gorilla glass 3.... very bad glass?

your nexus are...

• without screen protector and wothout scratches.

Votes: 144 44.3%
  • without screen protector and have some scratches

Votes: 52 16.0%
  • I've a screen protector

Votes: 129 39.7%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Wenzo2

Jan 27, 2013
Guys! I'm very Sorry to note that my phone have a lot of scratches in the screen... I think it is caused by nails but my last phone (lg 2x) with gorilla glass 2 havent any scratch... Now I bought a screen protector... And you?

lolpok

Aug 10, 2013
Me too, it's sad because first weak and i get a scratch, but my nexus 7 2012 have no scrath at all and i bought it 1 year ago.

mar_wu

Sep 20, 2011
Guys! I'm very Sorry to note that my phone have a lot of scratches in the screen... I think it is caused by nails but my last phone (lg 2x) with gorilla glass 2 havent any scratch... Now I bought a screen protector... And you?

I never used screen protector.
I learned it the hard way on my HTC one X (gorilla glass 2). Never wipe your screen with your cloth. It will contain sand grains and that scratches any glass surface.
On my nexus5, I use glasses wipe, and its still in perfect condition.

Hope this helps.

melogray

Jul 6, 2013
I've had plenty of phones with Gorilla Glass and ALL of them got scratched if used without a screen protector... people need to understand that Gorilla Glass is only scratch-resistant, not scratch-proof. If you don't want scratches, use a screen protector, no matter what.

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013
Gorilla glass is scratch resistant until we see some sapphire glass covers with 9h-10h they will be theoretically scratch proof seeing I tried to scratch the iPhone 5 sapphire lens cover and nothing .

Buy some tempered glass on eBay I Bought one for 5$ its good overall

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
Yeah it's bad. Either they used really cheap GG3, or just used a cheap oleophobic coating. Good thing I have tmo so I can just get another phone when it gets really bad...Thanks jump!

Reactions: Coderedpl

Aenima462

Aug 26, 2008
SO many minerals can scratch gorilla glass. It stops stuff like keys from scratching the glass, but get a piece of sand 0.5mm big in your pocket, and your screen is toast

Reactions: danarama

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013

ilostmypistons

Jan 25, 2011
McHenry Il
I think the glass screen protectors are the way to go. For $15-$25 you just don't have to worry about it and it's a little extra protection if dropped. Plus it feels naked

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Stay Frosty

Mar 27, 2012
It sounds stupid, but I always blow on my screen after it's been in my pocket for a while to get any micro particles off of it. Like somebody else said, all it takes is a single grain of sand combined with a wipe of a cloth or a swipe of a finger to wreak havoc. If I see stubborn particles on my screen, will always dab them with my finger to get them off. I will never wipe them.

I have yet to get a scratch on my screen with the above methods.

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
For all the people saying that a tiny piece of sand can scratch the screen, you're completely right, but some of us on here are comparing it to previous phones that we've owned that haven't scratched in the same environment.

I'm not really complaining too much because I stick my phone with everything else in my pocket (keys, cards, anything else really) and it's still in pretty great condition. (I've had it since it came out)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    or take care of ur phone
    I've had plenty of phones with Gorilla Glass and ALL of them got scratched if used without a screen protector... people need to understand that Gorilla Glass is only scratch-resistant, not scratch-proof. If you don't want scratches, use a screen protector, no matter what.
    No idea. Pocket, desk, sofa. Hardly dropped. Scratched. Hardly noticeable but scratched none-the-less. No keys, no coins. It was just their one day.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Huh, that's weird.

And to anyone out there thinking about buying a Nexus 5 reading this forum, don't let all this talk of scratched screens deter you. You (probably) don't know me, but believe me when i say that if there is anyone in this world that would have a scratched screen it would be me. When it comes to breaking electronics I am incredibly gifted. So, for my phone to not have a scratch on it is a truly remarkable thing.
    No scratches here, and I have never used a screen protector

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
    no protector here and no scratches either