Nexus 4 (4.4.2) not mounting after unlocking bootloader

Search This thread

wasabitobiko

Apr 11, 2011
Nexus 4 running 4.4.2 bootloader version MAKOZ30d

I used Wug's root toolkit to unlock my bootloader but after reboot into fastboot, neither my windows 7 machine nor my linux mint machine will mount the phone without MTP turned on. I can run adb commands while MTP is on but drivers fail to load if mtp is off.. So now I have an unlocked bootloader and am unable to complete the rooting proces..

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers!

ttheodorou

Apr 7, 2010
go to settings/storage open 3dots menu /usb computer connection. if nothing is selected that is why your phone doesn't connect. select mtp an problem solved.

if it's not that i cannot help you except suggesting to reinstall android from scratch using wug toolkit.

Reactions: wasabitobiko

acejavelin

Inactive Recognized Contributor

I used Wug's root toolkit to unlock my bootloader but after reboot into fastboot, neither my windows 7 machine nor my linux mint machine will mount the phone without MTP turned on. I can run adb commands while MTP is on but drivers fail to load if mtp is off.. So now I have an unlocked bootloader and am unable to complete the rooting proces..

Cheers!
You can't "mount storage" in Fastboot mode.... what exactly are you trying to do?

Reactions: wasabitobiko

wasabitobiko

Apr 11, 2011
You can't "mount storage" in Fastboot mode.... what exactly are you trying to do?

Trying to finish the rooting process by using adb.. by "mount" I mean get access in fastboot from either of my computers. Didn't have this problem with my other N4.. when I plug the phone into my computer while in fastboot and try any adb commands.. I get <waiting for device> nothing... It seems like the adb drivers aren't loading while in fastboot. I'll try to back things out using the toolkit again..

acejavelin

Trying to finish the rooting process by using adb.. by "mount" I mean get access in fastboot from either of my computers. Didn't have this problem with my other N4.. when I plug the phone into my computer while in fastboot and try any adb commands.. I get <waiting for device> nothing... It seems like the adb drivers aren't loading while in fastboot. I'll try to back things out using the toolkit again..
OK, so your fastboot commands are not working, that would likely be a driver issue? If you do
Code:
fastboot devices
and get a result, then keep going, if you don't, use one of the driver options in Wugfresh's toolkit, follow the instructions TO THE LETTER...

If you are just trying to get root and are unlocked, download the latest SuperSU.zip (to your phone preferably) from http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu and openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.0-mako.img then start phone in Fastboot mode and enter:

Code:
fastboot boot openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.0-mako.img

this will start TWRP on your device WITHOUT flashing it.

If the SuperSU zip file is on your phone, just use TWRP's Install button and navigate the file and flash it, then reboot and enjoy.

If the SuperSU zip is on your PC, then in TWRP go to Advanced, and start ADB Sideload, give it a few seconds for it to be recognized by your PC, you should be able to enter
Code:
adb devices
and get a result of SIDELOAD back, then enter:

Code:
adb sideload UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.94.zip

Or whatever the current SuperSU zip file is named. Then reboot and enjoy, your rooted!

Last edited:

Oxious119

Apr 18, 2013
Remember that adb commands only work in android and custom recovery NOT in fastboot mode.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app

wasabitobiko

Apr 11, 2011
Ok.. If I can't run adb commands from fastboot, how do I enter that command in fastboot?

acejavelin

Ok.. If I can't run adb commands from fastboot, how do I enter that command in fastboot?

ADB sideload is a special mode that recovery can be placed into, it only allows the "sideload" command to be used. Fastboot is different, it uses the fastboot.exe program and fastboot mode on the android device to allow a limited list of features to be used.

I don't know what you are using for a rooting guide, but basically the end result is to flash SuperSU via recovery, that is all that is really needed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Oxious119

Apr 18, 2013
Well, basically if your boot loader is unlocked and you have a custom recovery installed just download the latest superSU zip to your SD card. Reboot into recovery, install SuperSU, reboot. Alas, you're rooted.

wasabitobiko

Apr 11, 2011
That's the problem.. No custom recovery installed.. Still working on the driver issue.

DrFredPhD

Oct 30, 2010
That's the problem.. No custom recovery installed.. Still working on the driver issue.

If you unlocked your bootloader your drivers should be working fine. If you rebooted your phone now you'd see it works fine. Next step in rooting is to flash custom recovery. Download a custom recovery, I recommend latest version of TWRP, then flash the recovery image. 'fastboot flash recovery recovery.img' (replace recovery.img with whatever .img file you are flashing.

Once custom recovery is installed you can boot into it to flash supersu. If using TWRP it will prompt you to root when you reboot it.

wasabitobiko

Apr 11, 2011
Thanks.. And please don't take offense to this but re-read the thread. Ever since I used wug's rootkit to unlock the bootloader, neither my pc nor linux machine will recognize the Nexus 4. When I plug it in I get a usb error "device failed to load".. When I look at the device mgr it's listed as unknown device. Btw.. I've restarted both my phone and machine multiple times to no avail.

Last edited:

Oxious119

Apr 18, 2013
Unknown device? Youve probably installed no or wrong fastboot drivers.

wasabitobiko

Apr 11, 2011
UPDATE: It looks like the micro usb port on the phone is fried... had been charging fine until today. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all the help. Does anyone know if this is a relatively easy fix?

wasabitobiko

Apr 11, 2011
Update: Fixed..

Replacing the usb port on the Nexus 4 is super easy. Thanks for the help guys. Everything's working and root has been achieved.

Reactions: acejavelin

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    go to settings/storage open 3dots menu /usb computer connection. if nothing is selected that is why your phone doesn't connect. select mtp an problem solved.

if it's not that i cannot help you except suggesting to reinstall android from scratch using wug toolkit.

Cheers!
    Update: Fixed..

Replacing the usb port on the Nexus 4 is super easy. Thanks for the help guys. Everything's working and root has been achieved.