My 2 cents
Originally Posted by bidibull14
Just replace the glass. A lot of care for changing it, but it is not so hard to do. I did it 2 weeks ago, and all is all right.
Wanted to warn that changing the glass is not for everyone. It takes patience and zen. If you rush it, you will likely break LCD and spend even more $$$ that you would have otherwise. Also following notes:
1. Watch at least a couple of youtube videos before starting.
2. Heavy duty heat blower works much better than a hair dryer. Of course, don't go crazy, as it's possible to melt the phone with it
3. S III has a wire at the bottom (the one which goes to the buttons). If you damage it, you will need to replace whole LCD, there is [almost] no chance you will be able to fix this wire. So, always start removing glass starting with the top of the phone
4. Heavily cracked glass is hard to remove, as it crumbles. To make it easier, a) put a scotch tape on top of glass, so that the small pieces stick to it, and b) use a lot of heat
5. Everybody advises to use plastic tools, personally I used swiss army knife with high level of success, and never had a problem scratching LCD. Your mileage may vary, but using metal blade certainly makes life much easier, especially in heavily cracked glass situation.
6. If you do use blade, it often is enough to get blade just a little bit under a glass, and then simply apply heat. Big chunks will unglue all by themselves.
7. Remember, that failure is always an option. Don't use it on the phone, if you know that you desperately need it working right this day, if you don't have a plan B.