[TOOL] [LINUX/MAC] Nexus Tools 2.8 (Featured by XDA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

pepdavies

Dec 1, 2012
Tiverton, Devon
Thanks for developing this tool. It looks great! I can't get it to work on my Chromebook though. The script installs ok I think. Where do I go from there? Commands like sudo fastboot devices don't get recognised. I'd be really grateful for some advice.
Pete

corbindavenport

Feb 26, 2012
Raleigh, NC
corbin.io
Thanks for developing this tool. It looks great! I can't get it to work on my Chromebook though. The script installs ok I think. Where do I go from there? Commands like sudo fastboot devices don't get recognised. I'd be really grateful for some advice.
Pete

Does 'adb' and 'fastboot' register as commands? If not, I think it's a bug in the script I need to fix.

pepdavies

Dec 1, 2012
Tiverton, Devon
Thanks for the quick reply. No, they don't register as commands. I think I'm doing everything correctly, I've used fastboot on Windows and Linux a few times.

Sent from my Nexus 5

r4dik4l

Dec 12, 2009
I am not having luck, after putting the code in via an acer chromebook, it says "unknown command bash"

x2110311x

Feb 9, 2014
Canton, Ohio
www.Quadocraft.com
Yeah, it doesn't seem to be working on the Acer C720 Chromebook. The script will run and install adb and fastboot, but I can't use them.
If I try to run either of them, I get "bash: /usr/local/bin/adb: No such file or directory". The files are there, but I can't run them for some reason, even if you change the permissions to 777.

ahow628

Sep 24, 2010
Indy
Used this tool to flash 4.4.3 on my Nexus 5 via fastboot. So easy.

I had tried when I first got my Nexus 5 to setup my Ubuntu machine for unlocking and whatnot and it would never ever work and I ended up using my work Windows machine.

Thanks!

XqepX

Feb 22, 2012
Yeah, it doesn't seem to be working on the Acer C720 Chromebook. The script will run and install adb and fastboot, but I can't use them.
If I try to run either of them, I get "bash: /usr/local/bin/adb: No such file or directory". The files are there, but I can't run them for some reason, even if you change the permissions to 777.

I have the same problem :/

XqepX

Feb 22, 2012
Hey everyone, the script executed flawlessly and adb and fastboot commands are now recognized.

anyway to update the adb binaries on the arm chromebook?

Running stock 4.4.4 on Nexus 5
I have a Nexus 5 with 4.4.4 too, can you explain me how you did adb and fastboor working on your Chromebook? Would be nice :)

dang025

Jan 8, 2011
I have a Nexus 5 with 4.4.4 too, can you explain me how you did adb and fastboor working on your Chromebook? Would be nice :)

you go into the crosh page Ctrl +Alt +T
then follow these commands
crosh> shell
chronos@localhost / $ sudo -s
localhost / # adb devices

unforunately I can get the permissions box to pop up on my phone so remain stuck at this step

XqepX

Feb 22, 2012
you go into the crosh page Ctrl +Alt +T
then follow these commands
crosh> shell
chronos@localhost / $ sudo -s
localhost / # adb devices

unforunately I can get the permissions box to pop up on my phone so remain stuck at this step
I mean with installing of adb and fastboot on the Chromebook and all that stuff :)

pnin

Nexus Tools install problem

I was eager to try Nexus Tool, but it was a no go on my system...
(Peppermint 5, a Lubuntu Trusty based; uname output "Linux MITRA-pmint5 3.13.0-30-generic #54-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jun 9 22:45:01 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux")

Here's the log of a retry:
Code:
noob@MITRA-pmint5 ~ $ bash <(curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/corbindavenport/nexus-tools/master/install.sh)
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  7211  100  7211    0     0  17752      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 17717
[INFO] Nexus Tools 2.3
[INFO] Please enter sudo password for install.
[ OK ] Sudo access granted.
[WARN] ADB is already present, press ENTER to overwrite or exit to cancel.
[WARN] Fastboot is already present, press ENTER to overwrite or exit to cancel.
[INFO] Downloading ADB for Linux [Intel CPU]...
[INFO] Downloading Fastboot for Linux [Intel CPU]...
[INFO] Downloading udev list...
udev stop/waiting
udev start/running, process 24817
[INFO] Making ADB and Fastboot executable...
[ OK ] Done!
[INFO] Type adb or fastboot to run.

noob@MITRA-pmint5 ~ $ adb
bash: /usr/bin/adb: No such file or directory
noob@MITRA-pmint5 ~ $ fastboot
bash: /usr/bin/fastboot: No such file or directory

Last edited:

iOSh8er

Dec 30, 2010
Hephzibah
I was eager to try Nexus Tool, but it was a no go on my system...
(Peppermint 5, a Lubuntu Trusty based; uname output "Linux MITRA-pmint5 3.13.0-30-generic #54-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jun 9 22:45:01 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux")

Here's the log of a retry:
Code:
noob@MITRA-pmint5 ~ $ bash <(curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/corbindavenport/nexus-tools/master/install.sh)
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  7211  100  7211    0     0  17752      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 17717
[INFO] Nexus Tools 2.3
[INFO] Please enter sudo password for install.
[ OK ] Sudo access granted.
[WARN] ADB is already present, press ENTER to overwrite or exit to cancel.
[WARN] Fastboot is already present, press ENTER to overwrite or exit to cancel.
[INFO] Downloading ADB for Linux [Intel CPU]...
[INFO] Downloading Fastboot for Linux [Intel CPU]...
[INFO] Downloading udev list...
udev stop/waiting
udev start/running, process 24817
[INFO] Making ADB and Fastboot executable...
[ OK ] Done!
[INFO] Type adb or fastboot to run.

noob@MITRA-pmint5 ~ $ adb
bash: /usr/bin/adb: No such file or directory
noob@MITRA-pmint5 ~ $ fastboot
bash: /usr/bin/fastboot: No such file or directory

Did you ever get past this? I am having the same results.

Reactions: pnin

The Gingerbread Man

Sep 4, 2010
Gloucester
Sorry if this sounds dumb, I just wanted to check... I'm looking at purchasing a Chromebook in the near future (acer chromebook 13 top of the range all the **** ARM based)and this looks like an ideal tool for fast boot which I'd be lost without owning nexus devices.

So this tool will download the nesesary files and store them onto the hard drive of the machine and will work without internet connection once the package gets installed? Also having had a reread through the thread we need to turn off OS verification through dev options? Does that effect chrome OS updates or this tool makes an update fail because it has modified system files?

Sorry for all the questions I just want a rough idea of what to expect when I receive a machine to use this tool.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ACastanza

May 21, 2011
Seattle
Same issue as everyone else with the Acer C720, it installs fine and I can see adb and fastboot in /usr/bin/ but attempting to run them gives "No such file or directory".

Anyone have any luck fixing it?

Reactions: pnin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    shjM51Q.png

Nexus Tools is an installer for the Android debug/development command-line tools ADB (Android Device Bridge) and Fastboot for Mac OS X and Linux. The script does not need to be downloaded, simply copy and paste this command into the terminal and run it to install ADB/Fastboot:

Code:
    bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/corbindavenport/nexus-tools/master/install.sh)

and this command to un-install Nexus Tools:

Code:
    bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/corbindavenport/nexus-tools/master/uninstall.sh)

Nexus Tools requires sudo privileges to install/uninstall the adb and fastboot tools to /usr/local/bin, so they can be run without typing the full directory. Nexus Tools is licensed under the GPLv3 license, and the source code is at the GitHub project below.

If you have a problem with Nexus Tools, leave a reply below or as an issue on the GitHub project!

GitHub Project
    XDA News Article
    New in Nexus Tools 2.8:
    • (Hopefully) fixed all problems on Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan
    • Changed installation directory to /usr/local/bin/
    • Removed Mac OS X 10.11 warnings
    • Now downloads binaries over HTTPS
    New in Nexus Tools 2.7 [9-11-15]:
    • Updated ADB binary for Mac and x86 Linux to 1.0.32 platform-tools 23rc_2 (should work with Android M preview)
    There doesn't seem to be much activity here, and I don't own a Chromebook to try this on (yet, awaiting delivery) but I have wondered how well it would work installing crouton and a Linux distro and then using a browser head over to the google SDK page and download and install the package here http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html and see how that works out.

Did install Linux on an SDCard using crouton on an Acer c720. ADB and Fastboot work perfectly on my Nexus 5.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

There doesn't seem to be much activity here, and I don't own a Chromebook to try this on (yet, awaiting delivery) but I have wondered how well it would work installing crouton and a Linux distro and then using a browser head over to the google SDK page and download and install the package here http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html and see how that works out.

I followed these instructions to setup Linux using crouton.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MJZYllAj_o-erv4WF2CKdjtHjT6Wee4t4mj6SlDRG8c

Also this YouTube video:

How To: Ubuntu on Your Chromebook with Crouton: http://youtu.be/wJ4WcfHFjKg

After successfully setting up Linux as described in the links above, the tool on the OP worked great.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Nexus Tools 2.3

New in Nexus Tools 2.3:
    • Now displays diagnostic information if an error occurs
    • Updated links and command to work with GitHub's new link format
    • Generates directories for udev they do not exist
    • Fixed uninstall for Chrome OS
    • General bug fixes and code cleanup