[Game][2.1+] Musikr v2.1 - Take "Music Quizes" to the next level

Search This thread

moikop

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 5, 2010
Buenos Aires
News! version 2.1 released with some bugfixes. Changelog:
  • Function to Include/Exclude folders now working.
  • Added vibration option Fwhen time is up in Arcade and Challenge modes.
  • Back button killing app on level selection screen problem fixed.
  • Option to toggle transition effect added.

2.0 Changelog:
*Whole GUI redone from scratch!
*Tablet support added
*Internal code improved, some bugs solved
*Song random start point option added for all modes
*Bunch of other stuff done long ago and forgotten...

Hey all. This is a little game I've done for Android, hope you enjoy it :D

With Musikr, take the classic "Music Quiz" to another level!
You'll have to test your knoledge about music. It will randomly pick a song out of your local music repertoire, play it, and put it on a list along with 4 songs selected randomly as well.
Since version 2.0, it (in theory -> in AVD's seem to be fine :p) supports all kinds of screens. You will need to have at least 5 songs in your local library. Also, it has support for two languajes: English and Spanish :p

Musikr has 3 game modes:

splash.png
main_menu.png

Free Mode
This is the simplest mode of the whole game. We'll only have a hits, failure and score counters. If you hit, you'll win one point. And if you fail, you'll lose one. As easy as that!

free_mode.png
free_mode_options.png

Arcade Mode
The arcade mode is similar to the free mode. It just adds a stopwatch to see how long it takes for you to select an answer. This mode has 5 diferent levels:
  • Super Easy
  • Easy
  • Medium
  • Difficult
  • Impossible
Each one has a diferent time limit. If you guess correctly inside the limit, you'll win a point. If you guess but it takes you too long to answer, nothing will happen. But if you fail, no matter how long it takes you, you'll lose one point.

arcade_mode.png

Challenge Mode
This is the most "complicated" game mode. In this mode will add lifes (5 at start), and a new value called "Next", which indicates how many songs you have to guess correctly so to win a life. It's initial value is 10, and it will decrease each time you make a hit (regardless time). But it will go back to 10 if you miss one. Just as Arcade Mode, this one has 5 levels too.

challenge_mode.png

Level - Time limit table:

Level - Time Limit (Seconds)
Super Easy - 15
Easy - 10
Medium - 7
Difficult - 5
Impossible - 3

Options
In the selection (mode or level) menu, you are able to enter preferences. In which you'll see the following options:

• File Selection Options: This will help us if we have some sounds in our memories, which we don't won't to be on the list.
  • Folder to skip: If selected, it will include all songs in the memory EXCEPT the ones inside the folder specified.
  • Folder to include: If selected, it will ONLY INCLUDE songs inside the specified folder.
Note 1: If you select both options at the same time, they will cancel themselves and you'll have the same result as if you had selected anything.
Note 2: So that you don't have to type the whole path to the folder, you only have to type a string and Musikr will compare it with the path to any file. And if any part of any songs path matches with the string, it will just pass over it, or add it to the list.
For example, if you have a song called "/sdcard/Metallica - Nothing Else Matters.mp3" and a folder called "/sdcard/Meta", and your string is "Meta", it will skip/include both, the folder and the song.

• Splash Options:
  • Show (or not) initial Splash: Will let you select whether you want or not to see an initial Splash.
  • Change default splash for Musikr's one: By default in this version, you'll see a "Scenery Beta 2011" splash (a little homebrew competition Musikr is in). If you check this option, you'll see Musikr's original splash (which will be seen in future versions by default).
  • Information:
  • Version information, this doesn't need explanation at all xD.

preferences.png

I'm completely open to ideas, critics, feedback, etc. Any question, suggestion or comment you may have please post, don't be shy! :p

Attachments

• Musikr_v1.0_signed.apk
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,375
  • Musikr_2.0_signed.apk
    1.4 MB · Views: 487
  • Musikr_2.1_signed.apk
    1.4 MB · Views: 335
Last edited:

jazux

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 23, 2010
helsinki
thanks! this is just the game i was looking :) going to test it on my SG3 and asus Transformer (tablet)

too bad that all of my songs are on my Transformer :p but i think i will move couple of hundred to my phone so i can test this ;) great work :)

Sine.

Nice game idea!

I've test on my HP TouchPad, it works on tablet :D
Some adjustments will be needed as you can see in the screenshot below (the clicks on the song titles are correctly accepted), but it's kinda playable :)

2011.11.30-21.45.36.jpeg

I've encountered one bug (?) while trying to do the screenshot : I've clicked on home and was sent to home, but the music didn't stop. Nothing visible in the task manager, and a restart of a new game didn't stop the song.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

BTW, your app made it to the portal today!

Last edited:
Reactions: moikop

XzinteR

Aug 19, 2011
I'm using Google Music so all my music is located in "sdcard/android/data/com.Google.android.music/cache/music"
How do I get it to find these files?

moikop

Dec 5, 2010
Buenos Aires
Nice game idea!

Some adjustments will be needed as you can see in the screenshot below (the clicks on the song titles are correctly accepted), but it's playable :)
Yes, it works. But as I haven't defined a layout for screens bigger than HDPI, it shows everything out of place. In next version I'll add support :)
I've encountered one bug (?) while trying to do the screenshot : I've clicked on home and was sent to home, but the music didn't stop. Nothing visible in the task manager, and a restart of a new game didn't stop the song.

I'll look into it, thanks!

I'm using Google Music so all my music is located in "sdcard/android/data/com.Google.android.music/cache/music"
How do I get it to find these files?

This game uses Android media database to collect songs. But I'll see what I can do for next version.

Felimenta97

Aug 5, 2011
Ribeirão Preto
It says application not installed.

If changes somethings, Xperia X10 Mini Pro, unoficial CM7, Droid 2.3.7.

Any chances of upload to Android Market?

Sent using Mini CM7 Pro by Paul

moikop

Dec 5, 2010
Buenos Aires
It says application not installed.
If changes somethings, Xperia X10 Mini Pro, unoficial CM7, Droid 2.3.7.
Would you be able to install it through adb? If not, no problem.. I'll try to reach someone else :)
Any chances of upload to Android Market?
mmm.. not for now. Still 'saving' to pay the fee :rolleyes:
Please feel free to ask if you need logcat or else :)
Thanks for the support, really appreciate it! :D

Felimenta97

Aug 5, 2011
Ribeirão Preto
Would you be able to install it through adb? If not, no problem.. I'll try to reach someone else :)

I don't know how to use adb, I am so noob '-' Sorry.

When it get to the Market, I install it, just let me know it. I still don't have ideia why it don't installed...

I am looking forward to see it in Market, if the app works the way I think it will work, be sure to give it 5 stars.

Sorry for english, btw

PersianSphinx

Aug 23, 2011
London
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
great game

great game, the only problem i think it may have is that the buttons were to small and so hard to press on my samsung galaxy 3, aka galaxy apolllo, ig5800, so i kept pressing the right answer and getting te failed! response :p
love the app tho :)

moikop

Dec 5, 2010
Buenos Aires
great game, the only problem i think it may have is that the buttons were to small and so hard to press on my samsung galaxy 3, aka galaxy apolllo, ig5800, so i kept pressing the right answer and getting te failed! response :p

I designed it in my own G3 and I think that they're ok. But I'll make the buttons a little bigger. Thanks for feedback :)

When it get to the Market, I install it, just let me know it. I still don't have ideia why it don't installed...

I'll see what I can do about your problem ;)

Reactions: PersianSphinx

xxProphecyxx

Nov 1, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
Love the game, great concept. Only bug I have found is on all game types [classic, arcade, and challenge] when questions come up, music doesn't always play. Since I don't know what song it is, hit a random button and it goes to next question. So, sometimes the music for a question plays and sometimes it doesn't.

Great job though, it is a great start!

And below are the phones I am running it on.

PersianSphinx

Aug 23, 2011
London
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Love the game, great concept. Only bug I have found is on all game types [classic, arcade, and challenge] when questions come up, music doesn't always play. Since I don't know what song it is, hit a random button and it goes to next question. So, sometimes the music for a question plays and sometimes it doesn't.

I also had this problem, but i think here the problem is that the app starts the music from the very start and theres a small silence or too little volume before the actual song starts and the machine starts playing the song... so the problem is our music :)) it would be nice to have the app start the music from the seconds 20 onward though :D

mcmb03

Feb 24, 2011
awesome game man. you should add some highscore lists or something like achievements

angelus_muc

Sep 11, 2009
First of all: great game, I really like the idea!

I am not sure but I think in Challenge Mode you will also get points if you exceed the time limit. As I understood it it shall be +1 if you guessed in time, 0 if you guessed but out of time and -1 if you failed....

Thanks again, I am playing meanwhile for 2 hours on my A501 (it works with the stretch option of honeycomb 3.2).

Chris

teorouge

Jul 29, 2008
Trento
Hello! Please just add proper support for higher-than-WVGA screens (I read it's in progress), I just love your game core, seriously. Thanks for the app! :)

moikop

Dec 5, 2010
Buenos Aires
awesome game man. you should add some highscore lists or something like achievements
Thank you :)
It has some kind of highscore system for each game mode. But I plan to enhance it and make it more 'graphical' and user friendly.

First of all: great game, I really like the idea!

I am not sure but I think in Challenge Mode you will also get points if you exceed the time limit. As I understood it it shall be +1 if you guessed in time, 0 if you guessed but out of time and -1 if you failed....

Thanks again, I am playing meanwhile for 2 hours on my A501 (it works with the stretch option of honeycomb 3.2).

Chris
I'll check it out, thanks.

Hello! Please just add proper support for higher-than-WVGA screens (I read it's in progress), I just love your game core, seriously. Thanks for the app! :)
I will add it soon. But before adding anything I want to haunt all the bugs down.

Thanks for the support guys! :D

Reactions: kulparsan

Thundphoenix

Jan 9, 2011
Best game ever. Although having half of your lib being Japanese song with Japanese name-tag makes it extremely difficult :\

moikop

Dec 5, 2010
Buenos Aires

Today I had some spare time, and did some clean up. Solved the bug you mention, the one angelus mentions, and also improved the way the game handles music playback :)
Next thing to do: see if I can make the song start from a random point; add support for tablet screens

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    News! version 2.1 released with some bugfixes. Changelog:
    • Function to Include/Exclude folders now working.
    • Added vibration option Fwhen time is up in Arcade and Challenge modes.
    • Back button killing app on level selection screen problem fixed.
    • Option to toggle transition effect added.

2.0 Changelog:
    *Whole GUI redone from scratch!
    *Tablet support added
    *Internal code improved, some bugs solved
    *Song random start point option added for all modes
    *Bunch of other stuff done long ago and forgotten...

Hey all. This is a little game I've done for Android, hope you enjoy it :D

With Musikr, take the classic "Music Quiz" to another level!
    You'll have to test your knoledge about music. It will randomly pick a song out of your local music repertoire, play it, and put it on a list along with 4 songs selected randomly as well.
    Since version 2.0, it (in theory -> in AVD's seem to be fine :p) supports all kinds of screens. You will need to have at least 5 songs in your local library. Also, it has support for two languajes: English and Spanish :p

Musikr has 3 game modes:

splash.png
    main_menu.png

Free Mode
    This is the simplest mode of the whole game. We'll only have a hits, failure and score counters. If you hit, you'll win one point. And if you fail, you'll lose one. As easy as that!

free_mode.png
    free_mode_options.png

Arcade Mode
    The arcade mode is similar to the free mode. It just adds a stopwatch to see how long it takes for you to select an answer. This mode has 5 diferent levels:
    • Super Easy
    • Easy
    • Medium
    • Difficult
    • Impossible
    Each one has a diferent time limit. If you guess correctly inside the limit, you'll win a point. If you guess but it takes you too long to answer, nothing will happen. But if you fail, no matter how long it takes you, you'll lose one point.

arcade_mode.png

Challenge Mode
    This is the most "complicated" game mode. In this mode will add lifes (5 at start), and a new value called "Next", which indicates how many songs you have to guess correctly so to win a life. It's initial value is 10, and it will decrease each time you make a hit (regardless time). But it will go back to 10 if you miss one. Just as Arcade Mode, this one has 5 levels too.

challenge_mode.png

Level - Time limit table:

Level - Time Limit (Seconds)
    Super Easy - 15
    Easy - 10
    Medium - 7
    Difficult - 5
    Impossible - 3

Options
    In the selection (mode or level) menu, you are able to enter preferences. In which you'll see the following options:

• File Selection Options: This will help us if we have some sounds in our memories, which we don't won't to be on the list.
    • Folder to skip: If selected, it will include all songs in the memory EXCEPT the ones inside the folder specified.
    • Folder to include: If selected, it will ONLY INCLUDE songs inside the specified folder.
    Note 1: If you select both options at the same time, they will cancel themselves and you'll have the same result as if you had selected anything.
    Note 2: So that you don't have to type the whole path to the folder, you only have to type a string and Musikr will compare it with the path to any file. And if any part of any songs path matches with the string, it will just pass over it, or add it to the list.
    For example, if you have a song called "/sdcard/Metallica - Nothing Else Matters.mp3" and a folder called "/sdcard/Meta", and your string is "Meta", it will skip/include both, the folder and the song.

• Splash Options:
    • Show (or not) initial Splash: Will let you select whether you want or not to see an initial Splash.
    • Change default splash for Musikr's one: By default in this version, you'll see a "Scenery Beta 2011" splash (a little homebrew competition Musikr is in). If you check this option, you'll see Musikr's original splash (which will be seen in future versions by default).
    • Information:
    • Version information, this doesn't need explanation at all xD.

preferences.png

I'm completely open to ideas, critics, feedback, etc. Any question, suggestion or comment you may have please post, don't be shy! :p

Today I had some spare time, and did some clean up. Solved the bug you mention, the one angelus mentions, and also improved the way the game handles music playback :)
    Next thing to do: see if I can make the song start from a random point; add support for tablet screens
    This is a really really fun game. I play every few hours when i'm bored :D. I just have a few suggestions if they are possible to implement.

• If in the proper modes, the time limit is reached, enable vibration and/or play a beep/fail sound and go to next question.
    Noted. Shall be easy to implement.

• Change "Score" to "Total" and create a "Longest Run" or something like that where it records the most you got right in one run without a fail. Not the whole time from when you pressed "play" to "stop".
    I don't assure you this will be implemented(Not because I can't), but I'll look into it.

• Create "Online Leaderboards/Highscores" and/or "Personal Records". Make them all one one screen but with buttons. Maybe online scores is just too much?

_____________<Own>______________<Online> .
    ___<Free Mode>___<Arcade Mode>___<Challenge mode> .
    __<Super Easy>__<Easy>__<Medium>__<Difficult>__<Impossible> .

Rank________Player_________Score
    1.__________XXX___________XXX
    2.__________XXX___________XXX
    Not too much, but just not a priority right now.

• Make "Hits" and "Failed" count more noticable.
    What do you mean? I think it's fine (maybe a little bigger font wouldn't hurt).

• Choice for Fade out transition + Duration/XXX/None.
    Noted, will be implemented.

• When playing and press button ask for confirmation to exit.
    Will check it out.

Also when you select a mode, if you press the back button it exits the app instead of taking you back to then game mode selection screen as would be more logical.
    Yeah, I noticed that yesterday. Will look into it.

Thanks for the feedback!

Before you go too far is there anything on my end that I could be doing wrong? Sadly I've dicovered that far too many issues occur somwhere between the device and the chair.
    I think there is in fact a bug there. Working it out right now.
    Edit: Spauldio, you were right. I caught the bug and fixed it. Will add a couple of things and shall release a new version shortly.
    Nice game idea!

Some adjustments will be needed as you can see in the screenshot below (the clicks on the song titles are correctly accepted), but it's kinda playable :)

2011.11.30-21.45.36.jpeg

BTW, your app made it to the portal today!

I designed it in my own G3 and I think that they're ok. But I'll make the buttons a little bigger. Thanks for feedback :)

I'll see what I can do about your problem ;)