[How-to]Root Android 4.2.2 And Install CWM v6.0.2.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

vmancini3

Jan 26, 2013
Thank you very much for all of your help, but this procedure is not what I had a problem with... What I had a problem with was being able to detect my device while it was in fastboot mode! Whenever I booted up my Nexus into fastboot mode, the way it was installed in the device manager would change... After 2 hours of trying and trying and trying, the only way I was able to get it to work was to edit the file "android_winusb.inf" (for me i have it located in C:\Android\extras\Google\usb_driver\) and add the following lines to the end of the subsection "Google Nexus 7" in the section "Google.NTamd64"...

%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&4E44&MI_01
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D001

Note: Some people, like myself, may not need to add the first line as it was already there in my situation!

Once I did that, I then went into device manager, right-clicked on my device, chose update driver, and proceeded to update it using the old school "have disk" method. I pointed it to my edited .inf file, rebooted and voila, now when the nexus is in fastboot mode, it is still recognized by ADB! Of course, even though at this point I had already donated almost $5 for the Nexus toolkit, I issued all the commands myself through the command prompt and even flashed the SuperSu zip file using the sideload method simply because I just wanted to try that!

I would like to make it clear that I did find these instructions for editing the driver file here...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1809195

Also, let me see if I can put a screenshot on here....

Sent from my FINALLY ROOTED Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 871
Reactions: karetsos

krkeco

Feb 27, 2013
herpaderp

disregard that I lolcats (can't figure delete either >D) it just wasn't showing on the settings' apps page

Awesome thread, just got through with everything, but the App is missing. Any ideas? My device is wiped, everything ran as I imagine it should have *being my first root I have NO idea what it actually should have been like*

I recovered it twice to see if it was just a flook the first time, but the same thing (didn't) happen/ed the second time.

Last edited:

Naikymen

Dec 14, 2011
Flashing recovery img from Ubuntu

It wasn't obvious to me that it could be done so easily from ubuntu! Maybe it would be useful to add it to the fisrt post.
Steps, run these in a terminal:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-nexus7/ubuntu-nexus7-installer
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-nexus7-installer
(got the stuff from here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7/Installation)

And these, just in case:

sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb
sudo apt-get install android-tools-fastboot
sudo apt-get install android-tools-fsutils

Then after rebooting into fastboot mode, open a terminal in the folder that the recovery .img is in and run:

fastboot devices
(to check that the tablet is recognized and properly connected)

fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.2.3-grouper.img

Voila! Hope i'm not sharing something stupid, this is what i did perhaps there are some unnecessary steps =P

Last edited:
Reactions: marathone

stickplayer

Nov 6, 2009
Los Angeles
This failed for me on a brand new Nexus 7 (32gb, wi-fi only), where one attempts the fastboot. I get to the fastboot screen just fine, but the device is not being recognized by the Win computer. It IS recognized when the device is fully booted, but when the nexus is in fastboot mode, connecting makes Windows say the USB device is not recognized. Windows goes on to claim the device has "malfunctioned".

Device manager shows it as "Android Bootloader Interface", but with an exclamation mark, saying "this device cannot start".

If I let the device boot normally, it appears as "Android Composite ADB Interface", and it works fine.

So fastboot mode DOES NOT WORK, at least in this device. This is a brand new Nexus7, which has only been updated to 4.2.2 - nothing else has been done beyond basic setup (email address, wi fi).

I also have a Nexus 7 I bought 3 months ago.This one was successfully rooted without any problem with the Nexus 7 toolkit. I tried the fastboot mode on this on, and the Fastboot mode IS RECOGNIZED SUCCESSFULLY by Windows.

This suggests the problem is NOT my drivers, because if it were, neither Nexus 7 would work. The fact the new one fails, while the old one succeeds, implies something has changed in the latest versions of the Nexus that makes this not work? This new Nexus also fails in the Nexus 7 toolkit on every fastboot operation attempted.

I really don't know how to proceed. This Nexus arrived TODAY, brand new, and seems to work just fine, but cannot be used from ADB mode Fastboot - it simply isn't communicating, in that mode, in the way the Windows drivers expect.

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

On step 9 - loading clockwork touch - is there supposed to be any indication, either on the tablet or in the cmd window, that anything is happening? I've put in the command, and yes, hit enter. Nothing is changing in either place - nothing to tell me that anything at all happening.

rwilpstra

Jan 3, 2013
This suggests the problem is NOT my drivers, because if it were, neither Nexus 7 would work.

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

I recently had another N7 connected to my computer and I believe that it tried to automatically reinstall drivers... It's easy enough to go through device manager to manually install mtp/adb/fastboot drivers for another device as long as you have them downloaded... This is probably what you will need to do....

hamiksu

Jan 6, 2012
Wanted to ask..

If i were to root this.. and in some later date decide to go back to my stock,
is it possible for me to do so?

vitalemontea

Aug 21, 2010
Once I do the command and hit enter, I then go to recovery mode on my device but when i click it , it says no command

tech_

Mar 25, 2013
HELP!!

Here We have the Root And CWM for Nexus 7 On Android 4.2.2! :cool:

Step 1 - Download Android SDK from the Android Developers website and install with USB drivers. See: How to Set Up Android SDK (Fastboot / ADB) on Windows.

Step 2 - Enable USB Debugging mode in your Nexus 7 tablet.

Step 3 - Download Fastboot and extract it in android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory. Create directory if not already there.

NOTE: Skip Steps 1, 2, 3 if you already have them.

Step 4 - Download SuperSU v1.04 (UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.04.zip) and copy it to your sdcard on your Nexus 7 tablet.

Step 5 - Make sure you have backup your data as it will be removed. Then switch OFF your Nexus 7.

Step 6 - Download recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.2.3-grouper.img and copy/paste it in the android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory.

Step 7 - Now go into Fastboot Mode on Nexus 7. How? Press Volume Down + UP + Power key for a few seconds till you see some text on the screen.
Step 8 - Navigate to android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory and open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt).

Step 9 - Type in the following command and press Enter.

Step 10 - Once completed, choose RECOVERY MODE from the Fastboot menu and enter Recovery Mode.

Step 11 - Then scroll down to “flash zip from SD card” and press the Power button to select it.

Step 12 - Press the Power button again and select “choose zip from sdcard”.

Step 13 - Now using your volume keys, navigate to the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.04.zip file that you copied to your SD card and select it using the Power button. Confirm the installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should start now.

Step 14 - After the installation completes, go to “+++++Go Back” and reboot the phone by selecting “reboot system now” from the recovery menu. Then Choose yes flash recovery back (this will make CWM your permanent recovery mode)

That’s it. Your Nexus 7 is now rooted on Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 software version of Jelly Bean and even has a custom CWM recovery installed. Check for the SuperSU app in your apps list to verify. :D

Root and CWM for Nexus 4
Root and CWM for Nexus 10

I need help getting passed step 8

ucf15

Mar 7, 2011
To go back to stock, do I just flash a stock boot image and 'de-root' using the option provided by SuperSU?

Last edited:

fre1102

Apr 3, 2011
Can someone tell me what

"android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory"

is?

Is that c:/android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory? Something else?

Is it supposed to be "android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools" verbatim, or am I supposed to replace "windowsplatform" with "Win8" or something.

I'd like to get root back.

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

Entering this command just as it's typed above produces:

"'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file."

Removing the first three words, "fastboot flash recovery" returns a pop-up that says the disc image file is corrupted.

Is there an another way to do this? This tutorial is extremely poorly written.

Eve_brea

May 20, 2012
What's this about "backup your data" ? i don't understand. What data exactly?

Last edited:

Galaxysm

Sep 9, 2012
Mission
Thid method still working? I juet bought a nexus 7 ^.^

Sent From Land Of Ooo. Using a Jedi Mastered Note 2.

"Where you think she at when she ain't with you?"...

mpancorbo

Apr 16, 2013
It wasn't obvious to me that it could be done so easily from ubuntu!

Thanks for your contribution!

I'm new to Android, but I'm an experienced user of Linux systems. So, I appreciate your post because I didn't notice that the whole thread is about rooting Nexus 7... from Windows!!!! It is not mentioned at all.

But, because my condition of Android newbie I ask you for a more detailed explanation: which steps had to be made on the Ubuntu-box, an which of them on the tablet; when both devices must be USB-linked; and so on.

TIA!

pramodb

Apr 25, 2013
Can this method be used to root galaxy tab 2 10.1 p5100 android v4.2.2 updated using CyanogenMod:confused:

djgromit

Oct 13, 2009
I have rooted my Nexus 7 with Locked Bootloader,how can i install CWM? :confused:

I don't think you can. I think that you have to have the unlocked bootloader in order to flash ROM's, recoveries, kernels, etc...

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

Hi, vmancini3...

Forget about ADB when your tablet is in FASTBOOT/BOOTLOADER mode...

Here are the salient commands....

Code:
fastboot devices
- should return a serial number to confirm your FASTBOOT connection -

Code:
fastboot oem unlock
- will unlock the BOOTLOADER and will WIPE and FACTORY RESET THE DEVICE; unfortunate, but necessary :(.

I really don't understand why some people seem to have a problem with this procedure... it takes less time doing it, than actually describing how to do it.

Rgrds,
Ged.

If the OP could just include these steps in the directions, I think it would save some trouble. I didn't realize that I needed to unlock the bootloader until reading further (granted, I could have saved myself the trouble by reading the whole thread). For me, it was a minor inconvenience to realize that I'd have to set back up and redownload the recovery img.

You are correct that they are easy steps...I just didn't know I needed to do them, and it would be great if they were called out as a prerequisite.

I know you're not the OP, and have just very helpfully provided the steps to unlock, so THANKS!

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

Once I figured out that I needed to unlock the bootloader before starting any of these steps, it took me about 2 minutes, thanks so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Step 1 - Download Android SDK from the Android Developers website and install with USB drivers. See: How to Set Up Android SDK (Fastboot / ADB) on Windows.

Step 2 - Enable USB Debugging mode in your Nexus 7 tablet.

Step 3 - Download Fastboot and extract it in android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory. Create directory if not already there.

NOTE: Skip Steps 1, 2, 3 if you already have them.

Step 4 - Download SuperSU v1.04 (UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.04.zip) and copy it to your sdcard on your Nexus 7 tablet.

Step 5 - Make sure you have backup your data as it will be removed. Then switch OFF your Nexus 7.

Step 6 - Download recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.2.3-grouper.img and copy/paste it in the android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory.

Step 7 - Now go into Fastboot Mode on Nexus 7. How? Press Volume Down + UP + Power key for a few seconds till you see some text on the screen.
    Step 8 - Navigate to android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory and open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt).

Step 10 - Once completed, choose RECOVERY MODE from the Fastboot menu and enter Recovery Mode.

Step 11 - Then scroll down to “flash zip from SD card” and press the Power button to select it.

Step 12 - Press the Power button again and select “choose zip from sdcard”.

Step 13 - Now using your volume keys, navigate to the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.04.zip file that you copied to your SD card and select it using the Power button. Confirm the installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should start now.

Step 14 - After the installation completes, go to “+++++Go Back” and reboot the phone by selecting “reboot system now” from the recovery menu. Then Choose yes flash recovery back (this will make CWM your permanent recovery mode)

That’s it. Your Nexus 7 is now rooted on Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 software version of Jelly Bean and even has a custom CWM recovery installed. Check for the SuperSU app in your apps list to verify. :D

Root and CWM for Nexus 4
    Root and CWM for Nexus 10
    Ok, so I am running the 4.2.2 update, and after jumping through numerous hoops trying to have my device recognized by adb, I just want to make sure that my very first step should be to boot up in fastboot mode and then issue the following command...

"fastboot oem unlock"
    ???

Then I can go ahead and proceed to flashing the CWM recovery and flashing the SuperSU file...?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

EDIT: I've tried multiple times, but everytime I boot into "fastboot" mode, which I guess is another way for saying the bootloader, ADB loses its connection with my Nexus 7! Also, if it helps anyone to know, I'm running Win7 64-bit.....I'm not sure if that matters, but the first time I booted up into fastboot mode, my computer recognized it and installed it as an "Android Bootloader Interface" in the Device Manager! When the device boots up normally, ADB does recognize it again, and it also shows up differently in the Device Manager (Android Composite ADB Interface)! ANY help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I obviously can't issue commands to a device that ADB can't see when it's in fastboot mode!

Hi, vmancini3...

Forget about ADB when your tablet is in FASTBOOT/BOOTLOADER mode...

Here are the salient commands....

Code:
    fastboot devices
    - should return a serial number to confirm your FASTBOOT connection -

Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    - will unlock the BOOTLOADER and will WIPE and FACTORY RESET THE DEVICE; unfortunate, but necessary :(.

--------------------

With the BOOTLOADER unlocked, begin to set up your Nexus 7 again... as though it was a brand new, just purchased tablet... ie., country, regionalization, WiFi key... etc.

Go online with your Nexus 7 browser (Chrome), and download Chainfire's SU Updater .ZIP package from here...

http://download.chainfire.eu/310/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.04.zip

Upon completion of this download, shut down the tablet.

--------------------

Reboot again into FASTBOOT/BOOTLOADER mode... VOL down button + POWER ON button.

From your PC, run this command...

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

....where the recovery.img is your CWM or TWRP .img file.

Both of which are available here...

CWM - http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager

TWRP - http://www.teamw.in/project/twrp2/103

--------------------

Congratulations.... you've just FLASHED a CUSTOM RECOVERY!!!

--------------------

When the self-congratulatory round of self applause has died down:), ... and with the Nexus 7 still in FASTBOOT/ BOOTLOADER MODE, use the VOL buttons to navigate and the POWER button to select... reboot into RECOVERY.

Using the new CUSTOM RECOVERY, flash Chainfires SU updater package that you downloaded earlier... usually found in the /download folder...

Done.

Reboot.

Rooted.

--------------------

I really don't understand why some people seem to have a problem with this procedure... it takes less time doing it, than actually describing how to do it.

Rgrds,
    Ged.
    If you want to use fastboot by a easy way, use this guide ;) you don't need adb line command, just fastboot line command and it's an child game by this way ;)

If you have got a problem with your adb or fastboot or recovery....it's very simply and faster ;)
    use this:
    Download this file "Fastboot.zip"
    Install this file somewhere in one folder which is named "fastboot" on your PC
    => disk C: root
    Unzipped this file on the folder "fastboot" and you will find 3 files:
    - adb.exe
    - AdbWinApi.dll
    - fastboot.exe

and when you need to push something by the bootloader, you can use it.
    Don't forget to push on this folder the file that you need. For exemple: boot.img or a recovery.img, etc...

The line command is :
    Code:
    c:\fastboot>
    Enter
    Code:
    c:\fastboot>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    Enter
    If you want to flash the "recovery.img" file

If you want to flash a boot.img:
    Code:
    c:\fastboot>fastboot flash boot boot.img

If you want to know all lines of command
    Code:
    c:\fastboot>fastboot
    Code:
    usage: fastboot [ <option> ] <command>

commands:
      update <filename>                        reflash device from update.zip
      flashall                                 flash boot + recovery + system
      flash <partition> [ <filename> ]         write a file to a flash partition
      erase <partition>                        erase a flash partition
      getvar <variable>                        display a bootloader variable
      boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ]              download and boot kernel
      flash:raw boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ]    create bootimage and flash it
      devices                                  list all connected devices
      continue                                 continue with autoboot
      reboot                                   reboot device normally
      reboot-bootloader                        reboot device into bootloader
      help                                     show this help message

options:
      -w                                       erase userdata and cache
      -s <serial number>                       specify device serial number
      -p <product>                             specify product name
      -c <cmdline>                             override kernel commandline
      -i <vendor id>                           specify a custom USB vendor id
      -b <base_addr>                           specify a custom kernel base address
      -n <page size>                           specify the nand page size. default: 2048
    hello

I would put the cwm or TWRP to flash a rom, this procedure is still good or there is another? thank you .

You may wish to look elsewhere or start a new thread in Q and A... this thread is very old and largely abandoned.

Thread closed

Thanks