External SD Card only guide

Search This thread

ukayani

Oct 24, 2011
mother board manufacturing part number required.

Please give me the exact part number for the mother board. thank you.

Intro:

This is a no-nonsense guide for running your Samsung Galaxy Tab with only an external SD Card.

This guide is a compilation of other (more experienced) user's solutions, as such I take credit only on gathering presenting them on a single easy to follow post.

I don't make any guarantees, specially since this guide involves hardware modification, proceed at your own risk.

I did this procedure on a Sprint CDMA version, but all Galaxy Tabs should be more or less the same.

Why would I do this?

Because your Galaxy Tab 7 no longer works (bootloop in GB Roms or Encryption Unsuccessful on ICS/JB).

Pictures of common symptoms that this procedure fixes:

guide_errors.jpg

Special Thanks to (from XDA Developers and Rootzwiki):

Black6spdZ: Who originally posted this method.
derekwilkinson: Who helped me out with the update.sh changes.
xz124: For making me custom kernel for a couple of tests (No longer needed with hardware hack) and overall being very supportive.
cgugino: Who guided me to use vold.fstab hacks to fix the device (sadly it didn't work).
iFixit: For their step by step images.
Every single Android hacker and hack user who makes this community great.

Procedure:

Summary:
- Open up the device and take internal SD Card out.
- Re-assemble the device.
- Partition the external SD Card (3 partitions, two small ext4 and one big FAT32)
- Modify ICS or later ROM's update.sh to use partition 3 as external SD Card.
- Flash modded ROM via CWM (and Google Apps optional).
- Enjoy

Taking it appart:

Don't panic!, if you can use a screwdriver and build with Legos you are qualified to do this!

iFixit does a wonderful job of showcasing how to open the device up that I rather link to them than try to out-do them.
Follow their guide until step 13 then refer back to this guide. http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-Teardown/4103/2

a21s_LFOa4_ZGm1jv_E.jpg

To actually remove the Internal SD Card (that is not soldered to the board but in-fact glued to it), I recommend you take an exacto knife (or other small blade or thin screwdriver) and slide it around the edges gently; once the edges are loose, take your screwdriver under the chip and just pop it up.

339852964_1645895819.jpg

There will be adhesive residue on the board, I recommend using some gentle solvent to remove it (I used a cloth with a little paint thinner).

Put everything back together (just follow the iFixit guide on reverse) and feel proud that you are done with the hardware mod.

Partition your external SD Card

I used three partitions (all primary, not logical) , two 500 MB ext4 and a FAT32 with the rest of the space.

Linux users will probably not require much help on deciding what software to use, but for Windows users MiniTool Partition Wizard does a good enough job.

Do note that your device will perform according to your external SD Card, so it's not a bad idea to invest in a category 10 SD Card.

Modifing the ROM:

Download your ICS / JB ROM of choice, unzip it and open update.sh
Edit both line 31 and 35 to be as bellow
Code:
    SD_PART='/dev/block/mmcblk0p3'
Save and zip back.

Loading the Modded ROM to the SD:

Because we messed with the SD Cards, CWM will have a bit of trouble finding the external SD Card (until we flash our ROM).

Go ahead and connect your device to your computer and ADB the following command:

Code:
adb shell "echo /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 > /sys/devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun0/file"

That will allow you to access your SD Card from your PC, just copy your modded ROM to it.

Now, issude the following command:

Code:
adb shell mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /sdcard

This will allow you to install the .zip file from CWM, go ahead and do that.

After checking partition types, your device will reboot and appear on a countdown to find the external SD Card, go ahead and reboot it manually before it does automatically (reboot to recovery with volume up).

Flash the .zip again, this time the installation will go successfully and you will have a working device.

Optionally, flash your desired Google Apps.

kalincar

Aug 21, 2013
adb permission

When try to send message trough adb have a permision denied to sd card,any help.....but remember i am noob:good:

zviki

Dec 30, 2008
Maribor
Hi.I wanna to try this but somehow I managed to broke stock recovery and battery charging animation.I can go into download mode but not into recovery. If I try to flash something with Odin,it will fail and the tab bricks with "phone------PC" logo.Then I need to unbrick it,but it's not fully unbricked like before. This was happened when I tried to install stock Froyo rom. When I got it it was bricked,so I dont know what was installed on it before.First I unbricked it,then tried with stock GB,then Overcome safe v.5 and because all failed I tried stock Froyo. I also tried to install rom from external SD but it failed and I need to unbricked it again(because I can't enter download mode and can't charge it).Any solution please?

Sent from my LG-P760 using Tapatalk 2

vampir4997

Jul 18, 2010
Dont think so. It took me forever to even find this fix for the tab. Its really not too bad to do. Ive never taken any kind of phone or tablet apart and i did this with only one issue(i broke a speaker).

Sent from my HTCONE using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Mussels84

May 18, 2013

mezidon

Sep 28, 2012
pls help how do i get the external sd card to work i have partitioned

Intro:

This is a no-nonsense guide for running your Samsung Galaxy Tab with only an external SD Card.

This guide is a compilation of other (more experienced) user's solutions, as such I take credit only on gathering presenting them on a single easy to follow post.

I don't make any guarantees, specially since this guide involves hardware modification, proceed at your own risk.

I did this procedure on a Sprint CDMA version, but all Galaxy Tabs should be more or less the same.

Why would I do this?

Because your Galaxy Tab 7 no longer works (bootloop in GB Roms or Encryption Unsuccessful on ICS/JB).

guide_errors.jpg

xz124: For making me custom kernel for a couple of tests (No longer needed with hardware hack) and overall being very supportive.
cgugino: Who guided me to use vold.fstab hacks to fix the device (sadly it didn't work).

Procedure:

Summary:
- Partition the external SD Card (3 partitions, two small ext4 and one big FAT32)
- Enjoy

Taking it appart:

Don't panic!, if you can use a screwdriver and build with Legos you are qualified to do this!

iFixit does a wonderful job of showcasing how to open the device up that I rather link to them than try to out-do them.
Follow their guide until step 13 then refer back to this guide. http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-Teardown/4103/2

a21s_LFOa4_ZGm1jv_E.jpg

To actually remove the Internal SD Card (that is not soldered to the board but in-fact glued to it), I recommend you take an exacto knife (or other small blade or thin screwdriver) and slide it around the edges gently; once the edges are loose, take your screwdriver under the chip and just pop it up.

339852964_1645895819.jpg

There will be adhesive residue on the board, I recommend using some gentle solvent to remove it (I used a cloth with a little paint thinner).

Put everything back together (just follow the iFixit guide on reverse) and feel proud that you are done with the hardware mod.

I used three partitions (all primary, not logical) , two 500 MB ext4 and a FAT32 with the rest of the space.

Linux users will probably not require much help on deciding what software to use, but for Windows users MiniTool Partition Wizard does a good enough job.

Do note that your device will perform according to your external SD Card, so it's not a bad idea to invest in a category 10 SD Card.

Modifing the ROM:

Code:
Save and zip back.

Because we messed with the SD Cards, CWM will have a bit of trouble finding the external SD Card (until we flash our ROM).

Go ahead and connect your device to your computer and ADB the following command:

Code:
adb shell "echo /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 > /sys/devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun0/file"

That will allow you to access your SD Card from your PC, just copy your modded ROM to it.

Code:

After checking partition types, your device will reboot and appear on a countdown to find the external SD Card, go ahead and reboot it manually before it does automatically (reboot to recovery with volume up).

Flash the .zip again, this time the installation will go successfully and you will have a working device.

pls help how do i copy the custom rom to external sd card. i have partitioned it with minitool partition when i pluged in the card to the tab after partition and adb this code C:\Android>adb shell "echo /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 > /sys/devices/platform/usb_mass
_storage/lun0/file" i get this error cannot create /sys/devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun0/file: directory nonexi
stent. pls hep i have been doing this for days now

vampir4997

Jul 18, 2010
Is recovery reading the sd card? If it is take the sd card oit of the tab and put it in the pc and copy it that way

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

mezidon

Sep 28, 2012
Is recovery reading the sd card? If it is take the sd card oit of the tab and put it in the pc and copy it that way

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

No, it is not reading the external sd through recovery neither is it reading the external sd card through pc after the repartitioning . And when I flash galaxy cubed rom to the tab it just stoped booting and hangs at verzon logo with no animation. The only rom that is bootable in the tab is stock verizon rom 2.2 that asks for activation after loading

mezidon

Sep 28, 2012
pls help am stuck in the stage of loading the custom rom

please any one should help me please i have been doing this for i can't just figure out how to load the custom rom to the partitioned sd card.

murtzsch

May 10, 2014
what about cm11

Hi,

Wondering about cm11, have you found a way to use recent cm11 builds on tabs with broken or removed internal sdcard ?
I'm able to install and use official unstable cm11 for p1, but a lot of applications bug because of the lack of internal card. (camera, cwm, ...)
I've been trying to rebuild cm11 with modified fstab.p1 and init.p1.rc with no luck, the boot.img doesn't boot. :(
There's a NoInternalSD from terenceng, but I can't find any references to the modifications he has done to the nointernalsd build, would you have any pointer to help ?

TIA

addoaryee

Jun 25, 2009
need help

can someone please help me with this. not sure where to edit

## Vold 2.0 Generic fstab
## - San Mehat (san@android.com)
##

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
## Format: dev_mount <label> <mount_point> <part> <sysfs_path1...>
## label - Label for the volume
## mount_point - Where the volume will be mounted
## part - Partition # (1 based), or 'auto' for first usable partition.
## <sysfs_path> - List of sysfs paths to source devices
######################

## Example of a standard sdcard mount for the emulator / Dream
# Mounts the first usable partition of the specified device
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-msdc.0/mmc_host
dev_mount sdcard2 /mnt/sdcard/sdcard2 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-msdc.1/mmc_host
## Example of a dual card setup
# dev_mount left_sdcard /mnt/sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host/mmc0
# dev_mount right_sdcard /mnt/sdcard2 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.2/mmc_host/mmc2

## Example of specifying a specific partition for mounts
# dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard 2 /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1

murtzsch

May 10, 2014
Hi,

Wondering about cm11, have you found a way to use recent cm11 builds on tabs with broken or removed internal sdcard ?
I'm able to install and use official unstable cm11 for p1, but a lot of applications bug because of the lack of internal card. (camera, cwm, ...)
I've been trying to rebuild cm11 with modified fstab.p1 and init.p1.rc with no luck, the boot.img doesn't boot. :(
There's a NoInternalSD from terenceng, but I can't find any references to the modifications he has done to the nointernalsd build, would you have any pointer to help ?

TIA

Hi there,

Found a solution, camera is now working.

device/samsung/p1$ git diff
Code:
diff --git a/fstab.p1 b/fstab.p1
index f91d022..d7c0d7f 100644
--- a/fstab.p1
+++ b/fstab.p1
@@ -8,5 +8,4 @@ radio                       /radio              mtd         defaults    recovery
 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2        /data               ext4        defaults    recoveryonly
 /dev/block/mmcblk0p3        /cache              ext4        defaults    recoveryonly
 system                      /system             yaffs2      defaults    recoveryonly
-/devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.0/mmc_host/mmc0    auto    auto    defaults    voldmanaged=sdcard0:1,nonremovable,noemulatedsd
-/devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc1    auto    auto    defaults    voldmanaged=sdcard1:auto
+/devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc1    auto    auto    defaults    voldmanaged=sdcard0:auto
diff --git a/init.p1.rc b/init.p1.rc
index 4306f9b..267e0c0 100644
--- a/init.p1.rc
+++ b/init.p1.rc
@@ -4,17 +4,12 @@ import init.p1.usb.rc
 on init

export EXTERNAL_STORAGE /storage/sdcard0
-    export SECONDARY_STORAGE /storage/sdcard1

mkdir /storage/sdcard0 0000 root root
-    mkdir /storage/sdcard1 0000 root root
     mkdir /mnt/media_rw/sdcard0 0000 system system
-    mkdir /mnt/media_rw/sdcard1 0000 system system
     # for backwards compability
     symlink /storage/sdcard0 /mnt/sdcard
     symlink /storage/sdcard0 /sdcard
-    symlink /storage/sdcard1 /mnt/emmc
-    symlink /storage/sdcard1 /emmc

on fs

@@ -162,10 +157,6 @@ service fuse_sdcard0 /system/bin/sdcard -u 1023 -g 1023 -d /mnt/media_rw/sdcard0
     class late_start
     disabled

-service fuse_sdcard1 /system/bin/sdcard -u 1023 -g 1023 -d /mnt/media_rw/sdcard1 /storage/sdcard1
-    class late_start
-    disabled
-
 # --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 # GT-P1000L (p1l) only
 # --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

aklysher

Nov 26, 2014
This needs to be a STICKY!!!!

i know from previous experience that a lot of the sprint devices have the internal memory dying and this makes the difference between a usable and unusable device.

techking123

May 23, 2015
I recently rooted my samsung galaxy tab 3 SM-T211, everything's working fine but suddenly I m u able to install apps, saying insufficient space available.
But there are too much space in internal sdcard.
Total 4.5GB is free out of 8.0 GB. However I uninstalled remaining apps but still problem is same.
Help me plz

Sent from my SM-T211 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Intro:

Why would I do this?

guide_errors.jpg

Procedure:

Summary:
    - Enjoy

Taking it appart:

a21s_LFOa4_ZGm1jv_E.jpg

339852964_1645895819.jpg

Modifing the ROM:

Code:
    Save and zip back.

Code:

Code:

If you removed your Internal SD Card like the guide says, then you need to edit a file inside the ROMs for them to work properly.

You have to edit the update.sh in line 31 and 35 to be as bellow
    Code:

It's all there in the guide really, just be sure to read it and follow it step by step and you WILL end up with a working Tab.
    tnx guys 4 responding

so I can't do this tut if my MoviNAND is broken ?

if I can what mod i should use original or or cm cuz i want it to support Arabic language

i made the partitions all primary 500mb ex4 500mb ex4 13gb fat32
    but icant find the fat32 it must be formatted windows cant read ex4 do u think i must start with fat32 then the other EX4s ?

all i hav to do now is download a rom and make some adjustment to it

switch to download mode then run it on odin

any advice pls if there is any links

First of all, CM10 archive need to be modified on *nix or *nux. If you repacked it under Windows, it will mess up.
    I put CM10 on my SCH-I800 with this method;
    0. Prepare partition on uSD as
    0.1 First partition ext4 512MB for /cache
    0.2 Second partition ext4 2GB for /data
    0.3 Third partition FAT32 the rest as /sdcard
    I did this with Sandisk 8GB Class4, CM10 runs very smooth.
    1. Prepare CM10 archive (I did this with Ubuntu on VMWare)
    1.1 Extract updater.sh from original CM10 archive
    1.2 Replace the line with "SD_PART='/dev/block/mmcblk*p1'" to "SD_PART='/dev/block/mmcblk0p3'"
    1.3 Save updater.sh and move it back to original CM10 archive
    2. Flash my TAB with "boot.img" extract from CM10 archive using Heimdall. (This can be done under Windows, just choose Kernel (zImage))
    3. Enter Recovery mode with these steps
    3.1 Power off
    3.1 Holding Vol+ and Press Power button
    4. Wipe data and Factory reset
    5. Connect USB cable
    6. From recovery menu choose "Install from sideload"
    7. On your Windows command promt, run this command
    adb sideload [CM10 modified.zip]
    8. Repeat step 7 with gapps

Hope this will help.
    I have been looking for this for a while. Thank you so much.
    I am in the process of using this to fix a Verizon tab. Before I took internal SD chip off, I make sure that it is not loose due to heat problem. The internal SD is glue very well to the board. So the problem of a loose contacts are not it.
    What I have done so far is successfully removed the internal Sandisk SD chip. Mine did not come off very easy. It broke off bit by bit. but eventually it came off.

After search for the rom file, I found a zip file called aokp_plc_milestone-6.zip. I don't know if this will work or not, but I did modified line 31 and 35 according to the guide. I notice in that zip file, the file is actually named updater.sh instead of update.sh. I don't know if this make any different.

Now I need to learn how to do ADB.
    Feel the Taste of Kitkat

Cm 11 Rom for Galaxy tab with internal SD card failure - a Rom by @terenceng

Goto the below Original Rom thread
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2535646

My Sweet Kitkat HomeScreen
    :
    attachment.php