[MOD][DEV][VIDEO] Debranding Rooted Rogers/AT&T One X (1.82 safe)[Updated 05.14.2012]

Search This thread

JSLEnterprises

Apr 26, 2011
Buenos Aires
Boom! You just the 1000 Thanks barrier :)

And thanks so much for your help too.

no problem. Also, did you do anything differently from the last time when you got your 'soft brick' ?

General Thread Comment:

I'll be adding a cleaned up build.prop to the zip file tonight as well, will post changes from stock once updated (Im testing the edits now through my use of the device during the day)

Last edited:

bongd

Jun 20, 2010
no problem. Also, did you do anything differently from the last time when you got your 'soft brick' ?

General Thread Comment:

I'll be adding a cleaned up build.prop to the zip file tonight as well, will post changes from stock once updated (Im testing the edits now through my use of the device during the day)

It's strange because I did nothing different at all. I'm thinking my device wasn't as "fixed" as I had thought. But it was only the boot.img and recovery.img from the Teg3 device that I flashed so I'm not sure why flashing the appropriate ones wouldn't help.

Going to go through the RUU method after work. Got errands to do until this evening and it's killing me to not be with my beloved One X!! :eek: :D

Mar 3, 2010
Montreal
Another Happy Customer

I just successfully rooted (after unlocking bootloader) my new pocket-top. It took two attempts with Paul's Superboot and I'm now a happy pup. Thank you all for the help and continuing support.
Now I'll be impatiently waiting for a CM9 or 10??? Where should I be looking for ROMs?
:):):):):):):):D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:

JSLEnterprises

Apr 26, 2011
Buenos Aires
I just successfully rooted (after unlocking bootloader) my new pocket-top. It took two attempts with Paul's Superboot and I'm now a happy pup. Thank you all for the help and continuing support.
Now I'll be impatiently waiting for a CM9 or 10??? Where should I be looking for ROMs?
:):):):):):):):D:D:D:D:D

well, we dont have a working recovery yet, and virtuous has an experimental rom which seems to just be 1.68 with some bloatware removed and enabling more languages (through the CID/default.xml)

I'm working on one based of the rogers img (and when AT&T users finally get root, i'll be adding a 'choice' to install specific files for each carrier.

Pirateghost

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 24, 2010
androidninjas.com
well, we dont have a working recovery yet, and virtuous has an experimental rom which seems to just be 1.68 with some bloatware removed and enabling more languages (through the CID/default.xml)

I'm working on one based of the rogers img (and when AT&T users finally get root, i'll be adding a 'choice' to install specific files for each carrier.

Let me know if you want some help scripting aroma installer for this. ;)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

JSLEnterprises

Apr 26, 2011
Buenos Aires
Let me know if you want some help scripting aroma installer for this. ;)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Will do. It's my intention to make two Roms, one fairy stock with only small improvements (like apm for example), similar to Er3bus, and one more heavily nodded.

I would ho.Walt like to make one geared towards power business users of the device if time permits.

.. delegated by Nigerian princes

ChongoDroid

Jul 29, 2010
Vancouver
Google Pixel 4
Google Pixel 4 XL
Thank you for the step by step, just wanted to clarify that the final wipe is to restore to stock or to clean out any final rogers leftovers

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

have you:
- Installed the htc drivers
- Booted the phone to bootloader and gone into the fastboot menu

when connected to the pc (with drivers installed), the phone will connect, and 'FASTBOOT' will read 'FASTBOOT USB'. It'll work then.

Remember: Unlocking your bootloader pretty much voids your warranty.

I just sent you a PM :)

JSLEnterprises

Apr 26, 2011
Buenos Aires
Thank you for the step by step, just wanted to clarify that the final wipe is to restore to stock or to clean out any final rogers leftovers

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

I just sent you a PM :)

the final wipe would remove all the remnant rogers customizing (bookmarks, 6 scene's - one being the 'Rogers' one; but you can rename it), etc... thats why you dont really have to do it. (it's very optional. lol)

Last edited:

cao0215

Sep 3, 2011
i m Downloading a file explorer and grant it root access , but i cant overwriting that 2 files, when i paste, it was said cant move

Last edited:

ChongoDroid

Jul 29, 2010
Vancouver
Google Pixel 4
Google Pixel 4 XL
the final wipe would remove all the remnant rogers customizing (bookmarks, 6 scene's - one being the 'Rogers' one; but you can rename it), etc... thats why you dont really have to do it. (it's very optional. lol)

Thanks a lot for the reply, but I already returned it to best buy. Got my new one and already rooted it :) can't wait to see development take off for this device

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

JSLEnterprises

Apr 26, 2011
Buenos Aires
UPDATED FILES
AND METHOD

Included a few more things, check "what included" for details.

those of you who already have done the debranding, just overwrite existing and hot reboot by holding down the power button for 10 seconds (5 flashes of the capasitive buttons)

ChongoDroid

Jul 29, 2010
Vancouver
Google Pixel 4
Google Pixel 4 XL
UPDATED FILES
AND METHOD

Included a few more things, check "what included" for details.

those of you who already have done the debranding, just overwrite existing and hot reboot by holding down the power button for 10 seconds (5 flashes of the capasitive buttons)

I just have a few questions.. in your instructions it says "the 'system' folder you extracted" but when I get extract the "files.zip" I'm getting a "build.prop" "customize" "etc" "lib"

Now I understand that those folders are usually inside /system so should I move those 4 files from the files.zip into /system and overwrite the originals? I'm using root explorer btw.

Thanks in advance for your patience, it's been a while since I've been without a recovery so I'm just a little nervous. :eek:

Reactions: JSLEnterprises

JSLEnterprises

Apr 26, 2011
Buenos Aires
I just have a few questions.. in your instructions it says "the 'system' folder you extracted" but when I get extract the "files.zip" I'm getting a "build.prop" "customize" "etc" "lib"

Now I understand that those folders are usually inside /system so should I move those 4 files from the files.zip into /system and overwrite the originals? I'm using root explorer btw.

Thanks in advance for your patience, it's been a while since I've been without a recovery so I'm just a little nervous. :eek:

lol, that could have been bad. Repacked and uploaded.
Thanks for pointing that out.

Reactions: ChongoDroid

ChongoDroid

Jul 29, 2010
Vancouver
Google Pixel 4
Google Pixel 4 XL
lol, that could have been bad. Repacked and uploaded.
Thanks for pointing that out.

Haha I knew something was a foot, I'll check it out now. Cheers and thanks again

Sent from my HTC One X

---------- Post added at 02:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 AM ----------

Well.. I moved the extracted "system" to / and held the power button until the flashing buttons stopped and it rebooted but now it's stuck on the recovery sign.. *sigh* is there a way to start a RUU on mac.. I think I'm gonna leave my phone stock next time until I can figure out wtf I'm doing wrong

JSLEnterprises

Apr 26, 2011
Buenos Aires
Haha I knew something was a foot, I'll check it out now. Cheers and thanks again

Sent from my HTC One X

---------- Post added at 02:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 AM ----------

Well.. I moved the extracted "system" to / and held the power button until the flashing buttons stopped and it rebooted but now it's stuck on the recovery sign.. *sigh* is there a way to start a RUU on mac.. I think I'm gonna leave my phone stock next time until I can figure out wtf I'm doing wrong

did you extract it directly to root?
It shouldnt be going into recovery.

And, in order to do it on a mac, you need to make a vm windows space.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [MOD][DEV][VIDEO] Debranding Rooted Rogers/AT&T One X (1.82 safe)[Updated 05.14.2012]

Now that you have root, you most likely want to de-brand your device... but since we don’t have any rom's yet or a flashing method available, you'll have to do things manually for the time being.
    FYI AT&T Users: This debranding will not remove all the tiny additions to framework that AT&T has made (like the AT&T 4G logo in your notification bar).

Notes:
    - Look at the changes to the added files, Note for yourself what the changes are instead of talking b.s. and complaining that you're having problems with 'this' or 'that' when 'this' or 'that' has nothing to do with the changes this mod makes.
    - Substitutions to the process are NOT acceptable and anyone not following the process to the Letter will not be helped if you are experiencing issues.
    - If you're a new user, please watch the following video.

DO NOT USE 'ROOT EXPLORER', USE ES FILE EXPLORER!
    Go into settings->power and uncheck 'fastboot' <-THIS IS IMPORTANT (It is like 'Hibernate' in Windows)
    Download es file explorer from the market and grant it root access and make /system/ mountable (done in the app's settings, two seperate settings - one for root, one for mountable / & /system/ )
    Extract the contents of the attached zip to the internal pc-usb mountable storage. (its a folder named 'system')
    Use file explorer cut to the 'system' folder you extracted and then paste into ' / ' overwriting existing files.
    Reboot your device
    Delete the items listed in the attached text found within their respective directories as dictated in the text.
    ***(You will get force close/error messages for the files you've just deleted, this is normal)***
    Reboot your device again and you'll be free of bloatware and branding.
    (OPTIONAL BUT HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) • Reset/Data Wipe your phone as shown in the video.

The Video is for those new to Android & Depicts the Rogers debranding, AT&T procedure is identical, files to remove are different.
    Please Note: 'Fastboot' is already turned off in the video
    I made the video late at night, and sorry about it being slightly out of focus.
    Also, correction, the /sdcard/ partition is what I ment by 'SD Card'

You now have a 'Vanilla' HTC One XL! :cool:
    (the real name of the device)

What’s included in the zip:
    (you can remove the media_profiles.xml from the files to copy over, if you want to leave the camera the way it is!)

• Up-to-date hosts file (Rogers & AT&T)
    • Edited WiFi config files for better wifi performance (Rogers & AT&T)
    • Edited media_profiles (Rogers & AT&T)
    - decrease the compression of images (95,80,70 is now 100,95,90)
    - increased max size for pictures by both camera's.
    - increased max frame rate of non-timelapse video's from 30 to 60 fps (so if more frames can be captured it will!)
    - increase duration of rear camera video recording from 30 to 60 minutes

• Cleaned up build.prop's (Rogers & AT&T, both are different)
    • Edited default.xml's removing branding and customizations (Rogers & AT&T)
    • Restores Missing system apps like Flashlight, FM Radio, MySkydrive (AT&T)
    • Increased MMS size's & removed the AT&T mail signature (AT&T)(Roger's one doesnt need this, wern't crippled to begin with)
    UPDATE:
    • Added more selectable languages
    • Changed build props a little (for uniformity).
    • Changed the included apps in the AT&T build to deodexed ones (like the ones I posted in the other thread)
    • Added the original VoiceDialer that was omitted (both versions)

(NOTE: FACTORY DATA RESET WILL WIPE YOUR DEVICE. YOU WILL NOT LOOSE ROOT)
    If you're stuck in a bootloop because you may have buggered the process because you thought doing multiple steps at once wont hurt..
    Here's a noob's guide to restoring your Rogers One X back to out of the box

Some users who decided to flash the Tegra 3 model's boot img / recovery img and then restoring the original ones
    from the rogers release have been reporting problems restoring from a signed OEM rom's zip.
    Updated with package for AT&T users.

procedure is the same, packages are different, and so are the xml's and build prop's within
    Some of you may be getting a soft-brick. If so then pm me and i'll help you through it.
    well do we even have a ported CWM recovery yet?

Why would you ask this question... have you been following the Paul's Root thread?
    (you're posting in it, unless you're just posting and not reading at all)

It's being working on. What I stated in this thread doesnt need CWM.