Phone Charger

Search This thread

stewart1988

May 6, 2008
I ordered my Nexus One without a charger and was wondering if I could just use my iPhone USB charger with the supplied USB lead?

I'm guessing that's all the charger is right? Just a charger with a USB port or a miniUSB charger?

stewart1988

May 6, 2008
Not when you want it shipped to the UK.
It adds a charger to the basket so I just deleted it

If it is in the box I'm guessing I will still get the US charger and can just use an adaptor to use in the UK.. :)

Driften

Nov 2, 2009
Issaquah, WA
Actually I have used the apple iphone charger with usb cables to charge a BlackBerry 8900 and a G1. I would guess it would work for this, but its your phone and your money if you burn it out ;)

melterx12

Dec 6, 2009
New York City
yeah youll get a US charger then. In any case all USB chargers are the same. if you have any USB charger with a USB port, you can jsut connect your included USB cable to the charger.

cboy007

Aug 13, 2008
Actually I have used the apple iphone charger with usb cables to charge a BlackBerry 8900 and a G1. I would guess it would work for this, but its your phone and your money if you burn it out ;)

this has micro usb i believe and the charger's you are talking about are all mini-usb. not compatible.

melterx12

Dec 6, 2009
New York City
this is not true. the side that connects to the charger itself is still all regular USB. both mini and micro USB cables have the same pinout and electrical output standard.

cboy007

Aug 13, 2008
i know. i'm saying that the end of the cable that plugs into his G1 will NOT FIT into the nexus one because it's MINI USB and the nexus one is MICRO USB.

melterx12

Dec 6, 2009
New York City
thats not wat hes asking. hes asking if an iphone wall charger (which simply has a standard USB port on the other end) will work.

wootroot

Mar 20, 2009
Glen Burnie
yeah youll get a US charger then. In any case all USB chargers are the same. if you have any USB charger with a USB port, you can jsut connect your included USB cable to the charger.

i think your wrong with the "all usb chargers are the same"

my usb charger (micro usb) for my bluetooth headset will not charge a cliq, it its the same in appearance, but somehow it is actually different

however, the charging cable i had when i had a cliq charged my bluetooth, but I avoided it because it was obvious the 2 chargers where different.

snofrandy

Jun 26, 2007
i think your wrong with the "all usb chargers are the same"

my usb charger (micro usb) for my bluetooth headset will not charge a cliq, it its the same in appearance, but somehow it is actually different

however, the charging cable i had when i had a cliq charged my bluetooth, but I avoided it because it was obvious the 2 chargers where different.

correct. Certain chargers have different amp ratings. For example, GPS chargers generally require higher amount of amperage than cell phones, and certainly a lot more than bluetooth headsets

ShyTownFantasy

Aug 21, 2009
the g1 charger will not work with the nexus one. I have both phones. The behold II charger will work with a nexus one phone. my gf had the behold ii phone.

snofrandy

Jun 26, 2007
the g1 charger will not work with the nexus one. I have both phones. The behold II charger will work with a nexus one phone. my gf had the behold ii phone.

You mean plug-wise it won't work right? Because I just took my USB charger, took a Mini-USB to Micro-USB converter and used the G1 charger to charge the N1 and it works.

ohwut

Aug 26, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I'm not sure about the Nexus One but I know on the N900 you could have the problem of that charger not supporting the Data pins(D+ & D-) to communicate with the device and establish a power draw rate, in which case the charger won't work with the phone. The solution was either clipping the data lines in the USB cable, or shorting out the pins in the charger. I doubt the Nexus will be that picky about chargers though.

hristo2000

Dec 27, 2008
Usb Charger

Hi,
I just have ordered mine from US. I am from Europe and i will definitely have the problem with the originally supplied charger.
As i am aware all usb ports works with the same voltage - 5V., only amp rate is different. We just need the output amp rate of the original charger and have to be careful not to exceed it. The smaller amp rates are OK (just the charging time will be more.
For example in the originaly stated data from Google says:
"Power and battery
Removable 1400 mAH battery
Charges at 480mA from USB, at 980mA from supplied charger"

Just one to confirm is the original charger amp rate 980mA as Google stated?

snofrandy

Jun 26, 2007
Just tested plugging the N1 in directly to computer using a miniusb cable w/ microusb adapter and works perfectly. It detected the phone and did that Mount SD notification. I mounted, transfered couple GB of files w/ no interruptions. Also, it charges it like normal.

tdh_andy

Nov 6, 2008
Usb standard is 5V, most chargers with usb output should be 5V. The Amp is determined by the Voltage and (electrical)resistantce, check Ohm's law.
However the chargers are probably limited to a certain amperage(max amp output). All chargers I've seen have inscripted input and output values, as long as output values are within usb standards it should be ok.
I have an iphone car charger with usb out. It stays in the car and charges my family's gadgets no mather the manufacturer/type of device, as long as it supports usb charging.
So theoreticaly it should work. To be safe check the output values on the usb charger.
If n1 came with the american charger you can check the output values of that against the iphone charger output values.

stewart1988

May 6, 2008
Would a simple US 2-pin to UK 3-pin plug adaptor be fine?

The few gadgets I've got with US plugs I would just buy a UK version plug but since you cant just buy these in any shops (yet) will just have to wait and see what they supply first.

Anyone here with the US charger could you post the output values please :)