[Q] What are the advantages of Dev Edition?

Search This thread

coreno

Jul 16, 2009
What are the advantages, if any, of the Moto X Developer Edition? Right now it is a $50 premium for the dev edition, but if I can accomplish the same thing on my own with a regular Moto X, is it really worth the extra $50?

dray_jr

Jul 3, 2009
Fort Myers,FL
What are the advantages, if any, of the Moto X Developer Edition? Right now it is a $50 premium for the dev edition, but if I can accomplish the same thing on my own with a regular Moto X, is it really worth the extra $50?

the only thing you will see is it allows you to unlock the bootloader which makes rooting possible on all OTA's because you can just flash a customer recovery.

also when you unlock the bootloader on a consumer Moto X you void warranty when you do it on a DE Moto X it dose not.

cw18306

Jan 8, 2014
Paradise
the only thing you will see is it allows you to unlock the bootloader which makes rooting possible on all OTA's because you can just flash a customer recovery.

also when you unlock the bootloader on a consumer Moto X you void warranty when you do it on a DE Moto X it dose not.

Also, you get 32gb vs 16gb of storage.

Schaweet

Aug 2, 2010
Can you do a full nandroid on the regular edition?

Also, I've read on twitter the non-dev edition may be locked down for good on 4.4.2.

If you want root, you may as well get the Dev edition to guarantee it.

Sent from my Dev Edition Moto X

Last edited:

drago10029

Nov 19, 2008
Phazon Mines

If you don't care about the astheitcs then yes it's worth it!! You get an unlocked bootloader ANd Motorola will still backup up the warranty. As to what extent they will back the warranty you would have to ask customer service.

Hope that helps ;)

flashallthetime

May 27, 2012
Stouffville

Also, I've read on twitter the non-dev edition may be locked down for good on 4.4.2.

Yes you can do a nandroid on any moto with a unlocked boot loader
No we are not locked in anymore than you are , the new bootloader 30.b4 can not be downgrade , that goes also for developer editions
There's no differences between de and regular editions with a unlocked booloader. The differences are the warranty, our warranty is void as soon as we unlock as yours is still valid
Firmware is exactly the same
Sent on my Gummy running Lenoto X

drago10029

Nov 19, 2008
Phazon Mines

There is a thread linking to Moto's site where you can unlock bootloader's on non DE devices but it removes your warranty.

Schaweet

Aug 2, 2010
No we are not locked in anymore than you are , the new bootloader 30.b4 can not be downgrade , that goes also for developer editions
There's no differences between de and regular editions with a unlocked booloader. The differences are the warranty, our warranty is void as soon as we unlock as yours is still valid

Hahaha....thats not what I meant. I meant a regular AT&T and Verizon Edition.

---------- Post added at 06:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 AM ----------

I wish they allowed the Verizon version to be unlocked :(

Maybe you should have purchased the the Dev Edition. It's not like it was a secret that VZW would lock down their bootloader. They always do.

coreno

Jul 16, 2009

Why would someone want to downgrade the bootloader?

Hahaha....thats not what I meant. I meant a regular AT&T and Verizon Edition.

---------- Post added at 06:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 AM ----------

Maybe you should have purchased the the Dev Edition. It's not like it was a secret that VZW would lock down their bootloader. They always do.

The Verizon regular edition can't be unlocked?

edthesped

Sep 13, 2010
Why would someone want to downgrade the bootloader?

The bigger question would be why would someone want to downgrade the firmware as each new firmware release "upgrades" the bootloader. So it appears that once you accept a firmware update on your phone there's no going back. If there is something about the update you can't tolerate you appeared to be screwed, even with a dev ed. At least that's what I'm piecing together. I have a VZ dev ed and will try to flash the modem and system files to see what happens when 4.4.2 comes out as I'd like to keep my options open if for some reason I want to downgrade. FWIW, I've been on android since the original droid and never felt compelled to downgrade but like the warm and fuzzy feeling of knowing that I can if I want.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

coreno

Jul 16, 2009
The bigger question would be why would someone want to downgrade the firmware as each new firmware release "upgrades" the bootloader. So it appears that once you accept a firmware update on your phone there's no going back. If there is something about the update you can't tolerate you appeared to be screwed, even with a dev ed. At least that's what I'm piecing together. I have a VZ dev ed and will try to flash the modem and system files to see what happens when 4.4.2 comes out as I'd like to keep my options open if for some reason I want to downgrade. FWIW, I've been on android since the original droid and never felt compelled to downgrade but like the warm and fuzzy feeling of knowing that I can if I want.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

4.4.2 isn't out on vzw yet? When it does come out, it sounds like it should be possible to flash it without flashing the bootloader? What effect does the bootloader have on custom roms?

Sorry for some of the newb questions, but my Galaxy Nexus didn't have any issues/concerns with the bootloader that I'm aware of. It was just flash whatever and go.

flashallthetime

May 27, 2012
Stouffville
4.4.2 isn't out on vzw yet? When it does come out, it sounds like it should be possible to flash it without flashing the bootloader? What effect does the bootloader have on custom roms?

Sorry for some of the newb questions, but my Galaxy Nexus didn't have any issues/concerns with the bootloader that I'm aware of. It was just flash whatever and go.

Ok forget about any former product you've had previously.
Moto is completely different when it comes to boot loaders.
Pm me please, I do not want to explain Why on a open thread as someone will hard brick their device. I gave a thread that's stickied regarding boot loaders and there's an example of why you should not run the 4.4 system while on the 4.4.2 bootloader
Here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2635366

edthesped

Sep 13, 2010
Ok forget about any former product you've had previously.
Moto is completely different when it comes to boot loaders.
Pm me please, I do not want to explain Why on a open thread as someone will hard brick their device. I gave a thread that's stickied regarding boot loaders and there's an example of why you should not run the 4.4 system while on the 4.4.2 bootloader

Okay, what about running 4.4.2 system on 4.4 boot loader? When 4.4.2 hits BMW I plan on flashing system and modem files only. I figure worst case I'll bout loop and will have to reinstall 4.4 then decide if it's worth moving forward. I have a custom recovery so I can't accept an ota.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

Okay, what about running 4.4.2 system on 4.4 boot loader? When 4.4.2 hits VZW I plan on flashing system and modem files only. I figure worst case I'll bout loop and will have to reinstall 4.4 then decide if it's worth moving forward. I have a custom recovery so I can't accept an ota.

Sorry for the double post i was trying to fix auto correct. I swear i turned it off.

flashallthetime

May 27, 2012
Stouffville
Okay, what about running 4.4.2 system on 4.4 boot loader? When 4.4.2 hits BMW I plan on flashing system and modem files only. I figure worst case I'll bout loop and will have to reinstall 4.4 then decide if it's worth moving forward. I have a custom recovery so I can't accept an ota.

---------- Post added at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

Sorry for the double post i was trying to fix auto correct. I swear i turned it off.

:) :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Sent on my Lenoto A2109 tablet :) :)

piccit

Dec 16, 2011
there's an example of why you should not run the 4.4 system while on the 4.4.2 bootloader

No. That is an example of why you shouldn't try to downgrade your bootloader. That person's problem was NOT that he was running an old system. It was that he was running a two-versions-old system and then tried to take an OTA meant to upgrade a bootloader from two-versions-old to one-version-old (i.e. 4.2.2 bootloader to 4.4 bootloader but he was already running 4.4.2 bootloader) -- which all translates into he was (however inadvertently) trying to downgrade his bootloader from 4.4.2 version to 4.4

flashallthetime

May 27, 2012
Stouffville
No. That is an example of why you shouldn't try to downgrade your bootloader. That person's problem was NOT that he was running an old system. It was that he was running a two-versions-old system and then tried to take an OTA meant to upgrade a bootloader from two-versions-old to one-version-old (i.e. 4.2.2 bootloader to 4.4 bootloader but he was already running 4.4.2 bootloader) -- which all translates into he was (however inadvertently) trying to downgrade his bootloader from 4.4.2 version to 4.4

He was trying to do something that should be done, my point was to give people a example of what happens if your boot loaders is 4.4.2 and your system file is on 4.4 and you accept the ota, that simple.

piccit

Dec 16, 2011
...to give people a example of what happens if your boot loaders is 4.4.2 and your system file is on 4.4 and you accept the ota, that simple.

it was running on 4.4.2 software, then i downgrade to 4.2.2. all was fine, but OTA killed it.

Again, no. His problem was from running 4.2.2.

I don't feel like finding the posts, but others have reported success being on 4.4.2, reflashing 4.4 system + recovery, and taking the 4.4->4.4.2 OTA without problems

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Curious what the answer to the question is. I, like the above poster see no reason to update my bootloader if it means I can't go back. If Verizon ever comes out with this update I would like to flash everything but the bootloader...any issue with this?

Moto changes the game with every update , so I can't say you can do that or not. See the 4.2.2 post camera update came out , you couldn't run a kitkat ROM without some security issues and the settings menu fc'ing. It required the kitkat modem. So who knows. Worst case you'll need to update eventually
    Hope that helps