[APP] Skyrocket Charger Test [Now in Google Play]

Search This thread

Jrockttu

Nov 7, 2007
Hi, just downloaded right now.
got the Kies update stock unit, your version of sw is 0.9 ,

it installed ok via G-play, but wont open when I click on it, or from g-play
the current kies version is :kernal version 3.0.31-844945 and build # JZ054K.I72UCMC1

cheers

There's nothing to open, so once you install and start it, it will run the service in the background. There is no UI to view, only a notification that appears every time you plug in a charger. If you plug in a charger, do you see a notification appear?

The next thing on my list is to add a UI to the app, but I'll only do that if it looks like people still use the app. The Play Store will be able to give me that stat via active installs.

jonstovall79

May 4, 2014
I've been using this for about a month now and never had an issue. Love it. I figured out not only the charger type but actual cable has a lot to do with how it charges. I also use beanstalk ROM by wantowan2 and it has a fast charge toggle. Works well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: Jrockttu
Jun 3, 2013
Does not appear to work on a US Sprint S3 running stock rooted 4.1.2 though I figured it was a long shot since to my knowledge this model doesn't support charger tests. Good work on your app though! I love the simplicity and the lack of permissions :)

NoSpamDan

Recognized Developer
Jan 12, 2012
candyroms.org
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 7T
Does not appear to work on a US Sprint S3 running stock rooted 4.1.2 though I figured it was a long shot since to my knowledge this model doesn't support charger tests. Good work on your app though! I love the simplicity and the lack of permissions :)
I believe this is only for the Skyrocket,. Hence the name..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Jun 3, 2013
I believe this is only for the Skyrocket,. Hence the name..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

I know :) I was working off some of the earlier posts in this thread that suggested testing if it worked on other devices- a couple pages back somebody had mentioned it working on a Note, I think. I am incurably curious about stuff, lol.

NoSpamDan

Recognized Developer
Jan 12, 2012
candyroms.org
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 7T
I know :) I was working off some of the earlier posts in this thread that suggested testing if it worked on other devices- a couple pages back somebody had mentioned it working on a Note, I think. I am incurably curious about stuff, lol.
Does your phone have these files?

/sys/class/power_supply/battery/batt_charging_source

/sys/class/power_supply/battery/batt_current_adc

If not, then it won't provide the info the app needs.

Frankenbiker

Sep 28, 2012
I'm using the app on my Note-1. AT&T, running CM-11.
-blaine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA Free mobile app

mkmossop

Jun 16, 2013
I'm kind of illiterate in this kind of stuff, could someone help me out?

I get Fast Charge (A/C), 769 mA when connected to a socket, and Fast Charge (USB), 502 mA when connected to my computer.

Does this mean the sdio_dmux wakelock is caused by a charger or SD card issue?

daveburton

Sep 23, 2014
Cary, NC USA
Works with my SGH-i727 (JB 4.1.2)

I just downloaded Skyrocket Charger Test from the Play Store. It works with my Skyrocket (Jellybean 4.1.2).

It's a little odd. Nothing appears to happen when I tap it to run it. But if I then plug in a charger I get the notification.

The charging currents reported seem to be consistent with those reported by CurrentWidget v0.4, when CurrentWidget is configured for "/ 10" (divide by ten) in its "Normalize current value" setting.

(This board won't let me post the link to CurrentWidget, sorry!)

NoSpamDan

Recognized Developer
Jan 12, 2012
candyroms.org
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 7T
I just downloaded Skyrocket Charger Test from the Play Store. It works with my Skyrocket (Jellybean 4.1.2).

It's a little odd. Nothing appears to happen when I tap it to run it. But if I then plug in a charger I get the notification.

The charging currents reported seem to be consistent with those reported by CurrentWidget v0.4, when CurrentWidget is configured for "/ 10" (divide by ten) in its "Normalize current value" setting.

That's how it has always behaved. You have to run it once; thereafter it will show a notification when you plug in the phone to charge.

This app (and its pre-Play version) has saved me a lot of time and aggravation with poorly made USB cables.

Reactions: S2S5 and CE20934

S2S5

Dec 19, 2016
That's how it has always behaved. You have to run it once; thereafter it will show a notification when you plug in the phone to charge.

This app (and its pre-Play version) has saved me a lot of time and aggravation with poorly made USB cables.

This app works on your CandySix! GREAT!
but not on the 14.1 ROM :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE (3/1/2014): Better late than never, the app is now available in the Google Play Store.

DOWNLOAD HERE

This version *should* work for both ICS and JB. I still don't have a Skyrocket, so can someone please download and test and let me know if it works? If it does not, I'll fix ASAP. I'm just publishing the same basic app to the Play Store to make it a little easier for you folks to install it after a flash.

If the Play Store version doesn't work for ICS and/or JB, v0.1 in this thread is for ICS, v0.3 is for JB

I created an app in Tasker's App Factory to test your Skyrocket's charger.

The goal of this app is to help you determine if your charger is providing a fast charge and to see if your charger will cause the dreaded wakelock. You should be able to plug in your charger and launch the app to see your charger type and current reported in the notification bar.

This app was created to accompany my thread on Skyrocket battery life here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1759541

The apk is attached. Just install it and launch the app when you have a charger connected.

For Reference:

The app runs a cat of these files: /sys/class/power_supply/battery/charging_source & /sys/class/power_supply/battery/batt_current_adc

***Version 0.3 for Jelly Bean ROMs cats batt_charging_source instead of charging_source***

It uses charging_source and the values below to determine the charge type

0= No charger connected.

1= USB Normal Charge. There is 5VDC on pins 1&4 and data current is detected on 2&3

2= AC Fast Charge. AC Fast Charge. There is 5VDC on pins 1&4, and pins 2&3 are BRIDGED.

6= AC Regular Charge. This is the charge state that creates the wakelock. There is 5VDC on pins 1&4, and pins 2&3 are OPEN/DISCONNECTED.

The app uses the batt_current_adc value to determine the charge current. Anything below 500 means your charger provides a normal charge. Anything above that will likely be around 900 and that is considered a fast charge.

The Tasker project XML is attached in the second ZIP if anybody wants to see what the app is doing.

Version 0.1
    First attempt

V 0.3
    Should work with Jelly Bean
    Updated minimum OS to 4.1
    Changed cat of "charging_source" to "batt_charging_source"
    Yes it does change when it's plugged into the charger.

Someone please try the version that is attached. I changed it to check the batt_charging_source file. Try it out with a few chargers that you know do or do not create the wakelock so that you know if it's reporting the right information.
    Excellent, thanks for this. Is there anyway to integrate the wakelock charging check into this as well?

The app should tell you that your charger will cause a wakelock if it's one that will. Is it not doing that for you?

I've uploaded the app to Google Play, for anybody that wants to download it from there: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jellisapps.srchargertest

This is a new version, I tried to make it work for both JB and ICS, but I don't have a Skyrocket anymore. Someone please download and let me know whether it works and if you're on JB or ICS.