[GUIDE] Install Windows 8 to a Tablet/Slate from USB

Search This thread

lseidman

Jun 14, 2011
Las Vegas
lance.compulsivetech.biz
A lot of people have asked me in the past, how can I use my Samsung Series 7 Slate to run the latest Windows 8 (originally Dev Preview when I first released this) and actually I have been seeing it more often that people can't figure out how to get it on their Slate...

With that being said, I recommend you visit my updated post on my Blog that reflects Windows 8 RC here install & my blog contains other Windows 8 (and WP7) related content if you're bored. Otherwise to save you time, below is the steps/full blog post and a video created (This is my video from my YouTube Channel "TechMeShow", I permit the video being here) regarding making the USB Stick, which is old news but still people continue to ask and really get hundreds of views due to Google Searches.

ISO US-ENGLISH DOWNLOADS

Download 64-Bit US-EN Windows 8 Release Preview Here (ISO)

OR

Download 32-Bit US-EN Windows 8 Release Preview Here (ISO)

HOWTO Install Windows 8 Release Preview on MOST Tablet/Slate's

1). Download the edition of Windows 8 you want.
Tip: Download ISO from above.

2). Grab the Microsoft USB Disc Creator ('Should' use a USB Stick + Available USB Slot)
Tip Link: Microsoft USB Disc Creator Download Page. Video below.

3). After you use the Disc Creator, pop in the USB Stick to your computer and DO NOT RUN INSTALL ON WINDOWS 7 (We want it on a Tablet/Slate, remember?).

4). Now, reboot the tablet/slate, hit the Home Screen button only 1 time (give it a moment, don't rush, it'll happen) and select the USB Stick
Tip: To navigate up and down, select the left (or varies on device) Up/Down Volume Control and once selected, press the "Screen Lock".

5). Product Key: TK8TP-9JN6P-7X7WW-RFFTV-B7QPF

6). Follow the steps for installation and your set!

VIDEO: USB BOOTING FROM ISO
http://youtu.be/UdAcGtz6PFU

If you already knew all of this, terrific. However, again and not to brag, when I get at least 200 daily visits because people can't figure out how to install Windows 8 <edition here> on a Tablet/Slate (yes pretty easy), I thought why not post it here because obviously not enough people are getting it.

Last edited:
Hi,

What type of halt/error/hang and where do you get it and on what type of device?

Thanks,
Lance

Just seems to be a strange hang that (after checking various forums) seems to happen mainly on Asus laptops,
apparently concerning the NVIDIA graphics driver which needs to be updated. For the moment they've only got
a W8 driver for the Release Preview build which doesn't seem to solve the issue.

lseidman

Jun 14, 2011
Las Vegas
lance.compulsivetech.biz
Very weird, have you tried to load the driver during setup?

Just seems to be a strange hang that (after checking various forums) seems to happen mainly on Asus laptops,
apparently concerning the NVIDIA graphics driver which needs to be updated. For the moment they've only got
a W8 driver for the Release Preview build which doesn't seem to solve the issue.

harshrocsu

Jul 30, 2011
I don't know wether this is a noobish question ..but can we install windows 8 on an android device ? Like on an OneX to be particular ...hmm ..ok sorry got it ...we need the right drivers which will be pretty damn hard to find ..:p thanks anyways

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

lseidman

Jun 14, 2011
Las Vegas
lance.compulsivetech.biz
Actually, a good chance windows can just use some generic drivers. Once in Windows, I am sure a windows update could find something, windows 8 is badass at finding stuff.

I don't know wether this is a noobish question ..but can we install windows 8 on an android device ? Like on an OneX to be particular ...hmm ..ok sorry got it ...we need the right drivers which will be pretty damn hard to find ..:p thanks anyways

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

I'm interested to get it working on my Xoom, too. Yes it has an microSD slot. There are also OTG cables that you can mount USB sticks.

Guys, the Windows 8 architecture for the images (and RTM that is out now) is for x86 processors only at this time. The Android devices are ARM based. Won't work.

Windows RT is going to support the ARM architecture, but will be a while (maybe never) before the ability to load it on Android hardware will happen.

fma965

Nov 20, 2011
cyanlabs.net
Sorry if this has been mentioned but, you do realise you can change the title of the thread your self right? go to edit > advanced

Sent from my Samsung N130 Netbook powered by Android-x86

lseidman

Jun 14, 2011
Las Vegas
lance.compulsivetech.biz
If Arm is currently what the devices are using, you'll need to obtain the current MSDN/RTM edition... Otherwise, if you have USB/MicroSD capabilities, you can install Windows to it and normally windows will find generic drivers but if you can get a windows display, that in itself is good news.

I'm interested to get it working on my Xoom, too. Yes it has an microSD slot. There are also OTG cables that you can mount USB sticks.

fastredponycar

Jun 8, 2010
Birmingham, AL
figured I'd bump this thread as I have a slate 7 and I'm trying to get the thing to recognize my usb disk drive. Currently I'm having no luck.

I've tried plugging the usb drive directly into the slate as well as into a powered usb hub and nothing seems to make the device see the usb drive.

The hub is good because the usb keyboard I'm using allows me to navigate the bios with the keys and what not but when I go to the boot menu, where it says usb cd drive it just says ":None" and only lists the internal hdd.

this has worked just fine with several other types of tablets but this samsung is the first to simply not recognize the drive at all. Bios settings are all factory default BTW.

Any ideas?

lseidman

Jun 14, 2011
Las Vegas
lance.compulsivetech.biz
figured I'd bump this thread as I have a slate 7 and I'm trying to get the thing to recognize my usb disk drive. Currently I'm having no luck.

I've tried plugging the usb drive directly into the slate as well as into a powered usb hub and nothing seems to make the device see the usb drive.

The hub is good because the usb keyboard I'm using allows me to navigate the bios with the keys and what not but when I go to the boot menu, where it says usb cd drive it just says ":None" and only lists the internal hdd.

this has worked just fine with several other types of tablets but this samsung is the first to simply not recognize the drive at all. Bios settings are all factory default BTW.

Any ideas?

First I recommend you remove the stick from any device and only plugged straight in the stick.

Also, did you create the USB Stick with the Microsoft USB Stick Creator? If not, try it and also let me know what you used previously.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A lot of people have asked me in the past, how can I use my Samsung Series 7 Slate to run the latest Windows 8 (originally Dev Preview when I first released this) and actually I have been seeing it more often that people can't figure out how to get it on their Slate...

With that being said, I recommend you visit my updated post on my Blog that reflects Windows 8 RC here install & my blog contains other Windows 8 (and WP7) related content if you're bored. Otherwise to save you time, below is the steps/full blog post and a video created (This is my video from my YouTube Channel "TechMeShow", I permit the video being here) regarding making the USB Stick, which is old news but still people continue to ask and really get hundreds of views due to Google Searches.

ISO US-ENGLISH DOWNLOADS

OR

2). Grab the Microsoft USB Disc Creator ('Should' use a USB Stick + Available USB Slot)

3). After you use the Disc Creator, pop in the USB Stick to your computer and DO NOT RUN INSTALL ON WINDOWS 7 (We want it on a Tablet/Slate, remember?).

4). Now, reboot the tablet/slate, hit the Home Screen button only 1 time (give it a moment, don't rush, it'll happen) and select the USB Stick
    Tip: To navigate up and down, select the left (or varies on device) Up/Down Volume Control and once selected, press the "Screen Lock".

If you already knew all of this, terrific. However, again and not to brag, when I get at least 200 daily visits because people can't figure out how to install Windows 8 <edition here> on a Tablet/Slate (yes pretty easy), I thought why not post it here because obviously not enough people are getting it.
    Great tutorial :)
    I Will try it now!!
    This is the key for 32 bits Windows 8: DNJXJ-7XBW8-2378T-X22TX-BKG7J

ISO US-ENGLISH DOWNLOADS

OR

sory Im trying to download the 32bit iso but IM bumping into insider program when i click the provided links