Best earphones with built-in microphone?

Search This thread

kjt57

Feb 29, 2008
Weston super Mare
Hi kjt57,

I'm in the same boat... does your MSVC work with the standard HTC headset? I had to tweak the registry to make it work. Now it needs a long press on the HTC headsetbutton to kick in. I thought that it should work with every 3,5mm headset. Can you please crosscheck with the original HTC?

I'd like to use the Ultimate Ears Metro.fi 200v or the Shure SE210 with MPA-3C adapter, but MSVC is a must. I couldn't find a local dealer who has this earphones for testing.

Cheers

chrissi
I have not tried the HTC headphones,as they were to big for my ears, will try when I get a chance. I tried the Ultimate Ears Metro Fi 150v, although they have a mike I could only get answer and end call to work not voice dial or MSVC ,so probably the 200v is the same. I have been told today that the Shure MPA-3C adapter will work with Microsoft Voice Control but he did not have the stock rom on his HD(post 15). I may order one and hope for the best. I have also gone for the Shure SE210.

chrissi323

Jan 7, 2009
I tried the Ultimate Ears Metro Fi 150v, although they have a mike I could only get answer and end call to work not voice dial or MSVC ,so probably the 200v is the same.

I had the same problem with the stock HTC headset. Try this:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=256742 post #3.

For me the path key didn't exist, so I created it. After the registryhack a long press on the button activates MSVC. Maybe this works for your Metro Fi 150v. If it does it would be nice to know :).

For the record, I use Duttys excellent 1.7 GER ROM.

Cheers

Chrissi

onesolo

Apr 18, 2006
Nexus 7 (2013)
Google Nexus 5
What are you guys talking?!?!?
I've already said, but I say it again... the best wired earphones with built-in microphone are the SENNHEISER MM50 for iphone, they actually work fine on the HD and are fully compatible with the HD. Voice dialling is also supported
If any doubts, what the original earphones from HTC that come with HD does, this one also does.

chrissi323

Jan 7, 2009
Hi onesolo,

calm down :)

Sennheiser MM50 for iphone, right now for only +-£32 on amazon.co.uk... killer price...

I can't see where you said that they work with MSVD and regarding the hassle I had to make MSVD work at all I feel better much better to know for sure that the headphones I'm going to buy will really work, 'cause I will shell some more EUR for decent inears.

I think I will buy the Shure MPA-3C and maybe go for the higher ranged Shures like the 410. Might be overkill for the Blackstone but I have some other devices with a 3,5mm jack :). Still have to find a local dealer where I can compare Shure, UE and maybe some others.

I agree with you that Sennheiser makes some of the finest headphones, but I never liked there inears.

Thanks for your input mate.

chrissi

root

Oct 10, 2006
Google Pixel 7
I was doing some search and i can only agree with onesolo... a tiny test:

http://www.headphoneinfo.com/content/Sennheiser-MM50-iP-Headphones-Review-547/Performance.htm

Surely sennheiser can be beat down by some other headset but not for its price. Just found one for £25. Btw, there are other reviews there (www.headphoneinfo.com) and well check them out...

I started with Shure but well... MM50 is at this moment way to go.

Sennheiser MM 50 iP - This match-up is not in the Shure SE420s favor. The MM 50 iP headphones have better audio quality and are a much better deal than the SE420s. The entire case for the SE420s hinges on isolation and leakage. As you're probably aware if you read this review so far, the SE420s have remarkable isolation and leakage control. If those factors are important to you, the SE420s win hands-down. In all other cases, however, we'd default to the MM 50 iPs

Last edited:

rhymeon

Jan 16, 2009
Which are the best earphones with built-in microphone for the blackstone?? Those who come with the Blackstone aren't that good...
I swear on the Sennheiser MM50 (as someone below mentioned too), try them and see they're awesome and cheaper than the Vmoda ones wich are very good too. If money 'aint a thing' then go vmoda but if you still want class and affordable quality GO Sennheiser MM50.. simple.

chrissi323

Jan 7, 2009
Hey kjt57,

have you checked if the original HTC-Headset works? Try the registry tweak that I linked in my other post.

Cheers

Chrissi

onesolo

Apr 18, 2006
Nexus 7 (2013)
Google Nexus 5
Hi onesolo,

calm down :)

I can't see where you said that they work with MSVD and regarding the hassle I had to make MSVD work at all I feel better much better to know for sure that the headphones I'm going to buy will really work, 'cause I will shell some more EUR for decent inears.
Why you have to use MSVD? the voice speed dial that come with HD doesn't work for you??

chrissi323

Jan 7, 2009
Hi Onesolo,

Why you have to use MSVD? the voice speed dial that come with HD doesn't work for you??

I have a German ROM which only has Cyberon Voice Command. MSVC can do much more. For example you don't have to learn voicetags. For MSVC it is enough to have a contact in your adressbook. Also MSVC announces incoming calls on the headset, it reads SMS, you can dial a generic number with your voice, control Windows Media Player etc.

Check it out here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/en-us/help/more/voice-command-tutorials.mspx

In short it's much more powerful because you can control much more. I bareley take my phone out of the pocket when I'm on the move because it's completly voice controlled even if the surounding is very noisy.

I ordered a Ultimate Ears Super.fi 4vi headset, I will report back if it works.

Chrissi

Roupette

Dec 28, 2008
Volume Control

Hello,

All of the earphones that you mentionned seem to be great, but none of them owns a volume control :confused:

Do you know an adapter, or a complete earphone set which has the volume control function + mic + answer button?

Thanks! ;)

onesolo

Apr 18, 2006
Nexus 7 (2013)
Google Nexus 5
Sennheiser MM50 Sucks. no bass
Lol, no bass? Blaming the earphones for it?? I think you got wrong with it. Of course the earphones can handle (a certain amount) and have bass.

Don't forget, when listen to music in TF3D that you have to turn on the bass, clicking on Menu and then on Audio Booster. There you can select the best profile for the type of sound that you want to get from your earphones...
That's probably why you are saying that MM50 don't have bass...

Step666

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 13, 2009
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Lol, no bass? Blaming the earphones for it?? I think you got wrong with it.

It could well be the 'phones - every different type has it's own sound signature and some are heavier on the lower end than others.
So it could well be that this particular user finds the bass on that particular model of Senns to be weaker than he/she prefers.

kjt57

Feb 29, 2008
Weston super Mare
Hey kjt57,

have you checked if the original HTC-Headset works? Try the registry tweak that I linked in my other post.

Cheers

Chrissi
Tried the HTC headphones, the only thing it does when you get a call is cut of the call when you press the button. Have not tried changing registry, never done it before, not sure how to change it. I think I will have to use my Sony bluetooth music headset, only problem with this is the battery life on headset and uses a lot of power from phone but will allow me to use voice control....

kjt57

Feb 29, 2008
Weston super Mare

kjt57

Feb 29, 2008
Weston super Mare
I don't know if this is any use to anyone but I just found this on eXpansys:It actually seems to be an official accessory, so hopefully that would mean that there's few-to-none in the way of compatibility issues.
I contacted HTC and this is their reply:

Dear Sir, This device will not do what you want it to. The device does have a microphone but it is only for calls. Thank you for contacting HTC Europe.

So this is no good for voice dialing. Oh well, back to the drawing board.........

Roupette

Dec 28, 2008
Hello,

All of the earphones that you mentionned seem to be great, but none of them owns a volume control :confused:

Do you know an adapter, or a complete earphone set which has the volume control function + mic + answer button?

Thanks! ;)

Up :) Always looking for complete earphone set which has the volume control function + mic + answer button... the perfect solution IMO :cool:

ClownShoes

Mar 23, 2008
London
www.indigorebel.com
Personally I use the Etymotic HF2 headphones. They're a bit more expensive, but if you like listening to music on your phone then they're worth every penny.

These are the reviews for the HF2s and MM50s on Trusted Review;

http://www.trustedreviews.com/mp3/review/2008/08/01/Etymotic-Research-hf2-iPhone-Stereo-Headset/p1

http://www.trustedreviews.com/mp3/review/2008/08/17/Sennheiser-MM-50-iP-Headset-For-iPhone/p1

I switched to Etymotic headphones some years ago and have never looked back :)

To the best of my knowledge, there are currently no headphones that enable start/stop, next/back, or volume control. This is not a limitation of the headphones as these functions are possible with the iphone. Rather a limitation of the HTC hardware. I believe this has been discussed in previous posts.

I'm not sure about MSVC as I don't use it, however my colleague does have it on his phone, so I will try testing it out later and let you know.