 4.4.2, but different kernel build for this device. So the fathers day gift from geohut (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2783157) may or may not work with the S5 Active, TBD.

Last edited:

skifreek

Mar 22, 2011
CT
You guys have to be extremely careless to have your flaps damaged....
Sure thing. Mine pops open randomly and doesn't stay closed. I don't force it open, nor do I stuck anything other than my nail to open it. Had it since day one and its time to replace the flap. My only gripe with the phone.

Jordan_River

Apr 20, 2010
San Angelo
I went to AT&T to try out the S5.
Overall a very nice phone however the one thing that I think will annoy the hell out of me is having to fiddle with that flap every time it's time to charge the phone.
I found it really hard to open and after a few tries I managed to get my finger nail under the slight lip but it was not very comfortable to do.

How are the rest of yo owners finding the handling of this flap?
I will be using a robust case for mine so wireless charging is out for me.

I heard back from both Spigen and Case-Mate who both said that it's unlikely charging would work through their cases and that's assuming the phone will still fit with the slightly larger charging back.

I honestly can't imagine how having to take off a charge port cover to charge a phone is an inconvenience. The inconvenience is getting water in my phone and ruining it and paying $100-$200 deductible, if you have insurance, to replace it.

Ambiguous signature with techie jargon and hyperlinks.

lathamc

Jun 29, 2012
My flapped stopped working, too. Has anyone gone through with a repair through Samsung? A Samsung rep said that the replacement might be better than the original. Can anyone verify that?

Thanks!

iPhonetoAndroid007

Jan 21, 2013
I fully understand why they have this flap and its purpose but I am sure Samsung could have done a bit better on the design of it. Never had an issue with mine yet but always worries me when I open and close it so much to charge it just feels like it will snap off anytime. Hopefully they will have a free fix at some point if it ever does break.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You guys are lazy. It takes, what, half a second to open? Use your index fingernail not your thumbnail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    I have the spigen tough armor case and I can charge the phone with no problem. It's a minor inconvenience but it's worth having the peace of mind against getting water damage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using xda app-developers app
    I actually like the idea of covering the port, it's just very poorly executed on this phone. I really liked the sliding 'door' on the Captivate. But it's something that I'll learn to get used to.
    I keep a spudger tool on my desk from an iphone repair kit...works great.
    ....I pulled that little thing out. I know its not water proof anymore, but ehh i wasn't gonna test it anyways.

You probably made the value of your phone drop so much

Sent from my GT-I9505G using xda app-developers app