Exynos Octa SM-G900H Benchmark, Geat, and Battery Life

Search This thread

iba21

Jul 1, 2010
Venice
The Snapdragons still suffer from the hotplugging lag.

I read it only now..

Well powergating is the best hardware implementation ever!!

One thing.. since you are using the s4 octa.. are you quite sure kernel scheduler doesen't "send" tasks to 1 core when it's not necessary to permit a shut down of the correct transistors?

Because in theory, 3.10 scheduler can do it, but, don't know if it works with the 3.4 scheduler.. i'm meaning.. when i see the core load is 0, in theory that core is automatically shutted down by the powergating tech.. right?

cmd512

Aug 25, 2009
Shanghai
The new Exynos version come with new kind of fine-grained power management, overheating should be of the past and impossible.

Please tell me you've changed your mind and will be buying an Exynos S5 and developing Perseus for it? I'm just waiting for an excuse at this point... :)

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

iba21

Jul 1, 2010
Venice
It comes with HMP but that's not what I'm talking about.

The device comes with something called ARM Intelligent Power Allocation (IPA) which is basically a very fine-grained power tracking and estimation thermal framework to control DVFS. The device is capped at 3.5W TDP between all CPUs and GPU, so it should never cause a heating overrun. And it seems that it doesn't affect performance given the videos.

Where may i find some infos about IPA?

I'm curious

hung2900

Apr 3, 2012
Which would never happen

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Note 2:confused:

I read it only now..

Well powergating is the best hardware implementation ever!!

One thing.. since you are using the s4 octa.. are you quite sure kernel scheduler doesen't "send" tasks to 1 core when it's not necessary to permit a shut down of the correct transistors?

Because in theory, 3.10 scheduler can do it, but, don't know if it works with the 3.4 scheduler.. i'm meaning.. when i see the core load is 0, in theory that core is automatically shutted down by the powergating tech.. right?

What? Are you serious with the powergating? Dynamic clockrate (Asymmetric Multiprocessing) is much better. I think you meant the combination of both

Last edited:

iba21

Jul 1, 2010
Venice
Note 2:confused:

What? Are you serious with the powergating? Dynamic clockrate (Asymmetric Multiprocessing) is much better. I think you meant the combination of both

Are you meaning the clock gating?

Because the asymmetric multiprocessin and the power gating are 2 different things

What i would say is, normal arm soc uses the kernel driver to say to the cpu to shut down one core (turn off transistor's alimentation)
With power gating it's all automatically, no use = no tension over the transistors..

That's why we always have 4 cores turned on (for the kernel scheduler), when, with another chip, ex, 4412 of note2, or a qualcomm's chip, you'll see X cores on and Y cores off..

That's a good thing to have less lag by linux scheduling

If you are meaning about the qualcomm's asymmetric voltage.. well.. that is another unusefull thing

AndreiLux

Jul 9, 2011
What i would say is, normal arm soc uses the kernel driver to say to the cpu to shut down one core (turn off transistor's alimentation)
With power gating it's all automatically, no use = no tension over the transistors..
It's not automatic. The cpuidle driver in the kernel is still in charge of power gating.

hung2900

Apr 3, 2012
Are you meaning the clock gating?

Because the asymmetric multiprocessin and the power gating are 2 different things

That's why we always have 4 cores turned on (for the kernel scheduler), when, with another chip, ex, 4412 of note2, or a qualcomm's chip, you'll see X cores on and Y cores off..

That's a good thing to have less lag by linux scheduling

If you are meaning about the qualcomm's asymmetric voltage.. well.. that is another unusefull thing

I wanna say abt your statement that power gating is the best hardware implementation ever.:confused:

joney g.

Mar 7, 2015
f6qrdu4EokZmBDSz5b6gbF_TLdKjebdxqbhoMXroPtRaTlnYrwiza_TrFVHhzeGGtayb-Mz4s6PkhX8=w1366-h638-rw

wanted rom v5...
g900h

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Samsung advertises "True Octa Core" capabilities with this device and this certainly means that Samsung is shipping the device with HMP enabled.
    Does HMP offer better battery management over the previous implementations?
    It comes with HMP but that's not what I'm talking about.

The device comes with something called ARM Intelligent Power Allocation (IPA) which is basically a very fine-grained power tracking and estimation thermal framework to control DVFS. The device is capped at 3.5W TDP between all CPUs and GPU, so it should never cause a heating overrun. And it seems that it doesn't affect performance given the videos.
    The new Exynos version come with new kind of fine-grained power management, overheating should be of the past and impossible.
    There is still little information about the octa variant. No review about score and battery life.
    So I was able to install antutu on demo unit. The score is high and the phone is not heating. All 8 cores can run together but Antutu reports the freq is 500-1300MHz and not recognize the cpu model name.

Please post your benchmark and battery life.

Damn. Exynos is consistently higher than the Snapdragon 801 in Antutu.
    Only disappointment is the lack of LTE though(and ROMs too).
    I'm meaning.. does it have the most hardware functions to have a pure stable and low power efficiency soc?
    The 5422 brings already lots of good improvements and what you claim. I'm just raving about the HEVC decoder in the 5430.

The KGI report mentioned the 5430 on 20nm but I found zero evidence to back that up so it might as well be wrong, but he was right on everything else, so who knows.

Anyway S.LSI's SoC lineup over this summer and probably the good part of the year is the 3250, 5260, 5412, 5422, and 5430. I don't expect anything above that in the current generation.

Enough speculating, I shared what I know for facts. Wait & see for everything else.
    It is still Andrei it is still
    I've read the opposite from other people such as the OP. All depends on firmware you had on your version. We'll see when somebody actually bothers to properly test it. I'm just stating what I see in the code.

@dragon135

The 5430 has a HEVC decoder, dedicated clock domain on the display interface, higher clocks in general, GPU at 600MHz (no info on core count but improvement is a possibility), and a new dedicated A5 co-processor for audio decoding and encoding called "Siren". The HEVC decoder alone is worth it imho since it provides good future-proofing of the device.