How to nuke LG's awful bluetooth voice dialing and get Google Now instead

Search This thread

alphawd

May 13, 2007
Madison, WI
When Verizon pushed out the KitKat update for the G2, one of the "features" I discovered is that voice dialing from a bluetooth headset got all messed up. Long-pressing the headset button still brings up a voice dialer, but it's an idiotic voice dialer that can't understand what I'm saying and even if it does, certain numbers it just goes "no entry" even though I have multiple numbers in that person's contact file. It's garbage.

There is a way to completely get rid of this and instead use Google Now when you long-press the button on a bluetooth headset. Steps are as follows:

1. Find and disable the pre-installed app called Voice Command

2. Install the app Bluetooth Launch - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kin.bluetooth_launch&hl=en

3. Open Bluetooth Launch. It's going to be a bit funky looking because it's not optimized for higher-resolution screens. You'll see a bunch of really small text with overlapping buttons on the left. It's ugly, but it'll still work.

4. Scroll down to Google Search, tap on it, and it'll expand a list of a bunch of things. Tap on the one that says 'com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.VoiceSearchActivity'

5. Pair up your bluetooth headset, and long-press the button like you would to voice dial. You should get a popup that asks which app you want to use. Select Google Search and then 'do this always' to set the default.

This should pop you over to Google Now, which can recognize voice commands just fine, unlike the worthless LG Voice Command. It should also make Google Now the default behavior for long pressing the bluetooth headset button.

Steamer86

May 29, 2012
Baltimore
Nice write up. Stock voice command works well for me along with non NOW search. I've boycotted NOW for it's ridiculous battery drain. At one point NOW and location services were decent in battery saving, recent service updates have made it worse though.

Reactions: 1heffer

JimSmith94

Jul 21, 2007
Midlothian, TX
Smart Watches
Android Wear
Thank you sir for showing us how to get back to using Google Now. After the latest Google Search update, BT dialing activated Google Dial instead, and this is the only fix I have found for it. So far this is working great on my Sprint Note 3, and I bet it will work for everyone's phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    When Verizon pushed out the KitKat update for the G2, one of the "features" I discovered is that voice dialing from a bluetooth headset got all messed up. Long-pressing the headset button still brings up a voice dialer, but it's an idiotic voice dialer that can't understand what I'm saying and even if it does, certain numbers it just goes "no entry" even though I have multiple numbers in that person's contact file. It's garbage.

There is a way to completely get rid of this and instead use Google Now when you long-press the button on a bluetooth headset. Steps are as follows:

1. Find and disable the pre-installed app called Voice Command

2. Install the app Bluetooth Launch - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kin.bluetooth_launch&hl=en

3. Open Bluetooth Launch. It's going to be a bit funky looking because it's not optimized for higher-resolution screens. You'll see a bunch of really small text with overlapping buttons on the left. It's ugly, but it'll still work.

4. Scroll down to Google Search, tap on it, and it'll expand a list of a bunch of things. Tap on the one that says 'com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.VoiceSearchActivity'

5. Pair up your bluetooth headset, and long-press the button like you would to voice dial. You should get a popup that asks which app you want to use. Select Google Search and then 'do this always' to set the default.

This should pop you over to Google Now, which can recognize voice commands just fine, unlike the worthless LG Voice Command. It should also make Google Now the default behavior for long pressing the bluetooth headset button.
    Nice write up. Stock voice command works well for me along with non NOW search. I've boycotted NOW for it's ridiculous battery drain. At one point NOW and location services were decent in battery saving, recent service updates have made it worse though.