Mer Linux Port

Search This thread

JesusFreak316

Aug 19, 2009
Tried it. Didn't work, lol. Well I give up for now; I'm just clogging up the thread. If anyone really wants to help me pm me or get on #htc-linux or #mer to chat. What would be really nice is a .img file of your sd card with mer workingthat I could flash to my card. hint hint. :) Usb image tool is a great program for creating and restoring img files from a memory card.

I have one request that I'm adding to the original post: a rootfs .img file similar to how XDANDROID does it for people too lazy to partition their card or just plain suck like me. :p How hard would that be? If someone could point me to a tutorial I'll try it myself. I'll google it anyways.

gamikzone

Jun 15, 2008
Somewhere In Ohio
Tried it. Didn't work, lol. Well I give up for now; I'm just clogging up the thread. If anyone really wants to help me pm me or get on #htc-linux or #mer to chat. What would be really nice is a .img file of your sd card with mer workingthat I could flash to my card. hint hint. :) Usb image tool is a great program for creating and restoring img files from a memory card.

I have one request that I'm adding to the original post: a rootfs .img file similar to how XDANDROID does it for people too lazy to partition their card or just plain suck like me. :p How hard would that be? If someone could point me to a tutorial I'll try it myself. I'll google it anyways.
I would really like 2 see symbian s60v5 i miss my nokia 5800 lol, but gd job trying 2 port linux maybe if this device was 480x800 it would be easier cuz maemo and some android devices use that resolution.

JesusFreak316

Aug 19, 2009
Thanks. I wish the screen was 800x480 too for several reasons. However, I thought that the open source symbian didn't support touchscreens though. I just heard about it on Engadget so I don't know that much.

gamikzone

Jun 15, 2008
Somewhere In Ohio
Thanks. I wish the screen was 800x480 too for several reasons. However, I thought that the open source symbian didn't support touchscreens though. I just heard about it on Engadget so I don't know that much.
yea i also saw it there yesterday i checked the symbian site they said all of symbian is open source now, so i dont know also and if it was only 3rd u could possibly do a port but its a good thing that the tp has a keypad but that would be a wast of time :D.

Kangal

Jan 3, 2006
Dear fellow internet geeks
Please focus on getting Mer to work on HTC Touch Pro.
That would be a decent N900 alternative, and much cheaper.
And it would mean I wont have to wait another 5months for the N900 to become available (Aust)

Where the hell is mdrobnak with his tutorial & mer ROM?!!?!
Sorry for offending you geeks, its just my sense of humour, as I once were a humble geek

The only MAJOR improvements to Touch Pro i wish was made:
1) could have increased screen size + pixels to 800x480!!!!
2) could have used A8 instead of old A11, but i can get over it if OS is sexy.
3) they used WinMo: wtf i NEED Maemo5!!!
Seen the evolution of WinMo over many years, now own iPhone + playing with N97.
Wow Symbian has come a long way, longer than WinMo.
OSX is a beast except no multi-tasking = fail!

Why am I posting: I just gotta have a smartphone with slide qwerty, and a really good one without paying AU$900 (ie N900)!

PS: I haven't come back to this site since owning my iPaq h2210 and imate PPC !

JesusFreak316

Aug 19, 2009
Dear fellow internet geeks
Please focus on getting Mer to work on HTC Touch Pro.
That would be a decent N900 alternative, and much cheaper.
And it would mean I wont have to wait another 5months for the N900 to become available (Aust)

Where the hell is mdrobnak with his tutorial & mer ROM?!!?!
Sorry for offending you geeks, its just my sense of humour, as I once were a humble geek

The only MAJOR improvements to Touch Pro i wish was made:
1) could have increased screen size + pixels to 800x480!!!!
2) could have used A8 instead of old A11, but i can get over it if OS is sexy.
3) they used WinMo: wtf i NEED Maemo5!!!
Seen the evolution of WinMo over many years, now own iPhone + playing with N97.
Wow Symbian has come a long way, longer than WinMo.
OSX is a beast except no multi-tasking = fail!

Why am I posting: I just gotta have a smartphone with slide qwerty, and a really good one without paying AU$900 (ie N900)!

PS: I haven't come back to this site since owning my iPaq h2210 and imate PPC !

Nice necropost. jk ;) But seriously, I'm waiting for fatsal, the developer of android and ubuntu on x1. He said he'll probably make a mer build sometime. I'll then try to get his build working on tp. Until then, I can't do much.

Kangal

Jan 3, 2006
Thank you Jesus (no pun intended).
People so underestimate the power of having a full distro running on these pocket rockets. It would mean backward compatability to an explosion/library of programs.

I liked WinMo back in the days, but now it really isn't appealing.
BTW, I was so hyped about MeeGo, not anymore as it came to my attention that it will differentiate into different versions and wont support cross-compatability like Android.
Dang!
I thought, here is the time for a user-friendly widespread Linux distro to bridge the gap between ARM-and-x86 but it may not be.
Hi-powered ARM processors have never been so admirable!

JesusFreak316

Aug 19, 2009
Thank you Jesus (no pun intended).
People so underestimate the power of having a full distro running on these pocket rockets. It would mean backward compatability to an explosion/library of programs.

I liked WinMo back in the days, but now it really isn't appealing.
BTW, I was so hyped about MeeGo, not anymore as it came to my attention that it will differentiate into different versions and wont support cross-compatability like Android.
Dang!
I thought, here is the time for a user-friendly widespread Linux distro to bridge the gap between ARM-and-x86 but it may not be.
Hi-powered ARM processors have never been so admirable!

For some reason people like to abbreviate my name. ;) But yeah, I agree completely. There are certaing desktop apps with no mobile equivalent, such as midi sequencers or Guitar Pro tablature software (important to me). As of right now I'm trying to talk to fatsal about fixing the Ubuntu build but he lives exactly across the globe from me so it's hard to find time. Mer would probably be better anyways as the interface is more mobile friendly but it just hasn't gotten anywhere.

Kangal

Jan 3, 2006
JesusFreak you sound like an experienced XDAnian.
I just wanted to ask if Haret was the only hope?
Can a custom ROM (non WinMo) be used to boot off instead of running like an emulator
By this I mean XDAndroid for Fuze runs off Haret, can it be booted off the device?
Can Ubuntu/mer if(when) ported become the OS on the device?

By this I mean, once Ubuntu/mer have sorted out the big issues/drivers people would start adopting their own Apps and themes to make it more user friendly.
And if this stage is achieved successfully, can it completely replace the standard ROM.
So that if eg mer froze, I did a soft reset; it will just boot mer back and I won't need to go home to do so.
But if I ever wanted to give/sell the device; I can just Flash the old ROM and give the custom mer ROM on SD as an alternative.
I'm just new to this field, curious, inexperienced and non-developer and wanted to be sure rather than make the assumption.

Wil Badger

Jan 18, 2009
Salt Lake
Not in the near future. Just to many limitations for it to be able to be the main OS. Dual boot is about as good as it's going to get far a long while.

JesusFreak316

Aug 19, 2009
Youu have really weird emulators.
?

@ekin: If by experienced you mean have posted quite a bit and know how to install stuff, then yes. If you mean I know what I'm doing, then no. ;) But seriously, like Wil Badger says, not anytime soon, but theoretically, yes. But by that time, I would think pretty much everyone will have moved onto newer, incompatible phones. And fyi, Android, Ubuntu, Mer, and whatever are not emulated; Windows Mobile is completely shut down, so it runs full speed. I'd just use one of the stripped Winmo builds to boot haret immediately after you turn it one.

Kangal

Jan 3, 2006
Just so everyone knows,
I started a thread on maemo.org since they're the mer community
So far, no comments ... nada.
But hopefully someone might pick up on this project.
And I think it would be very beneficial to both communities.

here's the link
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=48420

Kangal

Jan 3, 2006
Just to give a short update.
Mer on Touch will most likely not come.

"Mer development stopped when Meego was announced"
"Mer^2 sounds like it's targeting N8x0 only"
"MeeGo has more long term goals"
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=583989#post583989

By that sounds there is none and dont expect any community driven attempt to port Mer to HTC devices.
MeeGo wont be around for a long while so dont expect that to hit Touch Pro too as if there is any attempt to port it, it will only be focussed on newer & better devices.

BUT THERE IS HOPE
Apparently a Mer port to Touch Pro is relatively easy
"It's easy to get working,
Just get the smartq5 image, turn it into a rootfs.img, and there you go.
There might be little problems with Xfbdev, touchscreen and wifi, but it's still quite easy to do, IIRC I did Xfbdev + touchscreen + wifi in less than one day. But I've no backup of it ."

phhusson: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=640785&page=64

So if you are a dedicated dev, this port would be pretty useful for many people and would commend you to pick this project up.
Great HTC device + Mobile Linux + Dirt Cheap = A happy user

arrrghhh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
So... Did anyone get this working? Seems like it has died... Phh made it sound pretty easy.

Sorry to dig up dead threads...

Tandyman100

May 22, 2010
I'm going to run the gauntlet for bumping and say that there should really be more done to get Mer on the Touch Pro. It would be FANTASTIC to have a full-fledged linux distro running on the touch pro. Oh, wait, there already is, it's ubuntu. Lemme rephrase that; It would be FANTASTIC to have a full-fledged linux distro with a finger-friendly interface running on the touch pro. There. :)

Any updates here?