iContact 0.6 update + source code

Search This thread

snw

Mar 25, 2008
Could someone add a Grouping feature?

The idea is to be able to add your contacts to groups (pre-defined or custom made), not just in the favorites.
There could be a semi-transparent button on the bottom-left (similar to the one on the bottom-right for the letter shortcuts), which brings up the list of groups.

I don't know if this is too complicated, but it'd be nice, I think.. :)

ndininno

Feb 29, 2008
I put the iContact.exe in a folder and I have opened it from there with no issues, but when I try to open it from my sbp menu it opens the old version (0.2 i think) even though I deleted it from my disk. Any idea why this happens?

GerbenB

Jun 18, 2008
Icontact hijacks contacts.lnk

I installed Icontact (0.6 and 0.71) to try them out. Loved them, until I discovered they hijack all existing contacts.lnk links. :mad: I need to be able to use the regular mscontact-interface, because icontact does not give access to all of the information. Also I hate programs changing things like this without asking.

After de-installing all contacts.link links are still changed back to point to icontact every time I restart my phone :eek:
Anyone out there knows what causes this and how I can stop it ?

l3v5y

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 13, 2007
Bristol
I installed Icontact (0.6 and 0.71) to try them out. Loved them, until I discovered they hijack all existing contacts.lnk links. :mad: I need to be able to use the regular mscontact-interface, because icontact does not give access to all of the information. Also I hate programs changing things like this without asking.

After de-installing all contacts.link links are still changed back to point to icontact every time I restart my phone :eek:
That is what iContact does... It edits the registry to point :MSCONTACTS to iContact (the lnk files point to the registry).

You'll need to open poutlook directly with the parameter "Contacts" to get around this, or search the registry for "MSCONTACTS" and edit accordingly.

GerbenB

Jun 18, 2008
I have noticed Icontact does this. But why?
It's an interface to a database. Why should it change the registry to be the only interface?
You could just start it using a separate link from the today screen or from the program list. And why isn't this turned back after you uninstall it ?

Anyway. The least I think developers should do is warn that Icontact changes this registry setting.

Last edited:

GerbenB

Jun 18, 2008
It's not Icontact 0.6 creating this problem

I've corrected the registry entry. The problem then disappeared.

After re-installing icontact 0.6 (planning to keep using the program, but correcting the registry entry, so the contacts.lnk would keep pointing to poutlook contacts) the problem was gone.
Apparently it's the 0.71-version causing this problem and changing the registry. Not 0.6.

Glad I'll be able to keep using it now. Perfect application for calling in my car.

usernamed

Jun 27, 2008
HELP please? -Noobed on this one

After hearing how good this program was and all the fixes along the thread, i decided to try it out.
something went horribly wrong since after all the fixes posted i am still not able to see the iContacts program and now my registry file is changed. :eek:

I REALLY noobed on this one, is there anybody that can help. i just want to patch things back to what they were before trying to install this program. i went way over my head.

I tryied only iContacts v0.6
my system: iPaq rx3715
WM2003 SE

If you can help please drop me a line.
thanks

:confused:

these are the files i used:

Attachments

• MSCONTACTS.zip
    399 bytes · Views: 67
  • iContact_v0.6.zip
    34.5 KB · Views: 36

mrg2003

Nov 20, 2003
Mars
Samsung Galaxy S8+
DOOGEE MIX

Selective restore

dinco

Apr 25, 2007
try this...

Under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shell\Rai\:MSCONTACTS]

change value for
1= \windows\poutlook.exe Contacts
String 1 = :MSPOUTLOOK

then restart your device. Good Luck! :)

ppt123

Jul 21, 2008
hi all, i'm a new PPC user and not familar with all this stuff.
So i put the icontact.exe in my device folder and try to install it, but when i click it, it just open the program.

So if i wanna open icontact i have to go to file explorer and click the exe file to launch the program. Is there something im doing wrong here?is there any other way to open the program faster?

I'm using htc kaiser/tilt btw. Thank you.

wearefree

Oct 10, 2007
You could use some 3rd party file explorer (total commander is highly recommended) to create a shortcut to the icontact.exe and put the shortcut in the \windows\start menu\programs folder. This way when you click the start menu you'll find icontact in the programs folder.

Frankly you ought to look at the updated versions.

By supbro:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=395829

By truburt:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=402724

These updated versions are skinnable and there are many skins made. Just search the forum. Personally I prefer the burt edition but you may find supbro version fits you better.

ppt123

Jul 21, 2008
Thanks for your answer wearefree, thats very helpful, i didnt even know there are 3rd party file explorer for ppc :). I will look into those. Or maybe i should get the cab file that make the right soft key to open icontact instead.

sdlopez83

Aug 8, 2007
NY-Chile
IMHO the .6 version is better than all the modified .74 and .75. Versions. It is less cluttered and I can click on the names with better response than .7 versions. wish this version could be updated a little on the favorites section.

TVThemeGuy

Jul 5, 2007
This app looks great!! I have an HP hx2415. It is NOT a phone, but I would still like to be able to use it. Any chance this could happen? Thanks!!

gman8966

Jan 4, 2008
IMHO the .6 version is better than all the modified .74 and .75. Versions. It is less cluttered and I can click on the names with better response than .7 versions. wish this version could be updated a little on the favorites section.

Totally agree, tried the newer versions and the older is better. Quicker response time, doesn't freeze up for seconds at a time and looks clean.