[ROOT] [How To] Install Google Play Store On Amazon 7" Kindle Fire HD

Search This thread

kjwil

Sep 16, 2013
adding Google play

I followed your instructions and all was fine until I tried to copy the Vending apk to the system/app folder. I get the following error when I try to paste it to the folder:

/system/app/Vending.apk: open failed: EROFS (Read only file system)

How do I get around this?

Thanks!

KJ

MoeDee

Mar 15, 2010
Marietta, GA
thanks. I wonder how google license android to them without appstore?

FYI
" Android is open source and Google releases the code under the Apache License. This open-source code and permissive licensing allows the software to be freely modified and distributed by device manufacturers, wireless carriers and enthusiast developers. "

Sent from my Evervolv VivoW using Tapatalk 2.

nicholas73

Sep 27, 2013
sudokuisland.com
two minor problems you might see

I ran into a couple problems not mentioned here:

First is the encryption password for the device. You need to input the Amazon password you have or else restore will do nothing, and you will scratch your head why root didn't happen (the script will still say success).

Second, you might get "error: device not found" when trying to install suchecker.apk. You may simply need to unplug and replug the USB. Then it will be detected. It will show your device serial and say "device". Sometimes it says nothing, or "offline".

I don't think you really need suchecker (the Dropbox link is dead and I got a different version elsewhere).

You can google the same root checker basic pictured here.

Brendanancy

Sep 27, 2013
ES File Explorer

I'll Show You How To Install And Setup The Latest Version Of The Google Play Store.

Just Follow This Easy Step By Step Instructions

Step By Step Instructions:

Hi I installed ES file explorer to follow your instructions for Google play but when I go to tools>Root Explorer it says "sorry, test failed. This feature cannot run on your device" Can you help please?

TheHellsage

Feb 10, 2013
So, everything seems to be running correctly, but....

I did run across one minor issue (it's more of a nuisance than anything else, but I wanted to ask about it anyway).

I went through all the steps, and got everything installed. There were only a couple of things that made me scratch my head:

1) After finishing all the steps, I never saw the "Android Market" icon in the App Drawer. This same quirk occurred with Superuser when I rotoed my device, but in both cases, I know the app was installed (Superuser still had its popups, and the Play Store APK said it would be replacing a system app).

2) I didn't put the "Google Play Services" APK into my system/app folder, choosing to just install it straight. However, it appears doing so left a shortcut for those services in my App Drawer next to the Play Store. Is there some way of removing the icon without removing the whole APK, or should I just ignore the shortcut entirely?

Thanks for the help, everyone... I'm still kinda new at this.

Last edited:

ReRobinson

Oct 14, 2013
Some Google files already on rooted Kindle?

I have a bit of a confusing situation here.

I tried rooting my Kindle Fire Hd 7" (Version 7.4.6) and discovered the guide was for a different version and ended up not working. I rooted again, got part way through installing Google Play services and started having some problems

I reset it back to factory defaults to try and root it all over again.

I had a couple error messages in the process, but it seemed to work alright. So I went to install all the google stuff and discovered this:

I already had Google Market on my Kindle, along with the files "account_and_sync_settings", "Google_login_service-4.0.3-239410", "google_services_framework-4.0.4-338691" and "vending".

How is this possible? I would have thought the factory reset would have deleted those files?

Anyone have any explanation?

MaRkuS_538

Sep 28, 2012
Even works with hd 8.9 firmware 8.4.6?
Can I install in the last step the nrw play store(version 4.4)?

Gesendet von meinem LG-E975 mit Tapatalk 4

MoeDee

Mar 15, 2010
Marietta, GA
I have a bit of a confusing situation here.

I tried rooting my Kindle Fire Hd 7" (Version 7.4.6) and discovered the guide was for a different version and ended up not working. I rooted again, got part way through installing Google Play services and started having some problems

I reset it back to factory defaults to try and root it all over again.

I had a couple error messages in the process, but it seemed to work alright. So I went to install all the google stuff and discovered this:

I already had Google Market on my Kindle, along with the files "account_and_sync_settings", "Google_login_service-4.0.3-239410", "google_services_framework-4.0.4-338691" and "vending".

How is this possible? I would have thought the factory reset would have deleted those files?

Anyone have any explanation?

I am assuming you found those apk files under /system/data ..?

Well a factory restore/reset would not remove those files from there.... only I.e. restoring the firmware or an update would do it...

Sent from my KFHD using Tapatalk 4

kstarlin

Oct 30, 2013
error

Does this only work on the 7"? I have the 9" and when I go to Root Explorer, it says "Sorry, test failed, This feature cannot run on your device.

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest

yanogore

Jan 3, 2011
Hi,

Thanks for this tutorial it worked (almost) perfect.

After I've installed market, youtube stopped working. At first it wouldn't open at all, after re-installation app opens up but I can only see top "tool bar" and light-grey background with this circle running around (loading animation). Has any one the same problem?

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
Hi,

Thanks for this tutorial it worked (almost) perfect.

After I've installed market, youtube stopped working. At first it wouldn't open at all, after re-installation app opens up but I can only see top "tool bar" and light-grey background with this circle running around (loading animation). Has any one the same problem?

It sounds like it might need another try at rooting. Make sure to use the wipe (DALVIK/CACHE) option afterward

Or, is this issue with YouTube only? If it is, you may try this ---

YouTube, pretty sure, is installed as a system app when it does not have to be. You can download ES file explorer and give it root access.

After that follow these instructions to a tee.

Go back to root explorer in ES file manager.
Click on the actual word "Root Explorer"
Click "Mount R/W"
Change both the path and system from RO to RW and click OK
Click on the word "Root Explorer" again
Now click on "Uninstall system app"
Find the You Tube app and long press on it until a check mark appears on the apk file
Now click on uninstall.
You just uninstalled the YouTube app.
Now go download it from the Play Store and run it regular and see if that helps.

Also, you can try KFFA http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888 make sure you use their option to remove OTA updates so you don't get your root broke when they update the firmware next.

yanogore

Jan 3, 2011
It sounds like it might need another try at rooting. Make sure to use the wipe (DALVIK/CACHE) option afterward

Or, is this issue with YouTube only? If it is, you may try this ---

YouTube, pretty sure, is installed as a system app when it does not have to be. You can download ES file explorer and give it root access.

After that follow these instructions to a tee.

Go back to root explorer in ES file manager.
Click on the actual word "Root Explorer"
Click "Mount R/W"
Change both the path and system from RO to RW and click OK
Click on the word "Root Explorer" again
Now click on "Uninstall system app"
Find the You Tube app and long press on it until a check mark appears on the apk file
Now click on uninstall.
You just uninstalled the YouTube app.
Now go download it from the Play Store and run it regular and see if that helps.

Also, you can try KFFA http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888 make sure you use their option to remove OTA updates so you don't get your root broke when they update the firmware next.

Hi after clearing app's cache it started working, thanks for advise with blocking ota will do that tomorrow.

diddledude

Mar 28, 2012
hi guys , managed to get play store on my kindle fire hd

not sure if its right though ie:

i search for real racing 3 and it doesn't show in results ?

yet shows fine on my s3

i was hoping by installing playstore i would be abl to get latest version installed onto my kindle :(

have i done anything wrong ?

regards diddle :)

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest

yet shows fine on my s3

i was hoping by installing playstore i would be abl to get latest version installed onto my kindle :(

Which ROM are you using? Sometimes a custom ROM don't work with every android app. Other times some games are formatted for certain screens and are simply not compatible. I know one ROM I tried would not let me choose several apps. So I say try a different ROM if nothing else.

If this is the stock Amazon OS that's rooted with Gapps only you can try to clear CACHE and reboot and see if this helps.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running Paranoid Android using xda app-developers

yanogore

Jan 3, 2011

yet shows fine on my s3

Hi I got that game from 1market before I had gaps or root. It was the latest version as google store detects that game but there are no updates for it as of day before yesterday.

diddledude

Mar 28, 2012
thanks for the replies guys

as yet im just running as rooted amazon OS with play store
ive been looking at roms but still not sure which one to take the leap with lol
where do i find option to clear cache ?

i too sideloaded the game before root which worked fine...just puzzled why play store not showing it as a down load option ?

---------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    (Root Users Only)
    We All Know The Amazon Appstore Has A Huge Selection When It Comes To Music, Movies, And Books, The Same Cannot Be Said For Apps.
    Despite The Fact That The Kindle Fire HD Is An Android Based Tablet It Doesn’t Officially Have Access To The Google Play Store.
    We Also Know We Can Sideload Apps But It’s Much Nicer To Have The Google Play Store App On Your Kindle Fire HD.

I'll Show You How To Install And Setup The Latest Version Of The Google Play Store.

Just Follow This Easy Step By Step Instructions

Step By Step Instructions:

- Step 1: First Download All Of The Following Files:
    View attachment 2118880
    View attachment 2118885
    View attachment 2118892
    View attachment 2118913
    View attachment 2118914
    View attachment Vending.apk
    View attachment 2118924 - If You Don't Have Any File Explorer You Can Download One From The Amazon Appstore (I Reccommend Using ES File Explorer, It's The Better One).

- Step 2: Then Transfer All Of Them To The Kindle Fire HD.

- Step 3: Go To ES File Explorer, Go Into 'Tools' >'Root Explorer' >'Mount R/W' And Set Both To 'RW'.
    Screenshot_2013-07-15-14-34-44.jpg Screenshot_2013-07-15-14-34-55.jpg Screenshot_2013-07-15-14-35-09.jpg

- Step 4: Now You Can Just Install (In That Order):
    View attachment 2118880
    View attachment 2118914
    View attachment 2118885
    View attachment 2118892
    Or You Can Copy Those Files To system/app Folder (Without The Google Play Services App, Intall That One).
    Screenshot_2013-07-15-15-53-29.jpg Screenshot_2013-07-15-15-53-33.jpg

- Step 5: Reboot Your Device.

- Step 6: Now Copy The View attachment Vending.apk To system/app Folder (Copy It). Then Tap The Vending.apk And Replace It.
    Screenshot_2013-07-15-15-53-29.jpg Screenshot_2013-07-15-15-53-33.jpg

- Step 7: Reboot Your Device Once Again.

- Step 8: At This Point You Can See The 'Android Market' App In The 'Apps Drawer'. Now You Can Just Open The App And Set Your Account, Or Update To Google Play Store.

- Step 9: Updating To Google Play Store. Search For View attachment 2118913 You Downloaded, Tap To Install And Replace It.

- Step 10: Reboot Your Device.

You're Done!

Now You Can Enjoy Those Apps, Music, Movies, And Books From The Google Play Store. Your 7" Kindle Fire HD Just Got Better.
    Enjoy And Be Sure To Let Me know If You Have Any Issues Or Questions.
    Maybe I missed it... but what about the "Account And Sync Settings-2.3.4.apk" file? You never say when to install it.

-T
    tried that
    like I said
    the market works just fine, it's only when I update to the play store that it breaks
    thanks for the suggestion
    With all due respect to the OP, there is already a working tutorial for getting the Play Store installed. It is very specific and has to be done a certain way in order to guarantee your success.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2069329

The manual method from that thread is what the RootPlus script to install the Play Store is based on and works ~99% of the time for all 2nd generation devices.
    D
    Deleted member 4707892
    Worked for me.

Instructions worked perfectly for me. Good job.

Does adding the Google Play store using this method require the Kindle Fire to be rooted?

It says [ROOT] right in the title of the post. (Typed exactly the same as the post title.)

Sent From My Kindle Fire HD Running CyanogenMod 10.1