Bought used N5- No mobile network whatsoever!

Search This thread

butthurtlocker

Oct 29, 2013
Victoria
So i bought me a new used nexus 5 on craigslist from some old chinese guy. He said it wasn't connecting to a network no matter what or whose sim cards he used and how many times he rooted it. the phone is on stock unrooted 4.4.2. I got it on the cheap and was hoping ot fix it up and use it. Any idea what might be wrong with it?

shotta35

Nov 30, 2008
NYC & Germany

thionylx

Dec 27, 2013
You don't mention that YOU returned it to stock, you just said it was stock and unrooted. If it is exactly the way he gave it to you I would fastboot flash the stock 4.4.2 images from google and see what that does for you. You could simply have a corrupted file somewhere.

butthurtlocker

Oct 29, 2013
Victoria
You don't mention that YOU returned it to stock, you just said it was stock and unrooted. If it is exactly the way he gave it to you I would fastboot flash the stock 4.4.2 images from google and see what that does for you. You could simply have a corrupted file somewhere.

Yes when he sold it to me it was stock. I haven't returned it to stock, ive rooted it and tried diff rom/basebad combos and still nothing. Theres also a weird persistent notification that i cant swipe away that says Nework (ROGERS) Unvailable....even when i reset and try a Telus sim! Is there an easier way to flash stock besides fastboot? I am pretty new to this gig and am not too comfortable with fastboot

thionylx

Dec 27, 2013
Yes when he sold it to me it was stock. I haven't returned it to stock, ive rooted it and tried diff rom/basebad combos and still nothing. Theres also a weird persistent notification that i cant swipe away that says Nework (ROGERS) Unvailable....even when i reset and try a Telus sim! Is there an easier way to flash stock besides fastboot? I am pretty new to this gig and am not too comfortable with fastboot

This being a Nexus you have little or no risk of doing damage by playing around. My original Droid X was always threatening to self destruct if you messed up the tiniest little step. Spending a couple hours learning about and installing Fastboot and ADB will be the best investment you can make. Once you learn to use them the fear of messing something up is gone. You can flash roms at will without worry as you can always return to stock and start over.

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013
Flash a Google stock image

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

All nexus 5 regardless of carrier should be unlocked

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota

Just follow method one of this. It's easy http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=47156064

PS, why did you buy a device thinking you could fix it of you don't know fastboot commands

Last edited:

butthurtlocker

Oct 29, 2013
Victoria
This being a Nexus you have little or no risk of doing damage by playing around. My original Droid X was always threatening to self destruct if you messed up the tiniest little step. Spending a couple hours learning about and installing Fastboot and ADB will be the best investment you can make. Once you learn to use them the fear of messing something up is gone. You can flash roms at will without worry as you can always return to stock and start over.

Thanks man thats a good point!

butthurtlocker

Oct 29, 2013
Victoria
Just follow method one of this. It's easy http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=47156064

PS, why did you buy a device thinking you could fix it of you don't know fastboot commands

Oh thats perfect bro thanks, nice and straightforward. Will see how this goes after school. I just htought it was maybe a radio issue or rom issue so i thought i could flash around and fix it. Also it was only 70 bucks and in mint condition aside from this problem so I didn't think it was a bad deal :)

Last edited:

Alex240188

May 4, 2010
Hull
That usually happens when the following steps occur.
The original owner unlocked bootloader.
They put twrp on it and did a full backup including ESN
The device developed a fault so they RMA'd it.
They restored the backup from the faulty device into the new one.

The ESN is device specific and by restoring it onto a different device you end up with not being able to connect to a network.

You can check by going into the about phone menu in the settings. If it displays your imei then I don't think this is your problem.

Have you tried popping the back cover off and checking the antennae contacts

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
The good news is the parts are worth more than the $70 you paid for it. Find someone with a busted screen and sell it.

butthurtlocker

Oct 29, 2013
Victoria
Thanks for the advice. Ended up selling it this morning as is to an eager repair junkie. Btw my imei was showing up and the antennas were all in place so still a mystery what was up with it!

Sent from my LG-G2 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sounds like the old Chinese guy knew what he was doing.