Which smartwatch to go for

Search This thread

SlashSpeed

Mar 24, 2009
I'm looking into buying a smartwatch and I'm stuck at deciding which one to go for. The price can't be higher than 150$ because of my finances, so Gear and TrueSmart are out of my league.

I was looking more closely into SmartQ Z, ZGPax and Motorola Motoactv. I would use it mostly for everyday use and running. I also take in account the modding capability and apps that can run on it. I'm aware that ZGPax and Motoactv can basically be completely modified and can run most play store apps (and motoactv even has GPS build in). So what about SmartQ Z? Could I for example run edmondo sports tracker?

All answers are much appreciated. Oh and if it matters, I have a HTC One X running CM11, so compatibility shouldn't be an issue right?

Reactions: Jose_Carlos

mtvdeo

Jul 12, 2010
Montevideo
I'm on my second motoACTV. It's amazing even if you don't root it and install custom roms.
My first ACTV lasted two years and is still working. I used it as a daily watch but also at the gym or for running. Sweat and rain damaged the buttons after 18 months of heavy use. Six months later (last month) I bought a new one for $125 at amazon. This one is a newer version of the device with a few design changes but it's still the same ACTV.

The funny thing is that the buttons on my old actv are working now perfectly lol.

But anyway, I would recommend the Actv because it's tough. Mine fell to the floor a lot and there are no scratches what so ever.

Battery life lasts like a week if you use it as a watch.

If you have wifi on and are downloading apps then screen time is 1-2 hours.

It's an impressive little device and it looks cool. And it's so amazing that it came in November 2011 yet it can do the same all these new devices do (except taking pictures).

And its price is also quite good on amazon. So I'd go for it.

Edit: motoactv app on the play store will let you sync everything, no matter on what Android phone you are. motoactv.com will track all your fitness data.

Reactions: SlashSpeed

SlashSpeed

Mar 24, 2009
Thanks for the reply mtvdeo! Motoactv is really tempting I must say, mostly because it's more of a standalone watch with the gps and everything. Problem is though, I'm from central Europe (Slovenia) and getting even an used one is quite a pain. I couldn't find any under 150$ (If I take delivery and handling fees into consideration). :(

mtvdeo

Jul 12, 2010
Montevideo
Thanks for the reply mtvdeo! Motoactv is really tempting I must say, mostly because it's more of a standalone watch with the gps and everything. Problem is though, I'm from central Europe (Slovenia) and getting even an used one is quite a pain. I couldn't find any under 150$ (If I take delivery and handling fees into consideration). :(

I was lucky since I went on vacation to the US and bought it from amazon.com for $110 (plus $15 dollar tax).
I'm from Latin America and it's quite a pain to buy stuff here. Tons of regulations and taxes. I'm basically not allowed to buy stuff from other countries where I live.

But maybe in your country you could buy from Amazon.com (USA site). It's really cheap there. I don't know about the shipping taxes and charge, though.

However, if you can wait a bit more, Google is announcing their watch in a few months. I think LG will make it. Motorola will also announce their new watch, which is rumored to have amazing battery life and great design. I'm really looking forward to the Motorola one (since I'm a fan of their designs).

SlashSpeed

Mar 24, 2009
I was lucky since I went on vacation to the US and bought it from amazon.com for $110 (plus $15 dollar tax).
I'm from Latin America and it's quite a pain to buy stuff here. Tons of regulations and taxes. I'm basically not allowed to buy stuff from other countries where I live.

But maybe in your country you could buy from Amazon.com (USA site). It's really cheap there. I don't know about the shipping taxes and charge, though.

However, if you can wait a bit more, Google is announcing their watch in a few months. I think LG will make it. Motorola will also announce their new watch, which is rumored to have amazing battery life and great design. I'm really looking forward to the Motorola one (since I'm a fan of their designs).

The price I mentioned was from amazon, so yeah, too expensive for me. I ordered a ZGPAX yesterday, I'll see how it goes. I'm keeping my eye out on the Nexus smartwatch and the new motorola, I'll probably get one of them when they get released and sell the ZGPAX. :good:

Nick123194

Sep 15, 2013
I just ordered a samsung galaxy gear on ebay for a reasonable price. But then today I stumbled across the ZGPAX. The specs are pretty impressive for a $150 dollar watch

reggiexp

hey

me i like the smartq watch seems cool had android 4.4 a earphone plug. 4GB intern. 95€
and the motorola active i know i wanted one last year was 200€on motorola site. but must be cheaper now (i dont like the galaxy gear to expensive)
but can any one tell me
MOTOactv vs SMARTQ z watch witch is better?
fonctions? battery? (games? simple games i mean. i know the motoactv plays angry bird. but how is the smartq z watch does it play any thing?)
i just cant discide. damn i wich i was rich i would have bought them alll

its hard to find good battery tests. i know some one is testing the smartq z watch. forgot the site. i think was a french site. looked good.
how is battery live on moto actv?

Last edited:

SlashSpeed

Mar 24, 2009
me i like the smartq watch seems cool had android 4.4 a earphone plug. 4GB intern. 95€
and the motorola active i know i wanted one last year was 200€on motorola site. but must be cheaper now (i dont like the galaxy gear to expensive)
but can any one tell me
MOTOactv vs SMARTQ z watch witch is better?
fonctions? battery? (games? simple games i mean. i know the motoactv plays angry bird. but how is the smartq z watch does it play any thing?)
i just cant discide. damn i wich i was rich i would have bought them alll

its hard to find good battery tests. i know some one is testing the smartq z watch. forgot the site. i think was a french site. looked good.
how is battery live on moto actv?

As far as I know, smartq Z doesnt' have a build-in GPU, so running games probably isn't exactly glorious.

reggiexp

As far as I know, smartq Z doesnt' have a build-in GPU.

yeah i tought so. damn now i remeber why i loved the motoactv just looking on youtube it plays pretty much every game. i remeber some thing like that the motoactv has a powervr 530 or 531
but i think in terms of fonctions the smartq z watch is queit good.
i wish some one could make a youtube video or pictures of both. to see the difference.
cause the motoactv doesnt realy sync with your phone and show notification? cause i know it wasnt made for that

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm looking into buying a smartwatch and I'm stuck at deciding which one to go for. The price can't be higher than 150$ because of my finances, so Gear and TrueSmart are out of my league.

I was looking more closely into SmartQ Z, ZGPax and Motorola Motoactv. I would use it mostly for everyday use and running. I also take in account the modding capability and apps that can run on it. I'm aware that ZGPax and Motoactv can basically be completely modified and can run most play store apps (and motoactv even has GPS build in). So what about SmartQ Z? Could I for example run edmondo sports tracker?

All answers are much appreciated. Oh and if it matters, I have a HTC One X running CM11, so compatibility shouldn't be an issue right?
    I'm waiting the answer with you, I prefer SmartQ Z

Enviado desde mi Nexus 4 mediante Tapatalk
    I'm on my second motoACTV. It's amazing even if you don't root it and install custom roms.
    My first ACTV lasted two years and is still working. I used it as a daily watch but also at the gym or for running. Sweat and rain damaged the buttons after 18 months of heavy use. Six months later (last month) I bought a new one for $125 at amazon. This one is a newer version of the device with a few design changes but it's still the same ACTV.

The funny thing is that the buttons on my old actv are working now perfectly lol.

But anyway, I would recommend the Actv because it's tough. Mine fell to the floor a lot and there are no scratches what so ever.

Battery life lasts like a week if you use it as a watch.

If you have wifi on and are downloading apps then screen time is 1-2 hours.

It's an impressive little device and it looks cool. And it's so amazing that it came in November 2011 yet it can do the same all these new devices do (except taking pictures).

And its price is also quite good on amazon. So I'd go for it.

Edit: motoactv app on the play store will let you sync everything, no matter on what Android phone you are. motoactv.com will track all your fitness data.