Touchpad USB OTG Compatibility List

Search This thread

Ivie

Nov 29, 2012
Rohnert Park
As NathanNation mentioned, you can't just plug it in without the correct setup. See my info a few posts up for links and pictures that will help you out...HERE
Ya, as i said i have other devices working on it just fine. i have a y cable and it is powered. which is how i got a mouse and keyboard working. the only thing that doesnt work is this flash drive.

mpgrimm2

Nov 5, 2011
Greenville, SC
Ya, as i said i have other devices working on it just fine. i have a y cable and it is powered. which is how i got a mouse and keyboard working. the only thing that doesnt work is this flash drive.
Have you tried running it off a powered USB Hub yet?
The otg controller in the TP limits "directly" connected devices to 100ma, but devices after a Hub should be able to get the full 500ma USB 2.0 Limit set by the hub. ( Touchpad -> OTG adapter -> Powered Hub -> KB/Mouse/Hard Drive ). This may not be the issue, but if that particular Flash Drive is requesting more than 100ma from the usb port, then it will have to go through a hub. Have you tried a different flash drive (my 16gb Corsair Drive works fine after the hub).

Last edited:
Reactions: Ivie

Ivie

Nov 29, 2012
Rohnert Park
Have you tried running it off a powered USB Hub yet?
The otg controller in the TP limits "directly" connected devices to 100ma, but devices after a Hub should be able to get the full 500ma USB 2.0 Limit set by the hub. ( Touchpad -> OTG adapter -> Powered Hub -> KB/Mouse/Hard Drive ). This may not be the issue, but if that particular Flash Drive is requesting more than 100ma from the usb port, then it will have to go through a hub. Have you tried a different flash drive (my 16gb Corsair Drive works fine after the hub).

Great idea, i will look into this, don't have a hub but ill pick one up. dont have another flash drive to test but i can borrow one, thanks for you help man!

Reactions: mpgrimm2

Nathanation

Mar 22, 2011
Farnham
Milaq has now implemented OTG into the latest cm10.1 nightly. I will be testing tonight to see if it works and will report back here.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: mpgrimm2

Nathanation

Mar 22, 2011
Farnham
Well otg did work but not as it did on cm9. In cm9 I got a system notification saying "SD card detected" in cm10.1 I was able to read files from my external SD card but only when mounted by the app stickmount

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

lllGurulll

Mar 28, 2011
So basically, I need to buy the OTG cable AND a external power source just to attach a thumbdrive?

This is why it annoys me so much that some tablet makers refuse to put expandable storage via SDcard slot.

mpgrimm2

Nov 5, 2011
Greenville, SC
So basically, I need to buy the OTG cable AND a external power source just to attach a thumbdrive?

This is why it annoys me so much that some tablet makers refuse to put expandable storage via SDcard slot.
Agreed. With the correct OTG 'Y' Cable, you can use your TP's charger to run the OTG setup for low current devices (under 100ma, ie most Mice/Kb's & thumbdrives). If you need to plug in something that requires/requests more (like a HDD & some thumbdrives), you need to pass through a powered hub (some can be powered with an adapter via the USB wall charger). See prior post HERE.

shard76

Jun 3, 2010
OTG Kernal support

I am using CM 9-20130714 and trying to get OTG to work without any success.
Is there a specific kernal/rom i need to flash to get this to work?:confused:

mpgrimm2

Nov 5, 2011
Greenville, SC
I am using CM 9-20130714 and trying to get OTG to work without any success.
Is there a specific kernal/rom i need to flash to get this to work?:confused:
I can verify it works on CM9 20130714. You need to use the correct OTG adapter with an external power supply/charger. I have bought OTG adapters that were defective. Go back a page or two and I am sure you will see one of my posts with pictures of my setup as well as links to the correct hardware on ebay/amazon.

See post here.. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=40416348

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks to a recent video by reverendkjr on Youtube, we now have a confirmed USB OTG method for CM9.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc7tlPwFQpg

This has lots of potential and since I did not see much talk about it here, I decided to create a thread with what you need to buy listed in reverendkjr's video and what works. I would recommend only buying from Amazon Fulfilled sellers as they are backed by Amazon's return policy. All 3 items only cost a little over $10.

OTG Cable:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005QX7KYU

USB Y Cable:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041CFFBM

2AA Battery Powered Portable USB Power Supply:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003M9Z5F6

(Added September 7th)
    OTG Cable With Female MicroUSB (Allows you to use any microUSB charger as the power supply)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/130740524313?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

OTG Cable With Male Full Size USB (Allows you to use any power supply with regular USB port)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-USB-H...i9100-S3-i9300-i9220-i9250-XOOM-/140825132367

You can use whatever source of USB power you want including a wall charger, but I bought the 2AA battery powered supply above and can confirm it works.

Compatibility List:
    -Multiple USB devices will work if you use a USB hub. A non-powered one works fine for me since you will already have a separate power source.
    -USB keyboards and mice work fine including all basic functions like scroll wheel on the mouse, num and caps lock on the keyboard.
    -FAT32 formatted flash drives will mount by default under "/mnt/usbdisk".
    (Added September 7th)
    -If you want to mount NTFS drives or multiple flash drives, download Drive Mount. This software will mount drives under "/mnt/sda1", "/mnt/sdb1", etc. I can confirm it works for multiple drives and NTFS/FAT32. It was removed from Google Play so the apk has been posted. If anybody has had success with other NTFS mounting software please post your results.
    (Added April 6th)
    -I tried a Rosewill USB SATA/IDE externally powered hard drive reader and was able to mount a 400GB SATA 3.5" HDD using Drive Mount. Just to see what would happen I tried a SATA DVD drive but Android doesn't recognize it and probably doesn't even support the CD/DVD file system.
    (Added April 7th)
    -USB card readers will work, but I've had mixed results.

USB Device Info:
    If you want to diagnose items and see some info about what the Touchpad is detecting, download USB Device Info free from Google Play. Everything shows up under the Linux tab. This shows some useful info about devices including current draw, device identification, etc. I tested it with a USB hub and a few flash drives and it successfully showed entries for the hub and the flash drives. It wont tell you if Android has drivers for the device, but merely IDs the device(s) confirming the connection if working.
    (Added Dec 9th)
    A plugged in USB OTG adapter will show up as "Qualcomm On-Chip EHCI Host Controller" under the Linux tab regardless of whether or not power is present. This is a good way to see if you have a working OTG adapter.

Flash Drive Unmounting Issues:
    Flash drives are called an SD Card when mounted. There is no option to unmount a flash drive unless you use Drive Mount, so if you notice SD card removal error messages they are referring to your flash drive and not the Touchpad's internal memory partition that is mounted as /sdcard.
    When a flash drive is removed or powered off without being unmounted, its common to get a "android.process.media" force close, just tap OK.

Charging:
    You will not be able to charge via micro USB while using OTG even if your power source has enough current. You can charge via the Touchstone just fine. Knowing this, you can set up a really nice docking station by using the Touchstone as a stand/charger and then using the microUSB slot for peripherals like a USB keyboard and mouse connected to a hub with spare ports for flash drives, etc.

(Added September 7th)
    Insufficient Available Bus Power Fix:
    If you get this error, I haven't yet, some users have had success using this app posted on Rootzwiki.
    [INITIAL REVIEW] Juiced Systems 4-in-1

I'll be the guinea pig. I've ordered this one for a test.

Or for those that also have a phone with MHL:

http://www.amazon.com/Juiced-Systems-MHL-Adapter-MicroSDHC/dp/B008CQKM2U/

Has anyone tried these? They look similar to the Japanese device shown earlier on this thread.

I got mine and here are my initial impressions:

=== Initial Review of Juiced Systems ACA adapter ===
    I got this: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Multi-.../dp/B006MJZOMW

It is not a simple cable adapter but a USB OTG ACA (Accessory Charger Adapter) compliant device. Sadly it's designed for Galaxy Nexus Products and the full ACA compatibility doesn't appear to be implemented in hardware and/or software on the Touchpad with CM9.

1- It does function as OTG host port with the Micro usb, from a charger, powering the downstream devices. :good:
    2- OTG to devices on USB/microSD/SD interfaces works well :good: Only one at a time for memory volumes (FAT32). Not sure if that's a software shortcoming.
    3- Success with USB mice & keyboard devices including a USB wireless adapter for Logitec mouse/keyboard. :good:
    4- Haven't found an NTFS mount solution for Touchpad w/ CM9 nightly 0903. :confused: This may be due to my USB HDD (3TB-NTFS). NTFS Mounter was a no-go.
    5- It does connect to the Touchpad, but not with the HP folio case, or most cases, as it's a close fit. :( The MHL 5-in-1 has a short wired tail and would do better.
    6- The ACA charging of the touchpad while hosting, or otherwise, sadly doesn't work as it was reported to function on SG2. :crying:
    7- ACA indicator never lights up to signal either charging or host mode. :(

Initial Result:
    - At $20USD there are fewer cables, but full ACA charging doesn't work, which was my motivation to spend more. :p
    - OTG to devices on USB/microSD/SD interfaces works well, but only one at a time for memory volumes FAT32. :good:
    - The physical connection seems a little weak to me. I almost feel like it could break off damaging the adapter, or worst, the micro USB interface. :crying:

Further tests:
    - I want to check if the Wirless mouse/keyboard on USB can be used with a SD card in either slot.
    - I'd also like to test of external HUB with devices further downstream such as self powered HDD and seperate USB Mice, Keyboards (for deskside use).
    - Can anyone recommend a ICS compliant USB GPS & app?

Although this setup with: Touchpad, USB battery, Juice adapter, is simple and elegant, its pricy for features I'm not able to use (charging while host).
    I'm not impressed it will be rugged enough for field use.

On these two counts, it's a not recommended device for HP touchpad. :( If you have another phone that can utilize these ACA features, then I'd say get one for use with both.

Here is my recommended portable solution for the HP (agrees with OP) as it would appear HP Touchpad is not OTG-ACA compliant:
    - HP Touchpad
    - Battery soulution of choice (OP) <<< $4.25USD
    - OTG host cable & power Y combo (OP) <<< $6USD
    - USB memory / flash drive of choice
    (or other USB device that is ICS compatible with HP Touchpad)

My quest for charging the HP touchpad & downstream devices in host mode continues... :(

This YouTube indicates charging of HP & downstream devices during Host mode is posible with this homebrew cable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p10LgZFIawo
    Can anyone confirm this? :confused:
    4- Haven't found an NTFS mount solution for Touchpad w/ CM9 nightly 0903. :confused: This may be due to my USB HDD (3TB-NTFS). NTFS Mounter was a no-go.

I just uploaded the Drive Mount apk in the original post. This is what I have been using personally to mount computer HDDs with using a Rosewill IDE/SATA USB adapter.

My quest for charging the HP touchpad & downstream devices in host mode continues... :(

This YouTube indicates charging of HP & downstream devices during Host mode is posible with this homebrew cable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p10LgZFIawo
    Can anyone confirm this? :confused:

From my experience when OTG is activated that the Touchpad refuses to accept power via microUSB. I have tried setups where there was plenty of current available if the Touchpad wanted to charge by using the 2A Touchpad charger along with a USB mouse that only consumes 0.1A. If you use a Touchstone charger the Touchpad will charge from that while still allowing OTG to work via microUSB. If somebody can figure out a way around this please let us know how, but I am under the assumption that the +5v wire on the microUSB port is being internally switched when OTG is activated.