[fastboot] stock 6.2.1 fastboot mode without rooting or cables

Search This thread
Mar 3, 2010
Montreal
Bricked??

Hi, I followed your instructions and installed fbmode. After rebooting, all I get is a triangle (of death) and no response from PC. I'm still in Fastboot Mode (I think) but it's not accepting anything from PC.
Any ideas?

All fixed...it was a problem with pc drivers
Thanks

Last edited:

b63

Dec 8, 2011
it's a good practice to put all files to work with in the folder where adb.exe and fastboot.exe is located
if you run your commands from the tools folder of kfu then this would be the folder to locate the files
if you use the sdk then the platform-tools folder would be the right place

frettfreak

Jan 19, 2010
Apple Valley, CA
ok.. need some help.. i have googled my ASS off and cannot find anything to help!!!

I am stuck in fbmode!!! I am on win764, have my sdk, fastboot and kindle drivers installed. they were all working before i booted to FB mode (was recognized as a kindle fire in device manager). This is not my first time using adb or fastboot. I have been around a little bit and had 4 android devices all rooted previous to this.. however, i am STUCK!! Fastboot works when i plug in either of my 2 phones as well.

I followed the instructions in the OP. after i did this:

unzip fbmode.zip

adb push fbmode /data/local/fbmode
adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/fbmode
adb shell /data/local/fbmode
adb reboot

now, as the post says, my kindle is in fastboot, but all it says is unknown device in device manager and it wont take any driver that i point it too. previous to going into fbmode, the drivers were loaded and it was recognized as a kindle. Now, obviously, because there are "no drivers installed" i cant do anything (all it says is waiting for device).

How do i get out of FB mode? or better yet.. finish rooting this damn thing. PLEASE HELP!! I am googled out and just need help.

As a side note, i also have Ubuntu on this machine and can boot to that if needed.

Last edited:

kinfauns

Retired Senior Moderator and Retired DC Lead
Jan 5, 2012
ok.. need some help.. i have googled my ASS off and cannot find anything to help!!!

I am stuck in fbmode!!! I am on win764, have my sdk, fastboot and kindle drivers installed. they were all working before i booted to FB mode (was recognized as a kindle fire in device manager). This is not my first time using adb or fastboot. I have been around a little bit and had 4 android devices all rooted previous to this.. however, i am STUCK!! Fastboot works when i plug in either of my 2 phones as well.

I followed the instructions in the OP. after i did this:

unzip fbmode.zip

adb push fbmode /data/local/fbmode
adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/fbmode
adb shell /data/local/fbmode
adb reboot

now, as the post says, my kindle is in fastboot, but all it says is unknown device in device manager and it wont take any driver that i point it too. previous to going into fbmode, the drivers were loaded and it was recognized as a kindle. Now, obviously, because there are "no drivers installed" i cant do anything (all it says is waiting for device).

How do i get out of FB mode? or better yet.. finish rooting this damn thing. PLEASE HELP!! I am googled out and just need help.

As a side note, i also have Ubuntu on this machine and can boot to that if needed.

Please don't crosspost your questions.

The only way to get out of fastboot mode is to use fastboot to change the bootmode directly or to "fastboot boot" into something that you can access with adb. Both of these options require you to have the ability to issue fastboot commands to the device. If you are on Windows, you are going to have to fix your device driver situation. You might have better luck with Ubuntu if Windows drivers are giving you problems. You can also try out Firekit (search for it) by pokey9000.

EDIT: Try this to fix your Windows drivers...

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23747671&postcount=2

Last edited:

dangamit

Oct 30, 2009
My Kindle fire is stuck after executing fbmode & a reboot and my windows 7 machine is not able to detect the device. It is shown as unknown device.
It seems that lot of people have already faced the similar issue, any solutions?

duvious

Dec 3, 2010
I tried this and it stopped the boot looping but stuck on the Boot Logo. I used the unbrick method and it went back to boot looping. I have restored my KF several times in the past but this one has really stumped me. I have never had this problem. Are there any other solutions out there?

drewX2

Feb 28, 2006
San Diego
Kindle stuck at boot logo now also. Anyone figure out how to fix this prob? Kindle just shows up as unknown under USB devices now. Also tried fastbooting/adb from mac osx. No dice. I am new to rooting Kindles, however I would consider myself an advanced user when it comes to every other device...that being said, if this requires physically opening it up, changing OS, whatever, just point me in the right direction and I'll be on my way.

Last edited:

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
Install teamviewer and pm me numbers I will assist you with some holiday cheer preferably windows 7 I'm not a Mac guy never will be.

Reactions: drewX2

HD Brian

Dec 12, 2012
Kansas City
hello
thanks for your help
but it doensn't work for me
i booted the KF with the standard usb cable to use ADB
but refused this line : "adb shell /data/local/tmp/fbmode"
and impossible to go further
thanks if you have an idear
jluc

I am getting stuck at the same point.
C:\Users\Embret\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell /data/local/tmp/fbmode
fail opening shift: No such file or directory
Is this something Amazon has blocked in an update?
Can anyone confirm that this is still working with a fully updated original Kindle Fire?

aznchillin

Sep 1, 2009
I am getting stuck at the same point.
C:\Users\Embret\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell /data/local/tmp/fbmode
fail opening shift: No such file or directory
Is this something Amazon has blocked in an update?
Can anyone confirm that this is still working with a fully updated original Kindle Fire?

I have the same problem... any luck?

you got to put fbmode in the same directory where your adb.exe is

Nnyan

Aug 24, 2010
Sacramento
I've pushed it (adb push fbmode /data/local/tmp) and it seems to have copied it just fine but when I try to "adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/fbmode" I get

unable to chmod /data/local/tmp/fbmode: Not a Directory.

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
I've pushed it (adb push fbmode /data/local/tmp) and it seems to have copied it just fine but when I try to "adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/fbmode" I get

unable to chmod /data/local/tmp/fbmode: Not a Directory.
Odd. Two things...

1) What software version are you running?

2) What is the output of 'adb shell ls /data/local/tmp' after pushing fbmode?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All you need is working adb and fastboot on your PC.

Just like doing "idme bootmode 4002" in 6.2 but working in 6.2.1.

Download the attached fbmode.zip and run:

Code:
    adb push fbmode /data/local/tmp
    adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/fbmode
    adb shell /data/local/tmp/fbmode
    adb reboot

Then follow instructions to flash TWRP or whatever.

Experimental Version 0.9: includes nbmode for setting normal boot (4000) and rcmode for setting recovery boot (5000). Untested, PM me if there's a problem.
    Thanks a ton! This works great! Any chance you're willing to release the source code to this?

No, I'm hoping to make it a little harder for Amazon to close this up. That said, you could recreate this very quickly from an strace.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using xda premium
    done that. device reboot and then pc show device as "unknown".
    tried to install recovery no good. device not found.
    only after "reboot normal" the pc find the device but then its like before: abdb cannot ......
    please help

Sounds like you have a problem with fastboot on your PC. Search in General, there are a bunch of threads on this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using xda premium
    We are in the same situation. Without a working shell we are screwed. If only we could execute this without calling adb shell, but i think that´s impossible. Try to buy/build a factory cable to boot in fastboot. I´m still waiting for the pieces to build mine, will report when done.

Factory cable is probably your best route, though if you don't mind opening your Fire you could do this instead: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1405052&highlight=rekindle which will get you TWRP and FFF installed. Instead of using the FFF included (u-boot.bin) you should get the newer 1.1 release and run "fastboot oem format" before running "fastboot boot..." to put your partitions back to normal.
    Install teamviewer and pm me numbers I will assist you with some holiday cheer preferably windows 7 I'm not a Mac guy never will be.