Tablet fragility

Search This thread

gunzo71

Aug 24, 2010
Just be careful when you're carrying the tab ..

Mine slipped out of the neoprene case I had in and hit the floor on 1 corner ..

The screen cracked all the way through and it is now unresponsive to any touch inputs .. but everything else still works ..

I had a thick screen protector on, so it probably would have shattered if I didn't have that ..

a HARD CASE is a must !!!

now I must go to samsung and see if they can replace the glass :(

dcc22

Sep 15, 2010
Gorilla glas is a must. But hey, dropping the tablet is a no cash back situation, so Samsung won't use more expensive stuff when they can sell cheap stuff for full prize.

krips2003

Sep 27, 2009
Louisville
Bigger screen will be more fragile compare to its smaller counter part. Look at the youtube video and see the damaged done on gtab7. No matter whether its gorilla glass or not. The impact may be different, but still its a glass.
Real life example, when a baby falls on the hard floor, most of the time the injury will be minor. Now you fall the same way, and you know whats on that x-ray.;-)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

MrSewerPickle

Aug 17, 2010
Frisco
That is unfortunate. Whats even more unfortunate is that there really isnt any rugged type cases avaliable for the Galaxy Tab 10.1.

And the large majority of cases in general are the leather portfolio type and your accident is exactly why I want a rugged case over the portfolio style.

5thElement

Jun 29, 2011
I dont see the point of having a screen protector. This isnt a phone you toss around in your pocket...

gunzo71

Aug 24, 2010
Damage from the corner .. and yes its probably the worst kind of drop ..

from the looks of it .. would definitely be worse if there's no screen protector ..
there are shards of glass at the impact area ..

gunzo71

Aug 24, 2010
bet you never stubbed your toe anywhere and you never arrive at the train station just as they closed their doors and never had coffee spills etc

I can still count the number of ways the outcome would have been different if things hadn't happened the way they should ..

..shipper sent my hardcase wrongly so I got another case instead of the tab case
..had the option of putting it back into my bag instead of carrying it as my bus arrived to catch a flight
..wanting to show my friend the flight itenirary as we're walking to the bus

Its one of those days when your number's up .. its time to go man .. ;)

Giia

Mar 28, 2009
I've like to think myself a careful person. But I'm also hell on electronics...so I appreciate when a product is built to survive most of my clutziness... I mean my Epic4g slid under a bus on it's face... not a scratch on it. While that's extreme. My tab slipping off the kitchen counter to the tile floor below shouldn't have me in tears over the death of my new $599.99+ toy.

So instead of Gorilla glass and/or an ugly unyielding case, i'll head back to BB for that $129 accidental damage protection plan :) Considering I only bought a tablet after my kindle flew off the back of my honda in 75mph traffic, I think the warranty cost is more than justified.

BlackOtaku

Dec 18, 2009
So instead of Gorilla glass and/or an ugly unyielding case, i'll head back to BB for that $129 accidental damage protection plan :) Considering I only bought a tablet after my kindle flew off the back of my honda in 75mph traffic, I think the warranty cost is more than justified.

The warranty is that much? I guess I'll get it considering that the cost of the warranty is a fraction of what I was about to pay for the tablet (free tablet + $129 warranty < $600 tablet), but I still hate to see that money go. :p