/cache/recovery/command: open failed: EACCESS (permission denied) - after update

Search This thread

KraZbi

Apr 25, 2014
Hi everyone,

I already searched in the Internet an answer to my problem, but unfortunately I have not found a solution for my issue. I even wrote in this case on the official forum (groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/android-developers), Unfortunately, the moderators could not cope with this problem. Below I describe the problem, hoping that someone had a similar problem and knows the solution.

I made an application that works fine on Android 4.1, which is why I reject the problems associated with the lack of "something".
For now, it seems that in newer versions of android is a bug, because after updating to Android 4.3+ (API 18+) my app shows the message:
/cache/recovery/command: open failed: EACCESS (permission denied)

My application is an system application, so the file '*.apk' was put in directory '/system/app/'
together with a suitable file access permissions (chmod), so that the 'context.getApplicationInfo().flags & ApplicationInfo.FLAG_SYSTEM' is equal 1.

Because the application uses the method 'RecoverySystem.installPackage(...)' I added permissions:
Code:
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_CACHE_FILESYSTEM" />
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.REBOOT" />
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.DELETE_CACHE_FILES" />
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED" />

More than the required minimum, because among others my application uses the method 'RecoverySystem.verifyPackage(...)'
Also, this method had problems after updating to Android 4.3+, but these problems have been solved after adding one of (or all) permissions:
Code:
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE"/>
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" />
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" />
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.MOUNT_UNMOUNT_FILESYSTEMS" />

NOTE:
For testing I added to manifest file also all the possible permissions that are available, but this does not solve the problem.

Once again, I would like to emphasize that the application works correctly until an update to android 4.3+.
After the update there is an error with the message:
/cache/recovery/command: open failed: EACCESS (permission denied)

This error occurs when call the method 'RecoverySystem.installPackage(...)'.
('FileWriter command = new FileWriter(COMMAND_FILE);' where 'COMMAND_FILE' == '/cache/recovery/command')

I'm not sure, but I think that one of the possible reasons may be bug in the 'bootable/recovery/recovery.c', but I can not find any confirmation.

If anyone can help, I'd be grateful.

P.S. To avoid mess in the Internet, do not post with texts like "use Google", "already it was - I've seen it somewhere - but can not remember where", "I have the same problem / also not working for me", and other posts which do not help solve the problem.

Last edited:

Masrepus

Feb 12, 2013
Well i think the problem could be the higher se linux mode that denies the access, as this mode was changed from permissive to enforced at 4.2 or 4.3

---------------------------------
Phone : Nexus 4
Pure KitKat 4.4.2 stock, no root, no mods

4d 61 73 72 65 70 75 73 20 66 74 77

Gesendet von Tapatalk

Last edited:

KraZbi

Apr 25, 2014
Well i think the problem could be the higher se linux mode that denies the access, as this mode was changed from permissive to enforced at 4.2 or 4.3

Gesendet von Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply, it was also checked but changing the mode (permissive/enforced) didn't help

Masrepus

Feb 12, 2013
Hm ya that was the thing that immediately popped into my mind.. If i find something
else ill let you know

Gesendet von Tapatalk