Help me to Find the Lapdock for Droid 3

Search This thread

alex8787

Jan 15, 2007
I am told that there is a Keyboard/Screen/Trackpad dock for the Droid 3, if you don't mind that its keyboard shares its regular Qwerty keys with Chinease simbols besides our regular alphabet.

At least that whats my provider of tech stuff has told me. Does anyone know about it? (just to make sure that he doesn't charge me too much for it).

Thanks a million.

PS: I hope someone can provide me with more info before him; if not (and it was really true), I will try to post about it.

yaemes

May 19, 2010
Someone could make an adapter cable that would retrofit the D3 into the Atrix dock if they were up to the task, but I haven't heard of a lapdock for the D3. Could you get a picture? You might have found something valuable!

jfont25

Mar 9, 2010
Bionic Lapdock?

The HDMI and USB connectors on the Bionic appear to have the same positioning as the Droid 3. I would be curious to see if the Bionic's lapdock would work with the D3.

slow88lx

Apr 18, 2009
Galaxy S4
Nope, there is no Webtop software on the D3. Nor is there 1gb of ram like there is on the Bionic, Atrix, Photon.... Even if it plugs in the D3 won't know how to interact with it.

You can however use HDMI mirroring, but the Droid 3 can't talk to a keyboard or mouse.

alex8787

Jan 15, 2007
Now he changed the story...

Now this person says its an adaptor to the current lapdock, and the picture he saw has a Droid 3 conected using the adaptor.

While this might just mean Screen Mirroring instead of a parallel firefox, the keyboard indeed might not work.

At first I always suspected about the mirroring, but the keyboard could always has worked if it used the bluetooth as a method of comunicating if the USB didn't allowed out otherwise.

While I have tried more than one keyboard, and all seemed to work nicely, like the Palm Bluetooth Keyboard, even the Apple Wireless Keyboard, I am not sure if a mouse would work as well.

If it was true indeed about an adaptor, and it works, I will keep you posted.

By the way, what if, and this it a BIG if, the lapdock contains all the firefox IN it, and it just uses the disk/SD memory in the phone? wouldn't that make it more prone to be compatible? Thats just a thought...

N

Nardholio

I can confirm the Motorola Lapdock 100 works just fine with the Droid 3. It lacks Webtop and some things are minor annoyances (like Swype pops out whenever you click a text box. Either click esc to make it go away or pull out the phone's keyboard a hair) In fact I'm typing this response from my Lapdock. The USB keyboard and mouse work just fine (I think that's built into Android) and my wireless mouse even works when I plug the dongle into the USB replicator on the back. I think the replicator also will accept a thumb drive or a keyboard.

uze

Oct 14, 2010
Hello.

Can you make some movies from Droid 3 with Lapdock?
How is screen resolution in this combination? 960x540 or Lapdock native?

Thanks in advance and I am sorry for my bad English.

Last edited:

dtor

Feb 13, 2008
I can confirm the Motorola Lapdock 100 works just fine with the Droid 3. It lacks Webtop and some things are minor annoyances (like Swype pops out whenever you click a text box. Either click esc to make it go away or pull out the phone's keyboard a hair) In fact I'm typing this response from my Lapdock. The USB keyboard and mouse work just fine (I think that's built into Android) and my wireless mouse even works when I plug the dongle into the USB replicator on the back. I think the replicator also will accept a thumb drive or a keyboard.

Is this setup still working? I ask because I read a post on the Motorola forum where a guy's D3/Lapdock 100 worked as you describe until he took a call. Once the call was over, it went back to simple HDMI mirror, with no keyboard/mouse functionality, even after reboots, etc.

tbdombrosky

Sep 14, 2006
I got one of the Bionic docks in the $59 deal as well. It arrived today and the connectors do need to be flipped around. While the lapdock's native resolution is 1366x768, the Droid 3 will only output at 960x540. I'm hoping to use it with an RDP app, but none of the RDP apps work well with it.

Let me know if there are any questions on the functionality.

spunker88

Sep 8, 2006
Upstate NY
I got one of the Bionic docks in the $59 deal as well. It arrived today and the connectors do need to be flipped around. While the lapdock's native resolution is 1366x768, the Droid 3 will only output at 960x540. I'm hoping to use it with an RDP app, but none of the RDP apps work well with it.

Do the keyboard and mouse work? I have a Atrix 4G one that I got from ebay for $59 sitting new in the box.

The Chris

Jul 24, 2009

Why would the D3 only have an out put of 960x540? Can't it produce 1080p out on that HDMI connector?

spunker88

Sep 8, 2006
Upstate NY
Why would the D3 only have an out put of 960x540? Can't it produce 1080p out on that HDMI connector?

It outputs at 1080p, or at least my TV reports it as that but it looks like its just an upconverted 950x540 picture, since its duplicating the phone's screen. What would be nice is an option to have HDMI only (the phone screen is off) so it could actually produce a real 1920x1080 display, the hardware should be capable.

prop7459

Jul 20, 2010
I pretty sure the D3 only outputs above 960x540 when you are playing a video only. I wonder if we can mod the D3 so it can always output to 1080p.

The Chris

Jul 24, 2009
OK, so my $59 Atrix Lapdock showed up a few minutes ago. I opened up the carrier dock and flipped around the connectors. The dock needs to be dremelled a little bit, but once it's plugged in, the video is mirrored and the touchpad and keyboard function normally. It's just like an Android powered laptop at this point, with a 3G connection. Need to dig around for the webtop/lapdock app now and see if that's something I should care about. The resolution looks to be exactly the same as the phone, for now. I'm thinking a little hack could get the resolution upped.

Stay tuned.

spunker88

Sep 8, 2006
Upstate NY
OK, so my $59 Atrix Lapdock showed up a few minutes ago. I opened up the carrier dock and flipped around the connectors. The dock needs to be dremelled a little bit, but once it's plugged in, the video is mirrored and the touchpad and keyboard function normally. It's just like an Android powered laptop at this point, with a 3G connection. Need to dig around for the webtop/lapdock app now and see if that's something I should care about. The resolution looks to be exactly the same as the phone, for now. I'm thinking a little hack could get the resolution upped.

Stay tuned.

Thanks, the Motorola Gingerbread webtop app hasn't been ported because of RAM limitations. The Ubuntu on Android project is claiming 512MB as a minimum and will be released open source eventually so their is hope of running that someday if someone can port it. It requires no kernel modifications and runs on top of Android so it should be possible.

I will probably mod my Atrix 4G lapdock at some point.

The Chris

Jul 24, 2009
Thanks, the Motorola Gingerbread webtop app hasn't been ported because of RAM limitations. The Ubuntu on Android project is claiming 512MB as a minimum and will be released open source eventually so their is hope of running that someday if someone can port it. It requires no kernel modifications and runs on top of Android so it should be possible.

I will probably mod my Atrix 4G lapdock at some point.

That's kind of what I was seeing, too. There appears to be other webtop-ish like apps on the market that do things when you plug them into HDMI. Researching them now.

But yeah, the Ubuntu on Android looks to be badass!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My lapdick experience

I received my Atrix dock and really like it so far. I had to do quite a bit of trimming on the plastic dock to make the D3 sit properly and make a reliable connection. It works well and I really like it. Played with it for about a day now, Netflix is nice on bigger screen,texting is good, Angry Birds is good. I also like that it charges the phone battery.

All in all it took about an hour of plastic trimming and test fitting. I added one item as peace of mind for myself. Once the phone is docked I have a black Velcro cable tie a wrap around the phone and dock connector so I can move and not be to worried about the phone falling or the connectors being subjected to more stress than needed.
    so, let me see if i get this right.
    lapdock 100 works fine, and at lapdock for atrix/bionic i need to flip around the connectors?
    or is the same flip for any lapdocks?

(can i get a more detailed explanation of how to flip what? )
    thank you.

i am thinking of buying this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Bion..._1_4?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1334727926&sr=1-4

The HDMI and USB connectors need to be flipped. It's easy to do, just flip up the phone dock, locate the two little black circular stickers, remove them and unscrew the screws underneath. Then, the phone dock pops open to reveal the USB and HDMI connectors. Unscrew the bracket holding them in place, flip them over, and put the bracket back on. The HDMI plug is a little bit tricky, but it works. Then, you will have to shave down the left side of where the phone sits so it can fully dock.

Good luck!
    It looks like they are both the same thing, except for the shape of the dock. It's a little plastic piece that pops out and it shapes to the phone (Atrix 4G or Droid Bionic) and the ports might be flipped from one to the other. Go with the cheaper one.
    so i managed to make it work, but it shows me its connected to dock, only when the lid is closed. once i open the lid, the phone disconnects. any help?

You could try plugging in only one of the two cables by opening the lapdock and unscrewing them. If you just plug in HDMI it should work similar to when you connect it to a TV with HDMI. Then try microUSB once you know the display/HDMI works.
    my 100 works

So after I got the dock took it apart and looked closely, there are plastic boots around the connectors that are basically d shaped so when you try to turn the connectors around they don't fit correctly although you can mess with it and make it work it seemed to me that it is very hard to get the usb connector to connect every time. You have to remove the metallic tape to see the shape of the boots. You can see the shape of one of the plastic boots in the attached photo (sorry for the glare).

My fix was to use a hot knife cut the boots in half, take them off, flip them around and hot glue them back into place. After this procedure the connectors are are held in place correctly. Also plugging them into the phone before screwing the bracket down helped tremendously. The nice part of hot glue is you can just pull it apart and scrape it off if things are not just right.

I accidentally broke three wires on the usb connector and had to re-solder them. Then it took fixing one of the wires twice. I also made the holes larger before trying to put it together. It took about 6 tries in all to get it right (including just turning the connectors around before I was determined to dramatically improve it). Then I put a little more hot glue along the bottom of the connectors to strengthen up the wires. I used a wedge shaped grinder on each end of the mount to knock the ridges down as well. I didn't put the little spacer plastic back. The phone fits great and the connectors are very stable.

Now over 95% of the time I dock it and it just works. There has been a few times where the screen didn't go to the correct size or the sound didn't work and once hdmi didn't detect anything but I feel confident it will work every time I go to use it and reconnecting it fixes it.

I have a stock global d3 rooted, swipe is turned off so I don't see that issue and I love this thing.

I took it on vacation and played Lushington Springs with a bluetooth mouse everywhere I went. Everyone asked about it and it works so good I even connected a couple other people's phones (a bionic and a razor). I watched movies on the airplane it is small enough to have it fully open on your lap while sitting on the plane. The keyboard is great and typing txt messages on this is a pleasure. Anyhow I can't recommend getting a lapdock enough.