[Q] Recovery mode opens download mode

Search This thread

Inviditas

Feb 5, 2014
AT&T Galaxy S4
SGH-I337
I337UCUEMK2 (Android 4.3) - Official Samsung Version

I wanted to do a factory reset/cache clear on my phone in an attempt to fix lag experienced when using my phone which got really bad this morning, so I tried to boot into Recovery Mode (Volume Up + Home + Power). It acts like it's going to but then just goes strait into download mode and says "Downloading... Do not turn off target!!", not the normal warning about loading a custom OS and volume up to continue/down to cancel.

I've tried to flash the original ROM and even some custom ROMs using ODIN which keeps failing at the NAND write stage giving the FAIL (auth) error.

Now when booting my phone shows Samsung Custom with an open padlock but otherwise works fine.

At the top of the screen in download mode it says:
Could not do normal boot.
ODIN MODE

PRODUCT NAME: SGH-I337
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Custom
KNOX KERNEL LOCK: 0x0
KNOCK WARRANTY VOID: 0x0
CSB-CONFIG-LSB-0x30
WRITE PROTECTION: Enable
eMMC BURST MODE enabled

I couldn't find anything during some searches both on Google and here. What should I do?

Gage_Hero

Jul 22, 2010
AT&T Galaxy S4
SGH-I337

I wanted to do a factory reset/cache clear on my phone in an attempt to fix lag experienced when using my phone which got really bad this morning, so I tried to boot into Recovery Mode (Volume Up + Home + Power). It acts like it's going to but then just goes strait into download mode and says "Downloading... Do not turn off target!!", not the normal warning about loading a custom OS and volume up to continue/down to cancel.

I've tried to flash the original ROM and even some custom ROMs using ODIN which keeps failing at the NAND write stage giving the FAIL (auth) error.

Now when booting my phone shows Samsung Custom with an open padlock but otherwise works fine.

ODIN MODE

CSB-CONFIG-LSB-0x30
eMMC BURST MODE enabled

I couldn't find anything during some searches both on Google and here. What should I do?

Sounds like you got yourself back to stock on the recovery..... just guessing here... not enough info to say for sure but.... I think if you look in the general thread you will find a thread pointing you to stock roms... to flash in odin... you need to have .tar files.... most custom roms are .zip to be flashed through recovery like cwm or twrp not odin... anyways... I see you have MK2 so try going here..... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2621279

Reactions: ted77usa

Inviditas

Feb 5, 2014
Sounds like you got yourself back to stock on the recovery..... just guessing here... not enough info to say for sure but.... I think if you look in the general thread you will find a thread pointing you to stock roms... to flash in odin... you need to have .tar files.... most custom roms are .zip to be flashed through recovery like cwm or twrp not odin... anyways... I see you have MK2 so try going here..... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2621279

That worked perfectly, I can now boot into Recovery Mode. Point of interest however, it still shows "Samsung Custom" when turning on and I don't have an install ZIP option like there used to be in previous versions of Android. I also have a "E: failed to mount /sdcard (No such file or directory)" error at the bottom of the screen.

The last time I used recovery mode was on my Samsung Captivate several years ago, has it changed around?

ted77usa

Inactive RC / RT
Jan 13, 2010
Fog City
That worked perfectly, I can now boot into Recovery Mode. Point of interest however, it still shows "Samsung Custom" when turning on and I don't have an install ZIP option like there used to be in previous versions of Android. I also have a "E: failed to mount /sdcard (No such file or directory)" error at the bottom of the screen.

The last time I used recovery mode was on my Samsung Captivate several years ago, has it changed around?

Glad that u got your phone back. .... Go to recovery. ...wipe/factory reset. ....reboot to system and then reboot again by pressing power menu. ....Do it two or three time to get stick. .. It should get you Samsung Galaxy S4 splash screen instead of custom. ...:thumbup::D:thumbup:

Swyped From MK2 Dark Venom SS Edition

Gage_Hero

Jul 22, 2010

See post 11 here.... yes things have changed... just out of curiosity... did you root the phone? Anyway... before you do anything else... read.. once... twice ... three times... then read it again... I find if you don't read enough you end up in a bad way... If you are thinking about doing anything with your phone search in the forum.... someone else has probably already done it and you can see how it turned out before you try :)

Reactions: ted77usa

Inviditas

Feb 5, 2014
Glad that u got your phone back. .... Go to recovery. ...wipe/factory reset. ....reboot to system and then reboot again by pressing power menu. ....Do it two or three time to get stick. .. It should get you Samsung Galaxy S4 splash screen instead of custom. ...:thumbup::D:thumbup:

Swyped From MK2 Dark Venom SS Edition

Awesome, thanks so much. No more Samsung Custom. Now I just need to figure out this "E: failed to mount /sdcard (No such file or directory)" thing and I'll be set. To the Google! It can't mount because there is no external SD card. For some reason I was thinking it was talking about the internal SD card.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    AT&T Galaxy S4
    SGH-I337

ODIN MODE

CSB-CONFIG-LSB-0x30
    eMMC BURST MODE enabled

See post 11 here.... yes things have changed... just out of curiosity... did you root the phone? Anyway... before you do anything else... read.. once... twice ... three times... then read it again... I find if you don't read enough you end up in a bad way... If you are thinking about doing anything with your phone search in the forum.... someone else has probably already done it and you can see how it turned out before you try :)