Search This thread

+ Que PPC

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 23, 2007
Guadalajara
es.youtube.com
Damn, guys i cant make it works.....

attached the provxml... Im out of ideas now

I already change the name of the provxml as TPC said check the registries.... and delete spaces betwen png files, of course i delete the spaces in images too.

Is there anything i need to run provxml on the device? maybe i dont have it.. or? maybe i need to set some attriutes to the file? or sign it?

I tried to import the provxml with advanced config 3.3 and it gaves me an error... maybe the provxml is wrong

is there any tool to transform the provxml into reg format?

Attachments

• mxipupdate_zzzicons_100.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

saurabh88

Dec 5, 2008
kapadwanj
Damn, guys i cant make it works.....

attached the provxml... Im out of ideas now

I already change the name of the provxml as TPC said check the registries.... and delete spaces betwen png files, of course i delete the spaces in images too.

Is there anything i need to run provxml on the device? maybe i dont have it.. or? maybe i need to set some attriutes to the file? or sign it?

I tried to import the provxml with advanced config 3.3 and it gaves me an error... maybe the provxml is wrong

is there any tool to transform the provxml into reg format?

may be txt editor can help..just rename file by using save as feature to .reg

twopumpchump

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Moderator
Aug 10, 2008
Kentucky
m-s-j.net
Google Pixel 6 Pro
give it a try now, i think i fixed the provxml and i also converted it to .reg in case it doesnt work you can just put the reg to run at end in your kitchen ;) use beyond compare and compare it to the one you uploaded, you will have to change the name of a couple .lnk "pictures & videos" you had that in 2 places and i dont think that symbol will work with xml.

Attachments

• mxipupdate_zzzicons_100.zip
    5.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

+ Que PPC

Mar 23, 2007
Guadalajara
es.youtube.com
Ok yeah i think it could be a problem the "&" symbol... lemme test the reg if it works i will use it in the icons EXT pkg ;)

Edit: Exactly!!! the symbol dont works even if the LNK has that name the icon is not set... the same issue is in clock & alarms lemme do some rename of that lnks and I will tell you how it works ;) Thansk a lot the REG works like a charm, didnt tried the provxml cause simply i dont trust them ;)

Thanks a lot TPC but tell me how you convert the provxml to REG? manually?

Last edited:

twopumpchump

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Moderator
Aug 10, 2008
Kentucky
m-s-j.net
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Ok yeah i think it could be a problem the "&" symbol... lemme test the reg if it works i will use it in the icons EXT pkg ;)

Edit: Exactly!!! the symbol dont works even if the LNK has that name the icon is not set... the same issue is in clock & alarms lemme do some rename of that lnks and I will tell you how it works ;) Thansk a lot the REG works like a charm, didnt tried the provxml cause simply i dont trust them ;)

Thanks a lot TPC but tell me how you convert the provxml to REG? manually?

no there are tools to convert reg2xml, xml2reg, reg2inf :) the easiest way to do your icon reg is to export it from your device and edit the pic names or change the pics and leave the original names and make a pkg to run at the end of your kitchen.

Attachments

• reg-xml_tools.zip
    37.2 KB · Views: 22

Laurentius26

Nov 22, 2005
Hi guys :)

Now that you talk about it, I like to move some icons too, but these are tuff ones and I don't like to hide them but use. :D

I've tried a provxml but it won't work, the shortcuts stay in the root but I realy want them on the new location LoL. :)

Anyone has and idea maybe which Manila file number to edit so I can redirect the path? :D;)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start\Office Mobile 2010\HTC_People.lnk]
"Icon"="\\Windows\\HTC_people.png"
"Rank"=dword:35A4EC46
"Name"="People"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start\Office Mobile 2010\HTC_Calendar.lnk]
"Icon"="\\Windows\\HTC_calendar.png"
"Rank"=dword:35A4EBF6
"Name"="HTC Calendar"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start\Multimedia\HTC_Music.lnk]
"Icon"="\\Windows\\HTC_music.png"
"Rank"=dword:35A4EBA6
"Name"="Music"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start\GPS\HTC_Footprints.lnk]
"Icon"="\\Windows\\HTC_footprint.png"
"Rank"=dword:35A4EB56
"Name"="Footprints"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start\Calls\HTC CallHistory.lnk]
"Icon"="\\Windows\\HTC_callhistory.png"
"Name"="Call History"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start\Internet\HTC_Twitter.lnk]
"Icon"="\\Windows\\HTC_twitter.png"
"Name"="Peep"

caliban2

Mar 9, 2009
hey guys

nice tut! :)
but i wanted to add something which took me 2 days to figure out, it's about the px-size of the icons. while 90x90px works for almost all icons, there's a special case if you're adding certain shortcuts as quicklinks on sense hometab.

some packages include .qtc-files (i.e. htc_music.qtc) which overrule the custom-icon in quicklinks (in startmenu everything is fine). now you can either leave qtc-files out during cooking or replace them with 0byte-files.

but:
if the new icons are 90x90px, they won't show as a quicklink, just a white square. if they are 128x128, they show up.
affected are only some htc-icons (music, people, youtube,...), whereas some others work even with 90x90 and qtc-file removed (opera, adobe,...) - don't ask me why. ^^

again, this is about quicklinks on hometab, not about startmenu.
i hope the above makes sense... :eek:

ai6908

Nov 13, 2006
Land of Lincoln
Hi guys :)

Now that you talk about it, I like to move some icons too, but these are tuff ones and I don't like to hide them but use. :D

I've tried a provxml but it won't work, the shortcuts stay in the root but I realy want them on the new location LoL. :)

Anyone has and idea maybe which Manila file number to edit so I can redirect the path? :D;)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start\Office Mobile 2010\HTC_People.lnk]
"Icon"="\\Windows\\HTC_people.png"
"Rank"=dword:35A4EC46
"Name"="People"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start\Office Mobile 2010\HTC_Calendar.lnk]
"Icon"="\\Windows\\HTC_calendar.png"
"Rank"=dword:35A4EBF6
"Name"="HTC Calendar"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start\Multimedia\HTC_Music.lnk]
"Icon"="\\Windows\\HTC_music.png"
"Rank"=dword:35A4EBA6
"Name"="Music"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start\GPS\HTC_Footprints.lnk]
"Icon"="\\Windows\\HTC_footprint.png"
"Rank"=dword:35A4EB56
"Name"="Footprints"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start\Calls\HTC CallHistory.lnk]
"Icon"="\\Windows\\HTC_callhistory.png"
"Name"="Call History"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start\Internet\HTC_Twitter.lnk]
"Icon"="\\Windows\\HTC_twitter.png"
"Name"="Peep"

maybe you can use a startup script to move those files.

+ Que PPC

Mar 23, 2007
Guadalajara
es.youtube.com
i wanna clean the god damn programfiles folder... but i guess all the custom apps will chenge in start menu lnks

so i started changing things...

opening a lnk i saw this

27#"\Windows\HTCFootprint.exe"

27# what is that for?

twisted

Mar 20, 2006
Sharjah, UAE
i wanna clean the god damn programfiles folder... but i guess all the custom apps will chenge in start menu lnks

opening a lnk i saw this

27# what is that for?
hi,
i think its the number of characters of your link including the "" (quotes) and space (if there is any)
"\Windows\HTCFootprint.exe" = 27 characters
the # sign is just a delimeter
but i may be wrong.
you can checkout this thread for more info.

edit: creating-shortcuts-in-windows-mobile-smartphone
How the shortcut works?
In Windows CE (so Windows Mobile) the shortcut file is very simple plain text file. If you open some *.lnk file in notepad, you will see something like this:
Code:
42#"\Program Files\Total Commander\cecmd.exe"
The number 42 is of course Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything. But in this case it is the length of the command placed in shortcut. So that Program Files\Total Commander\cecmd.exe without the quotes. The quotes are neccesary when the path contains spaces. Don't think that you can put qoutes everywhere. If the path has no spaces than put no quotes. Like in this example:
Code:
18#\Windows\notes.exe
The # sign is just the delimiter. In cases you want to pass some arguments to the exacutable, you can add it right after the path. Don't forget to add length of the parameters to begining number. Following examples shows executing with parameters. First one executes Total Commander and pass \Windows as the parametr. Second one executes autoprof and pass two parameters. Quotes are NOT count to the length.
Code:
51#"\Program Files\Total Commander\cecmd.exe" \Windows
27#\Windows\autoprof -s Silent

regards,
mike :D

Farmer Ted

Nov 30, 2008

opening a lnk i saw this

27# what is that for?

Yeah, what twisted said, but you don't really need to count bytes. I guess it's 'good form' or whatever to lead off with the right number of bytes after the '#," but you can just put a 1 there and it doesn't cause any problems. I use sk shortcut manager, and a lot of times that's what it does.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hey guys

nice tut! :)
    but i wanted to add something which took me 2 days to figure out, it's about the px-size of the icons. while 90x90px works for almost all icons, there's a special case if you're adding certain shortcuts as quicklinks on sense hometab.

some packages include .qtc-files (i.e. htc_music.qtc) which overrule the custom-icon in quicklinks (in startmenu everything is fine). now you can either leave qtc-files out during cooking or replace them with 0byte-files.

but:
    if the new icons are 90x90px, they won't show as a quicklink, just a white square. if they are 128x128, they show up.
    affected are only some htc-icons (music, people, youtube,...), whereas some others work even with 90x90 and qtc-file removed (opera, adobe,...) - don't ask me why. ^^

again, this is about quicklinks on hometab, not about startmenu.
    i hope the above makes sense... :eek:
    How to Customize Icons and Folders for Chefs, By Bikeandestroyx.

First off find new icons you like, there are a bunch at
    Code:
     [url]www.iconarchive.com[/url], [url]http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=516848[/url], and [url]http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=533993[/url].
    If you are making your own, all icons show up as 90x90 for 192 DPI, 60x60 for 128 DPI, and 45x45 for 96 DPI. The best format is .png, i have never tried it with any other, so i cant promise it will work.

For changing icons, you need to change one registry setting per icon. Located in
    Code:
     [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start].
    As an example i will change the icon for youtube located in the root of the start menu, and teeter located in the games folder.
    Take the .png and call it something easy, yet unique so it wont get overwritten or have any duplicates. I called the youtube icon, youtube1.png, the teeter icon teeter1.png and placed them in their own EXT if your using visual kitchen, or OEM if your using buildos [old style kitchen], see attached.
    Open up your new app.reg [visual kitchen] or .rgu [buildos], then add
    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start\ YouTube.lnk]
    "Icon"="\\Windows\\youtube1.png"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start\ Games\Teeter.lnk]
    "Icon"="\\Windows\\Teeter1.png"
    When adding your own icons, make sure the xxx.lnk matches the name of the icon in your start menu, or this will not work!

You can find most of the windows default app icons in:
    Code:
    Base_DPI_192 located in the Sys folder

Also there are a few provxml files in the sys that will create the icon links in the root of the start menu automatically. This should be all of them:
    Code:
    mxipcold_marketplace_100.provxml
    mxip_MyPhone_100.provxml
    mxipupdate_alarms_1.provxml
    mxipupdate_mstag_1.provxml
    mxipupdate_taskmgr_shell_1.provxml
    mxipupdate_windowslive_1.provxml
    mxipupdate_windowsliveim_1.provxml

Settings icons are a little more difficult. They are located in:
    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start\Settings]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start\Settings\System]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start\Settings\Personal]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start\Settings\Connections]
    Changing the icons is the exact same process
    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start\Settings\App Name]
    "Icon"="\\Windows\\App Icon.png"
    The thing that makes it harder is that the settings apps are set up through cpl file(s). You can figure out what is what usually by looking at the icon name, but not always.
    Example:
    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start\Settings\cplmain.cpl,23]

"Icon"="\\Windows\\Start_Icon_Bluetooth.png"
    Is the bluetooth icon, but you would not be able to tell by the name.
    Easiest way to do this is export
    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start\Settings]
    And use it as a guide to settings icons.

To create a folder, go to initflashfiles.dat and add a line like this:
    Code:
    Directory("\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"):-Directory("Folder Name")

Then changing a folder icon is just as easy as changing any other icon:
    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start\Folder Name]
      "Icon"="\\Windows\\folder_icon.png"

To change what folder icons are placed in, you need to locate the app.dat (VK) or the initflashfiles.txt (Old Style). (See attached OEM and EXT for an example) In it you will find a line like this:
    Code:
    Directory("\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"):-File("App Link.lnk","\Windows\Original App link.lnk")
    If you wanted to move This program link, to a subdirectory of your start menu, you would add the subdirectory folder name after programs.

For ex. move to system tools folder in your start menu:
    Code:
    Directory("\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools"):-File("App Link.lnk","\Windows\Original App link.lnk")
    Also make sure the path is \Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools, if you have it as \Windows\Start Menu\System Tools, it will create a duplicate folder In your start menu.

You can also rename links in the start menu this way, you just need to change "App Link.lnk" to "New Name.lnk". Do not touch the "\Windows\Original App link.lnk", that is just there to point to the original link location.

Heres a few tools to help you export reg settings :)
    Code:
    [URL="http://www.dotfred.net/TaskMgr.htm"]Dotfred's taskmanage[/URL]r has a built in reg editor that allows you to export certain registry or all. Recently updated to 3.3 with some nicer UI changes!

If i remember correctly so does total commander.

[URL="http://ceregeditor.mdsoft.pl/"]Ceregeditor[/URL] allows you to edit and backup registry from your pc via activsync connection!
    hi,
    im noob,having elfin trying to cook my rom with the os kitchen.i want to have the default icons present in the newer builds in the cooked rom not my own icons,but the icon of original 6.1 appear,so to have the default icons of newer builds what i must change ??
    plz advice,

You want the old-style icons? That's pretty easy. Open up Base_DPI_96 (or whatever the resolution is) and delete all of the Start_Icon_xxx.png files. It saves ram and memory. I do this, although I use os builder and I have it set up so that the files are excluded from my builds, and so I don't have to manually remove the icon files. You'll also want to delete this provxml: mxipinit_startmenu_001.provxml. It has all the reg keys for loading the icons. I personally like the look of the older, native icons that are included in the .exe's and .cpl's. I stopped using the 6.5 start menu a while ago, anyway, so all that stuff is just useless crap anyway.

I don't know if os kitchen has an exclude list, but here's a full list of the sys icons:

File12=Start_Icon_About.png
    File13=Start_Icon_Alarms.png
    File14=Start_Icon_Async.png
    File15=Start_Icon_Backlight.png
    File16=Start_Icon_Beam.png
    File17=Start_Icon_Bluetooth.png
    File18=Start_Icon_Bubble.png
    File19=Start_Icon_Buttons.png
    File20=Start_Icon_Calc.png
    File21=Start_Icon_Calendar.png
    File22=Start_Icon_Camera.png
    File23=Start_Icon_Certificates.png
    File24=Start_Icon_Clock.png
    File25=Start_Icon_Connections.png
    File26=Start_Icon_Contacts.png
    File27=Start_Icon_Contrast.png
    File28=Start_Icon_DEnroll.png
    File29=Start_Icon_Encryption.png
    File30=Start_Icon_Excel.png
    File31=Start_Icon_Feedback.png
    File32=Start_Icon_FileExp.png
    File33=Start_Icon_Games.png
    File34=Start_Icon_GPS.png
    File35=Start_Icon_Help.png
    File36=Start_Icon_IE.png
    File37=Start_Icon_Input.png
    File38=Start_Icon_IS.png
    File39=Start_Icon_Lock.png
    File40=Start_Icon_Managed.png
    File41=Start_Icon_Marketplace.png
    File42=Start_Icon_Memory.png
    File43=Start_Icon_Messenger.png
    File44=Start_Icon_MLink.png
    File45=Start_Icon_Msg.png
    File46=Start_Icon_MyPhone.png
    File47=Start_Icon_Notes.png
    File48=Start_Icon_Office.png
    File49=Start_Icon_OneNote.png
    File50=Start_Icon_Owner.png
    File51=Start_Icon_PCCon.png
    File52=Start_Icon_Phone.png
    File53=Start_Icon_PhoneSet.png
    File54=Start_Icon_Photos.png
    File55=Start_Icon_Power.png
    File56=Start_Icon_PowerPoint.png
    File57=Start_Icon_Regional.png
    File58=Start_Icon_RemoveProg.png
    File59=Start_Icon_Screen.png
    File60=Start_Icon_Search.png
    File61=Start_Icon_Settings.png
    File62=Start_Icon_SettingsC.png
    File63=Start_Icon_SettingsP.png
    File64=Start_Icon_SettingsS.png
    File65=Start_Icon_SMS.png
    File66=Start_Icon_Solitaire.png
    File67=Start_Icon_Sounds.png
    File68=Start_Icon_TaskMgr.png
    File69=Start_Icon_Tasks.png
    File70=Start_Icon_Today.png
    File71=Start_Icon_TodaySet.png
    File72=Start_Icon_VoiceCmd.png
    File73=Start_Icon_Watson.png
    File74=Start_Icon_Welcome.png
    File75=Start_Icon_Wifi.png
    File76=Start_Icon_WinLive.png
    File77=Start_Icon_WirelessMgr.png
    File78=Start_Icon_WMP.png
    File79=Start_Icon_Word.png
    File80=Start_Icon_WPCTSC.png

And here's the useless wallpapers:

File8=Grass.jpg
    File9=Leaf.jpg
    File10=Spring.jpg
    File11=Water.jpg
    well,let me explain i have elfin with 6.1 as stock Rom i want to build a rom with Sys say 23138 with porting Mega ext packages,so when i build cooked Rom ,i get the default start menu icons present in 23138 build rt?for the messaging i want Start_icon_SMS icon instead im getting start_icon_messaging icon so how to change to sms icon.??
    Than the power.exe of mega willnt work on my elfin so i use power.exe,powerwarningoff.exe &HTC Util packaging of stock rom ,here im not getting any icon for power,so here i want Star_icon _power.png how to go about for that???
    Lastly i want to remove Star_icon_managed.png from system folder .how to do it?help me.
    thanks

Read the first post of this thread, and then follow the instructions. It's very easy. Or, get SK Shortcut manager and use it to set the icons.