[HOW TO] - Flash Droid2 To Cricket

Search This thread

hammergunner

Sep 4, 2009
OK this is pretty much the same as the droid 1 with a few change ups.

Requirements Are as follows
Astro File Manger(from Market)
ROOT(Use Z4root)
Autostart (from Market)
Custom ROM(i like gummyJar so ill go with that)
Rom Manger(from market)
Bootstrap Recovery(from market)
Anycut(from Market)
Root Explorer(from market)
QPST((google it, 2.11 seemed to work fine)
CDMA workshop(google it)
CRICKET PRL for your area(google it)
Harware Virtural Serial Port(google it)
Moto Drivers for your droid2(google once again)
Autostart.sh & U2nl files(google it)

Step 1. Rooting....

Install Astro File Manger from the market, then place z4root on your SD card along with the Rom file renamed Update and the Autostart.sh & U2nl files.

Open Astro File manger and find z4root.apk, Now Run z4root. and permanently root your phone.

now install and open Rom Manger and flash the clockwork recovery and close

next install and open bootstrap recovery and press boot strap recover. let it work its magic, then close and reopen the app and press reboot recovery.

once in the clockwork recovery wipe data and cache and then install via the update.zip.

reboot your phone.

Install your moto drivers to your pc

now install Harware Virtural Serial Port and open, now click login, and click ok.
Go to the Settings tab and make sure that NVT Enabled is unchecked and go back to the Virtual Serial Port tab.

pick a com port above 8 and below 15 so we will use 9 as our com port.
Make sure the IP Address field reads 192.168.16.2 and the Port field reads 11008
aswell as the external NVT command port be 11008.

now plug in your usb cable to your phone and bring the drop down menu, and select USB, and select PC MODE, press ok.

Now Create your Com port. (if you installed the drivers right it will read connected if not, you will get the error notice.

Now Open CDMA WORKSHOP.

Select your com port you set in HW virtual serial port.

and click Connect. Now Click Read. If everything worked you will see your phones info come up.

now go to the security tab and in the SPC field type in 000000 and click send. you will get a notice the phone is now unlocked.

now go to the other tab and Write your PRL for you area to your phone.

now go the NAM tab and write in your MIN and MDN numbers that you have from cricket. Ex.123-000-0000 and click Write.

now go to http://www.whiterabbit.org/android/ and in the first field type in your phone number@mycricket.com and click generate Ex. 1230000000@mycricket.com. save the text file to your desktop.

now go to the memory tab in CDMA workshop and under NV ITEMS click write.
and select the text file u just made using the webpage, it will say 12 NV items written if everything went right.

now go to Main tab and click mode and then click reset.

now install QPST to your pc. HW vitrual port and cdma will have lost your phone, so close cdma workshop and unplug and replug in your phone to the usb cable. once HW has found it again. Open

QPST Configuration.(under the start menu) click the ports tab and click add new port. and find your port number. Then go back to active phone and select your phone.

now under the start clients menu select SERVICE PROGRAMMING, Now go to the MIP tab. Click on the entry in the User Profile box and click Edit. Make sure that NAI and Tethered NAI both read xxxxxxxxxx@mycricket.com (replace the x's with your 10 digit phone number). If they don't, type it in. Also make sure Home Address, Primary HA Address and Secondary HA Address read 0.0.0.0 if they don't, change them. Click OK

While still on the M.IP tab make sure Mobile IP Behavior is set to Mob + Simp f/back. And make sure Active User says 0.

Now go to the PPP Config tab. Click the UM button. In the PPP Authentication section make sure Tethered NAI and User ID reads xxxxxxxxxx@mycricket.com (replace the x's with your 10 digit phone number) and Req PW enc is checked and the password is cricket

While still in the PPP Config tab click the AN button. In the PPP Authentication section make sure User ID reads xxxxxxxxxx@mycricket.com (replace the x's with your 10 digit phone number) and Req PW enc is checked and type in the same password. Tethered NAI should be xxxxxxxxxx@mycricket.com (replace the x's with your 10 digit phone number).

Now on the bottom click Write to Phone. May take a few minutes and your phone may restart, so sit back and relax most of the hard part is done.

now install Anycut from the market. Open up Any Cut and click New shortcut. Select Activity>APNs click it and click OK on the popup. This will create an APNs shortcut on your home screen.

Now Set your APNS to the Following.

Click on the Verizon and edit everything to match below:
Name - Cricket
APN internet
Proxy wap.mycricket.com:8080
Port 8080
Username yourphonenumber@mycricket.com
Password cricket
Server wap.mycricket.com
MMSC http://mms.mycricket.com/servlets/mms
MMS Proxy wap.mycricket.com
MMS Port 8080
MCC 310
MNC 004
Authentication Type PAP or CHAP
APN type <Not set>

Now click the menu button and click Save. You can now delete the shortcut off your phone home screen.

Now install Autostart and Root Explorer, now using Root explorer go to your sd card and select Autostart.sh, and copy and paste it to the /data/opt/ (this folder needs to be created) directory of your phones root, you will need to mount the folder so you can write to it.

now head back to you SD card again and select and copy the u2nl and paste it to the /system/bin/ directory. Now exit root explorer and restart your phone.

NOW YOUR DONE. YAYYYYYYY.....now have fun and tell me how it goes for you, so far for me its all good, web,mms,talk,text all work fine.

Last edited:

newk8600

Aug 19, 2010
Northglenn
Nice tutorial!

The only thing I would say is I don't think you need to use Rom Manager with clockwork on the D2. I've heard other people who've installed Rom Manager with recovery and it screws up the Bootstrapped recovery. Everything you need to flash will go through boot strap so the only use for it on the D2 is just to download stuff.

hammergunner

Sep 4, 2009
well in the city and where i live i get about good download speed, normal upload for low end carrier.

in the outta parts like the sticks i get 1x speeds but data none the less.

and No this is not for the Droid 2 global, that would seem like a sim card based phone. so im guessing its GSM which means it can be unlocked to work with any sim card base network

And ive done this flash about 13 times already and rom manger and bootstrap all seemed to play nice. i did flash the clockwork recovery before i install bootstrap just so i could get to the recovery menu.

eastwood1

Dec 8, 2010
Would this method work on a Droid Incredible?

Nice write up.Im hoping to do this sometime.

Tumor22

Dec 17, 2010
[:

One question, after flashing to Cricket. How would you go by and updating the system? Cause i could imagine auto updating it would interfere with the flash..

hammergunner

Sep 4, 2009
One question, after flashing to Cricket. How would you go by and updating the system? Cause i could imagine auto updating it would interfere with the flash..

well that would depend on your rom, most rom's faze out the auto update and ever needing it.

And then there's clockwork recovery that's flashed to the phone itself.
clockwork will never allow a carrier update it will always block it and ask you to reboot your phone.

so either way there's no auto updates going to happen, so i would say your safe from the auto update feature in the phone.

But if your rom doesn't have the auto update disabled, your going to get naged to death by it.

Tumor22

Dec 17, 2010
Oh i got you. And any Rom works with flashing over to Cricket?

-Thanks for replying quickly Lol[:

hammergunner

Sep 4, 2009
Oh i got you. And any Rom works with flashing over to Cricket?

-Thanks for replying quickly Lol[:

yup any rom will work, so you can install a rom and just try it out for a few hours before you even get to setting it up web and mms

but even if you install new roms, your talk and text will always work right out of the box with any rom since writing of the MDN and MIN numbers are in the phones main system or a kinda bios, so you can alway try before you keep. And sometimes you can set up more then one rom for full cricket settings and just switch between if you wanted to.

thebestvip84

Sep 24, 2008

Now Open CDMA WORKSHOP.

now go to http://www.whiterabbit.org/android/ and in the first field type in your phone number@mycricket.com and click generate Ex. 1230000000@mycricket.com. save the text file to your desktop.

and select the text file u just made using the webpage, it will say 12 NV items written if everything went right.

now install QPST to your pc. HW vitrual port and cdma will have lost your phone, so close cdma workshop and unplug and replug in your phone to the usb cable. once HW has found it again. Open

QPST Configuration.(under the start menu) click the ports tab and click add new port. and find your port number. Then go back to active phone and select your phone.

now under the start clients menu select SERVICE PROGRAMMING, Now go to the MIP tab. Click on the entry in the User Profile box and click Edit. Make sure that NAI and Tethered NAI both read xxxxxxxxxx@mycricket.com (replace the x's with your 10 digit phone number). If they don't, type it in. Also make sure Home Address, Primary HA Address and Secondary HA Address read 0.0.0.0 if they don't, change them. Click OK

While still on the M.IP tab make sure Mobile IP Behavior is set to Mob + Simp f/back. And make sure Active User says 0.

Now go to the PPP Config tab. Click the UM button. In the PPP Authentication section make sure Tethered NAI and User ID reads xxxxxxxxxx@mycricket.com (replace the x's with your 10 digit phone number) and Req PW enc is checked and the password is cricket

While still in the PPP Config tab click the AN button. In the PPP Authentication section make sure User ID reads xxxxxxxxxx@mycricket.com (replace the x's with your 10 digit phone number) and Req PW enc is checked and type in the same password. Tethered NAI should be xxxxxxxxxx@mycricket.com (replace the x's with your 10 digit phone number).

Now on the bottom click Write to Phone. May take a few minutes and your phone may restart, so sit back and relax most of the hard part is done.

NOW YOUR DONE. YAYYYYYYY.....now have fun and tell me how it goes for you, so far for me its all good, web,mms,talk,text all work fine.

hey hammergunner!
Thks alot for the HOW TO, you are my hero !
i live in asia and i have a Droid 2. I've done all the steps above but just can talk and text.i think i can not do a right config with my network because the NAI and tethered NAI very different
Could you or anyone here help me out of stuck , please show me how to modify my droid 2 to this information :
Nai : 0957919151@hrpd.sfone.com.vn
Tethered NAI : stelecom@dun.wap95c.sfone.com.vn
PPP/Um User ID : S-Fone
PPP/An User ID: 0957919151@hrpd.sfone.com.vn
i've stayed up late since 1 week ago but can not make the droid 2 works with EVDO-internet
P/S : my previous Phone is HTC hero CDMA and it worked perfectly with my network!

Thks alot ,love u all! (please. i already died) :((

Tumor22

Dec 17, 2010
i was asking, cause this forum is almost exactly the same as a metro one, i discovered. But the guy there said only Matt's 2.5 works.?
idk if you could give it a look. Can i post links here?

Justin Z

Jan 2, 2011
So I'm well on my way with this excellent walkthrough . . . But as a noob who has no current service on this Droid2 and no service with any other phone, what should I do to get cricket service going? Order the android plan by calling them, get the basics set up so that I can establish MIN & MDN, then go through the rest of the steps?

Last edited:

hammergunner

Sep 4, 2009
So I'm well on my way with this excellent walkthrough . . . But as a noob who has no current service on this Droid2 and no service with any other phone, what should I do to get cricket service going? Order the android plan by calling them, get the basics set up so that I can establish MIN & MDN, then go through the rest of the steps?

ok first off, yes you do need a cricket account. And No you dont need the android plan. I dont even think cricket will let you get a android plan without THEIR android phone. I tried this awhile back with a blackberry i flashed and wanted the blackberry plan and was told that they would be breaking the contract between them and RIM and could have there store something or other revoked from cricket if they allowed a flashed blackberry to get a blackberry plan instead of buying their phone new, with a new plan.

Soooo in turn i think if would be the same deal so you should just get the basic 40 plan like i have, i have full web,text,mms,email,...etc and all i pay is 46(with tax) a month

and im not sure if cricket will let you order over the phone. But in store they might work with you. Simply ask them to make you an account, pay for everything and then get your MIN and MDN numbers and do the NV items and all the other Settings with your numbers.

BUT this is if the stupid people in store(which almost have no idea other then how to pay your bill) will try to help you with.

MAKE SURE YOU STRESS TO THEM YOU ARE GOING TO FLASH THE PHONE YOURSELF AND THAT YOU FULLY UNDERSTAND THAT THEY ARE NOT HELD LIABLE FOR YOUR PHONE OR SERVICE NOT WORKING EVEN THOUGH YOU PAID FOR IT. (this is just the legal crap so they feel better)

Last edited:
Reactions: Justin Z

Justin Z

Jan 2, 2011
Heh yeah I have already had one experience with the people in the store--I love how about two hours of reading random forum posts online with no structure to how I was getting my information basically gave me more knowledge than an entire store staff combined.

I have read that you can tell them you have an M6000 and get the android plan that way, but then obviously you can't bring the phone into the store with you. On the other hand, you're saying you have full web, i.e. evdo, even without the android plan? If so, makes more sense to me not to pay the $55.

thebestvip84

Sep 24, 2008
hey hammergunner!
Thks alot for the HOW TO, you are my hero !
i live in asia and i have a Droid 2. I've done all the steps above but just can talk and text.i think i can not do a right config with my network because the NAI and tethered NAI very different
Could you or anyone here help me out of stuck , please show me how to modify my droid 2 to this information :
Nai : 0957919151@hrpd.sfone.com.vn
Tethered NAI : stelecom@dun.wap95c.sfone.com.vn
PPP/Um User ID : S-Fone
PPP/An User ID: 0957919151@hrpd.sfone.com.vn
i've stayed up late since 1 week ago but can not make the droid 2 works with EVDO-internet
P/S : my previous Phone is HTC hero CDMA and it worked perfectly with my network!

Thks alot ,love u all! (please. i already died) :((

can my problem be solved?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Requirements Are as follows
    Astro File Manger(from Market)
    ROOT(Use Z4root)
    Autostart (from Market)
    Custom ROM(i like gummyJar so ill go with that)
    Rom Manger(from market)
    Bootstrap Recovery(from market)
    Anycut(from Market)
    Root Explorer(from market)
    QPST((google it, 2.11 seemed to work fine)
    CDMA workshop(google it)
    CRICKET PRL for your area(google it)
    Harware Virtural Serial Port(google it)
    Moto Drivers for your droid2(google once again)
    Autostart.sh & U2nl files(google it)

Step 1. Rooting....

Install Astro File Manger from the market, then place z4root on your SD card along with the Rom file renamed Update and the Autostart.sh & U2nl files.

Open Astro File manger and find z4root.apk, Now Run z4root. and permanently root your phone.

now install and open Rom Manger and flash the clockwork recovery and close

next install and open bootstrap recovery and press boot strap recover. let it work its magic, then close and reopen the app and press reboot recovery.

once in the clockwork recovery wipe data and cache and then install via the update.zip.

reboot your phone.

Install your moto drivers to your pc

now install Harware Virtural Serial Port and open, now click login, and click ok.
    Go to the Settings tab and make sure that NVT Enabled is unchecked and go back to the Virtual Serial Port tab.

pick a com port above 8 and below 15 so we will use 9 as our com port.
    Make sure the IP Address field reads 192.168.16.2 and the Port field reads 11008
    aswell as the external NVT command port be 11008.

now plug in your usb cable to your phone and bring the drop down menu, and select USB, and select PC MODE, press ok.

Now Create your Com port. (if you installed the drivers right it will read connected if not, you will get the error notice.

Now Open CDMA WORKSHOP.

Select your com port you set in HW virtual serial port.

and click Connect. Now Click Read. If everything worked you will see your phones info come up.

now go to the security tab and in the SPC field type in 000000 and click send. you will get a notice the phone is now unlocked.

now go to the other tab and Write your PRL for you area to your phone.

now go the NAM tab and write in your MIN and MDN numbers that you have from cricket. Ex.123-000-0000 and click Write.

now install Anycut from the market. Open up Any Cut and click New shortcut. Select Activity>APNs click it and click OK on the popup. This will create an APNs shortcut on your home screen.

Now Set your APNS to the Following.

Click on the Verizon and edit everything to match below:
    Name - Cricket
    APN internet
    Proxy wap.mycricket.com:8080
    Port 8080
    Username yourphonenumber@mycricket.com
    Password cricket
    Server wap.mycricket.com
    MMSC http://mms.mycricket.com/servlets/mms
    MMS Proxy wap.mycricket.com
    MMS Port 8080
    MCC 310
    MNC 004
    Authentication Type PAP or CHAP
    APN type <Not set>

Now click the menu button and click Save. You can now delete the shortcut off your phone home screen.

Now install Autostart and Root Explorer, now using Root explorer go to your sd card and select Autostart.sh, and copy and paste it to the /data/opt/ (this folder needs to be created) directory of your phones root, you will need to mount the folder so you can write to it.

now head back to you SD card again and select and copy the u2nl and paste it to the /system/bin/ directory. Now exit root explorer and restart your phone.

ok first off, yes you do need a cricket account. And No you dont need the android plan. I dont even think cricket will let you get a android plan without THEIR android phone. I tried this awhile back with a blackberry i flashed and wanted the blackberry plan and was told that they would be breaking the contract between them and RIM and could have there store something or other revoked from cricket if they allowed a flashed blackberry to get a blackberry plan instead of buying their phone new, with a new plan.

Soooo in turn i think if would be the same deal so you should just get the basic 40 plan like i have, i have full web,text,mms,email,...etc and all i pay is 46(with tax) a month

and im not sure if cricket will let you order over the phone. But in store they might work with you. Simply ask them to make you an account, pay for everything and then get your MIN and MDN numbers and do the NV items and all the other Settings with your numbers.

BUT this is if the stupid people in store(which almost have no idea other then how to pay your bill) will try to help you with.

MAKE SURE YOU STRESS TO THEM YOU ARE GOING TO FLASH THE PHONE YOURSELF AND THAT YOU FULLY UNDERSTAND THAT THEY ARE NOT HELD LIABLE FOR YOUR PHONE OR SERVICE NOT WORKING EVEN THOUGH YOU PAID FOR IT. (this is just the legal crap so they feel better)