Desire X won't open - Vibrates 7 times on boot

Search This thread

crissoo7

Mar 1, 2013
Hello,

Here is my problem.

My Desire X was working fine, until yesterday. About 1,5 - 2 months ago, i installed a custom rom, this one: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2555350, which worked great, It had no problem. I charged the phone the other day, and yesterday at about 21:00 PM my phone had ~6% battery left. When I got home, at 21:30 I wanted to put the phone on charge. I pulled the phone out of pocket, but it was turned off. I assumed it ran out of all battery power. I plugged in the charger, I waited about 2 minutes before I opened it, then .. surprise: It opened the phone, the first HTC logo appeared, with a short vibration, but then when the next logo had to appear, it just vibrated 7 times and then freezes. Since then my phone vibrates 7 times on boot, and freezes. To restart the phone I have to take out the battery and put it on again.

The one thing I can do, is to enter on Bootloader, and Fastboot, but not recovery or factory reset. When I try to enter recovery from bootloader, the phone restarts and then the 7 vibration again. ADB device is not recognized on bootloader.

I tried flashing other recovery boot images with fastboot, it says succesfully but then again, restarts and vibrates 7 times.

In bootloader it says:

PROTO PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-1.25.0002
RADIO-1.15.40.04
eMMC-boot
Apr 3 2013,15:50:50:1352

I have searched about this, I found several topics about this problem but with other phones, nothing on Desire X. I know it could be a hardware problem, but some say it could be a software problem. Besides I haven't done anything wrong to point to a hardware problem. What could it be??

Please, If you know anything about this, post your thoughts.
Thanks in advance.

dansou901

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 10, 2012
Aachen
OnePlus 5
OnePlus Nord
What I can imagine is that something with the filesystem on the system partition has gone wrong. One interesting thing is, that we get the 7 vibrations as well if we try to run rumrunner on our device in order to get S-OFF. Your case indicates that the multiple vibrations might indicate a filesystem problem. Maybe @nightwalkerkg and @atis112 can share their thoughts on this one as well as they already tried the rumrunner.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

crissoo7

Mar 1, 2013
What I can imagine is that something with the filesystem on the system partition has gone wrong. One interesting thing is, that we get the 7 vibrations as well if we try to run rumrunner on our device in order to get S-OFF. Your case indicates that the multiple vibrations might indicate a filesystem problem. Maybe @nightwalkerkg and @atis112 can share their thoughts on this one as well as they already tried the rumrunner.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Ok, I tried to run rumrunner, but since this require adb connection, and adb doesn't recognize my phone. I only got fastboot working, and even this is limited. For example if I enter "fastboot erase cache" my phone freezes and stop responding, and I have to take out the battery then put it on again, and re-enter bootloader. On the other hand, when I try to boot an recovery image (.img), it works, then restarts and .. back to 7 vibrations. Any other suggestion?

crissoo7

Mar 1, 2013
Actually this indicates a problem with the power button,it's probably stuck. There are number of threads that have the same issue and they all indicate a power button problem. Try cleaning it. That is the only reasonable thing i can come up with since you didn't use rumrunner and the phone worked day before.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1794284&page=2

Could be the power button the problem? Yet... I can switch between fastboot an Hboot in bootloader using the power button, and easily. Doesn't seem that it is faulty. In my opinion this is not the problem.

crissoo7

Mar 1, 2013
I think the EMMC is fried..

when I try some commands with fastboot it says:

fastboot erase cache
erasing 'cache'...
FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
finished. total time: 309.998s

fastboot oem rebootRUU
(bootloader) [SD/EMMC]Error status=0x400008
(bootloader) DATA_TIMEOUT
(bootloader) SD: write failed in CMD25.
OKAY [ 1.263s]
finished. total time: 1.263s

fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.25.0002
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.15.40.04
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 2.20.401.5
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: xxxxxxxxx
(bootloader) imei: xxxxxxxx
(bootloader) meid:
(bootloader) product: proto
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8225
(bootloader) modelid: PM6610000
(bootloader) cidnum: HTC__032
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: HTC
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
getvar:all FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
finished. total time: 1.220s

So my guess is that the EMMC is gone.

But I've read somewhere that i could run android from external sdcard. Do you have any idea how can I do this on my Desire X?

dansou901

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 10, 2012
Aachen
OnePlus 5
OnePlus Nord
I think the EMMC is fried..

when I try some commands with fastboot it says:

fastboot erase cache
erasing 'cache'...
FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
finished. total time: 309.998s

fastboot oem rebootRUU
(bootloader) [SD/EMMC]Error status=0x400008
(bootloader) DATA_TIMEOUT
(bootloader) SD: write failed in CMD25.
OKAY [ 1.263s]
finished. total time: 1.263s

fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.25.0002
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.15.40.04
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 2.20.401.5
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: xxxxxxxxx
(bootloader) imei: xxxxxxxx
(bootloader) meid:
(bootloader) product: proto
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8225
(bootloader) modelid: PM6610000
(bootloader) cidnum: HTC__032
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: HTC
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
getvar:all FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
finished. total time: 1.220s

So my guess is that the EMMC is gone.

But I've read somewhere that i could run android from external sdcard. Do you have any idea how can I do this on my Desire X?

Looks like. Try to claim warranty after flashing stock boot and recovery and relocking your phone and hope that they'll replace your motherboard.

crissoo7

Mar 1, 2013
Looks like. Try to claim warranty after flashing stock boot and recovery and relocking your phone and hope that they'll replace your motherboard.

If I could to a stock flashing and recovery I would not be needed to claim waranty :) . As long as I can't write or read anyhing on EMMC, I can't do any of these. Besides I have no warranty no more...

Thanks anyway.
If you find anything else about what I previously asked, please let me know.

atis112

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 21, 2011
If I could to a stock flashing and recovery I would not be needed to claim waranty :) . As long as I can't write or read anyhing on EMMC, I can't do any of these. Besides I have no warranty no more...

Thanks anyway.
If you find anything else about what I previously asked, please let me know.

You don't have warranty? Because If you have, there is an easy solution. Kill your motherboard and send the phone to warranty! If they can't turn it on, they won't see that you unlocked your bootloader.