Proud new owner of a rooted G2X, but rusty with the recovery.

Search This thread

FatBoyExtraordinaire

Jun 24, 2008
Philadelphia
First off, thanks for stopping by to assist. Secondly, I just bought a used G2X off ebay and it came already rooted, with super user already installed. However, there's no rom on there and it's still running Froyo 2.2.2.

I haven't messed with rooting, recovery, or ROMs since my G1 so I'm quite rusty, leaving me with a few questions.

1. I know LG just released a Gingerbread update, yet I can't access it or any of the previous updates through the about phone update area. That's because I'm rooted right? I wouldn't mind just having stock 2.3.4 on here for now.

2. I don't know if the previous owner already put a custom recovery on here or not (not very talkative) so is there a way for me to check that? I was reading that if I boot into recovery without a custom one installed, the default recovery automatically starts wiping and reformating and I don't want that.

3. And just a general consensus question, coming from my horrible Samsung vibrant, GB roms are the way to go with this phone right, avoid the ICS?

Thank you in advance for all your help. Appreciations.

Reactions: dw9906

mt3g

Aug 14, 2009
Phoenix
To check if you have a custom recovery power off phone and then boot into recovery mode via Power + volume down until you see 2nd LG logo, then release. The recovery type will be on top of the screen and bottom if I remember right. To update through Over The Air, I believe you need to be stock completely.
1. unroot, and most of what you need is here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1049154

2.That might be the case I'm not sure, I think completely factory resetting the phone is doable by holding power + volume down/up... Not completely sure as that is as far back as I can remember when the phone was 1st released a year ago. the least you can do is try if you plan on flashing a custom rom.

3. Personally I like CM7 based roms... or at the least 2.3.3 roms, that have been customized.

Overall this phone is cake walk compared to flashing the G1 with all the partitions and the gold card and what not...

FatBoyExtraordinaire

Jun 24, 2008
Philadelphia
That's what I was going to do, but then I read this:

To perform a master reset using the hardware keys, follow these steps:

Back up all necessary data. See: Prepare for a master reset and back up data on Android
Turn off the phone.
Press and hold the Power and Volume Down, key.
The phone will turn on and display the LG Logo
Wait 30 seconds and thephone will display the open box and arrow pointing towards the phone.
Release the keys, and the phone will reset back to the start up screen.

And so I'm catious about checking that right now because I don't want it to reset right now, kind of has used to use it right now.

I actually miss root, so I think I will stay rooted and check out one of these nice GB ROMS. Man, I have missed custom ROMS lol Now it's just a matter of deciding which is the best to use. So out of th eloop anymore on this stuff.

And yeah, the G1 was an adventure. Soft bricked it twice before.

mt3g

Aug 14, 2009
Phoenix
Ummmm well either way if you do flash a custom rom, you are gonna need to wipe regardless. PM with any questions after you do some searching. All the links and questions you have should be out there already.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

kwes1020

Apr 19, 2011
Port Arthur, Texas
Thank you for posting an intelligent thread. Basically if you don't want to wipe then you need to install cwm through nvflash, then create a backup. After that flash a rooted froyo rom. If you flash gb over froyo you will most likely have issues if you do not wipe properly. You can try it...but more then likely issues will arise.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

2war

Mar 14, 2012
Los Angeles
ICS roms are buggy and are awesome but if you dont want any problems GB shouldn't fail you. The first ROM I used were ICS but after months of not being able to record anything I had to try out GB and so far these roms are perfect. The ICS are still badass but I suggest you mess around with all of them though G2x has awesome devs.

aieto

Apr 23, 2012
I can confirm that if you hold the volume down and power until the second LG screen comes up you will factory reset the phone. I accidentally did it yesterday when I flashed the stock recovery back on the phone and wanted to check and see if it had worked. I'm a complete noob with flashing etc but like mt3g said all the info is here just look around for it.

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA

cricketAC

Aug 5, 2011
ICS roms are buggy and are awesome but if you dont want any problems GB shouldn't fail you. The first ROM I used were ICS but after months of not being able to record anything I had to try out GB and so far these roms are perfect. The ICS are still badass but I suggest you mess around with all of them though G2x has awesome devs.
You could have recorded videos by downloading an app called video cam illusion. It does the job.

FatBoyExtraordinaire

Jun 24, 2008
Philadelphia
I forgot about my own thread! lol But thanks for all the insight and help. Currently running into a mobile network/data drop issue so taking advantage and flashing a whole bunch of different roms. From MIUI to Kang Banger is like 2 opposite ends of the spectrum, but I love them both!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First off, thanks for stopping by to assist. Secondly, I just bought a used G2X off ebay and it came already rooted, with super user already installed. However, there's no rom on there and it's still running Froyo 2.2.2.

I haven't messed with rooting, recovery, or ROMs since my G1 so I'm quite rusty, leaving me with a few questions.

1. I know LG just released a Gingerbread update, yet I can't access it or any of the previous updates through the about phone update area. That's because I'm rooted right? I wouldn't mind just having stock 2.3.4 on here for now.

2. I don't know if the previous owner already put a custom recovery on here or not (not very talkative) so is there a way for me to check that? I was reading that if I boot into recovery without a custom one installed, the default recovery automatically starts wiping and reformating and I don't want that.

3. And just a general consensus question, coming from my horrible Samsung vibrant, GB roms are the way to go with this phone right, avoid the ICS?

Thank you in advance for all your help. Appreciations.