[GUIDE] Getting your unlocked Note fully functional on AT&T (including MMS)

Search This thread
A

AndroidSlave

Ok... Bc people in this thread claim lte provisions make a big difference... Are you saying thats inaccurate?

Can you post those apn... Or are they the same as what is already here

:eek::eek::eek:

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

bkeaver

Ok... Bc people in this thread claim lte provisions make a big difference... Are you saying thats inaccurate?

Can you post those apn... Or are they the same as what is already here

:eek::eek::eek:

My apn is already listed in this thread as a apn backup and restore file.

Here is screen shots of lte provisioned sim with pta apn and hspa+ sim with normal apn...

c6e4c99e-890a-84a5.jpg
c6e4c99e-8916-ebfc.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

Last edited:

Jade Eyed Wolf

Nov 4, 2010
Arlington Virginia
The whole idea behind getting LTE provisions is NOT for speed improvements. It is ONLY so that you can have 5 gigs of un-throttled speed (for grandfathered unlimited users) as opposed to 3 gigs. That's all. Nothing more.

Jade Eyed Wolf

Nov 4, 2010
Arlington Virginia
Getting LTE provisioning on a phone that doesn't have LTE capabilities will do nothing for you and gets you nowhere. Anyone that tells you different is full of it. I used my apn settings from my sgs2 and depending the area I am in get 6 or 7 mb down and 2mb up.

See my post above. I explain the reasoning for LTE provisioning in my OP, if you read it carefully. It's only worth getting LTE provisioning IF you are a grandfathered unlimited data user, otherwise, don't bother. Furthermore, I explain in the OP how to get the IMEI of a sanctioned AT&T device by going to an AT&T store (or using a friend's IMEI from their own AT&T LTE device), and then using THAT IMEI for the provisioning process.

Read the OP carefully!

Jade Eyed Wolf

Nov 4, 2010
Arlington Virginia
They still throttle you after 3gb so what's the point

Not if you are provisioned for LTE they don't; they don't throttle you until 5 gigs instead. I have been consistently using more than 3 gigs a billing cycle ever since they started the throttling BS, and since provisioning for LTE, I have not run into any speed limits, even after 3 gigs of data.

Jade Eyed Wolf

Nov 4, 2010
Arlington Virginia
And I think that is hit or miss because I have a unlimited lte and I do get throttled after 3gb

Then you may want to double-check your SOC code from your online AT&T profile or by calling a service rep. It should be LTEDPPB (if you ask the service rep) or LTE UNL if you're checking the features on your online profile. If it isn't either of those then something went wrong with/changed in your account provisioning.

Edit: I noticed that your signature indicates you're using the AT&T branded GS3, which IS an LTE device, so you should have no issues with getting 5GB of un-throttled data. If you are, then you really should call AT&T and find out what's wrong or what's changed.

Remember, when you buy an AT&T subsidized device, you are completely giving up your freedom to retain the service plan YOU want. AT&T changes your plans based on the devices THEY sell to you, which means THEY have that extra bit of control. By buying unlocked, they can't track your device (as well), and you leverage certain freedoms for yourself. ALWAYS BUY UNLOCKED. It's just better...

Last edited:

bkeaver

First off thanks for the advice but never asked for it. As for my data plan I know 100% what plan I have and don't need schooled on it. As for my replies to the other person if you would have read his whole reasoning for LTE provisioning was for speed..

A

AndroidSlave

Last edited:

Beethoven9th

Dec 22, 2011
Data connection established, but no data sent/received

This is weird. My Note shows that it has established a mobile data connection (the little 'H+' icon is showing), but when I try to access Google Play, Google Maps, or check my e-mail, no data is actually coming through to my phone. I'm using the wap.cingular APN settings that are in the Post #1 of this thread.

I'm dumbfounded because everything was fine a few months ago. (I rarely use mobile data) Yet when I tried using mobile data yesterday for the first time in a long time, it didn't work at all. Thoughts?

allonon

Jul 1, 2006
I'm looking to finally put 4.04 on my Note. Is anyone seeing an advantage of any particular country release over another?

I think I'm running open germany GB currently

keplenk

Aug 27, 2008
Hey Guys,

I swapped my AT&T Galaxy Note with my Dad's unlocked N7000. I followed the guide carefully including Disabling Fast Dormancy (which actually helped alot).

I still have both phones and did some tests with HSPA+ - *there is NO LTE in this area where I live so I'm sure I'm on HSPA.

On the same exact location / same simcard:

AT&T i717 results:

11mbs down / 2mbs up / ping 120ms <<-- average of 3 tests

N7000 results:

3-4mbs down / 1.2mbs up / 210ms <<-- average of 3 tests

I've tried PTA, Phone, WAP .. all sorts of combination and it still fails.

I've also tried 5 different ROMS, including Stock. Nothing.

I would say 4mbs is good .. however, this is in my house (close to a tower, that is why I get 11mb down on i717 HSPA). If I go outside, holy batman .. it sucks so bad which never sucked with my i717.

I really don't want to return this to my dad :( It is wicked fast compared to the i717.

Please give me some advice!

Thanks

EDIT: Before someone asks, yes ... the icon on my N7000 shows HSPA+ - not 3G when conducting the test

Last edited:

Jade Eyed Wolf

Nov 4, 2010
Arlington Virginia
Hey Guys,

I swapped my AT&T Galaxy Note with my Dad's unlocked N7000. I followed the guide carefully including Disabling Fast Dormancy (which actually helped alot).

I still have both phones and did some tests with HSPA+ - *there is NO LTE in this area where I live so I'm sure I'm on HSPA.

On the same exact location / same simcard:

AT&T i717 results:

11mbs down / 2mbs up / ping 120ms <<-- average of 3 tests

N7000 results:

3-4mbs down / 1.2mbs up / 210ms <<-- average of 3 tests

I've tried PTA, Phone, WAP .. all sorts of combination and it still fails.

I've also tried 5 different ROMS, including Stock. Nothing.

I would say 4mbs is good .. however, this is in my house (close to a tower, that is why I get 11mb down on i717 HSPA). If I go outside, holy batman .. it sucks so bad which never sucked with my i717.

I really don't want to return this to my dad :( It is wicked fast compared to the i717.

Please give me some advice!

Thanks

EDIT: Before someone asks, yes ... the icon on my N7000 shows HSPA+ - not 3G when conducting the test

You might want to try different modem.bin's. Some work better than others for speed performance. Poke around the development section and see which one works best for you! ;)

LaGeek

Oct 19, 2007
You might want to try different modem.bin's. Some work better than others for speed performance. Poke around the development section and see which one works best for you! ;)

I have started getting horrible medianet speeds. No texts or anyting from ATT, just horrible speeds. I have had the usual wap.cingular APN, and am running RR v2, JB. Flashed the DDLR1 modem over the XXLS1, no go.

Is anyone else seeing this? Have tried different variations of the wap APN, still the same:( My speeds are 300k or less on upload, 100k on download, and 400ms ping. I used to get 2+Mbps download, ~500 upload and 120ms ping until not a long time before.

Any ideas how I can figure out what the issue is?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know I originally posted this in another thread as a response, but for the sake of making things easier to find for new folks coming here, I thought I'd consolidate your one-stop-shop for getting your unlocked, unbranded, Galaxy Note N7000 working properly on AT&T.

To get your Note fully functional, and running optimally on AT&T, it's not quite as simple as just popping your SIM card in and off you go...

The three basic things you need to do are as follows:
    1. Make sure you have the correct account provisioning.
    2. Configure and use the correct APN('s).
    3. Disable Fast Dormancy.*

*Some people have been reporting better device performance (speed and battery life) with Fast Dormancy left turned on. This appears to be geographically significant. Since there currently isn't a way to see whether or not AT&T is using this feature in your area, it may be worth trying your device for a day with the feature disabled, and comparing the performance to what it's like enabled. Go with whatever seems to work best for you in your area.

I'll cover these in more detail below, but first of all I need to clarify something: the Note supports 21mbit HSPA+, which if you want to call that 4G, OK fine. HSPA+ is an evolution of UMTS (a 3rd generation mobile technology) kinda like how EDGE is an evolution of GPRS (a 2nd generation mobile technology). LTE is a truly 4th generation mobile technology which is completely different from the previous generations from ground up. Even though HSPA+ is not truly a 4th generation technology like LTE, AT&T is still marketing it as "4G." Personally I try to avoid marketing catch-phrases like "3G" and "4G" altogether, so henceforth, and to avoid confusion, I shall refer to the Note's mobile connectivity by what it actually is: HSPA+

Now, before you're able to fully take advantage of HSPA+, you'll need to make sure that your account is properly provisioned for that feature, otherwise you'll run into a virtual speed limit which will keep your device from reaching its full speed potential. So, in order to check that you have the correct provisioning on your account, you should call in to customer service and make sure you're on a proper 4G plan. Ask them if you have the correct SOC code. In my case (grandfathered unlimited data user), my SOC code should be "LTEDPPB." If you're on a tiered plan, it'll be something else. Either way, you need to be on a 4G plan of some sort.

"Ok, how do I do that then?"

Easy. Go to you local store and get the IMEI from a similar Samsung device (from a connectivity standpoint anyway), like an Infuse 4G, or a Galaxy S2, or even AT&T's own Note. From the dialer, enter in *#06#, and the IMEI should show up. Make a note of that number (hehehe). You can probably find another IMEI on the internet, too, but either way you need that. When you call in to AT&T customer support, just tell the rep that you've upgraded your device to a *insert name of device from which you got the IMEI* that you bought on eBay or something, and you want to make sure that you're on the correct plan. Provide them that IMEI, and now your account should be provisioned for HSPA+ (YAY! WOO!).

<UPDATE> (for folks still on "unlimited" plans):
    Since AT&T has started throttling grandfathered "unlimited" data users, they have finally clarified at what threshold they would slow you down. If you're on an HSPA+ unlimited plan (SOC code HSDPPB), they will slow you down once you reach 3GB of data in a billing period. However, if you are provisioned for an LTE unlimited data plan (SOC code LTEDPPB), then they won't bother you until you hit 5GB instead of 3! You will still be able to connect to HSPA just fine. So if you want to take advantage of getting 5GB of unrestricted, un-throttled data instead of 3, then use the IMEI from an AT&T Note for the account provisioning process described above. Also, it should be noted that this only applies to people who are grandfathered into a $30/month smartphone data plan (or equivalent, such as iPhone unlimited, Blackberry unlimited, etc.); $15/month "feature phone" unlimited plans are not eligible for unlimited data if you want to upgrade to a proper 4G smartphone plan. However, the former should still be able retain their unlimited data if they stick to their current plan and use the wap.cingular APN settings below... at least until AT&T somehow figures out that you're using a smartphone...
    </UPDATE>

Now that that's out of the way, you need to configure your APN or APN's if you're using more than one (this only usually applies if you're grandfathered into an older plan). Go to Settings => Wireless and network => Mobile networks => Access Point Names. From here, tap the menu button and select "New APN."
    Populate the fields as follows (Case sensitive!):

Name: Doesn't matter, you can call this whatever you want.
    APN: Phone
    Proxy: <not set>
    Port: <not set>
    Username: <not set>
    Password: <not set>
    Server: <not set>
    MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
    MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
    MMS port: 80
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    Authentication type: <none set>
    APN type: internet

This next APN will only work if you are provisioned for LTE as described earlier:

APN: pta
    MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
    MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net

The APN info above is for achieving the highest possible speeds over HSPA+

The next APN generally offers slower data speeds, but depending on your area may not be any different in terms of speed after all. This is the old legacy Cingular APN. GoPhone users should use these settings.

APN: wap.cingular
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com

So now you have your APN's set up for data, now you need to set them up for MMS. This is easy; just duplicate the APN's above, but under APN type, set it to MMS. Of course, if you know which MMS proxy works for you, you can just set your APN type to internet + MMS.

<UPDATE>
    I have been seeing a lot of posts about people having trouble with MMS. If you're having MMS problems, first read the previous paragraph very carefully...
    Done?
    Good!
    Now you should have two identical APN's, with exception of the APN type being internet on one, and MMS on the other. If you are still having trouble sending and receiving MMS, try using the wap.cingular APN settings for your MMS APN instead, and set the APN type for that to MMS instead of internet. If you are already using the wap.cingular APN for data, then you can actually just use that APN for everything by setting it to internet + MMS under the APN type.
    </UPDATE>

Congratulations! You should have now successfully set up both your account and your APN's properly for making your Note fully functional on AT&T! You should now at the very least be able to get onto the internet and browse etc. Pat yourself on the back!

But wait! There's more!

You still have to disable a feature on your Note called Fast Dormancy. Fortunately, this is really quick and easy to do. But first, what the hell is that, and why do I have to disable it? Well without getting all technical, simply put, it's a feature which allows a device to very quickly switch from an idle data state to UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+ and back to idle again, and generally work more efficiently, thus improving performance, and saving battery life. Problem is, in order for this feature to work, BOTH the device and the network that device is on need to support it. Unfortunately, AT&T does not currently support Fast Dormancy. As a result, by having fast dormancy enabled on your device, it'll have the complete opposite effect than what it was intended to have. Basically, your battery life will suck more, data connections will be erratic, slow, and unreliable, and you're effectively wasting data overhead on a feature that, for AT&T, just doesn't exist. Disable it, and your Note will fly like it was intended.

To disable Fast Dormancy, from your dialer, enter in *#*#9900#*#*
    This should pull up your SysDump menu. There, close to the bottom it should indicate your current Fast Dormancy state, enabled by default. Select that option, and it should indicate that Fast Dormancy is disabled. Exit and enjoy! Reboot the phone for good measure though. You generally don't have to, but sometimes it irons out any issues that may arise.

Hope this all helps! Enjoy your Note on AT&T!!
    Thread stuck

Good information, thread stuck.
    Awesome! wish this was as easily available before.

Of note(no pun intended), I tried changing my wap.cingular APN to the suggested MMSC Proxy: mmsc.cingular.com and it broke my MMS. Mine only works with MMSC Proxy set to: wireless.cingular.com

Grandfathered Unlimited Data
    Thanks for this guide Jade Eyed Wolf.
    I have a question..
    Just got off the phone with 611 at$t and they said that my
    "provisioned" SOC code is HSSMT7....
    Now I am under the 2 gig plan @ HSPA+ 4g supposedly..
    On my icon on the Note and Atrix I do get the H+ with the arrows.. ABOUT 50% of the time..
    Then slips to 3G.. then back to H+..
    back and forth even within the same house or building..
    BUT mosttly... it's only 3g...
    Is there something I can do to make it more HSPA+ MOST of the time?
    thannk you

Something that you need to understand is that 3G, H, and H+ are all forms of indicating connection levels of UMTS. UMTS is completely different from traditional GSM in the sense that it is not a TDMA based technology, rather it is a flavour of CDMA, specifically WCDMA (the W stands for wideband).

So, HSPA, HSDPA, HSUPA, and HSPA+ all fall into the UMTS category of WCDMA.

Now, most modern devices are smart enough to know when to dynamically scale up (or down) their available technology based on the user's demand and network availability. So, for instance, when your device is in an idle state, and you're not doing something requiring data usage, such as using the browser, the device will scale back to basic UMTS (3G). When you do start doing something data intensive, like streaming music or video, or loading a web page, the device will then scale up to the highest available technology depending on the network's capabilities. So if you're in a cell where the tower supports HSPA+, your Note should scale up to HSPA+ then (H+). However, sometimes the tower may not support this, and hence your device will only scale up to HSDPA or HSUPA instead (H).

This is all normal.

Basically, don't think of your signal indicator as a way of knowing what kind of technology is available, rather think about it as a way of telling what technology your device is actually using, in real-time. :)
    I took my sim from my iPhone 4s with 4GB Enterprise + Tether...any thoughts? I get 3G/H+ on the data Icon...but I've been able to pull down 7mbps in Atlanta (College Park).

I recommend changing your account's SOC code only for the sake of consistency, and because of the fact that AT&T can see that you're no longer using an iPhone with a plan specifically designed for that device. Thus, they may either change your plan automatically anyway, or you may run into service issues. By calling in to customer support, you're just being proactive in this process, and possibly avoiding headache down the road.

Now, having said that, 7mbit down in the middle of an urban environment seems pretty normal to me actually. There are many factors to consider when it comes to the actual usable bandwidth you'll see, and it can vary quite a lot depending on those factors.

For instance, something to consider is the difference between connection speed, and user throughput. Lemme explain:

Connection speed simply indicates what the device is able to process in total at any given moment, including things like overhead. So, in other words, even though the Note has a maximum possible connection speed of 21mbit on the downlink, you're very unlikely to actually see 21mbit of usable bandwidth because that figure also accounts for the aforementioned overhead. Maybe, under the most ideal conditions, you could theoretically see a maximum of 18mbit of usable downlink (I'm just pulling this number out of thin air mind you) because the remaining 3mbit is reserved for things like protocol encapsulation, error correction, re-transmission attempts, etc.

Another thing to consider is the difference between signal strength versus signal quality; they aren't the same! You could have a very strong, but also very poor quality signal in the middle of a city, and still get lower performance than, say, a very weak but very high quality signal out in a sparse rural area.
    Being in an urban environment, you'll likely have many more buildings which create echo's and reflections, and also you'll likely have many other devices nearby which are all broadcasting signals of their own, thus creating signal interference. Those all reduce the signal quality. Error correction kicks in more often, re-transmission attempts rise, your data overhead goes up, and thus your usable bandwidth goes down.

Finally, for each cell tower, you are one out of possibly hundreds users all competing for the same connection. Imagine your home WiFi for a moment. Everyone connected to your WiFi in your home is sharing a single connection to the internet. Thus, there may be a noticeable dip in performance when someone starts playing an online game, or streaming a video, or downloading a really big file, etc. Each cell is kinda like that, but on a much larger scale. Basically, each cell has a limited amount of bandwidth it can use for providing service to the people connected to it. This is the network's backhaul. Some cells have more backhaul than others. Either way though, the more people connected to a particular cell, the less backhaul there is to go around. So, being in a city, where there are more users per cell than in a rural environment, the less backhaul there is for you to use.

So, the next time you decide to watch YouTube on your Note, take a moment to imagine all the extremely complex things that are happening in the background to make sure you enjoy your video! It is a truly wonder piece of technology that you're holding in the palm of your hand!

Hope this has been informative! :)