[GUIDE] Basic Tips to avoid Bricking your phone

Search This thread

schopda

Apr 10, 2014
Bricked Desire S, S-ON- unable to boot past HTC logo

I am facing problem of Bricked Desire S, S-ON- unable to boot past HTC logo

Tried many options
- Nothing happen on recovery or manufacturing reset mode (hangs)
- Tried service center - but no luck (purchased this phone in UK and currently I am in India)
- Tried Rom.zip through SD card - no change (ROM: file=Saga/RUU_Saga_HTC_Europe_1.28.401.1_Radio_20.28b.30.0805U_38.03.02.11_M_release_177977_signed.exe)
- Tried ADB command - no response
- tried fastboot flash zip rom.zip - gives error :
INFOsignature checking...
FAILED (remote: not allowed)

Details of phone:

D:\Driver\Android>fastboot getvar all
INFOversion: 0.5
INFOversion-bootloader: 0.98.0000
INFOversion-baseband: 38.03.02.11_M
INFOversion-cpld: None
INFOversion-microp: None
INFOversion-main: 1.28.401.1
INFOserialno: HT13LTJ10835
INFOproduct: saga
INFOplatform: HBOOT-7230
INFOmodelid: PG8810000
INFOcidnum: HTC__001
INFObattery-status: good
INFObattery-voltage: 4189mV
INFOpartition-layout: Generic
INFOsecurity: on
INFObuild-mode: SHIP
INFOboot-mode: FASTBOOT
INFOcommitno-bootloader: 361a7ba6
INFOhbootpreupdate: 12
INFOgencheckpt: 0
all: Done!

D:\Driver\Android>fastboot devices
HT13LTJ10835 fastboot

Plz help

Last edited:

jmcclue

Apr 3, 2012
I am facing problem of Bricked Desire S, S-ON- unable to boot past HTC logo

Tried many options
- Nothing happen on recovery or manufacturing reset mode (hangs)
- Tried service center - but no luck (purchased this phone in UK and currently I am in India)
- Tried Rom.zip through SD card - no change (ROM: file=Saga/RUU_Saga_HTC_Europe_1.28.401.1_Radio_20.28b.30.0805U_38.03.02.11_M_release_177977_signed.exe)
- Tried ADB command - no response
- tried fastboot flash zip rom.zip - gives error :
INFOsignature checking...
FAILED (remote: not allowed)

Details of phone:

D:\Driver\Android>fastboot getvar all
INFOversion: 0.5
INFOversion-bootloader: 0.98.0000
INFOversion-baseband: 38.03.02.11_M
INFOversion-cpld: None
INFOversion-microp: None
INFOversion-main: 1.28.401.1
INFOserialno: HT13LTJ10835
INFOimei: 355067041547118
INFOproduct: saga
INFOplatform: HBOOT-7230
INFOmodelid: PG8810000
INFOcidnum: HTC__001
INFObattery-status: good
INFObattery-voltage: 4189mV
INFOpartition-layout: Generic
INFOsecurity: on
INFObuild-mode: SHIP
INFOboot-mode: FASTBOOT
INFOcommitno-bootloader: 361a7ba6
INFOhbootpreupdate: 12
INFOgencheckpt: 0
all: Done!

D:\Driver\Android>fastboot devices
HT13LTJ10835 fastboot

Plz help

And did u rename rom.zip to PG88IMG.zip? Then put it on the root of ur sdcard then boot into bootloader? Did u try just to run the ruu.exe file from computer? Should work either way.

Reactions: schopda

schopda

Apr 10, 2014
And did u rename rom.zip to PG88IMG.zip? Then put it on the root of ur sdcard then boot into bootloader? Did u try just to run the ruu.exe file from computer? Should work either way.

Thanks for reply

Yes its renamed as PG88IMG.zip and its on the root (not under any file/ directory). Nothing happens when I boot in bootloader, I tried option of REBOOT BOOTLOADER under FASTBOOT where it just hangs

When I run RUU.exe, it identifies the version (1.28.401.1) but then keeps showing message "Rebooting to Bootloader" and nothing happens

Last edited:

#Fear

Aug 26, 2013
Thanks for reply

Yes its renamed as PG88IMG.zip and its on the root (not under any file/ directory). Nothing happens when I boot in bootloader, I tried option of REBOOT BOOTLOADER under FASTBOOT where it just hangs

When I run RUU.exe, it identifies the version (1.28.401.1) but then keeps showing message "Rebooting to Bootloader" and nothing happens
I stand corrected, but, I think you have a eng bootloader, 0.98, should have s-off capabilities.

I think you might need misc_version to run the ruu.

jmcclue

Apr 3, 2012
Thanks for reply

Just noticed ur s-on, so for PG88IMG to work u must be s-off.
And have u all correct drivers installed on ur pc? Stuck on "Rebooting to bootloader" usually driver issue.

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

I stand corrected, but, I think you have a eng bootloader, 0.98, should have s-off capabilities.

I think you might need misc_version to run the ruu.

Hes s-on plus no need for misc version, his version main is 1.28.401.1 and the ruu hes using is 1.28.401.1 so all should be good.

schopda

Apr 10, 2014
Just noticed ur s-on, so for PG88IMG to work u must be s-off.
And have u all correct drivers installed on ur pc? Stuck on "Rebooting to bootloader" usually driver issue.

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

Hes s-on plus no need for misc version, his version main is 1.28.401.1 and the ruu hes using is 1.28.401.1 so all should be good.

Its S-On. And yes it has all latest driver

Just noticed that this file is going as PG88IMG.rar and not as PG88IMG.zip. Is this an issue? When I am trying to copy as zip file to sd card its refusing to copy with error message as "this device has either stopped responding or been disconnected ...."

Last edited:

jmcclue

Apr 3, 2012
Its S-On. And yes it has all latest driver

Just noticed that this file is going as PG88IMG.rar and not as PG88IMG.zip. Is this an issue? When I am trying to copy as zip file to sd card its refusing to copy with error message as "this device has either stopped responding or been disconnected ...."

Yes should be PG88IMG.zip only for it to work
Try a card reader to copy over the file to sd

schopda

Apr 10, 2014
Yes should be PG88IMG.zip only for it to work
Try a card reader to copy over the file to sd
I could manage proper zip file. Inserted in sdcard. Mobile could read it. For long time it was showing message as updating bootloader. I lost the patience after half an hour n removed the battery. Now nothing is happening. No logo no bootloader. It's not even charging now. Any clue whats wrong

jmcclue

Apr 3, 2012
I could manage proper zip file. Inserted in sdcard. Mobile could read it. For long time it was showing message as updating bootloader. I lost the patience after half an hour n removed the battery. Now nothing is happening. No logo no bootloader. It's not even charging now. Any clue whats wrong

Yes, u pulled the battery while it was updating. Now u have corrupted ur bootloader, congrats. Take it to repair shop n see if they have jtag, but to be honest, u could prob by a used desire s for bout 40 euro, fixing ur own would prob cost bout 80 euro with jtag so...

schopda

Apr 10, 2014
Yes, u pulled the battery while it was updating. Now u have corrupted ur bootloader, congrats. Take it to repair shop n see if they have jtag, but to be honest, u could prob by a used desire s for bout 40 euro, fixing ur own would prob cost bout 80 euro with jtag so...

Absolutely no way out other than jtag???

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys, if you've read around this forum, you must be familiar with the infamous bricked eMMC problems. This, sadly, is a hardware issue, and once it's bricked, you have no choice but to get the eMMC replaced by a professional. Following the popular saying, "Prevention is Better Than Cure", here are a few tips to prevent the eMMC chips from burning

=> Do not download multiple apps at once from the market. Even two simultaneous apps can screw your phone up.

=> Never Use the "UPDATE ALL" feature from the market. Update each app separately.

=> When you flash a new ROM, restore your apps using titanium backup before adding a Google Account. This will prevent the market from restoring all your apps at once.

=> NEVER EVER PULL THE BATTERY This is very important. Pulling your battery out is the most prominent cause of eMMC bricks. Use alternatives like -

=> Use ADB Commands to reboot into recovery

=> Press the Volume up, Volume Down and Power buttons together to reeboot the phone. In a bootloop, take off the battery cover (without pulling the battery) and press the buttons. The phone will turn off for 2-3 seconds before it turns back on. That's your window. Pull the battery in this time.

=> If you absolutely have to pull the battery, re-insert it at least 30 seconds later.
    ADB Commands

ADB Commands

You'll obviously need ADB on your PC, so download and extract the adb & fastboot onto your PC which you'll see in a link in my signature. Ensure that you have HTC drivers on your PC if not also download and install the link in my signature.

Plug phone into PC by USB cable.

Then fire up a CMD on your PC, go to directory where you put adb and issue the command
    Code:
    [B][COLOR="Blue"]adb devices [/B][/COLOR]    [COLOR="YellowGreen"]  ---- what is the result?[/COLOR]
    If your device appears to be recognised that's good, so next try

Code:
    [COLOR="Blue"][B]adb reboot recovery[/B][/COLOR]

[B][COLOR="YellowGreen"]OR[/COLOR] [/B]

[COLOR="Blue"][B]adb reboot bootloader[/B][/COLOR]
    yes, sadly there is.

Run this command in the terminal app or ADB

cat /sys/devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0:0001/name

Post the result. If it's M4G2DE, your with us, faulty eMMC
    Okay this is my first post (yaaaay).
    I've been lurking around xda for quite a while now and bought my desire s some days ago. Now i s-offed and rooted it and installed virtuous rom on it.

I just read this thread and got kinda scared because i simultaneously update everything. I even pulled the battery and re-inserted it instantly.
    Now if i try to run the terminal command i get:
    cat/sys/devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc0/mmc0:0001/name: not found

Do i have to use some special terminal app or just anything from market?
    I know that after i get a reply i'll facepalm so hard as noone did before.

Also if i'm already typing: Is there a way to use adb on a mac?

Thanks in advance for your help.

On a Mac can you not now virtual PC? If yes then install adb within that, set link in my signature, download and extract into directory in that

Swyped from my Desire S using XDA Premium
    Try the app TERMINAL EMULATOR. Worked for me.

Hey ben, i can never get adb to work. Do i need the android SDK? Or just htc drivers?