[GUIDE] dsixda's Android Kitchen - Now supports GS3 SGH-T999 (Windows/Linux/Mac)

Search This thread

lgkahn

Mar 26, 2010
londonderry
does anyone know if apps2sd works.. that is the only optoin in the kitchen that i need and dont already have (did the mods myself manually)..

Except for maybe transparent status bar.. working with stock launcher.

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
I don't know what happened but since updating the kitchen, I cannot get it to work. It keeps getting stuck during the "Extracting ROM" phase.

I never had issues in the past, so I'm kind of confused. I'm wondering if maybe I need to update Cygwin?

dsixda

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
I don't know what happened but since updating the kitchen, I cannot get it to work. It keeps getting stuck during the "Extracting ROM" phase.

I never had issues in the past, so I'm kind of confused. I'm wondering if maybe I need to update Cygwin?

What file format is it.. TAR? Maybe the file is corrupt? Can you extract the files out with 7zip?

nybern

Mar 26, 2006
Brooklyn NY

Im having the "Extracting ROM" problem also, it's my first time installing the kitchen and have down loaded 3 different roms and thy all get stuck at extracting rom.
i thought it might my slow computer but i let it run over night and same results.
when i look in the folder the kitchen does extract the files

Last edited:

evil1art

Dec 7, 2009
Philadelphia, Pa
Im having the "Extracting ROM" problem also, it's my first time installing the kitchen and have down loaded 3 different roms and thy all get stuck at extracting rom.
i thought it might my slow computer but i let it run over night and same results.

If its a zip check the build prop has not been messed with I ran into that

dsixda

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa

Wait.. are you referring to STOCK ROM or CUSTOM ROM made by someone else??

Instructions on post #1:

• Stock firmware:
    • system.img.ext4, cache.img.ext4, boot.img
    • TAR/ZIP file containing the above. NOTE: If the TAR file name ends with "MD5", remove the MD5 part from the name.
  • OR Custom ROM:
    • must be a ZIP file created by the kitchen from the stock firmware (NOTE: The kitchen may NOT support custom ROMs created through other methods such as CyanogenMod, due to potential file structure incompatibility issues)

Last edited:

dsixda

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
Reactions: nybern

nybern

Mar 26, 2006
Brooklyn NY
Hi,

First link is a custom ROM not made by the kitchen (thus, incompatible, as stated in post #1), and second link points to Samsung Galaxy Europa ROM (??) (arrgh.. I just wasted my time and bandwidth downloading it)

dsixda
i figured thats why the first one did not work, the second one says Official Latest STOCK ROMS for T-MOBILE SGS3 (SGH-T999)
does the post have the wrong info ?
thanks dsixda for taking the time.

DocHoliday77
can i have the link to the .tar file you used to see if it works for me?

Last edited:

dsixda

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
dsixda
i figured thats why the first one did not work, the second one says Official Latest STOCK ROMS for T-MOBILE SGS3 (SGH-T999)
does the post have the wrong info ?
thanks dsixda for taking the time.

Yeah I think it has wrong info, I think someone pointed me to that same page last week too and I downloaded the same wrong ROM (fooled me twice). :silly: Whoever is hosting that URL has to update their links.

Reactions: nybern

Wildchld

Jun 29, 2007
Miami
Yeah I think it has wrong info, I think someone pointed me to that same page last week too and I downloaded the same wrong ROM (fooled me twice). :silly: Whoever is hosting that URL has to update their links.

Using Linux and I have never had any problems with files before or after the S3 patching. Before yes I had to make my own updater-script but I knew that anyway. Get your files from the source and you will have now issues and for the noobs you can even use a Nandroid backup just zip up the boot.img and system.ext4.tar and drop in the organization folder but you need to use 5.5.0.4

Kernel patching been working also before and after update.

Thanks dsixda again great tool for the masses.

:cool:

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

dsixda

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
Using Linux and I have never had any problems with files before or after the S3 patching. Before yes I had to make my own updater-script but I knew that anyway. Get your files from the source and you will have now issues

I think you meant to say 'no issues', not 'now issues'.. ;) Thanks for your feedback

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    dsixda's Android Kitchen - Now for Samsung Galaxy SIII SGH-T999

Compatible with Windows (Cygwin) / Linux / Mac OS X

The following is a guide to assist you with creating your own Samsung Galaxy SIII SGH-T999(V) (T-Mobile, Wind, Mobilicity, Videotron) custom ROMs with the kitchen. This is NOT a guide to help you become Cyanogen or do fancy things with AOSP, but it may be your springboard to bigger things in the future.

Some of you already know about the Android Kitchen. It is a project I started on back in February 2010 to help newbies create their own custom ROMs and learn more about Android. As of the latest versions, you can now create your own Galaxy S3 T999 ROMs with the kitchen.

IMPORTANT: For all other Galaxy S3 variants, this guide may not be exactly the one you're looking for. There may be support for your S3 device in the kitchen, but I'd need to post different instructions. Check the first post of the kitchen thread for any updates for linked instructions.

I'd like to thank Jamison904 for testing and providing feedback, which is always appreciated!

GUIDE

1. First, you need a rooted Samsung Galaxy SIII SGH-T999 with a custom recovery menu, which allows flashing of custom ROMs.
    2. Visit the Android Kitchen thread to download the kitchen. Then, follow the link to the FAQ which will show you how to install it on Windows, Linux or Mac OS X. Ensure you read the FAQ carefully.
    3. Put one or more of your base ROM(s) under the original_update folder. For the Samsung Galaxy S3 T999, there is support for the following formats (that I know of) which can be placed in that folder:
      • Stock firmware:
        • system.img.ext4, cache.img.ext4, boot.img
        • or TAR/ZIP file containing the above. NOTE: If the TAR file name ends with "MD5", remove the MD5 part from the name.
      • OR Custom ROM:
        • IMPORTANT!! If you chose a ZIP file then it must be one that was created by the kitchen from the stock firmware, not through other means (NOTE: The kitchen may NOT support custom ROMs created through other methods such as CyanogenMod, due to potential file structure incompatibility issues)
      • OR Nandroid backup from custom recovery image:
        • system.img, cache.img and boot.img
        • system.ext4.tar, cache.ext4.tar and boot.img
    4. Here are some basic steps to creating your first ROM after you have your base of files under original_update (more options are available in the kitchen):
      1. Start the kitchen with: ./menu
      2. Create a working folder (by choosing your base ROM)
      3. Root your ROM
      4. Add Busybox
      5. Optional: Disable boot sounds
      6. Optional: In the Advanced options menu: De-odex your ROM (your mileage may vary as to whether this works 100%)
      7. Build ROM
    5. The ROM is built into a ZIP file meant for flashing from the custom recovery menu. No Odin. Make a Nandroid backup of your current system before you flash anything!
    6. Some notes:
      • Just select the defaults whenever you are asked about something in the kitchen and are unsure whether to type 'y' or 'n'.
      • There are lots of questions answered in the FAQ in Posts 3 and 4 of the main Android Kitchen thread. So if you have issues with your installation, please go through that first before asking questions in this thread.

For the benefit of other readers and to prevent confusion, please only discuss the Samsung Galaxy SIII SGH-T999 in this thread!

Most of all, have patience, take your time and enjoy!!

dsixda you're the man! Side note: Infamous S3 coming soon...
    Been using it since release day. What was added? Ability to make an updater-script otherwise been working great! Even patches kernel fine. Great work dsixda.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Basically updater-script fixes for the SGS3. All the painful work, such as file extraction and boot.img extraction/re-packing with correct headers was already done when I was working on the Galaxy S2 variants.
    I have been trying to bake in a kernel with the new firmware and have a break in wifi everytime I try. If I flash the same kernel everything works fine.

You need to understand how an operating system works, a kernel is not a simple plugin -- it represents the drivers or the interface to the hardware. In other words you have to use the /lib/modules/*.ko (incliding wlan.ko or similar) and possibly other modules that were compiled with the kernel.