Car Charger

Search This thread

JimSP

Aug 18, 2010
Houston, TX
Monoprice has cigarette lighter to female usb chargers for $1.16 that you can use your usb cable with.

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA Premium App

jsw31

Feb 23, 2011
The Scosche reVIVE II Dual USB Car Charger for iPad has 2.1 and 1.0 amp usb outlets, I use this for plugging in my evo and nc. It definitely charges them both even while having all the wireless radios going and tethering with gps and both screens full bright.

projektdotnet

Jul 6, 2010
it isnt more of a hassle, I have 4 inverters, but they all have fans and make noise I wanted to use a NO noise charger thats all

Same issue here, I have a road-trip coming up this summer and I'd love to load up my NC with music and dash-mount it but it'll be a 14-20 hour drive (depending on the number of whiz breaks the wife and kids need) and I don't think I could push the battery quite that long and the inverter when wired to the radio creates quite a buzzing.

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
The Scosche reVIVE II Dual USB Car Charger for iPad has 2.1 and 1.0 amp usb outlets, I use this for plugging in my evo and nc. It definitely charges them both even while having all the wireless radios going and tethering with gps and both screens full bright.

Are you using the Nooks specific cable on the 2.1A connection? I too am going on a trip soon, and would love a car charger that can actually CHARGE the nook while using it..

jsw31

Feb 23, 2011
It definitely charges both. Like I said in my previous post, I usually have both my Evo runniong and the Nook full bright display on for 50 minute commute, using TetherGPS, wifi hotspot, torque and bluetooth, google navigation pulling satellite imagery, and playing mp3s. Granted, it is slower to charge than without all that stuff running but my previous car charger would lose charge with my evo running just gps and no wifi hotspot previously.

I am using stock blackberry usb cables that I ordered from Amazon as well for $1.25 for a pair (google 'B001UC9NOQ', can't post links yet.) These are nice, thick cables that handle the charger great. I leave them plugged in inside the truck at all times. I have not used that Scosche wall charger, I use the stock chargers for travel that remain in my backpack, and I have other usb cables I use to charge at home. I would imagine it works just as well though.

Last edited:
Reactions: projektdotnet

projektdotnet

Jul 6, 2010
It definitely charges both. Like I said in my previous post, I usually have both my Evo runniong and the Nook full bright display on for 50 minute commute, using TetherGPS, wifi hotspot, torque and bluetooth, google navigation pulling satellite imagery, and playing mp3s.

http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-reVIVE-Dual-Charger-iPad/dp/B003N7NO4Q

Luckily I'm used to carrying extra USB cables around but the noise my inverter generated while charging was super annoying, went ahead and ordered this to try it out. Hoping it works for what I need, thanks for the tip :D

borntochill

Mar 17, 2007
http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-reVIVE-Dual-Charger-iPad/dp/B003N7NO4Q

Luckily I'm used to carrying extra USB cables around but the noise my inverter generated while charging was super annoying, went ahead and ordered this to try it out. Hoping it works for what I need, thanks for the tip :D

Let us know if it works for you. An Amazon reviewer just reported that the Scosche reVIVE II didn't work on their Nook Color:
The nook color needs 1.9 amps, this can't do it. Scosche claims 2.1 amps but it isn't even close. It BARELY charges the nook if the machine is sleeping, when on, the battery charge goes down even while supposedly "charging." Playing video, it's even worse. On top of that if I try to charge a regular phone it puts out too much amperage on the 1 amp side and overheats the phone. Save your money, look elsewhere.

However, the reviewer may not know what they're talking about. A charger cannot put out "too much amperage." Too much voltage perhaps, but not too much amperage (current). A device draws only the current it needs.

cybrdmn

Nov 29, 2010
An iPad needs an amperage around 2 A also. I got the Belkin Charge 2.1 made for the ipod/ipad and it DOES charge the nook color. It has a 12V plug with one USB outlet at 2.1A. I used the cable from the nook color obviously...

Last edited:

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
See, part of my worry is not the current output, but if the nook can actually communicate with these chargers and get a full 1.9A draw, instead of the detault 500mA over non B&N chargers...

mrmark93

Sep 1, 2008
An iPad needs an amperage around 2 A also. I got the Belkin Charge 2.1 made for the ipod/ipad and it DOES charge the nook color. It has a 12V plug with one USB outlet at 2.1A. I used the cable from the nook color obviously...

I bought the same Belkin iPad charger from Best Buy. Rated at 2.1A. I used it with the B & N USB cable that came with my Nook Color. I used the 'Battery Monitor' software mentioned earlier here or on another post to compare charge current readings against the stock B&N wall charger/cable. The Belkin was charging right at 500 mA (NC was using ~450 mA, software showing +36 mA current). So somewhere the B & N cable & charger must have a unique way of determining that it is a B&N charger / cable and to allow the full 2.1A charge. I used the Belkin 12V charger on my TomTom and it allowed just over 1A charge, so I know the Belkin iPad charger is fine.

Yes, it does charge the Nook Color, if you are at 800 Mhz and minimum brightness running non-intensive applications--and it barely charges at that ~50 mA. It does turn the charge indicator on the B&N cable orange, and the status indicates battery charge on the screen.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    www.amazon.com/Scosche-reVIVE-Dual-Charger-iPad/dp/B003N7NO4Q
    Is this the one you have? It looks nice and the price looks okay. Nice find. I also saw a wall plug dual usb version by same company on the same page, do you have any info on that one too? It would be nice to stream line travel chargers to a minimum, thanks.
    It definitely charges both. Like I said in my previous post, I usually have both my Evo runniong and the Nook full bright display on for 50 minute commute, using TetherGPS, wifi hotspot, torque and bluetooth, google navigation pulling satellite imagery, and playing mp3s. Granted, it is slower to charge than without all that stuff running but my previous car charger would lose charge with my evo running just gps and no wifi hotspot previously.

I am using stock blackberry usb cables that I ordered from Amazon as well for $1.25 for a pair (google 'B001UC9NOQ', can't post links yet.) These are nice, thick cables that handle the charger great. I leave them plugged in inside the truck at all times. I have not used that Scosche wall charger, I use the stock chargers for travel that remain in my backpack, and I have other usb cables I use to charge at home. I would imagine it works just as well though.
    Did you check to see if the Belkin was charging the NC in USB or AC mode? Battery Monitor Widget tells you the mode in the upper right of the same screen as the graph like this. If the Belkin was only charging in USB mode (meaning the charger's own internal data pins aren't shorted), then it might still be possible to get 2A out of it if you use a USB extension cable with the data pins shorted between the Belkin and the Nook Color cable (thereby enabling charging in AC mode).

So, your post pushed me over the edge. I knew I needed to just cut a cable apart, break open a few chargers and get the gear out and measure stuff--so after your push, I jumped :D

First thing to measure was the resistance across the data pins (the center two conductors on normal USB connectors) of the three chargers I have:

Stock B&N Nook COLOR wall charger: 0 Ohms
    Belkin 12V I-Pad USB Vehicle Charger: 53 Ohms
    Harbor Freight 12V USB Charger: 53 Ohms

I had read in the 'is the wall charger special' thread that shorting the data pins is what tells the NC that it is connected to a high-output charger-and indeed, shorting the data pins and THEN plugging the NC into the two 12V chargers makes the NC believe it is plugged into the NC wall charger (reports 'AC Plugged' in the battery widget).

My NC was almost fully charged so the current draw wasn't the full available from none of the three, but was easily able to get both the Belkin and Harbor freight to put out 'normal' of ~400mA; then unplug, short the pins, plug in and both chargers put out over 1000mA as needed by the NC--the same as the wall charger when plugged into that. I definitely got the feeling that the NC was controlling charge current level. The Belkin unit had no problem supplying the higher current, while the Harbor Freight unit (advertised for only 500mA) started to get hot and started to smell like burnt--probably would have a short life used this way, but never failed though.

I don't have the B&N 12V vehicle charger to test so I'm not 100% sure there are only the two modes as reported by Battery Widget (USB Plugged or AC Plugged).

Short version: Charger needs to have data pins shorted to get the NC to change to high rate charge mode.

I'll add more when I have discharged the NC.