[Q] 8 questions

Search This thread
Jan 26, 2014
We all know that the SHIELD is meant to play. But there are some things i would like to know about.

1) Do i can use the same apps i use on tablets and smartphones? You know, social networks, office suites, google drive, MX Player, wikipedia and others? Will i need some kind of workaround?

2) Is it possible to connect a keyboards, mouses, USB sticks and USB HUBs through a OTG cable?

3) Does the streaming works with most Windows games or select games only? The games can only be streamed through WAN, right?

4) Is it possible to install APKs? I want it for testing the apps i am developing.

5) Does it feature a accelerometer for certain games (Like Infinite Flight) or some kind of way to emulate it?

6) Is it possible to play games that use MOGA controllers? (Asphalt 8, Block Story)

7) Is there some app i can use for stream the Xbox 360 to Shield?

8) How much i can play while not in charge?

Thank you.

Doodle210

Aug 28, 2013
1) Do i can use the same apps i use on tablets and smartphones? You know, social networks, office suites, google drive, MX Player, wikipedia and others?
They all work

2) Is it possible to connect a keyboards, mouses, USB sticks and USB HUBs through a OTG cable?
From what I've heard, yes.

3) Does the streaming works with most Windows games or select games only? The games can only be streamed through WAN, right?
Controller compatible only, unless you launch it through the Steam browser, functionality is not guaranteed. Yes, WLAN.

4) Is it possible to install APKs? I want it for testing the apps i am developing.
Yes, same as any Android device.

5) Does it feature a accelerometer for certain games (Like Infinite Flight) or some kind of way to emulate it?
?

6) Is it possible to play games that use MOGA controllers? (Asphalt 8, Block Story)
Yes, if the controller is not supported by default, you can download custom mapping made by users by long pressing the "start/play" button.

7) Is there some app i can use for stream the Xbox 360 to Shield?
I... I would think it's feasible... You would need a fast capture card, really fast,, like no delay, and a USB prog device for the system.

8) How much i can play while not in charge?
I've gone 5-6 hours running 3D intensive games and about 7-8 hours running regular apps with maybe some music.

Jan 26, 2014
?

Infinite flight requires you to tilt your devices to the sides and or upside down like you were actually controlling a airplane.
Also, Racing Games like Asphalt 8 makes you tilt your devices to the sides to turn the car.
Does NVIDIA Shield supports this kind of games? Is there someway i can emulate this through the keymapper?

Jan 26, 2014
Anyway. I still have more questions.

9) Does the Shield work with USB 3G/4G Modems? Can i use modems with SD card readers?

10) Do i can use Bluetooth/USB keyboard and mouse for using the OS (Navigation, youtube, facebook, others)? Do i need

11) Do can i use keymapper with external controllers (Like MOGA or Xbox 360)?

12) Is there some way i can charge the Shield while using a USB HUB? Is it worthful?

13) Is the screen good enough for reading/editing documents?

14) The HDMI cable must be mini or can it be normal HDMI?

15) What is the maximum SD Card storage size?

Doodle210

Aug 28, 2013
Anyway. I still have more questions.

9) Does the Shield work with USB 3G/4G Modems? Can i use modems with SD card readers?
It does work with my mom's 4g modem. I'd think so if it works for other Android devices... That's just wireless storage correct? If so, then yes.

10) Do i can use Bluetooth/USB keyboard and mouse for using the OS (Navigation, youtube, facebook, others)? Do i need
I've seen people connect a mouse to the Shield, never a keyboard... I never tried BT though but am certain it will work.

11) Do can i use keymapper with external controllers (Like MOGA or Xbox 360)?
You can connect those controllers, I think (not sure) you can use Nvidias settings to use external controllers.

12) Is there some way i can charge the Shield while using a USB HUB? Is it worthful?
Mine charges when I have my external USB port plugged in via USB and power connections, when the power is cut it won't charge, just sends and receives data.

13) Is the screen good enough for reading/editing documents?
I read PDF's and manga all the time on this thing, most of my college texts books I read of here. DO NOT BUY BOOKS FROM THE AMAZON MARKET PLACE (Kindle books)!!! MOST DO NOT WORK, sadly... Ended up spending $140 for some E-books and wasn't even able to get a refund.

14) The HDMI cable must be mini or can it be normal HDMI?
Mini-HDMI to HDMI/Composite

15) What is the maximum SD Card storage size?
64GB is the biggest MSD there is... Isn't it?_?

Infinite flight requires you to tilt your devices to the sides and or upside down like you were actually controlling a airplane.
Also, Racing Games like Asphalt 8 makes you tilt your devices to the sides to turn the car.
Does NVIDIA Shield supports this kind of games? Is there someway i can emulate this through the keymapper?

Yes, it works pretty good too.

p-giggles

May 13, 2014
Does the Shield support HTML5 Gampegad + DeviceOrientation + DeviceMotion APIs

Hi,

Can someone with a shield please tell me if gamepad api works on Chrome and FireFox, it would be kind of daft if it doesn't.

Could you also please check device orientation and device motion works ( I tried to add links, but it wouldn't let me sorry!!) their are websites for testing these easily found on Google

If these work then I'll get one, :)

Thanks

Solarenemy68

Jul 28, 2009
Dallas
Hi,

Can someone with a shield please tell me if gamepad api works on Chrome and FireFox, it would be kind of daft if it doesn't.

Could you also please check device orientation and device motion works ( I tried to add links, but it wouldn't let me sorry!!) their are websites for testing these easily found on Google

If these work then I'll get one, :)

Thanks

It's only 200 Dollars. If it is going to hurt you that bad to spend that amount of money then you don't really need one do you? If it turns out you don't like it you can turn around and sell it on ebay for near the original 200 you paid. The average selling price on ebay for new, near new is still 175 to 200 dollars. Used you can still get 150 to 175 dollars. So you really have nothing to loose by buying one.