Charging overnight?

Search This thread

Fadeless

Mar 24, 2014
London
Would there be a problem with charging the Z2 overnight knowing that is will reach 100% before you wake up, lets say 2-4 hours before you wake up? I have not experienced any over heating with the phone yet but I am worried that it will happen while its charging overnight without me knowing.

I heard that the new batteries stop charging when they reach a 100% is this true?

Xernoxis

Jun 6, 2012
Akershus
Yes it will stop charging when it reaches 100%. It's been like that for a while, even my S3 got that.
Leaving it overnight will be no problem (Well should be no problem, I don't have the phone yet)

cedropol

Mar 16, 2013
90 or more % of people do this in that way. There is absolutely no risk. When 100% will be reached, charging will be stopped and phone will use battery power. Eventually after couple hours charger will refill battery ex from 99 to 100%.

Fadeless

Mar 24, 2014
London
Alright that's good to know. my phone is charging right now but its quite cold. Guess the over heating problem was in some devices only.

T

Tomcan

I thought the overheating problem only occured when recording in 4K. I haven't had any issues with heat except when recording long sessions.

Sent from my D6503

BoneXDA

Oct 9, 2012
You can leave it on and not worry about heat, but here's the thing: the phone obviously stops charging at 100%, but once it stopped, the phone starts discharging, then it recharges to 100% again, discharges, recharges and this goes on until you pull it off. So while you can safely leave it on cause nothing dangerous will happen to you or the phone, know that it will be in a charging loop which can't be good for the battery.

Ideal thing would be the phone stopping charging altogether at 100%, and not recharging until hitting like 95%. Right now, when it notices the tiniest drop, it will recharge.

Xernoxis

Jun 6, 2012
Akershus
I've done this with all my smartphones. My s3 have charged almost every night for two years. It still lasts a day. I don't think it harms charging it over night.

Sent fra min GT-I9300 via Tapatalk

Reactions: wilsonleiser

rickaysen

Apr 14, 2014
I have been recharging my phones overnight without one single issue since my first cell twenty years ago to present.

kartoonz

Apr 28, 2012
Psynation

Jiyeon90

Nov 8, 2012
I have been charging my Z1 overnight for 7 months now, battery is excellent today, just like when I bought it

Sent from my Xperia Z1

stunno

Dec 10, 2005
Just outside the Smog
I can quite believe that that expert knows what he is talking about, however, surely the person that has designed the battery charging circuit will be in the best position to understand the workings of the battery?

Why would they design something that is harmful to the battery in normal use?

Jackos

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 26, 2008
Warsaw
leidel.pl
OnePlus Open
I can quite believe that that expert knows what he is talking about, however, surely the person that has designed the battery charging circuit will be in the best position to understand the workings of the battery?

As an electrical engineer I'd like to point out that having the battery charged is the best you can do if you're using an lithium-ion battery. I read a lot of nonsense in the Internet regarding this matter. Only if you'd like to keep the battery unused for a long time it's good practice to keep it at ~50% (that's why the manufacturers do not charge the battery to 100% when it comes out of the factory).

But you don't have to believe me, it's your battery. Who cares? :p

Reactions: Publicglutton

Xernoxis

Jun 6, 2012
Akershus
As an electrical engineer I'd like to point out that having the battery charged is the best you can do if you're using an lithium-ion battery. I read a lot of nonsense in the Internet regarding this matter. Only if you'd like to keep the battery unused for a long time it's good practice to keep it at ~50% (that's why the manufacturers do not charge the battery to 100% when it comes out of the factory).

I thought they didn't charge it all the way to save energy. I mean how much energy does it take to charge millions of devices.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've done this with all my smartphones. My s3 have charged almost every night for two years. It still lasts a day. I don't think it harms charging it over night.

Sent fra min GT-I9300 via Tapatalk

But you don't have to believe me, it's your battery. Who cares? :p