Bought new backplate, now NFC doesn't work

Search This thread

Drat333

Oct 31, 2012
Hey all,

A few months back (I procrastinated finding a solution to this issue), NFC was not working because one of the locking tabs on the backplate had broken off, and the NFC contacts on the backplate and the phone weren't coming into contact (confirmed by pushing real hard in that spot, which allowed NFC to work). I ordered a new backplate, and it fits perfect. However, the NFC still does not work, even though the contacts are clearly making contact. I don't know exactly why it isn't working, hopefully someone here can help. I do have an idea as to why it isn't working, though.

When ordering the backplate, I opted for the International Note II's backplate because I don't particularly like the AT&T logo on the back. Could be that I require different drivers for the new NFC chip?

If anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate it! If I missed any information I'll be glad to provide it.

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
Basic antenna...
The version of software is phone dependent....not cover dependent ...

Is the cover an OEM product ???

If not...I've seen covers with an antenna that never worked...because it wasn't a real one....(fake copy)...

If the cover is confirmed to be authentic...you should look at the rom you are using and confirm that NFC is present and functioning...

If the software looks good...then a reset of the rom may be needed to activate the drivers on boot....g

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Drat333

Oct 31, 2012
I bought it from Samsung on Amazon, so yes it's official. I've flashed several ROM's since I got the new back, so that's a no-go. Also, I can put on the old back and push hard on the spot where the contacts are and NFC works. Do you think getting NFC files from an International ROM would work?

Drat333

Oct 31, 2012
Update: decided to do a logcat

FROM BOOT:
E/NFC ( 2806): could not retrieve NFC service
I/NfcService( 3039): Starting NFC service
I/NFCJNI ( 3039): NFC Service: loading nxp JNI
I/NfceeAccess( 3039): read 3 signature(s) for NFCEE access
D/NfcService( 3039): NFC is on. Doing normal stuff
I/NfcService( 3039): Enabling NFC
D/NFCJNI ( 3039): Start Initialization
E/NFC-HCI ( 3039): Could not open /system/vendor/firmware/libpn544_fw.so
W/NFC ( 3039): Firmware image not available: this device might be running old NFC firmware!
D/NFCJNI ( 3039): NFC capabilities: HAL = 8150100, FW = b1011a, HW = 620003, Model = 11, HCI = 1, Full_FW = 1, Rev = 26, FW Update Info = 0

D/NFCJNI ( 3039): phLibNfc_SE_GetSecureElementList()
D/NFCJNI ( 3039):
D/NFCJNI ( 3039): > Number of Secure Element(s) : 1
D/NFCJNI ( 3039): phLibNfc_SE_GetSecureElementList(): SMX detected, handle=0xabcdef
D/NFCJNI ( 3039): phLibNfc_SE_SetMode() returned 0x000d[NFCSTATUS_PENDING]
I/NFCJNI ( 3039): NFC Initialized
D/NfcService( 3039): NFC-EE OFF
D/NfcService( 3039): NFC-C OFF
W/FeatureManager( 3729): isFeatureEnabled(NFC_HCE_PPMS) called before the first sync of ClientConfiguration.
D/NfcService( 3039): NFC-C ON
W/FeatureManager( 3729): isFeatureEnabled(NFC_HCE_PPMS) called before the first sync of ClientConfiguration.
D/NfcService( 3039): NFC-C OFF, disconnect

TURNING OFF NFC
I/NfcService( 3039): Disabling NFC
W/FeatureManager( 5630): isFeatureEnabled(NFC_HCE_PPMS) called before the first sync of ClientConfiguration.
D/NFCJNI ( 3039): Terminating client thread...
D/NFCJNI ( 3039): phLibNfc_Mgt_UnConfigureDriver() returned 0x0000[NFCSTATUS_SUCCESS]
W/FeatureManager( 5630): isFeatureEnabled(NFC_HCE_PPMS) called before the first sync of ClientConfiguration.

TURNING ON NFC
I/NfcService( 3039): Enabling NFC
D/NFCJNI ( 3039): Start Initialization
E/NFC-HCI ( 3039): Could not open /system/vendor/firmware/libpn544_fw.so
W/NFC ( 3039): Firmware image not available: this device might be running old NFC firmware!
D/NFCJNI ( 3039): NFC capabilities: HAL = 8150100, FW = b1011a, HW = 620003, Model = 11, HCI = 1, Full_FW = 1, Rev = 26, FW Update Info = 0

D/NFCJNI ( 3039): phLibNfc_SE_GetSecureElementList()
D/NFCJNI ( 3039):
D/NFCJNI ( 3039): > Number of Secure Element(s) : 1
D/NFCJNI ( 3039): phLibNfc_SE_GetSecureElementList(): SMX detected, handle=0xabcdef
D/NFCJNI ( 3039): phLibNfc_SE_SetMode() returned 0x000d[NFCSTATUS_PENDING]
I/NFCJNI ( 3039): NFC Initialized
D/NfcService( 3039): NFC-EE OFF

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
I bought it from Samsung on Amazon, so yes it's official. I've flashed several ROM's since I got the new back, so that's a no-go. Also, I can put on the old back and push hard on the spot where the contacts are and NFC works. Do you think getting NFC files from an International ROM would work?

I think that based on the above statement...you could try NFC Drivers from the international version...without much risk...

But I honestly don't think that the physical antenna changed between devices where different note 2 models were concerned...
Only the individual carrier specific files...

It's worth a shot...go for it....g

Drat333

Oct 31, 2012
That's what I thought, and I've been searching around for the drivers with no luck. Any idea where I could get them?

And thanks for your help!

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
That's what I thought, and I've been searching around for the drivers with no luck. Any idea where I could get them?

No...
I've searched for a reference. ..but there is little information on this. ...

I suggest that you pm one of our development people and see if they know where the files are located within the stock rom...
From there. ..The files could be pulled directly and placed into the system for testing. ..

I don't think a decompile would be needed. ..but I could be wrong. ..and the devs will have a more definitive answer. ...g

absinthesummer

Account currently disabled
May 16, 2012
Usa
meettomy.site

I really don't know if this will help, but I'm running a rom designed for the international version on my i317. The driver firmware identified in your logcat is libpn544_fw.so, which I pulled from my rom for you. You can try to push it, maybe, see if it works? If you need the entire contents of the fw folder, or any additional libs, I can probably pull those for you too, just let me know if you find out what you need. It should be compatible since the rom is for the international version and identifies my device as an international note 2. It shouldn't hurt to try.

See attached (not a flashable zip, just contains the fw.so!)

Attachments

• libpn544_fw.zip
    33.8 KB · Views: 29