[GUIDE] How to flash a dead Lumia 800 RM-801

Search This thread

bypx

May 5, 2009
Varese
Tried today to debrand my Vodafone italy Lumia 800... the flashing with Nokia Care Suite stops at 50% and the phone stuck in flash mode.

The last Nokia Care Suite (2011.51.2.63048) can't flash RM-801 in dead mode so i shat my pants.

Reading the care suite docs carefully i've found this:

Code:
Recovery Flashing enabled for RM-817

So after few tries i've found the right way:

Create a RM-817 dir under \Products folder, like this:

then copy RM-801 firmware files in RM-817 folder:

Now open the Care Suite and select the right model (RM-817):

Select Recovery:

Select the correct flash file, remember to use always the latest version, check on "Data package manager" for updated firmwares.

follow the instructions on screen:

When you are ready connect the phone holding the volume up button and let the care suite do his job:

After few minutes:

Briefcase

Nov 10, 2009
Good find!

Can you read your product code after this recovery procedure? Maybe with this procedure it actually gets changed to the debranded product code. Thanks for checking.

Briefcase

Nov 10, 2009
Yes, it changes because if I select "Refurbish" the nokia care suite automatically selects the unbranded firmware.

Are you sure? So it selects the unbranded firmware [which you didn't rename to fit your branded product code]?

If so then you have just found a way to truly debrand the Lumia 800 because with the refurbish option it won't change the product code. That's why for refurbish flashing you needed to rename the files.

With the product code changed your device is just like an original debranded phone, so it should be updateable using Zune without a problem (this may have been a problem with the previous method).

Nice!

bypx

May 5, 2009
Varese
Are you sure? So it selects the unbranded firmware [which you didn't rename to fit your branded product code]?

If so then you have just found a way to truly debrand the Lumia 800 because with the refurbish option it won't change the product code. That's why for refurbish flashing you needed to rename the files.

With the product code changed your device is just like an original debranded phone, so it should be updateable using Zune without a problem (this may have been a problem with the previous method).

Nice!

As you can see, the firmware in the RM-8XX folder have product code 059L820 (RM-801_CV_IT_SWU204940_Black_v2)

The phone originally was 059L705 (RM-801 Vodafone IT IT VAR204289 black V3)

Reactions: Briefcase

bypx

May 5, 2009
Varese
Oh sh1t syvakma1 is right. I've installed nokia care suite in virtualbox (@home i'm on a mac) and the product code is the Vodafone's one. Dunno why "Refurbish" worked with no brand firmware :confused:

filippino

Jul 12, 2005
sorry but i can't flash using care suite...
i have grayed the function "recovery"
if I go on "multi software updater" i see RM-801 not supported...

whyyyy ??!?!?!?!??

thanx to everybody

mdajansen

Dec 6, 2006
Thanks to this method I managed to restore my UK T-Mobile Lumia 800.

Flash failed trying to refurbish original T-mobile black rom (updated via Zune to .1500) RM-801_059L7H0_1600.2475.7720.11414 with Nokia UK black RM801_059L7C2_1600.2483.8107.11501.

Didn't capture the error, but it complained about something already being on the phone..

mobilelord

Nov 20, 2006
i cant get past the part where you have to unplug the phone, power off, plug in again and power on with volume up... do you have to continue pressing the button till the phone vibrate? i don't get it...
my intention is to get rid of the demo content...

Last edited:

fletcher1989

Jan 31, 2012
Irvine
What is the need for debranded firmware? Sorry if that sounds dumb, however im new to this whole scene. Been in iOS for ages so time to start learning.

_Madmatt

Jul 3, 2009
What is the need for debranded firmware? Sorry if that sounds dumb, however im new to this whole scene. Been in iOS for ages so time to start learning.

To use your phone on another carrier, or to get updates faster. Because if your phone is branded by let's say T-Mobile, you have to wait untill they push an update. Eventually every carrier has to push an update (so it's not like on Android) but with a debranded phone you're just sure you get it when it's released and not months later. Last advantage: you don't get all the crappy apps that carriers include :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tried today to debrand my Vodafone italy Lumia 800... the flashing with Nokia Care Suite stops at 50% and the phone stuck in flash mode.

The last Nokia Care Suite (2011.51.2.63048) can't flash RM-801 in dead mode so i shat my pants.

Reading the care suite docs carefully i've found this:

Code:
    Recovery Flashing enabled for RM-817

So after few tries i've found the right way:

Create a RM-817 dir under \Products folder, like this:

then copy RM-801 firmware files in RM-817 folder:

Now open the Care Suite and select the right model (RM-817):

Select Recovery:

Select the correct flash file, remember to use always the latest version, check on "Data package manager" for updated firmwares.

follow the instructions on screen:

When you are ready connect the phone holding the volume up button and let the care suite do his job:

After few minutes:

Good find!

Can you read your product code after this recovery procedure? Maybe with this procedure it actually gets changed to the debranded product code. Thanks for checking.

Yes, it changes because if I select "Refurbish" the nokia care suite automatically selects the unbranded firmware.

Nice!

As you can see, the firmware in the RM-8XX folder have product code 059L820 (RM-801_CV_IT_SWU204940_Black_v2)

The phone originally was 059L705 (RM-801 Vodafone IT IT VAR204289 black V3)
    Then I think you deserve a Nobel Prize my dear friend. :D

the proof of original product code :D

I made video tutorial and also downgrade is possible!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iudpmTs8Le0