[WARNING!] [FIX!] [BRICKFEST CLUB] How to NOT Hard Brick your Xperia Z1!

What is the bricked phone model and bootloader status?

• Total voters
Search This thread

zeppelinrox

Dec 21, 2010
IN THE FREAKIN' OP
Yeah I did it many times. I did it via OTA and and Flashtool (Latest), never had any issues. Previously when installing Custom ROMs I wouldnt flash kernels (just baeband), but this time I decided to flash Kernel and Baseband excluding everything else in Flashtool.

I have have absolutely No LED, not even a blink. Tried resetting it with that small button under SIM tray. Holding Power + UP button etc. I left it on charge so we will see how it goes.

Also before flashing Kernel and Baseband via Flashtool I flashed IHacker 2.0 (did master resetn in dual recovery prior) and everything work perfectly. After flashing Kernel and Baseband my phone just decided to die and never come back:D

EDIT: PC doesnt detect my device in flashmode
so you've done the exact same thing before and the only difference being that you flashed the ftf's kernel and baseband instead of only the baseband.

========

So about the led light.
If you leave it plugged in long enough it should blink
Don't get your hopes up tho

The pattern I've found if I just leave it plugged into the wall:
It blinks red for however long.
Eventually the red light stays on.
Eventually, I don't know how long it takes, it shuts off.
Eventually, it just starts blinking again.

Normal phone's light will be red, then yellow, then green when over 90%.
When full, the light goes off.

On one hand, maybe the dead phone's battery is actually full when the red light goes off.
And the other hand doesn't know it?

One user did pull the battery but I don't know at what blink stage it was done.

Last edited:

Poesini

Apr 11, 2012
Cali
Yeah, I guess it could be the CA ftf since everyone seems to flash it on top of any kind of ROM...

(If I flash C6903 would it boot? Or do I REALLY NEED C6906?... I dont care about LTE I just need HSPA+)

zeppelinrox

Dec 21, 2010
IN THE FREAKIN' OP
Yeah, I guess it could be the CA ftf since everyone seems to flash it on top of any kind of ROM...

(If I flash C6903 would it boot? Or do I REALLY NEED C6906?... I dont care about LTE I just need HSPA+)
I've flashed it many times with no issue.
Most recently on Monx on the new phone.
Rooted 534 rogers ftf.
Factory reset
Flash rom.
Wiped all and flashed all except system using CA generic 290.

No problem.

I was a bit nervous tho... lol

Anyway, I've flashed C6903 ftfs with no issue previously tho it was before 290 came out.

Last edited:

ruinkhan

Oct 6, 2007
Ontario
so you've done the exact same thing before and the only difference being that you flashed the ftf's kernel and baseband instead of only the baseband.

========

So about the led light.
If you leave it plugged in long enough it should blink
Don't get your hopes up tho

The pattern I've found if I just leave it plugged into the wall:
It blinks red for however long.
Eventually the red light stays on.
Eventually, I don't know how long it takes, it shuts off.
Eventually, it just starts blinking again.

Normal phone's light will be red, then yellow, then green when over 90%.
When full, the light goes off.

On one hand, maybe the dead phone's battery is actually full when the red light goes off.
And the other hand doesn't know it?

One user did pull the battery but I don't know at what blink stage it was done.

It just started blinking every second. I'll probably end up opening the back cover to pull the battery (if nothing else helps).

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

Flashtool sees my device but its says USB Debugging Off arghhhh

Rekoil

May 17, 2008
Göteborg
www.idroidproject.org
It just started blinking every second. I'll probably end up opening the back cover to pull the battery (if nothing else helps).

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

Flashtool sees my device but its says USB Debugging Off arghhhh

I read someone did this (open back cover), to no avail, in another thread.

Since I've read about people who are having this issue with an update applied through SUS I'm thinking you're probably better off just sending it in as opening the back will definitely void your warranty :p

Kisaraji

Sep 2, 2009
Cancún
Other Z1 dead :(

:crying:
Other Z1 dead

Phone model - C6903
Method used - FlashTool version - 0.9.13.0
FTF file used - C6903_14.2.A.0.290_Vodafone-UK.ftf
Battery Level - %66
I flash in flashtool and my Cellphone dont start
No LEDS, no charge, no fastboot and flashmode :crying:

This is serious :eek:

zeppelinrox

Dec 21, 2010
IN THE FREAKIN' OP
Did you flash the whole thing and what was the prior version?

===========

So I threw in the towel and gonna have it repaired or replaced.

Its originally from rogers with bootloader that can't be unlocked.
If the repair guy says that they replace parts with rogers stuff, then I'll just exchange it for a new one.
But if he guts it and uses Sony parts (with unlockable bootloader), then I'll do that.

Sony support gave me the number for a local repair shop.
Gonna call them tomorrow.
If you're near Toronto the numbers is 1 800-668-5649

They're in Newmarket which is less than an hour drive for me.

n0bleINtP

Sep 19, 2013
Perth AU
Guys really what has caused this bricking problem??? Exactly what? :(
Nobody knows exactly. Or even approximately. Or at all. Many think no issue: ie. user error, rare bad phone, bad battery, user does not know how to recover soft-brick. ie: *dude*, these Sony's are virtually unbrickable, you are doing it wrong ! Let it charge - it'll come good ! :)

My own theory (theory - ie. I am probably completely and absolutely wrong) is some sort of patch code in the update is capable of leaving you with a non-working bootloader when rammed into a custom phone with custom flash tools. Probably the patch that modifies the phone so that the Z1 camera will work with unlocked bootloader and no DRM. Is the low-level boot process even accessible with normal flash tools ? Does any one know where the new camera fix is located ?

Why do I care ? One - prevent more people bricking their phones, Two - avoid the issue on my replacement phone. If the mechanism of this damage remains unknown I will be applying .290 once with PC Companion to a stock phone and never use any part of that update again. Custom kernel and unlocked bootloader actually seems safer.

Last edited:

zeppelinrox

Dec 21, 2010
IN THE FREAKIN' OP
Uh... Pcc 290 update to stock unrooted phone still bricked somebody at the Sony forum.

There's another Sony update that's certified so maybe theres a fix.

I had emailed dev sony a few days ago and linked to the DEAD thread but they never replied.

paullu

Aug 26, 2007
usa
Strange?!!i flashed it too
Without any problem

Sent from my C6903 using xda app-developers app

glai3

May 15, 2008
Here's mine:

Phone model - C6906, unlockable bootloader
Flashed iHackers v1.2 and Flashtool flashed C6903 baseband & kernel, working perfect for days.
Yesterday, flashed iHackers v2.0 via CMW and Flashtool flashed C6903 matching baseband & kernel (provided by Dev on OP), stucked at Sony logo splash screen when boot.
Tried SUS, it says I have uptoday software, exit. Tried PCC to repair but cannot recognize the phone.
To get rid of the Sony logo splash screen........
Used Flashtool to reflash a C6906 Rogers CA.534 ftf which boot up fine. Rooted with Kingo and installed DualRecovery.
Flashed iHackers v2.0 again, power off phone, Flashtool flashed the .290 ftf provided on the OP.
FlashTool version - 0.9.13.0
Battery Level - Quite full. Over 85% for sure.
How it got bricked - after Flashtool flashed the .290 ftf, the phone never start again.

Current status: wall charger charged for 18 hours, blinking or solid red led, hard reset triple vibration is there though.
Tried almost everything people suggested here but no avail.

Oldskool1337

Dec 29, 2013
Here's mine:

Phone model - C6906, unlockable bootloader
Flashed iHackers v1.2 and Flashtool flashed C6903 baseband & kernel, working perfect for days.
Yesterday, flashed iHackers v2.0 via CMW and Flashtool flashed C6903 matching baseband & kernel (provided by Dev on OP), stucked at Sony logo splash screen when boot.
Tried SUS, it says I have uptoday software, exit. Tried PCC to repair but cannot recognize the phone.
To get rid of the Sony logo splash screen........
Used Flashtool to reflash a C6906 Rogers CA.534 ftf which boot up fine. Rooted with Kingo and installed DualRecovery.
Flashed iHackers v2.0 again, power off phone, Flashtool flashed the .290 ftf provided on the OP.
FlashTool version - 0.9.13.0
Battery Level - Quite full. Over 85% for sure.
How it got bricked - after Flashtool flashed the .290 ftf, the phone never start again.

Current status: wall charger charged for 18 hours, blinking or solid red led, hard reset triple vibration is there though.
Tried almost everything people suggested here but no avail.

I have the same Problem... But ur Phone isnt Dead .... Just Flash .534 again and ur Phone starts working... I Dont know whats the Problem there but i Tried it 6 with the OP @ I-Hackers and allways the same, after i Flash .290 Phone doesnt Start just vibrates.

But with FLashtool u can flash the Stock rom.

n0bleINtP

Sep 19, 2013
Perth AU
Please take no offense - I am very glad that people here are trying to help. :)

You are talking about a corrupt/incorrect boot image or kernel - and yes, easy to fix with flashtool, or even fastboot a boot.img file
The bricked phones here never reach the point where flashtool, SUS, PCC, fastboot, adb or anything else can work. (corrupt bootloader?)

Signature of this brick is a red LED on charge (usually flashing), no response to anything when off charge or off USB, no flash modes when connected to computer. I am not even looking for a "fix' anymore, just "why" and "how" so that it won't happen to my other phone.

Last edited:

ruinkhan

Oct 6, 2007
Ontario
At least 3 people out 6 who voted in survey flashed IHACKERS 2.0 and got their device bricked. I would suggest all C6906 owners to abstain from flashing that ROM for now.

glai3

May 15, 2008
I have the same Problem... But ur Phone isnt Dead .... Just Flash .534 again and ur Phone starts working... I Dont know whats the Problem there but i Tried it 6 with the OP @ I-Hackers and allways the same, after i Flash .290 Phone doesnt Start just vibrates.

Thank you trying to help.
Please see the feedback from n0bleNtP.

zeppelinrox

Dec 21, 2010
IN THE FREAKIN' OP

Not the same problem.
Read the OP.
Take part in the poll ONLY if your phone cannot be revived
ie. Pressing Volume Up + Power does NOT work and you can't get into flashmode. (If that works, it's not really bricked)
If you have flashmode, you DON'T have a brick.

At least 3 people out 6 who voted in survey flashed IHACKERS 2.0 and got their device bricked. I would suggest all C6906 owners to abstain from flashing that ROM for now.
I don't think ROM matters or ftf file used - it can happen with any 290 ftf.

So far, the only common denominator is the 290 kernel.

And so far, no C6943 devices are reported as brick in the poll but that may be because that model is not as common?
Or it's happened but they haven't said anything here.

noskill.

Sep 22, 2009
The beep thing I have found is really easy to explain: its just the led you "hear" flashing. The sound is right on time with the LED.

I was asking myself something just now... How many of the people still in this thread, with a bricked Z1, got the device on launch day? I preordered my C6903 and got it on day 1.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: THERE IS NOW A HARD BRICK FIX!!
    Thanks to @the_laser and @vovanx500

To PREVENT a Hard Brick, READ THIS ENTIRE POST!

Take part in the poll ONLY if your phone cannot be revived
    ie. Pressing Volume Up + Power does NOT work and you can't get into flashmode. (If that works, it's not a hard brick)

It's NOT a hard brick if you can get into flash mode.
    It's NOT a hard brick if you see the Sony logo.
    It's NOT a hard brick if you see ANY life on the screen.
    It's NOT a hard brick if you get a led colour that isn't red.

And if it's NOT a hardbrick go HERE to fix it.
    Or just flash an ftf from HERE and wipe all / exclude nothing ie. Go with Flashtool's default settings.

But if it's really hard bricked and if took part in the poll... join the club...

dpwOz.jpg

...The Brickfest Club :p

WARNINGS!

Warning 1. Use LATEST Flashtool! (v0.9.11 is DANGEROUS when flashing 4.3 ROMS)
    Warning 2. When updating from a 4.2.2 ROM (*534 or *257 ftfs) to 4.3 (*290/*136 ftf), in Flashtool, DO NOT flash only the kernel and baseband from your chosen 290/136 ftf (the last step).

Flash EVERYTHING EXCEPT SYSTEM!

Read this post in which I elaborate as to why.
    Basically, there's a 4.3 (290/136 ftf) kernel incompatibility with some aspects of 4.2.2 (534 and 257 ftfs).
    I strongly suspect a mismatching ELABEL or BOOTBUNDLE to be the reason in most bricks. MOST likely it's the BOOTBUNDLE.
    There's also some funny business regarding the battery level being misread.

So always be sure, when flashing parts of a 290 or 136 ftf, you flash, at the very least:
    KERNEL, ELABEL, BOOTBUNDLE, AND BASEBAND so that there is no risk of a mismatch.
    Let's refer to it as the KEBB group. Easy to remember :p
    How to update from 4.2.2 ROMs (534 or 257 ftf base) to 4.3 ROMs (290 or 136 ftf base)
    1. Go to recovery and do a factory reset.
    2. Flash the 4.3 ROM
    3. (Optional). Reflash recovery just in case it got wiped from step 2.
    4. Using the LATEST Flashtool, select a 290/136 ftf to flash.
    5. In the last box, ONLY EXCLUDE SYSTEM (ie. select only SYSTEM and leave all other boxes unchecked. In this area, items with NO checkmark get flashed.)
    Hopefully, the above mini guide will reduce the brick frequency :p
    OK so it seems there is alot of bricking going on lately so I don't feel super retarded anymore.
    And it seems to happen even when the user does everything right.

So I think it would be a good idea to try and figure out a pattern to it and determine how and why it happens.

So if you got bricked, post the pertinent details

Here's mine:

Phone model - C6906
    Method used - FlashTool version - 0.9.13.0
    FTF file used - C6906_14.2.A.0.290_Generic CA.ftf
    Battery Level - Quite full. Over 80% for sure.
    How it got bricked - Flashed the Canadian Generic 290 kernel on a Canadian stock rooted 534.

================
    Original OP below :p
    ================

So I was experimenting with getting 4.3 rooted or at least have the latest bells and whistles on a properly rooted rom.

I thought that I'd try mixing and matching things maybe flash a new 4.3 stock rom, do a backup, flash a 534 and root it and restore 4.3 apps.

Not the best idea but I figure no big deal if it didn't work since I can just flash a stock ftf, right?

So I was tired... and I carelessly flashed a 4.3 stock kernel on a rooted 534.

I unplugged the phone and it's totally dead.
    Doesn't power on, no lights, can't get back into flash mode.
    Power + volume up = nothing. No vibration.
    Tried the red hard reset button... still nothing.

The phone was pretty much fully charged at the time but leaving it plugged into a wall charger to see if anything good happens.

edit: after leaving it plugged into a wall charger for about 24 hrs, the red light started blinking but no matter what I do, I can't get into flashmode.
    Howabout you stop trolling, acting like a baby and learn to read?

I specified the kernel and not the entire OS.

I've read about at least 3 people that got bricked without even modifying anything and all they did was update with SUS.

Lots of bricks are happening even when the user does everything right.
    They follower the same steps as lots of others and yet get bricked.

All bricks are related to 290.

And I've never seen such a rash of bricks in such a short time in any forum before.

And I don't even blame Sony for my own screw up. Where did you read that fairy tale?
    I even bought another one.
    But simply flashing a wrong kernel should not brick the phone and should not break flashmode since flashmode should work no matter what.

Keep on kissing Sony's ass butt at least learn how to read.

And quite frankly, I find what they're doing to users to be horse ****.
    First comes the curveball where unlocking the bootloader breaks the camera.
    Next they fix it, but now when rooted you can't mount system rw which allows for even LESS developer enjoyment than before the "fix"

Oh wonderful.

Keep drinking the Kool Aid if you want, but I ain't buying it.

Since you think it's so great and perfect as is, don't flash the next 4.3 bugfix if they release it.
    But if they do release it and the brick reports stop happening, that would only do more in proving that I'm right.
    Not that I even need more proof when simple logic and reading skills will do.

Even so, after the next update, if system remains read only on stock kernel, I may just go back to 4.2 anyway as I've always viewed 4.3 as a general PITA whose only purpose has been making dev's lives more difficult.
    D
    Deleted member 3665957
    Greetings.

the root cause of "bricks" after >= .290 firmware is old s1 boot.
    s1 boot MUST be updated to required level.
    i'm suspecting that deep cause of this is incompatibility of new RPM firmware, which delivered in APP ( kernel and so on ) package with old S1 boot.
    it is great shame to sony programmers, s1 boot was always example how to do things right - and now there is such a fault.

of course, sony services will never know if anything was done to phone software, if you did not tell them about it .
    the only solution for sony service centers now is mainboard replace ;)

but - there is way to fix such phone, however this will require back window removal ( at least )
    as you probably know, all latest qualcomm chipsets have immutable bootloader, which will enter emergency download mode, if it will not find valid boot on flash (eMMC)
    sony implemented method to enter this emergency mode in form of testpoint on phone board.
    once this point connected to GND, battery inserted and usb cable attached ( exactly in this order ) - qhusb_dload or qhusb_bulk device should appear )

then we can load special loader and upload required boot update or entire firmware.

there is 3 obstacles :

1. remove back window without destroying it and and phone ;)
    2. find testpoint
    3. find emergency loaders

just few days ago i got access to p.3
    for p1, here is working instructions and repair movies for msm8974 phones : z ultra and z1

now, who will find p.2 ?

ps.
    yep, i'm joined the club ;) luckily, board was replaced for free in service center.
    Please take no offense - I am very glad that people here are trying to help. :)

You are talking about a corrupt/incorrect boot image or kernel - and yes, easy to fix with flashtool, or even fastboot a boot.img file
    The bricked phones here never reach the point where flashtool, SUS, PCC, fastboot, adb or anything else can work. (corrupt bootloader?)

Signature of this brick is a red LED on charge (usually flashing), no response to anything when off charge or off USB, no flash modes when connected to computer. I am not even looking for a "fix' anymore, just "why" and "how" so that it won't happen to my other phone.