[APP] PDF Viewer update

Search This thread

vdubjim

Oct 22, 2010
The version i talked about, and asked for the paypal link many pages ago, works great on my 2.2 ARIA, and 2.3 Coby tablets searching a 1600 page document.......

Xinthose

Jan 28, 2012
yes, I did; (apvpro-0.3.2-armeabi.apk and apvpro-0.3.2.apk) both installed fine on my Pandigital cracked Android tablet (apvpro-0.3.2-armeabi-v7a.apk would not install) ; but when I try to view this pdf (sendspace.com/file/8gus6w) it lags on me a lot and takes 3 mins plus just to load the first page.

Xinthose

Jan 28, 2012
well, it was a 1400 page textbook on vector mechanics with tons of pictures, is probably why it was running so slow :rolleyes: ; so I ended up splitting the document into 4 separate parts and now they load faster; but your application otherwise works very well and I thank you for that; I would have used Adobe 10.1.1 but I get parse errors when installing it on a non-Android market device; this app is just as fast (seemingly) as adobe 9 except with a Ton more features.

arpruss

Jul 3, 2010
pruss.mobi
Now that I have a multitouch device, I added multitouch zoom to APV in 0.3.3dev01, available here

It's far from perfect. In particular, I am not so happy with the flash you get when your fingers let go. Also, occasionally the page position isn't quite right when you let go. If you have a way of duplicating this problem consistently, let me know. But it works and is useful.

xgustavoacex

Dec 9, 2010
I'd love to have a pdf view with a translate/definition function.

I mean, if you select a word, it goes online and find a definition for it. Just like iBooks does for ebooks files (not for pdf)

I'm testing your app right now

白い熊

Aug 29, 2011
相撲道
Instead, there is a "vertical scroll lock" option. This locks the scrolling to be only vertical, unless you make a serious (1/5 screen width) swipe left or right which temporarily unlocks horizontal scrolling.
I read many books, not available as pdfs, that I buy and scan. I therefore have two requests, if I may, regarding scrolling.

I would like a horizontal scroll lock very much, as I scroll horizontally. Sub-request, many books I read are Japanese, thus it'd be great if one could have a setting for horizontal scroll direction, left to right, and right to left.

Anyhow horizontal scrolling currently doesn't seem to work at all, though you mention that making a horizontal motion 1/5 of the screen should do it, doesn't do anything for me.

Second request, very important, scrolling page lock. Now, pages just roll based on how you flick the finger, no way to just flip to next page. Furthermore, as I scan the books myself, they don't have a uniform page size, and it's very uncomfortable to see parts of other pages on the screen too.

Last, minor, not related to scrolling, can you add yellow text on black background to the invert colors option. I prefer it over green.

Thank you and many thanks for your efforts in developing this app.

Best regards,
--
白い熊

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I needed a PDF viewer for my own purposes, and the closest I could find was Maciej's PDF Viewer (=apv) app on the market. It was open source, and so I made a bunch of changes that I wanted or needed. Anyway, I now have a pre-release for version 0.3.0, which include a bunch of enhancements since Maciej's 0.2.9 release.

Here it is.

New features:
    - speed optimizations
    - page number display
    - options including: full screen, reverse video, various tweaks, page with volume keys
    - overhauled file selection: added icons for directories, added home directory option
    - better font rendering
    Thanks for all the bug reports! We've now released 0.3.0 in the Market.

I would suggest that bug reports get posted in the Issues section of code.google.com/p/apv
    I`ve just tested this app for half an hour with a bunch of PDFs littered in my Desire. This is without exaggeration the best pdf-viewer I´ve seen so far.

Very useful:
    - zooming in steps as little as 5% because most PDFs were made for monitors or printing and not smartphones

Remember, too, that if you set the 5% zoom option, you can still long-touch the zoom buttons for a 2X zoom.
    I posted a release candidate for 0.3.0. We're basically ready. The problem with smooth forward scrolling on large screens has been fixed. An option to increase cache size has been added. The long-tap context menu has been improved.

There are two features that I'd like to implement but that aren't going to make it into 0.3.0: (1) export to text file and launch an ebook reader to view; (2) double tap on paragraph to fit the paragraph to width. (These two features are actually closely related--they both require paragraph detection logic.)
    I thought of another option that might be beneficial to add to your double-tap zoom. If you double-tap again, revert back to previous zoom level. I attempted to use the double-tap to look at a graphic within a pdf more closely, and then wanted to return to my previous zoom.

As it is, double-tapping again zooms in again. After the zoom has been doubled once, I can't imagine a scenario where someone would want to 2x zoom again.