Ravpower RP-WD01 Wireless WiFi-Disk Review

Search This thread

krash183

Sep 4, 2008
In my case I connect to the net via my Evo3d. I do not have a standard WiFi connection. So since my N10 is tethered how would the Rav disk be utilized?

Same thing.... The evo is a mobile hot spot with a said and password. Set it up via the Web interface or mobile app. So you would be using two hot spots to connect to each other

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: dh350nwo

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
I noticed that contradiction also. I can tell you only the green was on and I assume it had more than a 30% charge. I am thinking the red light will come on when LESS than 30% of the charge is left, but I have not run it down that far to know if this is correct. The instructions read the same way in both the quick manual and the full one. Nice device though!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app
Got a reply from Rav Power. The manual is wrong, a solid green light means a full charge.

dh350nwo

Same thing.... The evo is a mobile hot spot with a said and password. Set it up via the Web interface or mobile app. So you would be using two hot spots to connect to each other

Thanks (button hit), next question is would you use this over an OTG cable, or would you get both? I have a number of thumb drives of varying sizes, but this appears to be an all in one solution allowing thumb drive use along with portable hard drives.

krash183

Sep 4, 2008
Thanks (button hit), next question is would you use this over an OTG cable, or would you get both? I have a number of thumb drives of varying sizes, but this appears to be an all in one solution allowing thumb drive use along with portable hard drives.

I have both i got my otgs for a dollar a piece Vi ebay. I even got a y cable otg so i can supply power to devices that need more power than the micro usb can supply

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

krash183

Sep 4, 2008

Now that is how I figure it would work but I'll try it later today to make sure

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
Looks like I'll be getting mine on Friday but since it's a FedEx Smartpost which is FedEx>USPS, it could be Saturday.

Explore3

Mar 6, 2011
Google Pixel 7
Google Pixel 7 Pro
FYI - It is on sale at Newegg.com for $40 from a third party. I think a number of similar units will come on the market shortly. However, I picked up one of these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1HD0HM8076

PS If you need warranty service, newegg is insisting on having the original box.

PPS I posted this in a couple of other threads. I have no connection with the firm. It is a good price for a very interesting product.

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
Got my RavPower today. While charging with the blinking green LED, waiting for it to go solid, it didn't! It turns off when full or seems so. Gosh, they really know their product don't they?

Did the firmware update also after first getting it set up and working. A bit of confusion after that as ES File Explorer couldn't find the device. A reboot of the N10, deleting it from WiFi and installing it again took care of the problem.

Nice little device. One issue I have but the N10 is the same way as the micro-USB is upside down if you ask me. Got a new cellphone yesterday and it's the other way. On the RavPower the USB is upside down as a flash drive with a light, puts it out of sight.

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
Didn't install MobileFun on the N10 just used ES File Explorer. I tried the MobileFun PC app and it finds nothing at all! Might be something in the configuration??

EDIT: Just to clarify, this is a desktop PC and not a notebook/laptop with built in WiFi. Maybe that's the reason for not working?

Last edited:

krash183

Sep 4, 2008
Didn't install MobileFun on the N10 just used ES File Explorer. I tried the MobileFun PC app and it finds nothing at all! Might be something in the configuration??

EDIT: Just to clarify, this is a desktop PC and not a notebook/laptop with built in WiFi. Maybe that's the reason for not working?

A computer needs a wifi adapter to find the wifi disk. Does is connect to the Internet via wifi or a ethernet cat5 cable?

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
A computer needs a wifi adapter to find the wifi disk. Does is connect to the Internet via wifi or a ethernet cat5 cable?

It connects via a ethernet CAT5 cable but my so-called Gateway(U-verse router like device) has the WiFi. I use SAMBA all the time to the PC from my N10 but of course, it has WiFi. There may be a way by changing the setup in one or both but is it worth the trouble? There is something in the manual about connecting directly to a router also.

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

I believe dlna uses samba connections but don't hold me to that. Thinking more I'm not to sure......

I have EMIT which is HTTP live streaming.

krash183

Sep 4, 2008
It connects via a ethernet CAT5 cable but my so-called Gateway(U-verse router like device) has the WiFi. I use SAMBA all the time to the PC from my N10 but of course, it has WiFi. There may be a way by changing the setup in one or both but is it worth the trouble? There is something in the manual about connecting directly to a router also.

No the computer itself needs a wifi adapter. Yeah you can samba from the n10 to the pc cuz it's like n10>router>pc. What you're trying to do is pc>wire to router> wireless to wifi disk. You can't bridge the router and wifi disk and try to get to the other side. Makes sense?

krash183

Sep 4, 2008
Well if you set up your computer as a media server for ps3 or xbox. The ps3 connects via dlna to it but you can connect via samba to the computer from android devices

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
Well if you set up your computer as a media server for ps3 or xbox. The ps3 connects via dlna to it but you can connect via samba to the computer from android devices

Yeah, no problem from Android to the RavPower or PC using SAMBA.

An interesting tidbit. My Samsung TV with WiFi which can connect to my PC doesn't show the RavPower as a source input.

krash183

Sep 4, 2008
Yeah, no problem from Android to the RavPower or PC using SAMBA.

An interesting tidbit. My Samsung TV with WiFi which can connect to my PC doesn't show the RavPower as a source input.

What ssid is it connected to? Your router or can it not find the wifi disk during scanning for ssid?

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
What ssid is it connected to? Your router or can it not find the wifi disk during scanning for ssid?

My router. It has a Source Input list on which the PC appears. There isn't any scan function. I tried it a second time because I didn't have the RavPower ON before turning the TV ON, still nothing.

Just like now, I selected TV and it errored because my PC was in sleep mode.

Have to look into this more.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Recently purchased the Ravpower RP-WD01 Wireless WiFi-Disk. It is probably the best investment I have made for ALL my mobile devices. I was on the fence about what wireless wifi storage to get Seagate, Kingston Wi-drive, Airstash and lots more but decided on the ravpower. Main reason was that it had a SD card slot and USB port to connect a multitude of different storage devices. And lets be honest, how many SD cards, microsd cards, portable hard drives and usb flash drives do we have laying around? There is soooo much potential with this product and some very nice surprises that I found out that makes this wifi disk a MUST have for all the tech geeks in us.

Bonus, it doubles up as external battery pack. 3,000mah may not be a lot but it does come in handy in those critical must have a charge situations.

Specs:

Wireless wi-fi storage and external battery pack 3000mah
    SD card slot
    USB slot

The size of the wifi disk is about the size of a portable hard drive. Slightly bigger than my S3; look at attached picture for reference.

To connect to the device you must make a wifi connection to it. It is named "WiFiSD-158E" and the password is "11111111". That is 8 ones BTW.

Performance:

I was able to pick up a wide array of storage media. SD card, microsd in a sd card adapter, Flash drives ranging from 4gb to 32gb with many different brands. It was able to power a Seagate portable hard drive no problem while a SD card was also in the sd card slot.

Many different devices were used to connect to the wifi disk: Nexus 7, Nexus 10, Ipad 4, Acer laptop, Coby Cryos android tablet, galaxy S3, Iphone 5 and a t-mobile S2.

It says that up to 5 devices can be connected to it.

I was able to play all sorts of video files from it, divx/xvid, avi, mp4, mkv, mov.....720p,1080p. It handled it like a champ.

I connected 5 devices and tried to stream a divx file all at the same time. It worked flawlessly, no stutters, no audio drops.
    Now I dunno about HD 720p or 1080p files with 5 devices trying to stream from it. Will try more tests later.

You can access your connected storage via 3 different ways:

Now, you can use the recommended mobile apps mobile fun (android) and airstor (IOS) to connect to the device to see your connected storage options. They are nice clean simple apps. Reminds me of an "ES Explorer" type file explorer. Pretty fast, smooth and it simply just works. The one thing the APP is a must for is to make it a wifi hotspot. What that means is that you can configure it to connect to your regular home internet router so that when your device is connected to it; you can still have internet access. Basically it acts like a wireless bridge for your router. Once configured you don't have to use the apps ever again.

You can even use your browser to go to "10.10.10.254" and connect via a web interface. The default username is "admin" and there is no password. You can configure it to have a password; which I did via a wizard tutorial. This is nice since you can connect your laptop to it and access the connected storage.

The last option was a little thing I figured out and was pleasantly surprised! The wifi disk can be accessed via ANY file explorer app that can make SAMBA/SMB connections! File explorers such as "ES Explorer" and "Solid Explorer" have this ability. I personally recommend solid explorer (more on that in a bit).

You just have to set it up (please see attached picture for reference).

For solid explorer press the "jump" button, then "Network" and then "SMB/CIFS" button. Jump>Network>SMB/CIFS
    Now press the plus sign button at the top right. It will cause a popup that you will need to fill in the appropriate info.

Display name: can be left blank
    Computer name or ip address: enter 10.10.10.254
    Authentication method: can set as "Log in as guess" if you did not use the web interface to make a pass word. If you did make a password set it as "store encrypted password"
    Username: admin
    password: whatever password you made via the web interface

Now you should be able use the file explorer to navigate the connected storage options:
    SDCARD-Volume1 = SD card slot
    USBDisk-Volume1 = USB port connected storage

Now you don't need an extra app to use the wifi disk. Use the file explorer you love and know!

Solid Explorer is my reccomendation because it has the two pane option when in landscape mode. With the two panel mode, you can navigate to the "SD card" with pane 1 and then navigate to the "usb port" with pane 2. This will allow you to transfer files between the "sd card" and the "usb port" storage seemlessly and easily! There was a step by step guide on amazon how to transfer files between two attached storage options on the wifi disk, but this makes it sooooo much easier!

Build Quality: Seems solid, not too flimsy but quite light. Nice colored LED's that aren't too bright.

Gripes about it:
    Only comes in white; no black option. It sticks out like a sore thumb next to all my other devices. The external battery pack I bought before Xmas had a white generic apple charger which didn't go with the black external battery pack I bought.
    Does not come with a wall charger; but will use any usb charger.

I do not work for RAVpower but was really impressed with their external battery pack for Xmas. Was even contacted by them after the new year to personally ask how the product was working out for me. That was a pleasant surprise. So that pushed my try the wifi disk instead of bigger name alternatives.
    Securing rp-wd01

Got a ravpower wifi disk myself last week. After playing around with it, I found some concerning security issues, especially if you want to connect your rp-wd01 to a foreign network (e.g. hotel).

I found out that all services are also exposed to the interface (apcli0) connected to the foreign network. This means that samba shares and also the telnet daemon are exposed to the foreign net.
    The telnet daemon is the most concerning one, as this directly allows root access, and everybody who has read this forum (or other forums) know the root password on the device.

This means that potentially everybody can get root access to your device, being able to access your data or wipe your data for that matter.

So last weekend I have spend a short time making the device a bit more secure. It is hackish, but for now I am fine with it.

Wrote an article on my wiki, as I am not able to paste outside links (not enough posts yet) I pasted the link like this (you can figure it out):
    www [dot] isartor [dot] org/wiki/Securing_your_RavPower_Filehub_RP-WD01

I also sent that article to ravpower, so hopefully they do something with it, like having the option to secure your device better from the web interface.
    Here are .014, .020 and updating instructions (for completeness).
    Hope these help!
    Root password for ravpower

Has anyway tried telnet into the ravpower wd01?
    My guess is that the admin account works right away.
    My experience with a similar device, the Leedo w3000p is that the root password
    is "20080826". Can someone please confirm that this works on the ravpower as well?

I am quite happy with the w3000p. Now with the root capability it is easy to
    hack the device and add new functionality.

Cheerio.

Let me reply to myself since nobody else seems to be taking notice of this post:
    I unraveled the Ravpower WD01 firmware and was able to compare the /etc/passwd file with
    the one from my Leedo Wifidisk Wi-Data W3000PH USB 2.5 enclosure, and yes, the root (and admin)
    passwords are indeed the same! I strongly believe that both hardwares are very similar (same SoC RT5350
    processor, same 32MB RAM, same 8MB flash).

I rooted my device and installed ipkg and dropbear for ssh. I use an ext2 partition on my disk mounted
    under /opt. Let me know if anyone wants more details...

All the best
    @DarrenHill -- Thank you! I knew there was a way to map it easily in WIN, just hadn't had the time to figure it out :D

Are there any custom firmwares available?

You're welcome.

To give a little more update, I spoke with them again over the weekend by email and clarified things a bit further about this nice bit of kit. Apparently there is a rev.2 version of the device due to be released in April, which will have DLNA support. They are also considering a firmware update for the rev.1 device (the one on current release that we have) to add the same functionality, but that will come afterwards and is not fully confirmed.

To the best of my knowledge there aren't any custom firmwares yet, although the root password of the device is known ("20080826") and there are others on this board who were trying to get additional functionality working on it - there are a few posts on the subject earlier in this thread. Ravpower have just released a new firmware version for the device (confusingly named 2.000.004, given the current on-device version for release is 2.000.158). There are more details on that a couple of posts above this one, see below (I got the same details in my response from Ravpower).

Indeed if anyone does know of any custom firmware for this device to add new functionality, I'd like to know too :)

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

I'm having a problem figuring out what is the most current firmware. My device had the .158 installed

On the product page it has the following available for download
    On their website at (can't post link)- support/psd-23
    fw-SD-RAV-WD01-2.000.004 modified 12/20/13

I already had this one-
    fw-wifisd-i4294w277r2000158-2.000.158 modified 10/8/12

I'm confused by what is listed, the modified dates and the file naming scheme. Any thoughts?

BTW it let me install the .004 firmware but now I suspect that it may be an earlier one.

---------- Post added at 04:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 AM ----------

Just got an email from RAVPower-
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you very much for choosing RAVPower FileHub!

004 is the customerized version for RAV Filehub and it is the latest version, which support WEP network.

Any other questions, please feel free to contact us.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Other than the spelling mistakes I'm still a little confused. They must have changed their naming/numbering scheme and I guess WEP is what this adds. Any thoughts?

I had the same dilemma, and much the same response from Ravpower when I queried it (I was expecting the firmware update to perhaps add DLNA support, see my other post above).

Giving a quick test to .004, I see that you can also now choose the region for the wifi (which you can't under .158), but one problem I did see with .004 was that my SD card wasn't recognised by the firmware (although still fully accessible over the wifi via the device). So at the moment I've reverted back to .158, as I don't need WEP support (my network is WPA2).

For anyone that does need the older .158 firmware, you can still get it from their website under www_ravpower_com/support/RP-WD01.jsp (replace the underscores with dots for the URL - I'm too much of a noob here to be able to post URLs - haven't hit my 10 thank you's yet... ;) ) as the "firmware_update_for_Airstor_App.zip" under the tablet & smartphone section (3rd one down).

For completeness, the new .004 one is available at www_ravpower_com/support/psd-23.html (ditto noob url) under the software tab.