[MOD] GPS Quick Fix - AGPS - NTP - Global

Search This thread

cawith

Apr 13, 2012
Just reflash you ROM? Or pull out the GPS.CNFG file from it and swap it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

before flashing it, pull the stock one...

I have already copied the original gps.conf to a safe location, but when I try to copy it back the task fails. In ES file manager the folder and file are RW? Is it because it is in use by the system? How do I overwrite it? (Sorry for the noob question)

mattcooper

Jul 23, 2012
Norwich
Tried this out and it seems great... Just wondering if there's any down side to this compared to stock?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

simon12

May 14, 2010
I have the same gps issues and hope this config may help. However I have NO IDEA what I am supposed to do to flash it. I have an unrooted N5. Will I be able to flash it on there and if so could someone please explain just what I need to do as I have never done this before.

Thanks.

alistairs1

Oct 23, 2012
I have the same gps issues and hope this config may help. However I have NO IDEA what I am supposed to do to flash it. I have an unrooted N5. Will I be able to flash it on there and if so could someone please explain just what I need to do as I have never done this before.

Thanks.

Per tcat007, GPS Status works just as well, you don't need root or to flash anything, just install from Play Store. I have used it on various phones including current Nexus 5 and it works great to fix and speed up GPS readings.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2

simon12

May 14, 2010
Tried that and all it did was show just how slowly the satellites were being acquired. It did nothing to actually improve anything though.

Please if someone can tell me if I can flash this without rooting and if so, how?

Kennii

Jun 30, 2009
Tried that and all it did was show just how slowly the satellites were being acquired. It did nothing to actually improve anything though.

Please if someone can tell me if I can flash this without rooting and if so, how?

GPS Test worked for me

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

simon12

May 14, 2010
Well, my N5 is currently telling me that I am about 50 miles from where I am. And it has been doing that since last night.

---------- Post added at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 AM ----------

So, is it possible to flash this onto my phone without rooting it? And how please?

t1.8matt

Jan 22, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA.
Well, my N5 is currently telling me that I am about 50 miles from where I am. And it has been doing that since last night.

---------- Post added at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 AM ----------

So, is it possible to flash this onto my phone without rooting it? And how please?

Don't think it's possible. Pretty sure you need root to access and modify your /system settings.

Reactions: simon12

paul c

Nov 15, 2006
Madrid
Looks like a great fix - would the zipfile in the first post work on my Nexus4?

What application can be used to edit the gpsconf file? I would like to set to Europe/Spain.

Thanks in advance!

albert_htc

Apr 5, 2010
Hi

I have issues with GPS location and orientation.
Often I'm shown further down the road facing in the wrong direction.

Will this help me ?
Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Realizing that many people are having GPS issues (not only hardware) on the N5 and partly due to this thread -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2523341 , I am posting here the GPS config file which should help alleviate most software issues while locking onto GPS Satellites.

It enables AGPS lock with a dirty threshold (much like iPhone) and then keeps improving your position to the nearest metre. So when you open a GPS app you are not in another continent but much nearer to actual location and then keeps getting better within seconds (especially with Open Sky visibility)

THIS IS NOT MY WORK. I HAVE BEEN USING THIS CONFIG SINCE LAST YEAR. DONE BY SOME PERSON HERE @ XDA

Method 1 - Flash attached file in recovery
    Method 2 - Extract the gps.conf from the zip and push to /system/etc. Reboot
    If someone needs it, I made a flashable zip file to revert gps.conf to original.
    But I haven't tested it myself.
    Wow, very nice. Huge improvement in locking onto satellites using GPS status. Thanks for sharing
    I installed through recovery. I notice the GPS.conf file is dated Aug 2008. Can't believe improvements haven't been made since then. I haven't been outdoors to test it yet, to cold. Won't lock at a window.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Don't think it's possible. Pretty sure you need root to access and modify your /system settings.